• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

I thought HR too from the first angle, but the outfield camera was more clear and it looked foul to me. Cabrera just needed to hit a fly ball in the 9th to tie, so the Tigers had a chance even with the disputed call. Very strange play in a wild game.

Disappointing with Verlander pitching and the White Sox losing to not make up a game in the standings. Phil Coke is just terrible. I have no confidence he will come in and not allow runs. Leyland gets too caught up in lefty/righty matchups out of the pen. Coke isn't effective at getting out either so leave Villareal in.

Can't wait for this weekend against the White Sox. Tigers need to take advantage with Fister, Max and JV starting. Can't ask for more than that.

Not sure dropping two straight to the Royals and getting shutout by Bruce Chen is the best way to take over first place.

Nobody after Fielder in the order can hit on a consistent basis. The Tigers desperately need a corner outfielder or two next season until Castellanos is ready. Having a DH that actually hits will be nice too.

Edited by GoWings1905

I can't stand Delmon Young. Outside of a couple weeks this season, he has been brutal. Compounding the issue is the fact he bats 5th behind Cabrera and Fielder. You couldn't ask for a better spot to hit. A DH that doesn't hit for much power nor drive in runs and certainly never takes walks. Teams have caught on and will pitch around one or both of Miggy and Prince because they know no one behind them will make them pay. Everything that makes V-Mart so valuable and Young doesn't do any of it. There's no way he is back with the Tigers next season.

Thankfully Dirks has been excellent or imagine how sorry the corner outfield would look. Boesch is a joke offensively and defensively, Berry runs fast and Baker has been a bust addition. Avila and Peralta played over their heads last season. I'm not upset really with either of them really because I think this year is more representative of who they are.

This team is either really exciting to watch or infuriating. The starting pitching has the potential to do damage if they make the playoffs, but I don't have much confidence the offense can score runs against quality pitching.

Edited by GoWings1905

That was one pathetic series. Had major chances in all three games to win in the 9th and again nobody can come up with a clutch hit. Bigger issue though is scoring one lousy run in two days against Bruce Chen and Jeremy Guthrie. How can a team built on power be so inept at hitting homers? They can't manufacture runs with speed, so you get nights like this a lot with a single run on a dozen hits. Orioles took three of four from the White Sox and the Tigers answer is a sweep to the Royals.

Absolutely have to take minimum two of three this weekend against the White Sox. The Tigers are a different team at home and have their three best pitchers going, so they have a huge opportunity to make a statement. Hopefully the offense makes an appearance.

Avisail Garcia is getting called up by the Tigers. You figure they intend to play him or there wouldn't be much of a purpose to have one of your better prospects sitting the bench.

Also, I went to the Mud Hens game last night and wow talk about having absolutely no prospects in the field. Don Kelly played, Ryan Raburn didn't, though I bet both will be back up with the Tigers soon. I was interested to see some of the relief pitching there, however. Daniel Schlereth still blows. A lot. He isn't coming to Detroit even with Coke struggling. Walked three guys and couldn't finish the inning. Luis Marte was really good. AlAl didn't pitch. Bruce Rondon is electric and a future closer. Blew a save, but his velocity is unreal. Hit 100+ multiple times.

EDIT: Just saw Jeff Baker got DFA and Garcia is coming before September 1st. That trade for Baker didn't work out so well.

Edited by GoWings1905

Max Scherzer has been sensational. Consistent and overpowering. If the Tigers make the playoffs, I like their top three starters better than anyone else's in the American League.

So stoked for tonight. JV is going to be pissed off. I'm thinking a shutout, borderline no-hitter performance is coming.

Time to sweep the Sox and pull even for first!

Edited by GoWings1905

Sweeeeep! Perfect weekend for the Tigers complete. JV was the MVP quality pitcher again tonight and now the Tigers are set up nicely to win the division if they keep playing good baseball the rest of the way. 10-4 against the White Sox for the season and there aren't many teams (if any) I enjoy beating more.

Since I rag on him quite a bit, props to Delmon Young for a terrific series and two major clutch hits. He's been hot lately and hopefully can keep swinging the bat well, which would be a huge boost for the offense.

Really impressed with Avisail Garcia so far too. He looks just like Miggy and his hits have all been drilled just like Cabrera's usually are.

Best word for this team is infuriating. If they don't make the playoffs, they can look back among many things and point to a 5-9 record against the pathetic Cleveland Indians (with four more games to go). The Indians starting pitching is a complete disaster and the Tigers have scored four runs in two games. I know anything can happen in baseball, but you can't lose two straight at home with the division at stake to an opponent that won five games in the entire month of August.

Porcello can't get any run support whatsoever. Actually pitching quite well for the past five starts or so and doesn't have a single win to show for it.

The bottom of the order has to start doing something immediately. Young has been hot, but Boesch, Peralta, Avila and Infante have all been terrible lately (Boesch and Avila really the entire season). Doesn't matter how good the starting pitching and bullpen are if you manage only two runs against the likes of the Royals and Indians. Have to salvage at least a game tomorrow before a long road trip.

Edited by GoWings1905

Another gem from Max. Another one-run loss because the offense is just terrible. Another missed opportunity to pull even for first place. The White Sox are 3-7 in their past ten games, the Tigers are 4-6 and three of those wins came against Chicago. Not only are the Tigers getting help from opponents, they swept the team battling with them for first and they still can't take care of business on their own otherwise.

Time to get Brennan Boesch out of the lineup forever. Hitting him 6th every night is beyond stupid now. Let Garcia play regardless of the starting pitcher -- he has hit the ball harder more times this week than Boesch has all year and he actually knows how to field too. I thought the offense would be the strong point of the team, but in reality, it has turned out to be completely pathetic outside of the obvious guys. Dombrowski has some major work to do this off-season even if the Tigers make the playoffs.

Edited by GoWings1905