• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Do you think Mo' is done? I mean, at 42, that's a hell of an injury and a timetable he's looking at.

Smyly vs. Peavy tonight, hopefully the Tigers can get to Peavy and Smyly continues to pitch the way he has been. If you aren't going to beat other divisions' teams, you've got to at least beat up on your own.

Peter Gammons talking:

We were on the back fields at the old Yankees facility in Fort Lauderdale watching pitchers' fielding practice. I commented to Buck Showalter that it seemed strange to me that The Phenom, Brien Taylor, had such problems in the drills and questioned the athleticism necessary for long-term starting prominence.

"Who sticks out?" Buck asked.

"That guy who's now fielding balls at shortstop. He looks as if he could play short or center right now."

"Good call," laughed Showalter. "Mariano Rivera. Remember the name."

Early in Spring Training, he intimated that this might be his last season. If he planned on it to be, it's sad that this is going to influence his decision.

It's been strange week; Chavez dove for, flopped and missed a ball down the line. Next at bat, he steps out the batters box twice. At that point, he's taken out of the game as a precautionary measure because he showed sign of suffering whiplash.

"I love to play the game," Rivera said. "I don't think, to me, going out like this is the right way. ... I don't think like that. With the strength of the Lord, I have to continue."
"Miracles happen, guys," Rivera said. "I'm OK. I'm a positive man. I'm OK. Everything is good. I feel sorry that I let down my teammates but besides that I'm OK. The team will be OK, too."
"Oh, believe it," Rivera said. "I tell you what, if it would have happened, I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm glad it happened while I was shagging. That's what I love to do. I love to do it, and I won't hesitate to do it again."

The hurler's contract with the Yankees expires after this year, but Rivera has no doubts that the team will want him back in pinstripes if he is able to prove that he is fully healthy.

"They will want the old goat," Rivera said with a grin.

If anyone can, Mariano Rivera can.

Nice win for the Tigs! There hasn't been a whole lot of excitement (positive at least) around the Tigers lately, so tonight's game was pretty refreshing to watch. Good to see Peralta find some power finally in a huge spot.

Smyly was again very strong. With Fister coming back Monday, the rotation can hopefully become one of the best if Scherzer and Porcello develop some consistency. The offense is scuffling overall, but I still feel that will come in time.

Put it on the board, Hawk.

Sigh. The Tigers are infuriating to watch right now. The starting pitching throws another gem and the s***ty bullpen gives another win away. They went 77-0 when leading after the 7th inning last season and tonight was I believe loss number six already. Valverde has been brutal, Benoit not much better and Dotel looked like he had never thrown a baseball in the 9th inning.

I guess it would also be nice if the offense could score more than two or three runs per game. No clutch hitting at all, runners left on base galore. Too much talent in that lineup to be scuffling along since the opening series. They gotta start hitting to secure some wins for the great starting pitching. Anything close in the late innings is going to get blown by the bullpen it seems.

I find it surprising and rather unnecessary that Hamels gets 5 games for hitting Harper on purpose. It happens all the time, just because Harper is the 'next big thing' doesn't make it any different.

"I don't know the man," Leyland said of Hamels. "I know he's a very good pitcher, a very talented guy, but when you come out and admit [hitting Harper intentionally] like that -- that ball could have missed, hit him in the head or something else like that -- and you come out and admit that, I think five games is way too light, in my personal opinion. And I would expect that if that was my pitcher, if my pitcher went out and, almost in a braggadocious way, talked about hitting a guy and that, 'I did it on purpose.'

How about Josh Hamilton going 5/5 with 4 HR and 8 RBI tonight?

Rare feat, and a very impressive showing from Hamilton.

18 total bases in one night, good for an AL record. With his 8 RBI, Hamilton tied or outscored every other MLB team playing that night. Those are some amazing numbers. Career game, no doubt.

It was great to see the O's fans giving him a standing ovation after the 4th home run too. Class act by their fans.