• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I think he'll sign a 1 yr cheap contract, pretty much for the winter classic and a last ditch effort at a cup. With the potential UFA signings, we may have a contending team next year.

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

it's time for a changing of the guard. let the young guys come up. in saying that though, the only one i welcome back is Lids. say no to hudler as well.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#43 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

I hope Nick returns of course. Hudler is gone FINALLY. Love Homer and all he's done but it's time to replace him with Nyquist.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#44 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Love the guy. Thank him for all his hard work. For the team, the majority DRW fans, and his own sake, I hope that this was his last year. He will be missed.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#45 JoeBuddy

JoeBuddy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Love Homer for everything he has done, but it's time for him to retire. He is easily the worst skater on this team now and hurts any type of momentum the 4th line ever tried to create. He's turnover prone now and makes Datsyuk and Z have to work twice as hard when he's paired up with them on the PP. Don't get me wrong, I see that he works just as hard as everyone else, but his skill level isn't what it used to be. He has become a defensive liability. Retire with some sort of dignity, Homer.
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond observing Tomas Holmstrom getting hit by the Dallas Stars. (January 12, 2001)

#46 Wingedwheeler2

Wingedwheeler2

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

On a side not.......if I were him, I'd retire.....has anyone ever seen his wife? My son played against his son last fall......and that was the highlight of those 2 games....checking out Homers wife! Tall, leggy redhead....very nice! Lol!

#47 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I say a low cost 1 year 2 way contract. He can play the Classic, a thank you from management. Call him up when needed, and with less wear and tear at the NHL level he may turn out to be a very nice "surprise" for opposing goalies in the playoffs. We Love You Homer!!!

#48 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

On a side not.......if I were him, I'd retire.....has anyone ever seen his wife? My son played against his son last fall......and that was the highlight of those 2 games....checking out Homers wife! Tall, leggy redhead....very nice! Lol!

It's one of those couples where you don't mind that the funny guy got the pretty girl.

#49 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

I think he'll sign a 1 yr cheap contract, pretty much for the winter classic and a last ditch effort at a cup. With the potential UFA signings, we may have a contending team next year.

This. These responses all seem absurd to me- like others have said, if Holmstrom is gone, I believe Lidstrom is gone as well. And there's no way Lidstrom retires this year. Much like Hossa came here in large part to Kopecky, and then the Hawks signed Kopecky along with Hossa the next year.

In regards to Homer being "done" or "useless," there has not been a season in recent memory that did not end with Holmstrom being severely reduced due to the beatings he took over the course of the season. While, yes, he is older now, athleticism was never the key to his game, and we'll all see to start next season Homer hasn't slipped as far as we all assumed.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#50 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

I say a low cost 1 year 2 way contract. He can play the Classic, a thank you from management. Call him up when needed, and with less wear and tear at the NHL level he may turn out to be a very nice "surprise" for opposing goalies in the playoffs. We Love You Homer!!!

Because of his age, won't he have to clear waivers if we try and send him down?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#51 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Because of his age, won't he have to clear waivers if we try and send him down?

He'll have to clear just like anyone else who is not waiver-exempt (3 years), but who would take him? I really can't imagine anyone taking him for their own needs, nor can I imagine anyone taking him just to prevent us from having him.

#52 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Keating is the biggest moron I know. I hate listening to that idiot.

You must have a really nice job, if John Keating is the biggest idiot you know. BTW, I'm pretty sure Larry Murphy gives him a run for his money...

It's one of those couples where you don't mind that the funny guy got the pretty girl.

Lol. My Wife and I were discussing that phenomena the other day. She said, "Yea, we think we can change em all...". Left me wondering what she thinks of me, Lol.

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thank you Holmstrom for a awesome, AWESOME career and ride...but it's time to hang em up. You have nothing to regret if you do.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Honestly I think it's time for a changing of the guard. Homer has been awesome for the wings and gives his all every shift but his role has become too limited.

Knowing how Holland does things though I kind of expect homer back on a one-year contract.