Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

FORWARDS:

Z. Parise(A)-R. Kesler(A)-J. Pavelski

P. Kane-P. Stastny-P. Kessel

D. Brown©-D. Backes-R. Callahan(A)

M. Pacioretty-T. Oshie-B. Ryan

B. Dubinsky

D. Stafford, D. Stepan, J. van Reimsdyk, K. Okposo, C. Atkinson, J. Pominville, B. Gionta, R. Malone, D. Booth, C. Wilson, P. Mueller, A. Miele, J. Langenbrunner, C. Drury, S. Gomez

DEFENSEMEN:

J. Johnson-R. Suter(A)

K. Yandle-K. Shattenkirk

R. McDonagh-J. Carlson

D. Byfuglien

A. Goligoski, J. Faulk, C. Fowler, E. Johnson, P. Martin, B. Orpik, M. Carle, Z. Bogosian, R. Whitney, J. Wisniewski, N. Leddy, J. Blum, J. Gardiner, T. Gleason, M. Komisarek, T. Gilbert

GOALIES:

1) J. Quick

2) R. Miller

3) J. Howard

T. Thomas, C. Schneider, J. Campbell, B. Bishop, A. Montoya, C. Anderson, R. DiPietro

HEAD COACH:

HC: D. Bylsma

J. Tortorella, P. Lavoilette, R. Wilson, J. Sacco, J. Capuano, T. Richards

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams

very nice team. I'd say JVR and Okposo make it. handle on D also

you know, I think you're right. If the three youngsters - Shattenkirk, McDonagh and Bogosian - keep it up, it's going to be tough for Yandle to make it, but I think he will.

and if JVR and Okposo want to make it, they'll have their work cut out for them beating out Pacioretty and Wheeler.

But I think all three do now that I think about it.

Guest blueadams

Damn thats a solid pool of players. Imagine a Callahan-Backes-Brown checking line :scared:

I remember they tried plugging Brown in on the third line last time around...but he was just too valuable, and ended up being on the first line with Kesler and Kane. Nice problem to have though. With him and a few other guys.

Guest blueadams

I do think Pacioretty makes the squad as well. It's starting to be a logjam of forwards for the US which is awesome to see.

I can't say that I've actually seen him play many games in Montreal. And I just happened to kind of not be paying attention when he was here at Yost.

I see that he's putting up a lot of points, and that he's big, but is he a physical player? If not, it will be awfully hard for him to make the squad. If Burke's the GM again, the bottom six forwards will all need to be really tough. And I don't really see Pacioretty cracking the top six.

...on that same token, it's going to be pretty hard for Yandle - as good as he is - to beat out some of the bigger defenders he'll be going up against.

Edited by blueadams

...on that same token, it's going to be pretty hard for Yandle - as good as he is - to beat out some of the bigger defenders he'll be going up against.

On the contrary, I think Yandle is a top 2 American defenseman, right after Suter. He should easily make the 2014 Olympic squad, very underrated in Phoenix I guess.

Guest blueadams

Hot.

lol...in terms of actual TOI, that hypothetical third line might actually end up being our first line.

Guest blueadams

On the contrary, I think Yandle is a top 2 American defenseman, right after Suter. He should easily make the 2014 Olympic squad, very underrated in Phoenix I guess.

Here's why I think Yandle's in an up hill battle...

Take a look at Brian Burke's 2010 blue-liners: (* = missed games due to injury)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Brooks Orpik (6-2, 219)

Tim Gleason (6-0, 217)

Ryan Whitney (6-3, 210)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Brian Rafalski (5-10, 194)

...Seven defensemen, and the second smallest guy is Ryan Suter, who is a very, very tough 6-1, 198lbs. If the makeup of the team in 2014 is anything like the makeup of the team in 2010, there's only going to be room for one finesse defenseman. Maybe two - as it will be on olympic sized ice? But I personally think we'll be storming into Sochi with an even bigger, meaner and tougher team after we saw it come so close to working in 2010.

Dustin Byfuglien (6-5, 265)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Ryan McDonagh (6-1, 216)

Zach Bogosian (6-3, 215)

Kevin Shattenkirk (5-11, 208)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Keith Yandle (6-1, 190)

...Even Shattenkirk, the smallest guy in competition with Yandle for one of those last spots, has 18 lbs on Yandle. That's a lot of weight. Maybe Yandle makes it. I'm not saying he isn't one of our top 7 defensemen. I'm just saying, he's fighting an up-hill battle in terms of the kind of player that we're looking for.

ne name to keep an eye on, and he is just staring is Krieder with the NYR. he is a 6-3/230 C that just signed a month ago and is playing a lot for them in the playoffs. he has great speed. Most expect him to become an 80+ point per year guy.

A couple of other names that you can't forget are Komeiserik (spelling) and Abdelkater for the checking line. Its still 1.5 years away. Lots can happen and more will develop.

Guest blueadams

ne name to keep an eye on, and he is just staring is Krieder with the NYR. he is a 6-3/230 C that just signed a month ago and is playing a lot for them in the playoffs. he has great speed. Most expect him to become an 80+ point per year guy.

A couple of other names that you can't forget are Komeiserik (spelling) and Abdelkater for the checking line. Its still 1.5 years away. Lots can happen and more will develop.

I added Chris Kreider to the list...21 year old high first round American picks that are contributing in the NHL are always on the watch list.

If you're talking about defenseman Mike Komisarek, he's already on the list, but I'd be very surprised if he earned a spot given the competition this time around.

And if you're talking about Justin Abdelkader, please stop wasting my time.

I added Chris Kreider to the list...21 year old high first round American picks that are contributing in the NHL are always on the watch list.

If you're talking about defenseman Mike Komisarek, he's already on the list, but I'd be very surprised if he earned a spot given the competition this time around.

And if you're talking about Justin Abdelkader, please stop wasting my time.

Now, someone has to check. There is always room for gritty 4th line guys. heck draper made canada's team a time or 2. There are reasons for this. Am I saying Justin will make it? nope. i am saying has has a chance, all of which depends on him over the next 1.5 seasons. How he improves will determine a lot. if he gets into the 15-20 goal range while playing a checking role, then he is in the conversation.

Keith Yandle (6-1, 190)

...Even Shattenkirk, the smallest guy in competition with Yandle for one of those last spots, has 18 lbs on Yandle. That's a lot of weight. Maybe Yandle makes it. I'm not saying he isn't one of our top 7 defensemen. I'm just saying, he's fighting an up-hill battle in terms of the kind of player that we're looking for.

I see, certainly makes sense if you're going for size, I just think there is no way Burke ignores the skill of Yandle on those grounds. It would not go over well with fans.

Guest blueadams

Now, someone has to check. There is always room for gritty 4th line guys. heck draper made canada's team a time or 2. There are reasons for this. Am I saying Justin will make it? nope. i am saying has has a chance, all of which depends on him over the next 1.5 seasons. How he improves will determine a lot. if he gets into the 15-20 goal range while playing a checking role, then he is in the conversation.

Did Abdelkader start checking people?

I see, certainly makes sense if you're going for size, I just think there is no way Burke ignores the skill of Yandle on those grounds. It would not go over well with fans.

How much more skilled is Yandle than Shattenkirk or McDonagh though? Enough to make up for the difference in physicality? Both of those guys are having better seasons than him statistically.

Guest blueadams

Howard > Miller

Right now, sure. But Miller's performance in '10 was amongst the best individual performances of all time at the olympics. He's a guarantee on the roster IMO.

and Jon Quick might be the best goalie in the game of hockey right now.

Howard's facing an uphill battle.

Right now, sure. But Miller's performance in '10 was amongst the best individual performances of all time at the olympics. He's a guarantee on the roster IMO.

and Jon Quick might be the best goalie in the game of hockey right now.

Howard's facing an uphill battle.

No. Well maybe..... Both have had a couple very good seasons. Quick is having a great PO run right now, so that will help him. It will come down to who is having the better season in 13/14 between these 2. Miller will most likely be third by that point.

Edited by Richdg

Guest blueadams

No. Well maybe..... Both have had a couple very good seasons. Quick is having a great PO run right now, so that will help him. It will come down to who is having the better season in 13/14 between these 2. Miller will most likely be third by that point.

1) Miller's got time and the talent to recover.

2) In addition to his outstanding playoff performance thus far, Quick was right up there with Lundqvist in having the best regular season amongst NHL goalies.

I love Jimmy, but I don't think he's very close to Quick..

Guest blueadams

Now the real question...How might we stand up to the favorites, Team Canada.

...Here's a look at what their team might look like:

S. Stamkos-S. Crosby-T. Seguin

J. Benn-C. Giroux-C. Perry

T. Hall-J. Toews-R. Nash

E. Staal-R. Getzlaf-J. Eberle

R. Nugent-Hopkins

…P. Sharp

K. Letang-S. Weber

M. Staal-D. Doughty

M. Del Zotto-A. Pietrangelo

T. Myers

…D. Keith, B. Seabrook

C. Price

M. Fleury

R. Luongo

How do we stack up?

#1) I like our advantage in net. Price, Fleury, Luongo...all super talented. All super inconsistent. All super shakey. I like our advantage of Quick, or if he recovers, Miller, in net.

#2) Experience/Chemistry. Rafalski, Langenbrunner and Drury are really the only guys we're losing from the 2010 team due to age. Every other member of that team is still in their prime. The only guys from that team not returning are not returning because younger players have surpassed them. Our team is more or less the same guys, but more developed, and with some nice improvements/additions that weren't quite ready last time around. I expect us to play with much more chemistry in the 2014 games. Canada, on the other hand, is going to have a lot of new young faces. Price in net. Letang, Staal, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Myers on the blue line. Stamkos, Seguin, Giroux, Benn, Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins up front.

#3) Grit. Canada's obviously the most skilled team in the world. That is a fantasy team up there. But there's a reason All-Star teams usually don't work out. 1st skater to 18th skater, we're a much, much tougher team. We've got better role players I think. We're going to be hungrier I think.

I wouldn't say that we're the favorites - far from it. But there's plenty of reason to believe we could win a gold-medal game against them. We weren't nearly as close talent-wise last time around, and we were so, so close.

1) Miller's got time and the talent to recover.

2) In addition to his outstanding playoff performance thus far, Quick was right up there with Lundqvist in having the best regular season amongst NHL goalies.

I love Jimmy, but I don't think he's very close to Quick..

That is true this year. last year Howard had the better year. Like Is said, whoever is playing best during the 13/14 season will start. yes Miller could bounce back. But he is also over 30 and could go the other way. We are after all talking about something 1.5 years from now. We have now idea how each guy will be playing or if there will be any injuries, or if some one else steps up. All can/will happen.

I did notice that abdelkater is centering the 3rd line this year at the WC's. True not all of our top players are there, but C is a little thinner than the wings are for team USA.

Guest blueadams

That is true this year. last year Howard had the better year. Like Is said, whoever is playing best during the 13/14 season will start. yes Miller could bounce back. But he is also over 30 and could go the other way. We are after all talking about something 1.5 years from now. We have now idea how each guy will be playing or if there will be any injuries, or if some one else steps up. All can/will happen.

I did notice that abdelkater is centering the 3rd line this year at the WC's. True not all of our top players are there, but C is a little thinner than the wings are for team USA.

1) Three - well, four (always a chance Tim Thomas could hold on) - goalies in contention. Miller, Quick and Howard. The best two over the next season and a half will be on the team. All things being relatively equal over that time span...Miller is the first choice. He single-handedly carried us to the gold medal game last time around. Quick is the second choice. He, not Howard, was the third goalie on the '10 team. Howard is the third choice.

2) Well, there's Kesler, Pavelski, Stastny and Backes. Parise, Kane and Ryan have centered NHL lines as well. Then there's still Stepan, Legwand, Umberger, Dubinsky, Gomez, etc. We're stronger on the wings, sure. But we have guys that can center lines. Abdelkader would have to have one hell of a breakout season in order to make that team man.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Fowler in the mix somewhere...he seems like he's been doing pretty good at Worlds (I haven't been watching every single game, but just a first impression). I didn't know Callahan and Brown were American - sweeeet!! Goalie's going to be a tough decision - I think Miller's going to make a comeback, Howard will continue to be solid, and I think Quick's pretty much got it going on and will for the next few years. I'd put Quick first in line, but I wouldn't count the other two out at all. We're looking pretty good, and I'm glad we've got a lot of guys to choose from. Canada will be hard to beat, but it looks possible.