• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DangleDangleBeach

Capgeek Rosters

Rate this topic

I'm not one who thinks Lidstrom should/needs/will take a pay cut.

However, I personally don't think that Holland/Lidstrom/Illich are silly enough to go through the situation you described above. If the idea of Lidstrom taking a pay cut was ever to be tossed around I would think that it would be on the premise that a star is signed with that surprlus of money. Meaning: Lidstrom wouldn't sign a new contract until later in the summer when that star has been signed. If Holland sets out to get a star but the market is too tough and ends up with squat then Lidstrom doesnt have to take the cut.

Obviously that scenario was a little tongue in cheek, but really my point is that both signings have to be accounted for together no matter what order they happen. It's all part of the larger puzzle that has to fit together.

In the situation you proposed, what if Holland gets his star player but only has $4 million left to sign Lidstrom? He can't really go to Lidstrom and say here's the money that's left, take it or leave it. When he's signing the star player he's got to leave room for what he thinks Lids will re-sign for anyway. He can't count on a discount.

At this point in Lidstrom's career I'm guessing they all probably have a similar number in their head anyway, plus or minus 500k max. It's one thing when you're signing a young player who shows great potential but is still an unknown, but Lids is a known quantity who'll get a one year contract.

At this point in Lidstrom's career I'm guessing they all probably have a similar number in their head anyway, plus or minus 500k max. It's one thing when you're signing a young player who shows great potential but is still an unknown, but Lids is a known quantity who'll get a one year contract.

I agree with what some have said here before. Realistically speaking, if Lidstrom is still the best defenseman on the team then he'll receive a complimentary salary. It's just the way Ken Holland seems to conduct business, especially with a guy like Lidstrom. Kenny will pay him fairly.

Kronwall is currently the highest paid dman on the team with a 4.75 cap hit. Next year he'll bank a salary of 4.5 mil. If Nick decides to return, which I'm really hoping he will, my guess is that his new contract will have a salary of at least 4.75 mil. With a salary of 4.75 mil, Nick will make more than Kronwall and have the lowest and perhaps fairest cap hit.

Why cant we get Wideman instead of Quincey? Same money proven player & won't be back if Dale has left. Watch the East games those guys are hitting & I don't think most of the wings can handle it, you need some bigger faster guys unless regular season games are fun to watch.

I honestly think that Quincey will only be signed IF Holland cannot land Suter and/or Lidstrom retires. If the cap raises and Holland can get BOTH Suter and Lidstrom, then there is no room for Quincey with Smith expecting fulltime status and Kindl still in the mix. With all three of Quincey/Suter/Lidstrom that bumps Smith back to GR and Kindl as trade/waiver bait and puts a $3.25M(at least) player as our #7. I don't see Holland allowing that much money sitting in the press box...

Defense W/Suter & Lidstrom (if cap increases)

Kronwall - Suter

White - Lidstrom

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl

...like I said, IMO the only way Quincey gets re-signed is if Holland cannot have BOTH Lids/Suts

Kronwall - Lidstrom(Suter)

White - Quincey

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl

...it's kind of a sticky situation, depending on when Holland finds out if the Cap will increase. He is going to have to be VERY aggressive on July 1st for Suter, PLUS offer a qualifying offer to Quincey (@ $3.25M) in order to be eledgible to receive compensation picks if Quincey goes elsewhere. If he finds out before July 1st about the Cap, then he is in a better position. Sign Suter, qualify Quincey (hope he doesn't accept) and then re-sign Lidstrom and get picks for Quincey (1st & 3rd.) If for some reason ALL THREE do sign, like I said I cannot see Quincey sitting at $3.25M (unless Smith is gonna be #7,) he is going to have to unload Quincey and I do not think he will get in trade a 1st and a 3rd, so he may as well offer him the lowest, hope he declines and signs elsewhere...