• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chrisphil1724

chrisphil1724

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Small background,

My name is Chris and believe it or not, I was the Detroit Red Wings' Video Editor from 2005 till 2010. I've been a fan of this site for years and I feel you guys are the best community of Wings fans on the net. I wish I could have put more of this stuff out when I was with the team but seeing how I'm 2 years removed, I feel I can put some of this out to you, the Red Wings fans to see.

My favorite Nick Lidstrom moment is kind of a selfish one but the fans and Nick were so great to help make the moment happen, that I'm very happy the stars alined how they did on the production side of things, both in-arena and on FSN Detroit.

October 15, 2009, the Wings were getting ready to face the LA Kings with just 2 home games left before going on a 5 game road trip. Lidstrom was sitting on career point 998 and these games were seemingly his last shot to get to 1000 points at home. 6 hours before puck drop, at around 1:30pm, I had finished my last video requirement for the game and had only 1 optional video to do, a 1000th Career NHL Point Salute video for the captain. I could have easily skipped the video and moved on to other work (as I did a lot more then just edit videos for the team) but for some reason, I felt like I had to get this video done before tonight's game.

After only working 90 minutes on the video, it was as done as it could get for the night, so I packed up everything and headed down to the Joe. As luck would have it, I was also running in-arena replays that night, the ones you see on the scoreboard. Lidstrom got 999 in the 2nd and 3:24 into the 3rd, he recorded career point 1000. During the first tv timeout of the 3rd, I had a replay of point 1000 ready which we rolled into the video I had made just 4 to 5 hours sooner and well, you can see for yourself how it turned out.

Soon after FSN came back from the TV timeout, I received a texted message from my mom, it said "Did you just do something cool?" I replied, "I think so".

And that's my favorite Nick Lidstrom moment, hope you enjoyed it a little too. What's some of your guy's favorite moments?

Edited by chrisphil1724, 31 May 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Well done. What made you decide to leave the organization?

Also, what's the music used in the video?

#3 woodrow40

woodrow40

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

So many to choose from, but this is one that sticks out to me

Scores a huge goal then immediately after sets up Draper with an incredible pass.

#4 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Very nice! What is the music please?

#5 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

Two words...Dan Cloutier.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Seeing him scoring a goal I thought it was against the Ducks and next shift setting up I guess it was Draper with a perfect pass!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#7 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

You had my dream job.

#8 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

You had my dream job.

I have a friend who is a fanatical Kings fan and he thought the same until he got hired by the organization doing a similar job. They worked him so much he didn't have time to watch any of the games! Sounds like the OP was putting in long hours too. But yeah, great that it came together for Lidstrom's 1000th.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

I can see how the job might not be all that great, since you probably would never get to see the games, but at least you get to be in that environment.

I'd love to work for the Wings, but I don't think they have any use for someone with an MA in History.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 chrisphil1724

chrisphil1724

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Well done. What made you decide to leave the organization?

I get that question a lot and without writing a book, which I probably could, I left for 2 main reasons. First, I was moving to Harrisburg PA to be closer to my girlfriend. (and future Mrs.?)

Secondly, I left because the job became my life. You may be shocked to learn that from 2005 till 2010 I made most videos that were used in-arena and for the teamís personal usage, by myself. Thatís right, a staff of one. I did get help along the way on some projects, but a lot of the time, it was on me to get the job done. Most NHL teams have 4 full time editors, at minimum, on staff however the Wings were getting everything they felt they needed with one person, so in their minds, why would you hire anyone else?

This put me under a lot of pressure to work a lot harder then I should have been to get the job done, day by day. Thereís loving your job, then thereís your job becoming 6 days / 60 to 70 hours of your life a week. No room for friends, family, getting out, and hell watching TV or playing Xbox became hard to find time for. I was hospitalized 3 times in those 5 seasons from stress; my hair was starting to turn gray at the age of 24.

To be clear, no one from the team or anyone else for that matter pushed me to work that hard. I could have easily done the minimum, worked 40 hours a week and been fine. However, Iím a huge fan of the Red Wings and I wanted to do the best I could do for the team and the best I could do to entertain the Red Wings fans. Again I can go on forever but itís a story for another time.

Also, what's the music used in the video?

The theme to the TV show, The Contender. I felt it fix Lidstrom very well so I made it his unofficial theme.

Attached Files

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Two words...Dan Cloutier.

I second that.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

I second that.

I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. If that doesn't happen, I bet that ridiculous '02 team doesn't get past the Nucks.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#13 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. If that doesn't happen, I bet that ridiculous '02 team doesn't get past the Nucks.

I concur. My favorite moment of Lidstrom... Gonna miss him!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#14 chrisphil1724

chrisphil1724

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

So many to choose from, but this is one that sticks out to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjJkR7cOJSc

Scores a huge goal then immediately after sets up Draper with an incredible pass.

I really like that one, most people remember the goal, very few remember the great pass just 10 seconds later.