• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Big fan of this signing. I don't think he'll ever be the "monster" in the NHL but the guy has size and ability to be a good backup or tandem goalie with good d in front of him
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#82 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm ok with this move, Gustavsson will make a decent back up.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#83 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Not flashy but a solid signing. In my dream we'd have Marty but I knew how unrealistic that was especially with Howard in a contract year. Hope this kid turns out like Cleary and finds his potential here.

#84 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Wasn't on my radar at all but I think its a great signing.

The Wings always get great value out of the goalie position. To put things into perspective, the Pens have 7 million locked up on goalies alone. The Wings have 2.75 mil.

This has potential to be one of our strongest tandems in a long time.
Posted Image

#85 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

I assume he'll wear #50.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#86 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

Love the Monster, had a crap deal in TO but think he'll flourish here...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#87 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

Love the Monster, had a crap deal in TO but think he'll flourish here...

Francois Allaire (their goalie coach) won't be coming here, so he should be good.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#88 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Can you imagine a goalie coach telling hasek when he entered the league that he either had to play stand up or butterfly? That's what the Leafs actually did to the monster. Hopefully he is allowed to play to his strengths here.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#89 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

I don't mind this signing at all. It'll be interesting to see how he performs when called upon. :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#90 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

I approve of this signing.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#91 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I saw him quite a bit in the SEL when he actually WAS a Monster. Had high hopes for him when he went to the NHL, but in retrospect Toronto definitely seems like it was a bad fit for him. Bad defense, tons of pressure on the goalie position, lots of media.. didn't help that he had issues with his heart as well.

If there is one place where he'll be able to recover and find his way again, it's here. Lots of fellow swedes, not much pressure on him playing behind Howard, but a great opportunity to play 30+ games if he performs well. There's not much to lose if he continues to be the up and down goalie he's been in TO, but there's a lot to win if he starts living up the nickname again.

Good signing.

#92 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

We now have 7 swedes on the team..Zetterberg,.Franzen, Samuelsson, Nyquist, Kronwall, Ericsson, Gustavsson. :tounge:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#93 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Well, I am one of those that thought Joey Mac was a great backup and surprised that we didn't sign him and instead picked up the Monster. I don't think we need to push Jimmy, before his injury, he was the goalie with the most wins for a long stretch of the season. Hell, wasn't he an alternate in the All-Stars? That's why I thought JMac would be a solid backup. Some goalies don't need to always worry about losing the net after one or two bad outings, that actually shakes their confidence. I hope this doesn't send the wrong message to Jimmy management don't trust him or something. And $1.5 mill/yr, I think we could have done with league minimum to give Gus a shot at proving himself.

I think he's a better choice than Joey, even though I like him and think he is capable I don't think Babcock feels the same way. We need to have a good backup in place that can split the season with Jimmy. I really think that Babcock has over played Jimmy the last couple seasons and if that continues his career will be shortened because his body won't be able to hold up. I'd much rather have a good goalie tandum that we can trust.

I think we will play 30+ games at least. He is a good fit for us.

This would be good.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#94 Jedi

Jedi

Smarter than the average bear? Pfft.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,783 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Looks like with this signing, JoeyMac is asking to be traded, per the latest "twitterrumors" from Andy Strickland.

Goalie Joey MacDonald would like the Red Wings to trade him to team where he has chance to stick on NHL roster. Makes one-way money next (year)

a1e74.jpg

#95 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Looks like with this signing, JoeyMac is asking to be traded, per the latest "twitterrumors" from Andy Strickland.

Not more than fair. He played great for us last year. Hopefully Kenny can make it happen. MacDonald for Nash.

#96 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Meh

#97 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I think the open mindedness of a guy like Bedard, will help him very much,
Alliare is known for having a my way or the highway type attitude, he was/is great with Butterfly goalies.
But very few goalies in the league have a style any more. Most are becoming hybrid goalies, which I guess is a style.

He will come in and not be expected to compete for the starting gig right away, that is a lot of pressure. Now he comes in and knows he is the backup unless something drastic happens (knocking on wood).

The lack of stress and the new goalie coach I think will be a big step in the right direction for this guy!

Decent signing!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#98 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Another reclamation project by Ken which I definitely approve.

He could become a valuable trade asset if he's going to play good for sure :thumbs-up:

#99 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I don't know too much about him, but I am glad Holland has filled the back up role and can move on to more pressing items...Suter/Semin/Nash.

Welcome to Detroit Jonas!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.00 PPG

#100 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image