• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

You couldn't have a 30 team league pop up overnight, obviously, but if this lockout lasts a full year and still has no resolution, I think they could round up a handful of rich people who would want to invest in a new hockey league. Teams in Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Montreal?

I don't care if it's just regional as long as there are good players and I can watch it on TV.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Put a team not an 8 hour drive away from me ill pay to watch it.

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL dissolve into a Euro/Russia super league. I dont need to spend 400 going to a game, anyways. TV, just like euro soccer.

#24 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

I think the old timers had the exact same idea when they created the competing World Hockey Association (WHA). That league only lasted for 7 seasons and it just couldn't make it. Also, it's not like they didn't have the money or the talent. Hell, Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe played in the WHA for 6 seasons. Unfortunately in the end, it was a failed experiment.

#25 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

It would just be easier if players infiltrated another league that provided better benefits. Though, no other North American league would be able to match similar salaries up front. The KHL would have been a viable option but they agreed to recognize NHL contracts, which is looking like a good strategic move to establish by the NHL before entering this lockout. Otherwise the players would have all entered the KHL without restrictions and received competitive salaries. We'd all be CSKA fans right about now.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

It would just be easier if players infiltrated another league

International Leage of Shadows League?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Discuss the idea of a "new NHL." (National Cattle League?) Is the idea appealing to you? What would you like to see in a new league? How would someone, or multiple someones, go about actually creating a new league here in North America? Or would they even be able to? (Is this idea at all feasible?) Discuss potential obstacles. Discuss potential awesomeness. Explore all angles.

When is this due? How long should the response be, Double spaced?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#28 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

When is this due? How long should the response be, Double spaced?

Ha ha ha. It does sound like an assignment!

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

It wouldn't work; Uncle Gary says he has some of the best officials of any sport. Nothing is left.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#30 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think the old timers had the exact same idea when they created the competing World Hockey Association (WHA). That league only lasted for 7 seasons and it just couldn't make it. Also, it's not like they didn't have the money or the talent. Hell, Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe played in the WHA for 6 seasons. Unfortunately in the end, it was a failed experiment.

How was the WHA a failure?

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

It wasn't a failure. Any time a league merges with teams from their "competition", no matter how few, it's far from being considered a failure.

#32 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

I guess I would compare it's lack of longevity as a 'failure'. In terms of hockey star value and as an alternative to the NHL, it was great. But that only lasted so long. To me, pass or fail could be based on longevity. That's how I looked at it.

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Right now the NHL could fold, and I really wouldn't care.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Right now the NHL could fold, and I really wouldn't care.

Exactly how I feel. Greedy douchers.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I guess I would compare it's lack of longevity as a 'failure'. In terms of hockey star value and as an alternative to the NHL, it was great. But that only lasted so long. To me, pass or fail could be based on longevity. That's how I looked at it.

To me, it succeeded far more than it failed. Yes, it only lasted 7 years. Yes, it had teams fold, move, miss payroll, be bought and sold like crazy... but it ushered in a new era. Player salaries increased dramatically; the NHL's Reserve Clause was eliminated, allowing free agency; the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18 in 1979; major pro hockey was brought to new markets in both the WHA and NHL (some very deserving, some less than so); and the influx of European players began in earnest. While only one WHA team survives today, the league's impact on the game today is undeniable.

#36 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

To me, it succeeded far more than it failed. Yes, it only lasted 7 years. Yes, it had teams fold, move, miss payroll, be bought and sold like crazy... but it ushered in a new era. Player salaries increased dramatically; the NHL's Reserve Clause was eliminated, allowing free agency; the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18 in 1979; major pro hockey was brought to new markets in both the WHA and NHL (some very deserving, some less than so); and the influx of European players began in earnest. While only one WHA team survives today, the league's impact on the game today is undeniable.

I agree with your points there. Those are successes that have been implemented/carried over into the current game as we know it. I guess I focused more on the roulette wheel of teams folding, payroll issues, etc... But hey, now we have the NHL and... wait a minute... DAMN YOU NHL!!! :)

#37 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't think North America and the United States especially could support 2 pro hockey leagues, simply not enough interest in hockey or money from fans to go around. Ultimately what would happen is one league folds or merges with the other league and we wind up in the same situation as we have now

#38 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

I don't think North America and the United States especially could support 2 pro hockey leagues, simply not enough interest in hockey or money from fans to go around. Ultimately what would happen is one league folds or merges with the other league and we wind up in the same situation as we have now

True. You could use the IHL and AHL merger as a somewhat comparable example. Two leagues competing for players, not enough fans to keep all the teams afloat, so they merged into the current AHL and that seems to work.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Start-up costs would be too high. Even if a new league started up, it would be short-lived. Besides, the NHL has a monopoly on "rich people who want to own hockey teams".