• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Detroit: Circa June 2018...

Rate this topic

Going back to the begining for a bit here. I started this thread talking about the RW needs. We have a bunch of good young Dman prospects, and have several good young G prospects. There really isn't much need there. Our needs are Forwards. To be specific RH shooting forwards with size. We currently don't have a single C that is Rhed and very few RH shots in general. Keeping that in mind and where we are drafting-18th in each round, I will have a updated list of prospects late today/tomorrow. Some old names and some new ones. NA players and Euros.

Going back to the begining for a bit here. I started this thread talking about the RW needs. We have a bunch of good young Dman prospects, and have several good young G prospects. There really isn't much need there. Our needs are Forwards. To be specific RH shooting forwards with size. We currently don't have a single C that is Rhed and very few RH shots in general. Keeping that in mind and where we are drafting-18th in each round, I will have a updated list of prospects late today/tomorrow. Some old names and some new ones. NA players and Euros.

You're the man rich, thanks!

Ok, here are some names to watch for, by round. The later the rounds the newer the names. The high end guys are fairly well set.

1st:

Valentin Zykov 6-0/210 RH RW

Frederik Gauthier 6-5/225 LH C

Anthony Mantha 6-4/190 LH LW/C

Bo Horvot 6-0/205 LH C

Adam Erne 6-1/210 LH LW

2nd:

Mike McCarron 6-5/230 RH RW

William Carrier 6-2/200 LH C

Justin Bailey 6-3/190 RH RW/C

Jason Dickinson 6-1/180 LH C

Steve Santini 6-3/205 RH D

3rd:

Adam Tambellini 6-2/170 LH C

John Hayden 6-3/220 RH C/RW

Myles Bell 6-0/210 RH RW

Bogdon Yakimov 6-5/210 LH C

Zach Sanford 6-3/185 LH LW

4th:

Matt Buckles 6-2/210 RH C

Hudson Fasching 6-2/215 RH RW

Avery Peterson 6-2/195 LH C

Peter Cehlarik 6-2/195 LH LW

Carl Dahlstrom 6-3/210 LH D

5th:

Antoine Bibeou 6-3/205 G

Niklas Hansson 6-1/175 RH D

Ryan Graves 6-4/220 LH D

Nicholas Paul 602/200 LH LW

Stephan Harper 6-1/200 LH LW

6th:

Parker Reno 6-2/195 RH D

Marcus Hogberg 6-4/205 G

Tyler Hill 6-6/225 LH LW

Villiam Haag 6-1/200 LH LW

Brent Pederson 6-2/205 LH LW

7th:

Anton Cederholm 6-2/205 LH D

Greg Betzgold 6-2/195 LH C/LW

Keegan Kanzig 6-7/240 LH D

Jordan De Kort 6-4/195 G

Sergey Stetsenko 6-3/191 LH D

Now of course this is not an all inclusive list. Go to central scouting for that. But these are guys are ranked close to where the Wings are picking in each round that fit our needs.

There are several neat options that we could take. For example, we could draft Gauthier, McCarron, and Yakimov in the first 3 rounds. All 3 are 6-5/210 or bigger. That would fix our lack of size problems over night!

You could also go all USA. Erne, McCarron, Hayden, and Fasching in the first 4 rounds. USA! USA! USA!

Edited by Richdg

Do you think the Wings brass will just draft the biggest players, or will they draft the best players?

I don't think you enter the draft looking for "need", if you're the Wings. You want the best available player ... right?

Guest DeGraa55

Do you think the Wings brass will just draft the biggest players, or will they draft the best players?

I don't think you enter the draft looking for "need", if you're the Wings. You want the best available player ... right?

We as fans have wanted size for years. The wings want small Europeans though.

STEVE SANTINI D 6'2 207 R Mar. 7/95 USA U-18 USNTDP

FREDERIK GAUTHIER C 6'5 210 L Apr. 26/95 Rimouski QMJHL

VALENTIN ZYKOV RW 6'0 210 R Apr. 15/95 Baie-Comeau QMJHL

KERBY RYCHEL LW 6'1 200 L Oct. 7/94 Windsor OHL

JOSHUA MORRISSEY D 6'0 182 L Mar. 28/95 Prince Albert WHL

MADISON BOWEY D 6'1 200 R Apr. 22/95 Kelowna WHL

ANTHONY MANTHA F 6'4 190 L Sept. 16/94 Val-d'Or QMJHL

1st round, if ANY of these are available I would love it if Holland took one of them!

It's funny how we are all about size, and all over Mantha, but he is one of the lightest of all these guys! For some reason, I a gravitated towards Zykov. I just think he is the type of player Holland is going to take. If Santini falls to the second round I would love to add him to our impressive list of prospect D. I love the local kid McCarron, but I think his stock is rising and even if he went in the 2nd, he probably won't be around for us to draft. NOT UNLESS Holland trades Filppula for a 2nd rounder (maybe to Dallas.) That would give us the #40 and #48 in the 2nd round. McCarron and Santini would be a HIGHLY successful 2nd round! In the 3rd, Fasching would be a steal I think... if Holland was able to deal Fil for that extra 2nd and our first three rounds looked like this:

1st: Mantha (or Zykov)(or the other guys I listed)

2nd: McCarron, Santini

3rd: Fasching

I would roll around all day in my kibbles and bits praising Hollands name!

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest The Axe

We as fans have wanted size for years. The wings want small Europeans though.

Yes, the Wings have enough 5'10", 180 lb. Euros who can stickhandle a manhole cover around you. They need some 6'4" 230 lb. Canadian boys who can smash your face into the boards. Think Franzen, but tough.

Do they really want small Euro`s, or are they drafting who they think is the best player, or at least the most upside.

From 2012:

Mike McKee, D – Lincoln Stars (USHL)
5th round, 140th overall
Height: 6'5 Weight: 229 lbs

James De Haas, D – Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL)
6th round, 170th overall
Height: 6'3 Weight: 197 lbs

Rasmus Bodin, C/LW – Ostersunds IK J18 (J18 Elit – Swe. Jr.)
7th round, 200th overall
Height: 6'6 Weight: 207 lbs

Guest Johnz96

Yes. For example Domi looks like he will go around 18 if he is available and you have determined that of all the players left he is most likley to make an impact in the NHL you have to go for him over someone who is bigger but not deemed to be as good.

And contrary to the general belief around here the Wings have been trying to address the need for size for quite some time now

Bodin McKee last year

Nedomlel, Tvrdon, Sproul and Jurco in 2011

Aubry, Sheahan in 2010

Nestrasil in 09

Cayer and Nicastro in 08

Andersson and Smith in 07

Oslund and Mathias in 06

Stamler, May, Ryno, Lofberg and Abdelkader in 05

Stoylorov and Kolosov in 04

Edited by Johnz96

Speaking of Talented Young D Prospects:

Not even mentioning the guys who will be in the NHL next season, just look at this list!

Ryan Sproul:

6'4" 200lbs. Right Handed 20

Mattias Backman:

6'2" 176lbs. Left Handed 20

Xavier Ouellet:

6'1" 190lbs. Left Handed 19

Nick Jensen:

6'1" 193lbs. Right Handed 22

Alexi Marchenko:

6'2" 183lbs. Right Handed 21

Adam Almquist:

5'11" 174lbs. Left Handed 22

Max Nicastro:

6'3" 225lbs. Right Handed 23 (This guy could see some NHL time soon! He is huge too!)

Richard Nedomial:

6'5" 231lbs. Left Handed 19 (Geez! at 19 he is a beast!)

Ben Marshall:

5'9" 179lbs. Left Handed 20 (smallest of all the D prospects, but has already broke into the top 25 despite being drafted in 2010)

James De Haas:

6'4" 205lbs. Left Handed 19 (Already in the top 25 and climbing fast, draft just last year! He is growing like a weed!)

Mike McKee:

6'4" 245lbs. Left Handed 19 (This guy everyone is excited to see! Huge, HUGE man and only 19!)

If Holland could add Steve Santini to this mix we could possibly have THE BEST group of D prospects in the NHL.

Steve Santini:

6'3" 205lbs. Right Handed 18 (tons of room to grow! Will probably be 225lbs. before he would see the NHL)

I know the thread says circa 2018, but this group of D is going to take us into the 2020's! I am excited!

Yes, the Wings have enough 5'10", 180 lb. Euros who can stickhandle a manhole cover around you. They need some 6'4" 230 lb. Canadian boys who can smash your face into the boards. Think Franzen, but tough.

....and Canadian... :D

Rich- what is you opinion on Klimchuk? If he is available at 48 he could be our future Sniper. He also plays good defense, nice size, his coach raves about his personality, and also is very coachable. I also like Lodge, Hartman, Bailey, De La Rose, and McCarron in the 2nd.

Edited by MasterPavel

Rich- what is you opinion on Klimchuk? If he is available at 36 he could be our future Sniper. He also plays good defense, nice size, his coach raves about his personality, and also is very coachable. I also like Lodge, Hartman, Bailey, De La Rose, and McCarron in the 2nd.

I wish we had the 36th pick overall....if I am doing my math correctly, I belive we had the 48th in the 2nd. There are 30 picks in the 1st round, then add 18 more...I realize you just added 18 and 18, but I do believe we have the 48th. Unless we made a trade that I am unaware of! :D

I wish we had the 36th pick overall....if I am doing my math correctly, I belive we had the 48th in the 2nd. There are 30 picks in the 1st round, then add 18 more...I realize you just added 18 and 18, but I do believe we have the 48th. Unless we made a trade that I am unaware of! :D

I'm an idiot my bad lol.

Another potential 2nd rounder- Oliver Bjorkstrand. He has a good right handed shot, nice speed, good on the forecheck, likes to shoot from the slot, and isn't afraid of driving the net. He needs to put on weight, and become more defensively responsible.

Guest Johnz96

Not a fan of Domi, and it has nothing to do with his dad. How is he different from the other forwards that we have? Nyquist, tatar, Jarnkrok, etc..... he is a small play making good shooting F. We have a ton of those guys.

As for Rychel, I see him and think a young Dan Cleary. He is an effort guy no doubt. But that is all that he has that stands out. Average size, speed, skills. I just have a hard time seeing him as a future star. IMHO of course.

Domi is going to top out at over 200 lbs and is very strong with a low center of gravity kind of like his dad.

Hopefully the Wings will have the size issue addressed before 2013 draft picks overripen. By 2018 (when 2013 picks might be ready to be regulars with the Wings), the Wings will probably still have Zetterberg and Franzen and only a handful of other regulars from this year's squad on the team.

Edited by Johnz96

Domi is going to top out at over 200 lbs and is very strong with a low center of gravity kind of like his dad.

Hopefully the Wings will have the size issue addressed before 2013 draft picks overripen.

I really like Domi. If he was 6'+ he would be a top 5 pick imo. I think he is going to turn into a stronger St. Louis... Edited by MasterPavel

Because of all the talent we already have in the system on the blueline, it isn't or shouldn't be a priority for the first 3 or 4 rounds, unless a super drops. IE if Santini were available in the second, then hell yes you take him. 1st round talent 2nd round price.

My personnel hope is we take 4 forwards with our first 4 picks, and in a perfect world they would all be 6-2 or better. The good news is, there are a bunch of guys available this year that project to be that size now or in another year or 2. Most guys add 1-2 more inches by 21.

We also have to start adjusting to the new conference. We are small. At forward anyway, so we need to find bigger talented guys. The dyas of 5-10/180 pounds guys leading a team to the SC are over. Even the Hawks "smaller" forwards have decent size to go with their speed and skill.

When drafting you always pick the best available. In this draft we have 5-7 potential superstars then another group of about 60 that anyone of thme could be a good solid long term player. The differences in talent from 15 through about 80 is very very small this year. Then there is another group of about 40-50 that should be good 3rd line types.

Guest The Axe

I'm an idiot my bad lol.

Youre just bad at math. You make up for it in language arts, though.

Now some of my thoughts.

Best pure goal scorer? Mantha. The questions on him are, is he a Petr Klima type player (only offense) or will he be a Madano type player?

Guys that I think will be in the NHL the fastest? Mantha and Bell.Mantha will arive fast becasue he is a pure scorer. Guys like him don't take long. as for Bell, he is also a great scorer and he is already 20. he got passed over last year due to a tragic car accident. he was driving, got into an accident and his girlfriend died. He was cleared of all charges, wasn't drunk or stoned. Just a true accident. This year he got moved to Wing for the first time and put up 90+ points with 40+ goals. he reminds me of a bigger more physical version of Parise. he is a sniper.

Best power forward? McCarron. No question about it. has size and uses it. Not a true fighter, but will drop the gloves if/when needed. he likes to play in front of a goalie and force the puck home. But he has a great shot as well. Moves well for a guy his size. One of the sites compared him to Clark Gillies. For those old enough to remember, Gillies is a HOF forward that was part of the Islanders dynasty in the late 70's.

best sleepers: Bell and Haag. Both were born in 93. Most scouting sites over look each. How you overlook a guy that scores 90+ points in junior is beyond me, but it is the case. As for Haag, he was never drafted and did provide some good reviews in a 11 game tryout with Muskegon this year. 7 points in 11 games. not to bad. he has decnet size and likes to play low in front of the net. best way to describe his game is Homer but can skate.

One last thing for tonight. There are a bunch of guys on this list that are going to play college hockey. Meaning we will not see them for 3 years. McCarron, hayden, fasching, Buckles, Tamballini, santini, etc... are all college bound.