• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Detroit: Circa June 2018...

Rate this topic

This will be our most interesting draft in many many years. Highest pick since the early 90's, full load of picks, and lots of teams looking to make deals. Is Letang in play? Ryan? A host of others of course. Do we move up? Move down and add picks? The next 60 hours will be fun!

Interesting:

In terms of Sunday's draft and the Wings' picks, it appears that the Wings are quite happy with the 18th pick in the 1st round (they will pick 48th and then 79th, 109th, 139th, 169th and 199th), and, somewhat surprisingly, Wings director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell suggested that the Wings will probably draft a forward as opposed to Ye Olde Beste Player Available while speaking with the Windsor Star's Bob Duff...

“We’d really like to get a forward, unless there’s a defenceman that’s too good to pass up,” Wings head scout Joe McDonnell said of the team’s likely plan when they make their first-round pick at No. 18 overall in Sunday’s draft at New Jersey’s Prudential Center. “When it comes to our pick, if we feel there’s two players that are even we’ll lean toward the forward. We have a lot of good, young defencemen – (Ryan) Sproul, (Xavier) Ouellett, (Brian) Lashoff, (Mattias) Backman. We think we have a number of good ones. If we can add a little size up front, it would be beneficial.”

Getting bigger up front is an ongoing process for the Wings and it will continue on draft day.

“It’s just the way the game has evolved,” McDonnell said. “It’s a big man’s game. I’m not saying there’s no room for smaller guys, but if you can get a big, skilled guy, you go that route.
We’ll still take small guys if we have to, but we’re looking to get bigger. We have bigger guys coming up in (forwards Tomas) Jurco and (Riley) Sheahan.”

The Wings will go earlier on draft day than they have in many years. It’s the quickest they will be called to the podium in the first round since 1991, when they also selected a big forward, Martin Lapointe.

“We’re excited,” McDonnell said. “At 18, we know we’ll get someone we really like. The draft in general is strong, in the first round and even into the second round. It’s deep at the top end of the draft and then it peters out. There will be guys we like even in the seventh round, but the high-end part of the draft is good. At 18, we’ll get a quality player.”

I think that means I'm wrong with picking Domi. However recent reports have him going earlier anyways.

He was always going to go earlier than 18th. Most have him 13th or so. But he doesn't fit our needs as I predicted and now there is confirmation. Forwards and big ones is the goal.

Guest Johnz96

He was always going to go earlier than 18th. Most have him 13th or so. But he doesn't fit our needs as I predicted and now there is confirmation. Forwards and big ones is the goal.

He is going to be a pro player from about 2014-15 to about 2029-2030. Our needs for those years will be the best player available not another,Bowen, Eriksson, Kuznetsov, Golubovsky, Wallin, Butsayev,..

ISS has Domi ranked at 25th NA skater and CSS has him ranked at 19th NA skater and they are the main scouting services not employed by NHL teams, the rest are writers and fans talking about players they have never even seen

He is going to be a pro player from about 2014-15 to about 2029-2030. Our needs for those years will be the best player available not another,Bowen, Eriksson, Kuznetsov, Golubovsky, Wallin, Butsayev,..

ISS has Domi ranked at 25th NA skater and CSS has him ranked at 19th NA skater and they are the main scouting services not employed by NHL teams, the rest are writers and fans talking about players they have never even seen

You know that is opinion. Nothing more. Same with any prospect. Any one of them can make it and any one of them can fail.

Guest Johnz96

Guess I should have stayed with my very first post on this thread!

How is a tall, weak, skinny, perimeter play who avoids contact more of a power forward than a short, strong, physical SoB that likes to get under the opponent's skin.

Lofberg 2.0

Edited by Johnz96

How is a tall, weak, skinny, perimeter play who avoids contact more of a power forward than a short, strong, physical SoB that likes to get under the opponent's skin.

Lofberg 2.0

He is 18. In 5 years he will be 220ish, still be fast, and still be a sniper, which is what I said he was from the beginning. he could be Petr Klima on the down side to Mike Modano on the high side. Domi is Hudler that fights.

Guest Johnz96

He is 18. In 5 years he will be 220ish, still be fast, and still be a sniper, which is what I said he was from the beginning. he could be Petr Klima on the down side to Mike Modano on the high side. Domi is Hudler that fights.

Domi doesn't fight but if you're going to compare him to Hudler, here is a more accurate one 'a faster, much stronger Hudler who is very physical.

Guest Johnz96

Johnz- a lot of scouts have saw more of him than any of us. They say he plays physical, has a great shot, and drives the net. He needs to work on his defense but his offensive game has no holes...

The scouts are the ones that refer to him as not being physical.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/06/30/3898/pick-by-pick-red-wings-at-the-nhl-draft-2/

1-20. LW Anthony Mantha, 6-4, 190, 67-50-39-89-71, Val-d’Or (QMJHL). The grandson of former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Andre Pronovost, Mantha stands 6-foot-4 and was the only 50-goal scorer in the draft. A pure sniper with a tremendous shot, Mantha was knocked in most pre-draft scouting reports for being a perimeter player who lacks competitiveness. “He’s a big, rangy winger who has battled inconsistency shift to shift, but this is a goal-scorer,” said TSN analyst Ray Ferraro.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/29/get-to-know-a-prospect-anthony-mantha/

“Big stud that can skate, hard to handle, can dominate. Long stride, soft hands, not physical, great feel, didn’t do enough in Halifax, needs to be WAY more physical.” — Mark Seidel – North American Central Scouting

I am watching the draft and Bob MacKenzie referred ti him as a perimeter player. Hopefully when he fills out he learns to use his size more physically but if he can be a 30+ goal scorer, even he doesn't, it is a great pick

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7hKBn9BRBlAAEMBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzODk1MTQxBHNlYwNzYy1ib3QEY29sbwNhYzIEdnRpZANWSVAyNjRfMTk4/SIG=12j9iecif/EXP=1372655617/**http%3a//video.search.yahoo.com/search/video%3fp=anthony%2bmantha

Draft is over. No the names are never right in mock drafts. But it looks like the RW's and I were seeing and thinking the same way. Lots of forwards early with a couple of BIG Dmen late. Love the Mantha pick. Lets see how things turn out over the next 3-5 years.

I didn't see the need to start another thread as this is basically the same subject, but I found this article today titled "Your 2021-2022 Detroit Red Wings", gave it a read, and I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2021-2022-detroit-red-wings/

I'm surprised Nyquist is slotted as the Captain. Not that I don't think he could be a great leader, I just really have a feeling Deke is going to be the cornerstone of this team once the "new wave" begins, after Z and Pav retire...

I'm loving that Abby is still an established first line forward 8 years from now, too. lol

Thoughts?

Edited by Wingsfan72

I can really see Dekeyser becoming the captain in the future. He's already very mature guy and plays like a veteran. And of course, he's from Michigan and been a Red Wings fan since he was born.

I didn't see the need to start another thread as this is basically the same subject, but I found this article today titled "Your 2021-2022 Detroit Red Wings", gave it a read, and I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2021-2022-detroit-red-wings/

I'm surprised Nyquist is slotted as the Captain. Not that I don't think he could be a great leader, I just really have a feeling Deke is going to be the cornerstone of this team once the "new wave" begins, after Z and Pav retire...

I'm loving that Abby is still an established first line forward 8 years from now, too. lol

Thoughts?

Always love looking to the future. Cool article.

There are inherent flaws in though:

1. There's no way that Detroit doesn't draft someone between now and then, that will make this roster.

2. Where's Cleary? :lol:

0% chance of this happening. I understand that this is for fun, but the chances that all of our prospects 1. work out, 2. don't get traded, 3. leave as UFA's is completely unrealistic. No you can't project trades, FA signings, or future drafts. But there are other issues. Where is Kindl? He will only be 34 ish at this point and is developing nicely. Why would Abby who is playing RW now, switch back to LW and move the natural big time scorer mantha to RW? Makes no sense.