• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Do you live your whole life believing the LGW hype without any change of mind?

Quincey is Good. Newsflash: Quincey is F$#king GOOD.

He spent half the year and all the playoffs being the better defensive half of a pairing with a wide-eyed, flailing rookie on it going up against the league's best. For every goal given up and subsequent "Smith Sucks" post, Quincey stopped 2 more.

It's time people WAKE the F#&k up and realize we have 6 good to really good defensemen right now. Are any of them Norris contenders? No. But we might have the best all around D corps in the league. That last playoff run was a real eye opener for me. Are you going to basj our guys all the way up to the hoisting the cup point in time???

I don't disagree that Quincey is solid - I think it's more about the fact that he's pretty much expendable now. During the playoffs, both Smith and DeKeyser were used in more situations, more prominently than he was. He's still going to be a serviceable defender next season, and he's good at all the little things. 

I think people had too high of expectations when Quincey got here. The team gave up a 1st rounder and paid him 3.75 per. He's not the guy who put up 38 points in Los Angeles; not in Detroit's system. He's a stabilizing influence for Smith who can block shots, uses smart positioning and eats up minutes.

Should DeKeyser have a solid season (and I think he will), I don't imagine the team is going to re-up Q. Ericsson and DeKeyser are going to be re-signed. They'll likely let Lashoff play on the bottom pairing and use Almquist or Nicastro as the #7.

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Quincey and Kronwall were the only d men who played both PP and PK.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't disagree that Quincey is solid - I think it's more about the fact that he's pretty much expendable now. During the playoffs, both Smith and DeKeyser were used in more situations, more prominently than he was. He's still going to be a serviceable defender next season, and he's good at all the little things. 

I think people had too high of expectations when Quincey got here. The team gave up a 1st rounder and paid him 3.75 per. He's not the guy who put up 38 points in Los Angeles; not in Detroit's system. He's a stabilizing influence for Smith who can block shots, uses smart positioning and eats up minutes.

Should DeKeyser have a solid season (and I think he will), I don't imagine the team is going to re-up Q. Ericsson and DeKeyser are going to be re-signed. They'll likely let Lashoff play on the bottom pairing and use Almquist or Nicastro as the #7.

I like your sentiment a lot more. But I dont agree with not re-upping Q. He's 27 = prime. 4 mil per is fair for a good #3.

#24 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't think Q is the long term option for the #3 though.

I think Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, and Dekeyser will all be ahead of him in the lineup.

Maybe He gives you a chance to play Smith as 5 or 6 while he gets comfortable this coming season, but after that I assume (I know dangerous) Smith will be 4, Dekeyser and Ericsson will fight for #2 and #3.

All of this of course could change in a NHL season, but I truly think the top four for many years to come with consist of Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Smith.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#25 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

I don't think Q is the long term option for the #3 though.
I think Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, and Dekeyser will all be ahead of him in the lineup.
Maybe He gives you a chance to play Smith as 5 or 6 while he gets comfortable this coming season, but after that I assume (I know dangerous) Smith will be 4, Dekeyser and Ericsson will fight for #2 and #3.

All of this of course could change in a NHL season, but I truly think the top four for many years to come with consist of Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Smith.

Kronwall is getting old, tho.

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Jets will look a lot different for sure. Anyone still have that pic of him holding 2 gucchi bags?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Jets will look a lot different for sure. Anyone still have that pic of him holding 2 gucchi bags?

Isn't Gucci a female cloth designer?

Anyway I think the Jets lack identity and their GM/coach just don't seem to have a real plan. Are they a tough, skilled, defensive first or run and gun team? Nobody I guess not even Chewelldayoff knows. I am really hypp they are back but at some point fans will want to see improvements and I am not sure Setogouchi is that.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Anyway I think the Jets lack identity and their GM/coach just don't seem to have a real plan. Are they a tough, skilled, defensive first or run and gun team? Nobody I guess not even Chewelldayoff knows. I am really hypp they are back but at some point fans will want to see improvements and I am not sure Setogouchi is that.

Was a photoshop of him holding 2 bags, set as in two gucci... He is a finish man basically if someone feeds him the puck i think
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#29 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Right now the Jets have no idea what they are.  Noel is a good coach, but Cheveldayoff is essentially taking the summer off aside from signing nobodies and getting Setoguchi.  Bogo and Wheeler filed for arbitration.  they will likely each get around 4-5 mil.  They signed Halischuk.....whoopedydoo!  SIGN YOUR RFA'S DUMMY!!!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#30 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

If they don't get their crap together the Jets will continue to suck and once the "we got our team back (OK we really stole another team but who's keeping track)" excitement is over they'll be right back to a being a fringe team that can't compete.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

If they don't get their crap together the Jets will continue to suck and once the "we got our team back (OK we really stole another team but who's keeping track)" excitement is over they'll be right back to a being a fringe team that can't compete.

Coyotes, nuff said on that part.

The Jets have a lot of the pieces to be a playoff team, but the GM needs to lay off the excessive bottom 6 signings, we know all about that...  And he needs to get his top RFA's locked up.  Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba will be nice additions to the Jets next season.  They're a top 6 sniper away from being a real threat.  I hate to say it, but Brunner would be a great fit on the Jets.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.