• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I feel like they made them believe that a deal was in place so they could spin it to the media that it's all a lie and Steve is too fragile to handle the media. Seems all too convenient to me. Probably a tactic to squeeze more out of them.

Well, there's zero evidence of that.  If we're spinning completely baseless scenarios then it's equally likely that Bertuzzi's lawyers falsely said they had a settlement in order to make Moore's camp look like the bad guys for keeping this from being resolved. 

The reality is, no one knows what is actually going on in this circus.  But man the NHL should've made this go away long ago.  

#62 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Well, there's zero evidence of that.  If we're spinning completely baseless scenarios then it's equally likely that Bertuzzi's lawyers falsely said they had a settlement in order to make Moore's camp look like the bad guys for keeping this from being resolved. 

The reality is, no one knows what is actually going on in this circus.  But man the NHL should've made this go away long ago.  

I agree for the most part, but what bothers me about the recent statements coming out of the plaintiff's side is this:  "Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."  He's never had an issue handling the media before.  I call BS.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I agree for the most part, but what bothers me about the recent statements coming out of the plaintiff's side is this:  "Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."  He's never had an issue handling the media before.  I call BS.

Honestly I haven't followed the case super closely but has Moore ever handled the media himself regarding his lawsuit?  I always remember his lawyer or brother commenting.  Either way it's established that he has trouble with memory and making decisions as a result of his injury. 

As for that comment, it's one made by his brother so I'm sure there's a purposeful dig in there.  But that's a long way from it being some intentional strategy by his legal team. 

#64 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Did Moore really sustain damage to a specific part of the brain that handles decision making?  Otherwise I would think that is a weird side effect to be claiming.

I was hoping they finally did settle so this WOULD go away.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#65 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Did Moore really sustain damage to a specific part of the brain that handles decision making?  Otherwise I would think that is a weird side effect to be claiming.

I was hoping they finally did settle so this WOULD go away.

Difficulty in making decisions is a common symptom of post concussion syndrome.

#66 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

This is what I was referring to. Yes it was a baseless thought, and I was just stating my opinion, that's all. It could be either side, but twice in two days the lawyers thought it was resolved then it wasn't, so who knows really.

#67 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

I hope Moore wins as big as possible headaches are horrible concussions headaches are even worse and what Bert did at least to me could be classified as criminal. The guy has barely done any interviews and when he does them the lights are still dim. Some mentioned that Bert would have to live with only of 20 percent of his money do what? The guy ended someone's careerin hockey and life.so yeah go Moore

Edited by frankgrimes, 20 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#68 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Two things:

1) In this particular case, adhering to "The Code" didn't work out.

2) I really wanted this case to go to trial because, as I had stated before, for Moore to lose people were going to have to lie.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#69 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

There is still a chance for this going going to trial according to Westhead. Although the nhl would be really stupid letting that happen they are going to lose and still be in the news for all the wrong reasons.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#70 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

I love Bertuzzi. I feel bad for both of them and for their families and I just can't wait for this to be behind them.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#71 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

IMO this was always a freak accident. Sure Bertuzzi shouldn't have thrown the cheap shot, but there are plenty of on-par or worse cheap shots that have been thrown in the NHL. The only difference is this one happened to end with the unthinkable. The result was certainly not Bertuzzi's intention, just like no player intends to end a career when they go airborne on a hit, or throw an elbow, or slam a head into the boards, or uppercut an opponents face. The intent is always to harm, but never this. The problem is 1/somelargenumber end up like this. That's the reality of fast contact sports that condones fighting. I hope that moore can get what he needs, but I also don't think that Bertuzzi should be burned at the stake for his actions. This has been hashed out a million times, but It's late and I've been drinking.

#72 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

http://kuklaskorner....letely-conclude

settlement reached, no trial

No trial is a really good thing for bert and all of hockey, I think

#73 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hj3yxUcz2qs

All the crap about how Moore can't handle the media seems like BS drama to me. I'm sure he's affected by the injury and I feel for the guy, but he seems to handle the media quite well in this interview. If you didn't tell me before hand, I wouldn't know he had cognitive issues from hearing the guy speak.

He also says he was training on his own and expected to return to hockey before his doctors shot that down. No doubt his injuries are career ending, but seems like some people exaggerate them.

The best part is when he says the most important thing to him is going to trial and getting the truth out there. Guess every man has his price huh Stevie? I would've taken the money too if I were him, but it kind of irks me when states to the media that the most important thing is truth and justice in court.... and then settles for cash. CREAM.

#74 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

number9.....didn't watch the video, but wonder if it was pre-criminal trial, which I think Burtuzzi ended up pleaing guilty.

This up coming trial was a civil case, which is entirely about money, so settling before going to trial is no different than going to trial except you take the risk of not getting as much money.  Both sides might worry about final $ involved in trial, which brings about a settlement pre-trial (saves legal fees as well).

#75 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

number9.....didn't watch the video, but wonder if it was pre-criminal trial, which I think Burtuzzi ended up pleaing guilty.

This up coming trial was a civil case, which is entirely about money, so settling before going to trial is no different than going to trial except you take the risk of not getting as much money.  Both sides might worry about final $ involved in trial, which brings about a settlement pre-trial (saves legal fees as well).

Interview is from 2014 if that helps. Uploaded to youtube March 8th of 2014.

#76 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

I hope Moore wins as big as possible headaches are horrible concussions headaches are even worse and what Bert did at least to me could be classified as criminal. The guy has barely done any interviews and when he does them the lights are still dim. Some mentioned that Bert would have to live with only of 20 percent of his money do what? The guy ended someone's careerin hockey and life.so yeah go Moore

If that were the case then Matt Cooke should be in jail.

#77 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Who was the last player to fight Steve Moore?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#78 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Who was the last player to fight Steve Moore?

Matt Cooke.  The same game.

I don't see an update and I know there was speculation after the initial settlement announcement, but evidently it was officially agreed on yesterday.

http://www.thehockey...gal-ordeal.html

Bertuzzi's lawyer confirmed the settlement two weeks ago, but Moore's lawyer, Tim Danson, said it's his opinion that there was no "binding and enforceable settlement until the language of the settlement documents was agreed to by all parties," which he said happened Thursday.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid