• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukToZetterberg

An honest question about Nyquist

Rate this topic

It worked for the Wings for 15 years. You don't trade the farm, but prospects, unless they are a sure fire superstar in the making, get traded so you can get that star score to win the Cup.

It used to be every year Holland would look at the team and say "how can we win it all this year?" The last few years we've heard "how can we not miss playoffs?"

Wait and see never works in pro sports. The problem is trading has all but dried up in the new NHL.

Oh, and my argument has worked for Chicago, too.

Edit: I'm a big fan of getting (good) veterans or prime players and sprinkling young kids around them. Not waiting year after year for a kid to explode and save your team.

Yes, Holland changed his approach because there was a dramatic rule change implemented...the salary cap.

And your point is valid, trading has slowed down dramatically and the prices are insanely high for top end talent. Again I emphasize that we are not one piece away from the cup. Sure if Weiss rebounds to form, Franzen starts to care, Quincey and Smith learn how to play D then sure, anything can happen. But as the team is playing right now, it is not a team that is one major trade away from a cup.

It worked for the Wings for 15 years. You don't trade the farm, but prospects, unless they are a sure fire superstar in the making, get traded so you can get that star score to win the Cup.

It used to be every year Holland would look at the team and say "how can we win it all this year?" The last few years we've heard "how can we not miss playoffs?"

Wait and see never works in pro sports. The problem is trading has all but dried up in the new NHL.

Edit: I'm a big fan of getting (good) veterans or prime players and sprinkling young kids around them. Not waiting year after year for a kid to explode and save your team.

The thing about Chicago, of course, is that they went the suck-mercilessly-and-get-rewarded-for-it route. Unless we're going to go the same route, we really can't count on our kids just coming out of nowhere and leading us to glory. I know we're generally pretty good at drafting, but, bottom line, you don't make the playoffs every season and then decide, "Y'know what, our picks and prospects are gonna carry us from now on. Screw outside help." It doesn't work that way. (Unless your scouts are LUDICROUSLY good, and you have a handful of absolutely can't-miss young studs who have already cracked the lineup and are, in fact, practically carrying the team on their backs.)

Edited by Dabura

I think this is fairly common practice for every team since the salary cap was introduced. Simply put, teams need to develop young players to fill their roster out with budding potential on entry-level deals. GM's talk about this all the time. It's nothing new.

Hope you're right. I've been hearing (here, mostly) that Mantha is big but doesn't really use his size.

He's not an aggressive player but that doesn't mean you can't use your size to your advantage in other ways. He will fill out his frame and he is definitely the best pure goal scoring prospect we have.

He's not an aggressive player but that doesn't mean you can't use your size to your advantage in other ways. He will fill out his frame and he is definitely the best pure goal scoring prospect we have.

To bad we won't be seeing him in the NHL before 2019.. :(

Edited by frankgrimes