• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Have to go for the Lafeyette Coney Island experience after a game.... Its a must! Its like going to Montreal and not going to Schwartz for smoked meat... You just got to do it

"ONE UP!!!!"

Edited by The Secret, 27 November 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#22 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Have to go for the Lafeyette Coney Island experience after a game.... Its a must! Its like going to Montreal and not going to Schwartz for smoked meat... You got to do oy
Have to go for the Lafeyette Coney Island experience after a game.... Its a must! Its like going to Montreal and not going to Schwartz for smoked meat... You got to do oy

Yeah. That's on the list. When I go to Montreal, I go to Schwartz's at least twice. :lol:

You recommend going after the game?

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Just stay away from Laikon in Greektown past dark. 

Wasn't fun having to give my statement to the police until around 2am after witnessing a stabbing/murder. 

:eh:

Ya in general I wouldn't venture much outside the hotel area after dark. Your more likely to get mugged or stabbed than find anything interesting. Sure as hell don't want to find yourself getting lost. 

Are you talking specifically about Greektown or the city in general.

Please don't tell me that we're trapped in our hotel after dark. I mean, I hadn't planned on blindly roaming around the city after dark, but it would be nice to go somewhere to drink/eat/hangout after the game.

#24 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

It's already been said, but.
Antheum in greektown is really nice and near the Joe, but expect to pay between $200-$300 USD

You can't really beat the hilton doubletrees location, and as for the Coney island you said you've got on your list of things to do....
Theres two"rival" Coney islands that are literally right next to eachother, american and lafeyette.
Good hot dogs, and a fun atmosphere, you can't go wrong with either.
My advice would be to go to each one, grab a Coney dog, choose which one you like best then tell them why you like theirs better.

cobo Joes is always a good choice before games as long as you're early enough to get a table.
me and my gf walked in around 6 before a 7:30 game and waited almost an hour to get a table, but the bars got awesome service, and enough red wings nuts there to keep you preoccupied.
The foods not the greatest, but for the price and company you can't beat it.

Chelis chili is also right there, I honestly wasn't very impressed with it personally, but its chelios' chili bar, enough said.
The hockeytown cafes right off that stop too.
And also.

Since its your first time going.
It's a bit out of the way, but Id be remiss not to tell you that Slows BBQ is worth the price of cab fare, or even a rental car if you're into amazing BBQ.

And as for dos and donts.
I've personally never had a problem downtown at night, but i know plenty of people who have, so,
try to stay within the confines of the freeways and the river...
If you start seeing too many victorian style homes, or abandoned houses, just head back toward the lights.
Ha.
Not that the outlying areas are actually that horrible, or that there isn't shady spots in that area but less chance for bad times.

whatever you do.
Have an awesome time.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 27 November 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#25 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

[quote name="rick zombo" post="2458460" timestamp="1385564443"]

Yeah. That's on the list. When I go to Montreal, I go to Schwartz's at least twice. :lol:

You recommend going after the game?[/quote]

I'd go after the game.
Last time I checked Lafeyette closes at 4 a.m. and Americans 24 hrs.
If you go too far down Lafayette the streets do get darker, and a bit worse.
But you'll be fine.
quote name="rick zombo" post="2458462" timestamp="1385564881"]

Please don't tell me that we're trapped in our hotel after dark. I mean, I hadn't planned on blindly roaming around the city after dark, but it would be nice to go somewhere to drink/eat/hangout after the game.[/quote]

You're not trapped there...
Ha.
Don't let them scare you.
It's a bit rough, but as long as you stick to the main streets, you generally dont have to worry.

Stay near the people mover, and remember it doesn't run after midnight.
So either find some place you like and have a cab take you back to your hotel, or find a place you like near the hotel so you don't freeze walking home.

#26 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'd go after the game.
Last time I checked Lafeyette closes at 4 a.m. and Americans 24 hrs.
If you go too far down Lafayette the streets do get darker, and a bit worse.
But you'll be fine.
quote name="rick zombo" post="2458462" timestamp="1385564881"]

Please don't tell me that we're trapped in our hotel after dark. I mean, I hadn't planned on blindly roaming around the city after dark, but it would be nice to go somewhere to drink/eat/hangout after the game.[/quote]

You're not trapped there...
Ha.
Don't let them scare you.
It's a bit rough, but as long as you stick to the main streets, you generally dont have to worry.

Stay near the people mover, and remember it doesn't run after midnight.
So either find some place you like and have a cab take you back to your hotel, or find a place you like near the hotel so you don't freeze walking home.

Excellent advice. Thx.

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

I almost forgot to tell you...there is no pair of ear plugs in the world that can drown out Karen Newman's caterwauling.  Be warned.  I'm honestly surprised the ASPCA hasn't got her for animal cruelty when she "sings".  As my housemate says, she must have incriminating photos of someone.

Okay, I performed my public service for today.

Posted Image

#28 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I almost forgot to tell you...there is no pair of ear plugs in the world that can drown out Karen Newman's caterwauling.  Be warned.  I'm honestly surprised the ASPCA hasn't got her for animal cruelty when she "sings".  As my housemate says, she must have incriminating photos of someone.

:lol:

I used to like her back in the day, but she is definitely past her expiration date.

Count me in as another one recommending doing the dueling coney dogs! I'm a vegetarian now, but growing up I was an American's girl. I also kind of think Slows is overrated, but then again I've never really been into BBQ.

And like others have said, no need to be scared. Play it smart, stick to the main, busy streets and you shouldn't have any problems! Enjoy!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#29 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

My dad is 67 years old, and he has a massive crush on Karen. Seeing her live will be a thrill for him. LOL

She has gone down hill IMO. Love is blind, I guess :)

#30 hathorlive

hathorlive

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Anyone eat at Slow’s BBQ? Is it as good as they say?

Yes.  It's very good.  Not quite as good as Memphis, but very very good and well worth a stop.  Go early and before you get hungry because there is always a line.  Someone else mentioned Astoria, which I love as well.

I would like to say that if you are a cultured kind of group, the Diego Rivera murals at the Detroit Institute of Art are worth the price of entry.  But I like art, so your mileage may very.

I just moved to Detroit a few months ago but my friend and I move around most parts of town without feeling threatened.  We're also females.  As someone said,  use a GPS and when the lights go away, turn around.   This is really NOT the city to get lost in.

Make sure you take a lot of quarters if you plan on using the people mover.  It's 75 cents a ride and not all of the change machines work. 

I love Cheli's chili.  And there's a pretty nice beer selection as well.  They have a shuttle to the Joe as well. 

Walk down Woodward a bit just for fun.  There are actually people in Detroit.  I was shocked the first time I  walked around. 

If you like bread bakery stuff, go to Avalon.  It's good stuff.

Have a great trip!

#31 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

My dad is 67 years old, and he has a massive crush on Karen. Seeing her live will be a thrill for him. LOL

She has gone down hill IMO. Love is blind, I guess :)

You can look at her, but the minute she opens her mouth, oh God...  :scared:  My dog leaves the room when we're home.  At least there I can hit the mute button.  Just be warned.  Make sure you have antacids on you.  They may be necessary.

Posted Image

#32 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Priceline a fancy hotel downtown. Most likely you'll land in the Renaissance center, which is always empty and looking for visitors on that site. The People mover stop is right inside the building. You can people move straight to the Joe from there. It's only a couple stops away. People mover will take you to Greektown too for food.

Priceline wont do you wrong in Detroit as long as you pick only the downtown area.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#33 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Driving brings its usual problems of idiots who don't know how to drive in the first place.  But I would definitely have my own set of wheels.  It makes it a lot easier to get around.

I've never had a problem downtown after dark.  I guess it just depends on what's going on and the weather.

I have lived here my whole life and I still find it difficult to drive in downtown Detroit! Many of the streets are one-way streets, and as there is very little police presence in the city lately, I have begun seeing people continue driving through red lights, or stop for a second, look both ways, then roll through the red light. Another time I was driving at night and there were 2 man-hole covers that were completely removed, leaving huge gaping holes in the ground. Sadly, I watched a brand new Camarro drive right over one going about 40 and jerk/crash to a stop ashis front right tire sank into it. Sketchy :\ . If you are planning on driving, please, please, PLEASE be safe doing so! I have had too many problems driving in that city to even count them anymore.