• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Why did Franzen get 10 min game misconduct?

Rate this topic

I wouldn't have expected him to drop the gloves even before the concussions. Franzen is not a fighter and I have no problem with that. All I want is for him to score goals.

Agreed. His fights have for the most part embarrassing for him, he's taken a lot of shots to head I've noticed while watching a couple of them...It's best if Mule just puts the puck in the net.

I'd just like to take this moment to recount an (abridged) tale of my first Red Wings game in person.

In the pre-pre-game warmups, the guys were all lined up along the boards and would do the drill where they pass to the guy in the center and he'd shoot it on net. Whatever. No big deal.

Anyway, I'm up against the boards watching everything with rapt amazement. At one point, Homer was directly in front of me and chatting with someone to his left (Hudler?). Anyway, out of the corner of my eye I see this massive red bullet come flying into my field of view and full-speed check the BEJESUS out of Homer right into the glass. I mean he LAID into him hard.

And that bullet was Franzen.

I dont like a lot of the excuse making for Franzen to be honest. I dont mind agitating from him, but at that point in the game theres no point to draw penalties. When youre coming off a concussion especially with a known heavyweight. I know a lot of people love Mule but if you watch that game again Franzen is starting most of the crap. People complain about the head shot with Franzen coming off concussion, but Methot missed time earlier with a leg injury and Franzen felt like swinging his stick anyways. And even though it wasnt much of a groin poke, why does Franzen feel any need to put his stick between a known tough guys legs at that point in a 6-1 game after he got done laughing in his face and face washing him with a ref between them a couple shifts before?

I see people saying this is the wings sticking up for themselves, but I think thats BS. Franzen was the one trying to piss everyone off in a 6-1 game. It worked, but fighting is a part of hockey and if you get other guys pissed off enough they might try to fight you. Theres a reason it was Franzen and not Nyquist and Jurco getting picked on. After the first period Franzen shouldnt have even thrown a hit because of the score and his concussion history, not to mention start getting in scrums/face washing heavyweights, slashing top pair dmen or getting his stick between guys legs. Neil blew up sure, but if the wings were down 6-1 at the Joe and some big 6-3 guy like David Backes did what Franzen did, we would all be wishing someone dropped him