• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Phaneuf traded to Kings for Gaborik and Shore

Rate this topic

They ditched Phaneuf’s contract for Gaborik’s. Gaborik has a history of injuries dating back to his early days with the Wild. Highly doubt he finishes out that contract. He’ll either retire fully  on end up retiring on LTIR. Either way, that contract is cleared. Ottawa could win this trade of that happens.

LA gave him that contract after the 2014 Cup win. He was a big part of it, so I can see wanting to keep him around awhile. But SEVEN years at $6 million? That’s pretty bad. He’s on his fifth NHL team for a reason. High money demands and injuries. Just ends up not being worth it. But, if that’s what he wanted, they may have given it to him thinking the same thing, that he wouldn’t finish it out. 

30 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

They ditched Phaneuf’s contract for Gaborik’s. Gaborik has a history of injuries dating back to his early days with the Wild. Highly doubt he finishes out that contract. He’ll either retire fully  on end up retiring on LTIR. Either way, that contract is cleared. Ottawa could win this trade of that happens.

LA gave him that contract after the 2014 Cup win. He was a big part of it, so I can see wanting to keep him around awhile. But SEVEN years at $6 million? That’s pretty bad. He’s on his fifth NHL team for a reason. High money demands and injuries. Just ends up not being worth it. But, if that’s what he wanted, they may have given it to him thinking the same thing, that he wouldn’t finish it out. 

Sure maybe, but they did it because he is owed less cash. The cap hit Ottawa takes with this move actually goes up.

They clearly care more about saving actual cash then clearing cap space.

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

They ditched Phaneuf’s contract for Gaborik’s. Gaborik has a history of injuries dating back to his early days with the Wild. Highly doubt he finishes out that contract. He’ll either retire fully or end up retiring on LTIR. Either way, that contract is cleared. Ottawa could win this trade of that happens.

Not so sure about that. They already have Clarke MacArthur's 4.65 mill on LTIR retirement for the next 2 years since he won't be playing again (apparently he even moved out of Ottawa to Florida). So if Gaborik gets injured into retirement then they'd have a potential 9.525 mill in LTIR players. That's more than the 10% margin for teams with players on LTIR to go over the cap in the offseason, so the contract would still mark against cap space (for the current cap it would be 2.025 million over). Put that together with the fact that they'll have a 1.75 miil caphit from Phaneuf's contract for the next 4 years, so I think it'd be like them carrying somewhere around a combined 3 million caphit of dead weight if Gaborik were to LITRetire in the next 2 years. I wouldn't call that a great way to be free of the Phaneuf contract.

I guess they could trade one of those LTIR contracts to ARI or someone else in that case, though.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

8 hours ago, kliq said:

Ya that would be frustrating, that's one thing we as Wings fans are lucky for. Illitch's have never been hesitant to spend.

I am not as confident in the ownership as I once was. I'm not so sure Chris is as eager to spend money as his father was. Now that the team isn't winning I wonder if he'll want to starting cutting payroll.

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Gaborik has an injury history so that must mean he was always average, right?

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I am not as confident in the ownership as I once was. I'm not so sure Chris is as eager to spend money as his father was. Now that the team isn't winning I wonder if he'll want to starting cutting payroll.

Gaborik has an injury history so that must mean he was always average, right?

If you say so. I never implied that he was average. He was a risk at that contract, that’s all.

3 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Not so sure about that. They already have Clarke MacArthur's 4.65 mill on LTIR retirement for the next 2 years since he won't be playing again (apparently he even moved out of Ottawa to Florida). So if Gaborik gets injured into retirement then they'd have a potential 9.525 mill in LTIR players. That's more than the 10% margin for teams with players on LTIR to go over the cap in the offseason, so the contract would still mark against cap space (for the current cap it would be 2.025 million over). Put that together with the fact that they'll have a 1.75 miil caphit from Phaneuf's contract for the next 4 years, so I think it'd be like them carrying somewhere around a combined 3 million caphit of dead weight if Gaborik were to LITRetire in the next 2 years. I wouldn't call that a great way to be free of the Phaneuf contract.

I guess they could trade one of those LTIR contracts to ARI or someone else in that case, though.

Ahh I didn’t realize they already had a guy on LTIR. That does change things. 

But ya, they could trade a ghost contract to a team needing to add cap. 

Best case for Ottawa is Gáborík actually retires if there’s some indication he’s considering it. 

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Its part of a running joke about Howard being average because of his injury history. Perhaps its run its course. My bad.

I knew what it was. Howard is average though. Many goalies in the league are today. Even the elite have their down stretches and seasons, and some have never won a Cup. Times have changed since Hasek and Brodeur.