• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Cholowski v McIsaac

Rate this topic

Who will have the better 2020/21 season?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With McIsaac turning pro this coming season, Cholowski looks like he's skating out on to thin ice.

Cholo was passed by his draft-mate Hronek (nbd, Hronek is really good)
Cholo was held off the roster in favor of Biega, Bowey, and Daley (and arguably at times by Ericsson and Goloubef as well) - no so good
Now at the end of the season it looks like he was passed by a younger Gustav Lindstrom
Cholo will almost certainly be passed by Seider very soon, and now he also has a very good Jared McIsaac joining in on the competition as well

He's starting to look like the odd man out.

Now one could say Cholo will be okay because we have Dmen leaving the team (Daley, Ericsson, and Goloubef) but will that really make a difference?

Ericsson was nothing more than an injury fill-in. Daley was playing bottom pair minutes and getting scratched, and Goloubef was the warm body replacement for Green so Yzerman wouldn't have to subtract from GR's roster for the playoff run.

I'm also going to assume Yzerman will likely sign in FA at least one roster Dman.

Dekeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - UFA
Lindstrom - Bowey
Biega

Cholowski - Seider
McIsaac - Hicketts

If Seider gets the green light it may be all she wrote for Cholo besides being an injury fill in. McIsaac is gonna tear through the GR lineup and make himself a contender for the number 1 callup spot pretty quickly, seeing as he can actually play D and remain calm under pressure.

Personally I expect more marginal growth from Cholo next year and McIsaac to turn some heads. He's not gonna pass Cholo on the depth chart next year, but I think it will just be a matter of time at that point.

I'm a big McIsaac guy. He's a good skating, hard hitting, puck mover.  I don't expect too much offense from him in the NHL but think he'll thrive as a partner for a Hronek type guy.  He'll be a stud. 

That said, on to Cholowski: I don't understand Detroit's obsession with sacrificing offense for defense.  Pretty much every team in the NHL has one defenseman what scores but hasn't learned to keep the puck out of his own net.  Most give their guys space to make mistakes, learn, and grow or else get surpassed on the depth chart by an up-and-comer later on.  Most team do not send that guy to the AHL in favor of Ericsson, Daley, Golbeauf, or Biega.

All that said, Cholo makes the team full time next year and performs respectably.  McIsaac is a workhorse in the AHL but doesn't get a call up and really makes his name as more of an all situations type guy.

Edited by kipwinger

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm a big McIsaac guy. He's a good skating, hard hitting, puck mover.  I don't expect too much offense from him in the NHL but think he'll thrive as a partner for a Hronek type guy.  He'll be a stud. 

That said, on to Cholowski: I don't understand Detroit's obsession with sacrificing offense for defense.  Pretty much every team in the NHL has one defenseman what scores but hasn't learned to keep the puck out of his own net.  Most give their guys space to make mistakes, learn, and grow or else get surpassed on the depth chart by an up-and-comer later on.  Most team do not send that guy to the AHL in favor of Ericsson, Daley, Golbeauf, or Biega.

All that said, Cholo makes the team full time next year and performs respectably.  McIsaac is a workhorse in the AHL but doesn't get a call up and really makes his name as more of an all situations type guy.

For McIsaac I'd say...

Best case scenario: Kronwall
Realistic scenario: Stuart
Worst case scenario: Dekeyser

Cholo actually did play pretty big minutes when he was up. He's just such Brendan Smith tier. I honestly doubt he'll be a legit puck mover.