• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

Remaking the defence

Rate this topic

On 12/4/2022 at 9:05 AM, kipwinger said:

Our offense is good enough to beat many teams most nights. And that's without Bert, Vrana, or Raymond playing at the upper end of their ability (or not playing at all). I thought we played Toronto even (or better) the other night, and I thought we generally dominated the play against Vegas last night. But our defense is still pedestrian. Better than the last couple years for sure, but not a defense that's going to shut the door. If you're not going to be a high octane offensive team you'd better have a stout defense. We don't. I realize the asking price makes all the difference in the world here, but I'd be calling on Chychrun right now and taking a REALLY hard look at the guy. Add him on the left size, and Edvinsson soon, and you'd finally have a competitive advantage at some position on the ice.

For now put Walman with Seider and Chiarot with Oesterle and play or pairs:

Walman-Seider (20 mins)

Maatta-Hronek (22)

Chiarot-Oesterle (18)

Agreed.  Fact is Chiarot is just not that good.  We all wanted him to be, but he isn't.  The issue with sending him down to the 3rd pairing is that it puts the NHL on alert that he's worth less.  I think the best thing to do would be to let him build his scoring numbers up as much as possible, and then look to deal him to a team missing a defenseman at the deadline.  If we have to eat some salary for a year or 2, so be it.  But this gameplan is looking real good to me:

1) Give Chiarot big minutes to get him to 25 pts by February

2) Trade him in February with 1/2 Salary Retained for rest of and next 2 seasons for a 2025 first rounder.

3) Play Walman and Osterle until we have 9 games left.

4) Bring Edvinsson up and push for the playoffs hard with Edvinsson-Seider, Maata-Hronek, Walman-Osterle/Lindstrom.

And of course, if he turns it around and starts gelling with Seider, then that's a bonus.

33 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  Fact is Chiarot is just not that good.  We all wanted him to be, but he isn't.  The issue with sending him down to the 3rd pairing is that it puts the NHL on alert that he's worth less.  I think the best thing to do would be to let him build his scoring numbers up as much as possible, and then look to deal him to a team missing a defenseman at the deadline.  If we have to eat some salary for a year or 2, so be it.  But this gameplan is looking real good to me:

1) Give Chiarot big minutes to get him to 25 pts by February

2) Trade him in February with 1/2 Salary Retained for rest of and next 2 seasons for a 2025 first rounder.

3) Play Walman and Osterle until we have 9 games left.

4) Bring Edvinsson up and push for the playoffs hard with Edvinsson-Seider, Maata-Hronek, Walman-Osterle/Lindstrom.

And of course, if he turns it around and starts gelling with Seider, then that's a bonus.

yeah yeah Chiarot is going nowhere with that fat contract.

Best thing we can do is continue using him as intended on the 1st pair and nickname him big pylon ben or some s***