• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott R Lucidi

Unsung Heros - Maatta and Gost

Rate this topic

I'm all about these guys remaining in our bottom 3 (5,6,7) positions for defenders going forward.

Gost, while weak 5 on 5 during the first 40 games, has received the message loud an clear for the last 40 and responded beautifully.  Somebody got in his ear and told him the floating has to stop and he needs to play defense.  He's been an awesome 3rd pairing guy since that.

Maatta has been our best defender other than Seider this year, imo.  We should reup this guy for 5 years as soon as he can be re-upped.  He's earned a longer contract.  +16 on the year, and helped make Gost look like a 2-way defensemen and not a forward playing defense.  I value Maata 3rd most on our back end, even before Walman.  It's hard to find a stalwart defender at the payrate he's getting.  

The big question with these guys is "Will they play for 3 million a year each?"  We can't have Gost chew up 5 mil per and Maatta take up 4 mil per.  If their agents start getting aggressive, it's going to be time to pull up the Tuomistos and Wallinders of the farm system and get them the reps.  Hoping we don't need to break those guys in so fast though.  They are not NHL ready, and probably won't be for a good 3-4 more seasons.  If I'm Yzerman, I'm looking to lock up Maatta and Gost at 3 mil per for the next 5 years and let them know the 3rd pairing is theirs to man.  One thing Lalonde actually does well, in my eyes, is spread the minutes for our defensemen.  Maatta and Gost will probably be able to get more $ from other teams, but I don't think they'll get the same minutes OR play with a team as good as the Wings will be over the next few seasons once the handcuffs (Chiarot, Petry, Perron, Husso) are removed.

Maata plays 16 min a night. No PP. No PK. Has more healthy scratches than anyone besides Holl. Is trusted with the least amount of shifts out of everyone besides Holl. Doesnt score and doesnt play with any physicality.

This is a 6/7 Dman on any team. We should be trying to get out from under his 3mil last remaining season if anything. 

10/10 bad take

Ghost is also a terrible Dman. Which is why he gets basically no even strength shifts. His literal only value is QBing the PP because he's a 5'6" forward pantomiming as a Dman. No serious contender would ever have him rostered at anything close to what hes currently making. But unlike Maata, he can at least pass and provide PP value. 

8/10 bad take

Maata, Ghost, Petry, and Holl are all total garbage and should be jettisoned ASAP. I do have some concerns about replacing Ghosts production from the backend, but thats a responsibility that should be passed to Edvinsson at this point. Even if Ed takes a while to get up to speed. ASP should also be signed this summer and fast tracked into an NHL role. He's extremely good. 

13 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Maata plays 16 min a night. No PP. No PK. Has more healthy scratches than anyone besides Holl. Is trusted with the least amount of shifts out of everyone besides Holl. Doesnt score and doesnt play with any physicality.

This is a 6/7 Dman on any team. We should be trying to get out from under his 3mil last remaining season if anything. 

10/10 bad take

Ghost is also a terrible Dman. Which is why he gets basically no even strength shifts. His literal only value is QBing the PP because he's a 5'6" forward pantomiming as a Dman. No serious contender would ever have him rostered at anything close to what hes currently making. But unlike Maata, he can at least pass and provide PP value. 

8/10 bad take

Maata, Ghost, Petry, and Holl are all total garbage and should be jettisoned ASAP. I do have some concerns about replacing Ghosts production from the backend, but thats a responsibility that should be passed to Edvinsson at this point. Even if Ed takes a while to get up to speed. ASP should also be signed this summer and fast tracked into an NHL role. He's extremely good. 

You don't watch the games, so you are 9/10 NOT WATCHING.  I can tell very easily that you haven't tuned in this year (which is ok, btw).  Please refrain from refuting takes of those that have.  You're a puck bunny.

6 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

You don't watch the games, so you are 9/10 NOT WATCHING.  I can tell very easily that you haven't tuned in this year (which is ok, btw).  Please refrain from refuting takes of those that have.  You're a puck bunny.

I watched ur mom fart a wad of pizza dough out her ass and form it into the supreme regarded pie that is you, if that supports my opinion at all

30 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Conflicting emotions…With Detroit not likely going to play in a few weeks from now - to do I bandwagon with?

Preds (Milwaukee being the farm team), or Jets (they need luvin too).

Really don’t care what goes on in the Eastern Conference.

My oilers will defeat any of your western yawn teams and I will feast at bennigans once more