• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Leino with 2 goals tonight

Rate this topic

That's 4 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. Leino's tearing it up in the AHL. He's proving himself right now... I can definitely see Leino playing in Detroit against L.A. Franzen's a top six, so it makes sense to have a top six kind of prospect called up to replace him, plus Helm's already had a call up and Leino's earned this with his play in the AHL right now. :thumbup:

If he gets called up for the L.A. game it's a huge oppertunity to get some points and cement his spot up here. :thumbup:

Why would Franzen be out? And they wont call anyone up, they'll just put Maltby back in.

Franzen left tonight's game with a knee injury. If a top two line player goes out, you don't replace him with a Maltby. If Franzen does miss a game or two, Hudler will probably be moved back to the second line and Malts will be put on the fourth line. This might be when Downey gets a call up to sit in the pressbox.

Guest DetroitBoy313

Babcock said in the post game interview they are staying with what they have and they won't be calling anyone up regardless on Franzen's condition.

Jumping the gun a little aren't yeah?

Sheesh....

Why? Wasn't Leino being one of our best forwards in the preseason enough for you? How about his MVP in Finland's top league? What else do you want from him? I'm just keeping people informed of what's happening with Leino right now. He's pretty impressive and needs to be given a reward or two by the management for his fantastic efforts in GR.

Franzen left tonight's game with a knee injury. If a top two line player goes out, you don't replace him with a Maltby. If Franzen does miss a game or two, Hudler will probably be moved back to the second line and Malts will be put on the fourth line. This might be when Downey gets a call up to sit in the pressbox.

Ah, didnt know that Franzen got hurt, hopefully it's not serious. As for Malts, I just meant he'd be in on the 4th line, and Hudler would get moved up to the 2nd, like you said.

Babcock said in the post game interview they are staying with what they have and they won't be calling anyone up regardless on Franzen's condition.

Actually he said they wouldn't call someone up unless Franzen is put onto the Long Term Injured Reserve list.

They don't have the cap room to pull someone up without some sort of relief. Unfortuneatly, Franzen might be injured for 15+ days depending on the injury. *knocks on wood for Franzen's quick recovery*

I believe he said something to the effect of "We can't move anyone up unless Franzen is out for a long period of time"

Edit: Drake beat me to it :P

Edited by wingsdiehard13

Cleary will be moved up to the 2nd and Kopecky to the 3rd. The Grind Line will be re-united.

Babcock said no one will be called up unless Franzen is placed on LTIR.

Just got back from the Griffins game.

If they played the last 50 minutes the way they played the first 10 minutes, we would have a really great team.

During the first 10, Leino had a goal and assist, Abdulkader had a great deflection on a shot from Erikson, but after the first 10 minutes they fell asleep and almost blew a 4-0 lead, Ended up winning 6-4.

Shorthanded goal after not scoring on a 5 on 3 really hurt.

But they got it done at the end.

If Stafford is now with Dallas, then why is he still playing with the Griffins?

The Griffins are an affiliate of Dallas for this year as well, the Stars do not have an affiliate this season. They will be starting a new team in Cedar Park, Texas called the Texas Stars, (Cedar Park is just outside of Austin)

Since they don't have an affiliate they are sending players around the AHL, Stafford is with the Griffins as well as another Dallas player Landon Wilson.

Why? Wasn't Leino being one of our best forwards in the preseason enough for you? How about his MVP in Finland's top league? What else do you want from him? I'm just keeping people informed of what's happening with Leino right now. He's pretty impressive and needs to be given a reward or two by the management for his fantastic efforts in GR.

Right now I think the Wings need to focus on tightening up their loose ends and then re-assess the situation once they find out what is going on with Franzen. Plus, what Heaton said.

The Griffins are an affiliate of Dallas for this year as well, the Stars do not have an affiliate this season. They will be starting a new team in Cedar Park, Texas called the Texas Stars, (Cedar Park is just outside of Austin)

Since they don't have an affiliate they are sending players around the AHL, Stafford is with the Griffins as well as another Dallas player Landon Wilson.

That's not true, but everything else you said is. Griffins are the Wings AHL affiliate, no one elses. Dallas had to loan out their non-parent club players to AHL teams and since Stafford is familiar with the Griffins they chose to send him to the Griffins on loan. technically, we could do the same thing with our AHL players, they don't NEED to be sent to the griffins, we could loan out our players to other AHL teams if we wanted.

You all forget that the Wings do not have the cap space to bring anyone else up. Just like Babcock said after the game, they don't have cap to do that. The only way they can call up anyone (i.e. Helm, Abdelkader, Leino, etc) is if someone is placed on long term IR. And with Franzen walking out on his own power, it won't be something serious probably where he might only miss a week or two and it just means McCarty will skate on the fourth line with Draper and Kopecky with Maltby moving up to the 3rd line.

Babcock would not move up Leino at all this season unless there is numerous injuries. He obviously is much more high on Darren Helm as he has proven himself in american style of hockey whereas Leino needs to learn to avoid more hits and crash the boards better. His offensive skills are great (like most Euros) but he needs to learn to avoid the physical play of the NHL. If anything I'm sure he'd probably use Meech as a forward like he did last season or even bring up Downey. But as he said at the beginning of the year, Leino and Abdelkader will be in Grand Rapids for the entire season barring a huge injury setback.

Keep in mind too, it's the 3rd week or so of the NHL. No team is bad, no team is amazing, no player is an MVP yet. A lot can happen. Give teams a chance to scout and see how it goes at the end of the year :)

Edited by Schmack

That's not true, but everything else you said is. Griffins are the Wings AHL affiliate, no one elses. Dallas had to loan out their non-parent club players to AHL teams and since Stafford is familiar with the Griffins they chose to send him to the Griffins on loan. technically, we could do the same thing with our AHL players, they don't NEED to be sent to the griffins, we could loan out our players to other AHL teams if we wanted.

bingo! you beat me to this clarification, nice work

bingo! you beat me to this clarification, nice work

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/20...cts_starti.html

There is nothing in there about a "loan", it is technically an affiliation, it's not a full affiliation like the Griffins have with the Wings. The Griffins had the same deal a few years ago with Edmonton, the Oilers had a secondary affiliation deal with several teams when they didn't have an affiliate of their own. In that year, the Griffins got Nate Dicasmirro from the Oilers. Edmonton had prospects in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Iowa, Milwaukee, and one other place I can't remember.

The Stars had a press release during the summer about their plans since they don't have an affiliate.

They are sending players to Hamilton, Iowa, Manitoba, Peoria, Providence and Grand Rapids

(http://www.idahopress.com/sports/?id=14712)

""We have agreements with four teams to place our players with their farm teams," said Scott White, a professional scout and director of hockey operations for the Stars' former AHL affiliate. "It's not something we want to do for very long, but we think we can make it work for a year, and we hope we'll have a team in Austin after that."

(http://stars.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=36...mp;service=page)

Don't forget that 6 pts in the AHL equals 0 points in the NHL. Expect production to totally disappear and at the very best be cut in half when someone heads up to the NHL.

I wouldnt say that 6 pts in AHL is same as 0 points in NHL, its proven many times that players that have point per game in AHL can do almost the same in NHL if they get to a proper line. But, i have to agree with you, and i hope no one is expecting a hat trick from Leino in his first NHL game. Actually, its better to not expect anything, just give him chance to get to know the NHL hockey.

Why would Franzen be out? And they wont call anyone up, they'll just put Maltby back in.

Why would they put Malts back in? Do the waterbottles need to be filled up again?

Seriously, he's done nothing this year on either side of the puck to warrant keeping him in the lineup. His "agitation" skills have been next to non-existent this year as well. Z, Dats, Flip, Cleary and Draper are all ahead of him as far as PK options go, he's not a threat to score at even strength, and we sure as hell know that he's not going to be logging any PP time this year so what IS HE DOING to help the team? I think even Babcockles is coming to this realization as Mac took his spot in the lineup the other night; at least he brings some physicality and the willingness to stick up for teammates.