• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

US Open

Rate this topic

Maria Sharapova & Andre Agassi are in action on Day 1 on the 2005 US Open. Federer is once again the one to beat, while Davenport, along with Sharapova, is unfortunately favourite to take the womans title.

Predictions:

Men's Singles:

Winner- R.Federer

Runner Up- A.Roddick

Dark Horse- T.Haas

Woman's Singles:

Winner- L.Davenport

Runner Up- S.Williams

Dark Horse- A.Ivanovic (My favourite player, hoping she can cause a few upsets along the way)

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Wow, I couldn't believe Roddick's defeat. Though his opponent did live up to the hype - he played a terrific match. I'm curious to see how far he'll go.

I hope Andre makes it far into this tourney, but alas, I'm not sure I see it happening. I'm not certain he can win the US Open again. I actually wonder if he has another major in him. I'd love to see him get to the finals. You get the sense that this might be his last year (20 freaking consecutive years at the US Open!)

So, if Andre can't make it to the finals, I'm hoping we can see a Hewett/Federer final. They are fun to watch against each other. Admittedly, Ihaven't looked at the brackets to see if they are placed so they could matchup in the finals, or if they did another weird ranking to make them meet in a semi.

Davenport did look pretty good last night in her match. I'm very curious to see how far she'll go. I'd like to see her really go out there and beat one of the Williamses, mainly because you can see how much Lindsay has transformed her body and her style of play to try and catch up with those powerful ladies.

Holy crap - haven't tuned in yet and Roddick is already out - didn't know until this morning. This is really bad for me (and US tennis) because I'm not all that interested in watching the men's side anymore. I'll cheer for Agassi, but if he goes out I probably will wait 'til the final to even watch.... I guess I'm rooting for someone to beat Federer any which way....

Hopfully the women's side will be interesting......

Muse, Hewitt destrotyed Costa in his first round match, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. However, he is expected to meet Federer in the Semi Finals. Why is this always the way?!? Clearly the top two players in the world, yet they always meet in the Semi's!

Not happy, Ana Ivanovic was beaten in three sets, my interest levels in the US Open have dropped significantly.

Well what a beauty!!!

In an extraordinary upset, James Blake defeated Rafael Nadal 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1. I haver seen anyone take it up to Nadal as Blake did, he simply played the match of his life! Well done James Blake, you are a champion!

Edited by Aussie_Wing

WOW.

I missed the Blake/Nadal match - just tuned in for the last point. Wow.

That is an absolutely stunning upset - especially because how Blake took the last set.

RMWG - you've gotta watch Blake play. He's incredible, and he is definitely a huge rising American star.

Hopefully he won't succumb to the pressure like the guy who knocked out Roddick and stole his mojo.

EDIT: woo hoo, Andre's playing. I loved the look back on his career they showed before this match. I'd forgotten about his blonde mullet ROFL!

Edited by Muse

WOW.

I missed the Blake/Nadal match - just tuned in for the last point. Wow.

That is an absolutely stunning upset - especially because how Blake took the last set.

RMWG - you've gotta watch Blake play. He's incredible, and he is definitely a huge rising American star.

Hopefully he won't succumb to the pressure like the guy who knocked out Roddick and stole his mojo.

EDIT: woo hoo, Andre's playing. I loved the look back on his career they showed before this match. I'd forgotten about his blonde mullet ROFL!

Yeh it was a great match, two terrific tennis players showing their talents. Nadal gave everything but it simply wasn't enough. Blake overpowered him, but the one thing that impressed and suprised me was his composure under pressure. A sensational match.

Tonight is Hewitt vs Dent, can hardly wait!

Wow, the Hewitt/Dent match was terrific! Almost 3.5 hours of great tennis.

Lleyton made a lot of errors, and Dent played so well. It was very exciting - even that entire last set. I thought it might go to the

Who is this woman asking the questions at the end of the match? "He shook your confidence, he exposed the weakness in your game, does that concern you as you head into the second week of the tournament?"

How unbelievably rude!

I have not yet seen the results of yesterday's Agassi match. I've watched much of it, and will finish watching it tonight after watching the Williams sisters play each other.

Anybody wanna take a guess at which Williams sister will advance? I'm guessing this one might be Venus' victory, if she can stop wearing so much distracting jewelry (I can't believe she stomed on a $40,000 earring during one of the earlier matches!)

Muse, I couldn't agree more. The Hewitt/Dent match was a beauty. Stayed up until about 3:30am, and I'm glad the result went his way. The 5th set was sensational, great tennis played by both players.

I'm not too happy that Hewitt is going to meet Federer in the Semi's, assuming he advances that far of course. Why can't the best two players battle it out in the Final?!?

Once again I’m disappointed at the lack of input into this discussion. Being a huge tennis I make a new thread for every Grand Slam. However it seems like the interest in tennis decreases all the time. This has been a pretty good US Open, with some great matches such as Blake/Nadal, Hewitt/Dent, Agassi/Malisse and the list goes on. Oh well, at least I’m enjoying it. smile.gif

agassi against blake should be a good one tonight

tsn put it best though

Andre Agassi has made it to the U.S. Open quarterfinals at an age where most players have called it quits. James Blake has come back from physical and emotional hardships to exceed his best Grand Slam result. One feel-good story will come to an end Wednesday night at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Well, I was watching this awesome match between Agassi and Blake - then boom! USA network cuts the match off in the middle of the 5th set - wtf! crazy.gif

I want to email those bastards and let them know how I feel about them cutting off a match in the midst of it - just to air some old Law and Order reruns - wtf again! crazy.gif

Come to think of it, same thing happened last night in the Venus-Clijsters match. I'm really pissed - anyone else have this problem?

Anyhow - love both players - may the best man win!!!

Gah, why do I always find these threads at the end of the Grand Slams???

Anyways, AWESOME match last night. They cut off my coverage too but they showed it first thing on USA this morning. I was rooting for Blake, and fully expected him to win. I've been a fan of Blake ever since I saw him as a Davis Cup warm up partner to the big boys back in Boston in the summer of 99. I rode in an elevator with him, I thought he was cute, and I've been following his career since. Tough loss last night but he's had a great summer, and I'm glad to see him finally having some real success on the tour.

The Davenport match was fun to watch yesterday as well. Even though she lost. sad.gif

As I left for work, Hewitt was down against Neiminen. Hope he can come back!!

Edited by MSUDoubleJ19

Agassi won 8-6 in the 5th set tiebreak. Great match, not the result I was after though.

Are you serious, they cut off the tennis, with 2 Americans playing, to show some re-runs?

Yup - apparently it's some glitch about living in the western time zone. Folks on the east coast got to switch back to CBS for the remainder of the match (es) if they go past a certain time, while us folks out west don't get that option - cause Letterman, Leno etc are still on the networks.... mad.gif The stupidity of some of these network people.... What the he!! do I pay these satellite companies for??

Enough griping - looking forward to Hewitt-Federer (looks like Roger will win the current match). Hope your boy Hewitt can play a great match and maybe even win!!! Although I'd fancy Leyton a bit more if he still was dating Kim Clijsters - one cool chick - bad move on his part....

GO AGASSI!!!

Rooting for Dementieva huh? wink.gif Have to admit I was pulling for Dementieva too - she played so well vs Davenport. Didn't get to see the matches today as they were on while I was at work..... mad.gif

Mary Pierce - boring. I like Kim Clijsters - pulling for her!!!!!

Yeh I sure was, she's been on of my favourite players for a while. Very disappointed indeed, I just cant figure out where Pierce's form has come from?

CMON LLEYTON!!!

Once again I’m disappointed at the lack of input into this discussion. Being a huge tennis I make a new thread for every Grand Slam. However it seems like the interest in tennis decreases all the time. This has been a pretty good US Open, with some great matches such as Blake/Nadal, Hewitt/Dent, Agassi/Malisse and the list goes on. Oh well, at least I’m enjoying it.  smile.gif

Hey Aussie... I think a lot of Americans are pretty wrapped up in the Hurricane Katrina disaster. While the US Open is a nice distraction, I'm not sure it's getting as much discussion online because people are pretty stressed out.

I couldn't watch the Agassi/Blake match live, so we taped it... but the matches before ran so long, and the match itself ran so long that when we sat down to watch it the next day (and we didn't know who won), we only got the first 20 minutes. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

RMWG - from what you've said it sounds like even if I taped longer, I would've missed the end anyway. That happened with an earlier match, too... it seems they only allot so much time on CBS, and when it runs out, the coverage switches to USA network. Stupid. I wonder if the SuperBowl ran over time, if they'd cut off the ending? I don't think so.

I have to tape the matches today... I've erased most of the DVR and I'm just setting it up to run all day.

I'm pulling for Agassi and Pierce to take home the championships. Gotta root for the older players who have been crushing people almost half their age.

Edited by Muse

Since I live in NYC, I always go the US Open as much as I can. This year was no different.

Couldn't believe Andy Roddick lost in the 1st round! He was very well prepared coming into the Open. He had lost 15 lbs, worked on his fitness and movement and was ready to go. Unfortunately for him, he caught Muller on a good day. In any case, Andy Roddick's game is very one dimensional. A big serve and forehand can't take you far every time. He still needs a lot of work on his return of serve, backhand and volley.

I was cheering hard for James Blake and was sorry to see him lose in a mindblowing match to Andre Agassi. Blake had a 2004 unlike any other player on tour. He broke his neck while practicing in Rome, developed paralysis in his face and also lost his father over the summer. In April he was ranked 210 but he has come back better than ever playing great tennis. I hope he continues to do well.

Robbi Ginepri has been a very pleasant surprise this summer. He is playing excellent tennis. The biggest advantage he has over his opponents is his fitness. The guy is a tank and can go far in every match. I hope he plays a good semifinal and advances.

I expect the Hewitt-Federer match to be a snooze. Maybe Hewitt will put up some fight but I don't think anyone can rival Federer at this point. Federer has the complete package and is as close as anyone is going to get to Pete. Safin is the only guy with the game to beat Federer consistently on any surface but he's a mental case, not to mention extremely lazy.

On the women's side, the quarter finals were great. I've been pulling for Kim Clijsters throughout the tournament. She has had an amazing hardcourt season. She also came back from injuries and rounded her game into form. She has beaten some tough players to get to the finals. I'm pulling for her tonight.

FBF, you're seeing these matches from seats in the staduim?

/surpress jealous rage

wink.gif

I've wanted to go for so many years, I can't even tell ya.

Have an awesome time if you go today & tomorrow.