• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ March 11, 2006 - 08:27PM)
I think his on-ice play is more important than how he answers a question (barely speaking the language) to the media.  And honestly it is absurd to hand an 18 year-old that kind of responsibility.

He lets his play do the talking on the ice.  Crosby chats a lot.  Could be when Ovechkin gets more comfortable with English he will as well, but by that time he'll be getting older and may just keep on keeping on as he is now.

peace

I agree it was absurd, but I don't think a lot of rookies would've said that to the press. (and i'm pretty sure that quote was actually from a translation).

I like Ovechkin, like I said, I just think he's got a wilder personality less suited to captain. I think he's a better player if you let him be him.

I agree about your take on Crosby, JSwift. He's been a little immature and whiny, but I think it's definitely been a case of giving him the A way too soon.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 11 March 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#22 p_diddy_datsyuk_13

p_diddy_datsyuk_13

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

ovechkin is a better leader, sure crosby is a vocal leader, but ovechkin leads by example, and right now he is a better player... i think theyll both become better , but that is yet to be seen

#23 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Give me ovechkin anyday better all around player imo
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#24 WestCoastWingsFan

WestCoastWingsFan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (haroldsnepsts @ March 11, 2006 - 11:23PM)
wow, big surprise.  you're disagreeing with me.   scared.gif

I agree that he shows a ton of passion and can fire the team up.  But that doesn't necessarily make him the right personality for captain.  I think Ovechkin is one of the guys you want to be able to turn loose.  To let him shoot his mouth off, go nuts, do whatever he wants. 

He'd have to reign that in some as captain.  It usually doesn't go well if the guy yapping and taunting is the one talking to the refs about penalties.  I'd rather he just be able to do his thing without having to worry about the leadership role.

Crosby has plenty of learning to do before he's ever gonna be a good captain, but I could see it in his personality more. 

Yzerman wasn't exactly a rah rah guy on the ice early in his career.

I 'd say it makes him exactly the right personality for captain. When you look at the guys who are considered the top captains, they're nearly all like that. Messier, Stevens, and Sundin are fiery as hell.

Stevie just shows that the exception proves the rule. He's actually never been a rah rah guy. He leads by example. He also posesses a solemn, quiet dignity that makes other players look up to him.

From what I've seen of Crosby's personality, he's a total douchebag. I couldn't see anyone looking to him for leadership. I also don't think you can learn to be a leader... that's a quality you either have or you don't. Unless he has something that he hasn't shown yet, I just don't see it in him.

Edited by WestCoastWingsFan, 12 March 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#25 WestCoastWingsFan

WestCoastWingsFan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ March 12, 2006 - 02:28AM)
Yep. Safe to say Ovechkin was not well thought of here in Canada.

Though I personally really like Alex. As NN put it, he has a lot of enthusiasm and loves scoring goals.

Crosby yaps, yes, but I think he's really trying to do too much. On a team where half the veterans couldn't possibly care less, he's been put into a leadership role that I don't think he's ready for.

So a bunch of Canadians didn't warm up to a rival country's best players. Wow! Didn't see that one coming! Somebody alert the press! rolleyes.gif

If I was a top Russian player who spent a whole tournament being razzed by a flurry of drunk, obnoxious maple suckers, I'd taunt them as well.

I do agree with you (and Ovechkin) that giving Croz the A was a dumb move.

#26 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

AO.

He's an all around great player, possesses such great skills, and makes those around him look good.

I found this link on another board. About how Alfredsson thinks Ovechkin is the best player in the league, and that Crosby is a crybaby. Haha it made me laugh.

http://www.ottawasun...483691-sun.html
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#27 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

Ovechkin...of course!

Posted Image

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (WestCoastWingsFan @ March 12, 2006 - 05:33PM)
So a bunch of Canadians didn't warm up to a rival country's best players. Wow! Didn't see that one coming! Somebody alert the press! rolleyes.gif

If I was a top Russian player who spent a whole tournament being razzed by a flurry of drunk, obnoxious maple suckers, I'd taunt them as well.

You said you'd never seen or heard of Ovechkin taunting anyone. I was merely pointing out an instance where he had.

It's not like it's unprecedented for him.

#29 WestCoastWingsFan

WestCoastWingsFan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (haroldsnepsts @ March 14, 2006 - 07:30AM)
You said you'd never seen or heard of Ovechkin taunting anyone. I was merely pointing out an instance where he had.

It's not like it's unprecedented for him.

Taunting fans is a far cry from taunting opposing players.

Plus I think we can give him a mulligan for that one. Anyone would have done the same thing in that situation.

#30 mattkientz

mattkientz

• PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Ovechkin.
Lidstrom Rules is my musical mentor. \m/

#31 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Typically, I'm not much of a fan of the whole +/- statistic, but for Ovechkin to play the minutes that he plays and be a +1 on a team that has won 22 out of 63 games and that has been outscored 244 to 180 is pretty impressive. Only 4 other caps have a +/- of over zero, and 2 of those have played 12 games between them.

Crosby may eventually become the better of the two, but for now I have to give the nod to Ovechkin (not really based on the +/- statistic referenced above, I just think that his game is more complete as of right now...then again he is the older of the two as well...).
As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.