• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

5 Reason's Datsyuk Will NOT Be Traded

Rate this topic

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

Reason #6:

Holland has about one week to make the biggest trade of his career,and we all know he doesn't have a reason to do so.(1 pt out of 1st)

This is completely false, last season Z played the majority of it with Holmstrom and Samuelsson. Datsyuk and Z played together last year, but Hank can play with anyone and produce.

This is the difference between the two, Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. Z produces with whoever is on his line, Datsyuk MUST have another great player there for him to be successful. Case in point all of the "Which winger do we get for Datsyuk??" threads.

No kidding, Zetterberg played on a line with Samuelsson and Holmstrom for most of last season. I'm not going to argue that they're better together, that's obvious, but the fact I'm trying to get across is that Datsyuk is only as good as his linemates while Zetterberg can be very good with whoever. Obviously not as good as with Datsyuk, but he'd still lead the team in goals.

Would you make up your mind as to who Zetterberg played with last season? If that was Holmstrom and Samuelsson, then why Datsyuk was on the ice for more than half of Zetts goals? If it was Datsyuk, then why do you say that Zetterberg does not need him to shine? Without Datsyuk on the ice. Zetterberg scored 16 goals last year and 8 goals this year. With Datsyuk on the ice, Zetterberg scored 23 goals last year and 22 goals this year. This suggests that Zetterberg production with just any other line is not very good. Zetterbeg scores at less than half rate, when he is not paired with Datsyuk. Datsyuk's production doesn't fall as much when he is not with Zettrberg. See above posts.

I think there's a large difference between saying that Zetterberg will survive without Datsyuk on his line, and saying he can carry the team on his own. you seem to be confusing the two.

What does "will survive" mean? If Zetterberg would be scoring 20-25 goals per season w/o Datsyuk, how long until the posters here would call for trading him? Right now, he is scoring a lot, so everyone says trade Datsyuk, keep Zetterberg, he will carry the team in the future. The point I am trying to make, is that Datsyuk makes Zetterberg a great player, instead of a very good one. And if Dats goes, are all the posters here prepered to see just a very good Zettreberg instead of a great one?

To clarify, Zetterberg also makes Datsyuk much better player. I am not saying that keeping Datsyuk and trading Zetterberg is a good idea. I am just tired of people praising Zetterberg and bashing Datsyuk, while ignoring the Datsyuk's contribution to Zetterberg's success.

Datsyuk has been playing wing ever since him and Hank were reunited, so before killing the threadstarter do your homework or watch a game. Also, Datsyuk and Hank were seperated most of last season with both their wingers (Sammy and Shanny) enjoying career years, so I'd say they both made their lines go pretty well. Finally, both Hank and Pav struggled earlier in the season (Hank even moreso) and picked it up when being reunited. I'd say they both enhance each other's game but as individual players are still outstanding. This garbage is like the Sergei vs. Stevie debate all over again.

I missed out on Datsyuk playing wing, I admit. However that has absolutely nothing to do with my original point. The 5 arguments listed are not reasons for Datsyuk staying in Detroit. Datsyuk is not irreplaceable, he's not the key to Zetterberg's success, and he's certainly no go-to guy in the playoffs. I'm not sure what the rest of this post is supposed to prove. It adds absolutely nothing new.

...so put Zetts on a line with say, Crosby or Yzerman or Fedorov or Larionov or Adam Oates (in their prime, of course) and he will only score single digit goals? Please! Put Z on a line with ANY playmaker along with a player who takes the abuse (ie. Holmstrom, Lapointe, s***, even Ciccarelli in his day) and he still scores 40 or 50...

...you know, you can have a Turkey sandwhich without cheddar cheese. Swiss cheese taste's just as good with it and so does provolone...

Are you comparing Datsyuk to "Crosby or Yzerman or Fedorov or Larionov or Adam Oates "? :)

One could reverse this argument, and compare Zettrberg to Stu Barnes, who got about 40 goals one year playing with Mario, then signed a large contract with another team and never came close to that many goals again.

Neither extreme applies here. Hockey is a team game. Every successful line needs balance. You need passing, defense, shooting, speed, and grinding ability. Take any component away, and the line suddenly doesn't score so much anymore. Take away Datsyuk, and Zetterberg scores half as many goals. Remove Zetterberg, and Datsyuk becomes much less effective.

In other words, PB and J sandwich cannot be made without both PB and J. (and bread, i.e. Homer).

As the past seasons have proven, regular season success does not necessarily translate into post-season success.

Why do you always have to be so negative ?? Its almost like you want Datsyuk slump in the playoffs or something. I don't get it.

I think this post makes total sense, and I can see every point you made. I have complete faith that Datsyuk will get resigned and will be playing with the Wings for years to come. He fits here to well, aslong as he is happy being here and is sucessful here then both parties win. I think his play as of late justifys him being a elite player and a crucial part of Detroit's success. We have great chemistry going right now on this team and we shouldn't change much as of now. Like the old saying goes if it is not broke then don't fix it.

I would like to hear what all the skeptics are saying now, a few months ago alot of them were saying Datsyuk is not getting things done and wants to much and what has he done this season, now that he has sparked his production and others around him, everyone still doesen't want to give the guy any credit and are now changing thier story from he hasn't done anything this season to, " I always knew he could score in the regular season, Now we have to see what he can do in the playoffs, and that the regular season does nothing and blah blah blah.

Same thing will all the Hasek skeptics, All of them were saying he is old and washed up and this and that, what now?? The guy is having another awesome season and is getting better the longer it goes.

Pavel needs to stay here, He belongs here everyone should see that.

To each their own...but Zetterberg >>> Datsyuk and is much more necessary for our future.

Dats has the prettiest moves and shiftiness and when he's hot, he's money. If he isnt traded, and I dont think he will be, this year's playoffs should be the last straw. The guy is in his prime and he hasnt produced in the playoffs, infact he's been a huge nonfactor. You cant have a star player making 5 million when he isnt legitimately helping you to achieve your final goal.

EDIT: This is not to say the recent playoff failures are all Datsyuk's fault. There are many other key issues that need to be addressed.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Why do you always have to be so negative ?? Its almost like you want Datsyuk slump in the playoffs or something. I don't get it.

I think this post makes total sense, and I can see every point you made. I have complete faith that Datsyuk will get resigned and will be playing with the Wings for years to come. He fits here to well, aslong as he is happy being here and is sucessful here then both parties win. I think his play as of late justifys him being a elite player and a crucial part of Detroit's success. We have great chemistry going right now on this team and we shouldn't change much as of now. Like the old saying goes if it is not broke then don't fix it.

I would like to hear what all the skeptics are saying now, a few months ago alot of them were saying Datsyuk is not getting things done and wants to much and what has he done this season, now that he has sparked his production and others around him, everyone still doesen't want to give the guy any credit and are now changing thier story from he hasn't done anything this season to, " I always knew he could score in the regular season, Now we have to see what he can do in the playoffs, and that the regular season does nothing and blah blah blah.

Same thing will all the Hasek skeptics, All of them were saying he is old and washed up and this and that, what now?? The guy is having another awesome season and is getting better the longer it goes.

Simmer. I wasn't talking about Pavel.

He referred to us being one point out of first place, implying Holland doesn't need to make a move because Detroit is doing well in the standings. But the Wings have won the President's Trophy and promptly washed out in the playoffs.

Just because we're one point out of first doesn't mean Holland doesn't need to make a move.

It was nothing to do with Datsyuk.

This is beyond laughable. If you go back 4 months ago, a year ago, and a year before that, people were saying the same thing: Dats is a great regular season scorer, but struggles in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks Dats isn't a great regular season performer deserves to be never taken seriously again.

The problem most people have with Datsyuk, is that Detroit measures success with Stanly Cups, not regular season stats. If Dats is going to make $5 million a year (11.36% of the cap) while playing in Detroit, he needs to produce in the playoffs. If he can't, he doesn't warrant a $5 million deal. It's as simple as that. We need Dats to step up and help lead the team when the playoffs roll around, and that's the reason some people want him shipped out. What scares the hell out of me is Dats going on a regular season tear (which he has), and then he prices himself right out of Detroit's range. Now all of a sudden we lose an incredible talent for absolutely nothing. This is my biggest concern.

What the skeptics are saying is true, he hasn't proved anything thus far this season. Everybody already knows what he is capable of in the regular season. The skeptics have been saying this for years, they didn't just "change their story". There's good reason too, since he pulls the same disappearing act every post season. Datsyuk wants to be paid elite money, his agent has made that pretty clear. So why shouldn't he be expected to deliver when it counts?

Simmer. I wasn't talking about Pavel.

He referred to us being one point out of first place, implying Holland doesn't need to make a move because Detroit is doing well in the standings. But the Wings have won the President's Trophy and promptly washed out in the playoffs.

Just because we're one point out of first doesn't mean Holland doesn't need to make a move.

It was nothing to do with Datsyuk.

I apologize, I misunderstood what you were saying. Didn't mean to jump on your case or anything.

What the skeptics are saying is true, he hasn't proved anything thus far this season. Everybody already knows what he is capable of in the regular season. The skeptics have been saying this for years, they didn't just "change their story". There's good reason too, since he pulls the same disappearing act every post season. Datsyuk wants to be paid elite money, his agent has made that pretty clear. So why shouldn't he be expected to deliver when it counts?

We'll just have to see. What if Hank is a no-show, should we trade him for whoever wins the Conn Smythe since we know they will produce?

This whole Dats situation is starting to piss me off. Well, not the situation, but the arguments on here about it. Yes Dats and Zetts play better together than alone, easily. Arguing that Dats is better alone that Zetts is or vice versa is stupid, because honestly, they play so damn well together, they should never play without eachother. Zetterberg does strike me as a better leader, but that does not translate into a better player.

The whole damn team has not faired well at all in the playoffs since 2002. In 2002 Dats was on third or fourth line, so ofcourse he wasnt going to get much done. Zetterberg has not faired much better in the playoffs either. I would say Zetterberg has a better nack for the net, which would explain the goals he scored in the playoffs.

Dats does not need some flashy winger who can score from all angles, he needs someone who can put the puck in the net. I honestly feel that the way the rest of our team has been playing, without Dats AND Zetts, our team isnt a playoff bound team. Say what you want about Dats playoff performance, however he plays a big part in getting our team into the playoffs.

Every playoff game I have watched since 2002 (which is all but like 4 games) we looked flat. Our defense, yes even lidstrom played bad against edmonton. Edmonton's speed beat us. Pronger outplayed Lids, Rolson, Legace.

I am not saying Dats' playoff performances were not craptacular, but I am saying is if you look at what our team as a whole has done in the playoffs, you cant expect much more from him. He is a playmaker. If the guy he is feeding to struggles to put the puck in the net, Dats can't help it.

Bottom line, we all know it will come down to this years playoffs. Arguing over who is better, Z or D is silly. They are both a valuable part of the Wings. Everyone is well aware of Dats struggle in the playoffs, so this fact does not need to brought up in every single post. The team is on a roll, and so is the D-H-Z line, so be optomistic, opposed to pessimistic, and lets hope it can continue into the playoffs.

I'd just like them to get past the first round. Sure Dats hasn't had good playoff numbers, fine, but I don't think last year is really a fair indicator. Missing final 10 or so games and the first one of the playoffs, starting out with Drapes on wing, and really only 3 guys producing anything. It's all been said before. he still managed 3 points in 5 games, and if not for some great saves, and bad luck by him and some others (post himself, along with Lebda come to mind) he'd of had a few more points and it wouldn't have looked so bad.

I understand the Stanley Cup or bust attitude with the Wings I guess, but that's just really not very realistic. I attribute that to a bit of a spoiled fan base, I guess the Wings are just victims of there own success. I read on Mlive where cheli said something along the lines of, people say the regular season doesn't matter, well when you get to that game 7, you sure as hell want it to be at home. Going down the stretch without the performance of all 3 on the top line, the Wings could easily be one of those teams fighting for every point just to make it to the playoffs.

I think regular season performance plays a much larger role in contracts them some think or want to admit. If the wings win it all, I for one don't care if z gets 20 goals, and dats gets none, or the other way around. The games more than goals and assists. Either way, I honestly feel that some people will be pleasently surprised with Datsyuks performance in the P.O.'s this year, while some will never be satisfied.

We'll just have to see. What if Hank is a no-show, should we trade him for whoever wins the Conn Smythe since we know they will produce?

Zetterberg proved last season that he has the ability to score in the playoffs. He scored 6 goals, which is more than Datsyuk has totaled in his entire career. More importantly, Datsyuk wants to be the best paid forward on the team and should be expected to play accordingly. Zetterberg has made no such demands. Is this really so hard to understand?

I suspect it was a poor attempt at being sarcastic, but good luck finding someone trading a Conn Smythe winner for Datsyuk. :sly:

I understand the Stanley Cup or bust attitude with the Wings I guess, but that's just really not very realistic.

When your team wins the Presidents Trophy as many times as the Wings have, yes it is realistic. The Wings may be a victim of their own success, but thats what happens when you are as successful as the Wings have been the past decade. I'm sorry if that upsets you when it comes to Datsyuk, but thats the way it is in Detroit. This would be a none issue if Dats played for a team that consistenly missed the playoffs, but in Detroit, its a major factor.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I'd just like them to get past the first round. Sure Dats hasn't had good playoff numbers, fine, but I don't think last year is really a fair indicator. Missing final 10 or so games and the first one of the playoffs, starting out with Drapes on wing, and really only 3 guys producing anything. It's all been said before. he still managed 3 points in 5 games, and if not for some great saves, and bad luck by him and some others (post himself, along with Lebda come to mind) he'd of had a few more points and it wouldn't have looked so bad.

I understand the Stanley Cup or bust attitude with the Wings I guess, but that's just really not very realistic. I attribute that to a bit of a spoiled fan base, I guess the Wings are just victims of there own success. I read on Mlive where cheli said something along the lines of, people say the regular season doesn't matter, well when you get to that game 7, you sure as hell want it to be at home. Going down the stretch without the performance of all 3 on the top line, the Wings could easily be one of those teams fighting for every point just to make it to the playoffs.

I think regular season performance plays a much larger role in contracts them some think or want to admit. If the wings win it all, I for one don't care if z gets 20 goals, and dats gets none, or the other way around. The games more than goals and assists. Either way, I honestly feel that some people will be pleasently surprised with Datsyuks performance in the P.O.'s this year, while some will never be satisfied.

Is any year a good indication? Seems like the Datsyuk apologist's always have a reason or excuse for Datsyuk never showing up.

It's not Stanley Cup or bust! It's about not dominating in the regular season only to lose out to the underdog. It's about improving, advancing if you will. It's about giving it your everything. For Datsyuk it's about delivering when it counts and proving why he should be the best paid forward on the team. High salary demands comes with high expectations.

No question, the players get paid for the regular season and not the playoffs, but why should Detroit hang on to Datsyuk if he's incapable of elevating his game and help them win in the post season? Especially when he wants to get paid like the best in the league? Afterall, winning is what it's all about for the Red Wings as an organization. They have the choice of spending that money on any other free agent and they will if Datsyuk doesn't improve.

Edited by RyanBarnes!

Guest LivingtheDream

If you want to get technical Z's scoring has gone up 273% while Holmstrom's has gone up 274%. :P Just thought I'd point that out.

You know whats really funny though? That we have to argue about two players that are both playing great hockey right now.

Yes, it is funny. Actually, it is pathetic. We are like the spoiled rich kid debating on which of daddy's cars we like the most, the Beemer or the Porsche. I happen to like the two of them (hockey players not cars) together more than anything I have seen in hockey for ten years. These two are amazing together and gosh darn it all, I want them to stay together.

Regarding playoff performance, I think we will see something different this year. There is no question at all, not one bit, about who has to take the lead and produce. Shanny was a smart guy and his leaving was the final piece of the puzzle to let this young feller take the challenge.

When your team wins the Presidents Trophy as many times as the Wings have, yes it is realistic. The Wings may be a victim of their own success, but thats what happens when you are as successful as the Wings have been the past decade. I'm sorry if that upsets you when it comes to Datsyuk, but thats the way it is in Detroit. This would be a none issue if Dats played for a team that consistenly missed the playoffs, but in Detroit, its a major factor.

Edit: Spelling

I guess, but the top seed only wins it all like 30% of the time. From 96-06 I'd say there right on schedule. No, expecting them to win every year isn't realistic at all. Sure it's a nice hope or wish, but to expect isn't very smart. No worries, I don't really get too upset over internet opinions. Some of them irritate me for sure, but nah, I'm cool. But it is foolish IMO to think that Dats will never produce in the playoffs. And nope, got no evidence to back up my claim, we'll just call it a gut feeling or something. ;)

Is any year a good indication? Seems like the Datsyuk apologist's always have a reason or excuse for Datsyuk never showing up.

It's not Stanley Cup or bust! It's about not dominating in the regular season only to lose out to the underdog. It's about improving, advancing if you will. It's about giving it your everything. For Datsyuk it's about delivering when it counts and proving why he should be the best paid forward on the team. High salary demands comes with high expectations.

No question, the players get paid for the regular season and not the playoffs, but why should Detroit hang on to Datsyuk if he's incapable of elevating his game and help them win in the post season? Especially when he wants to get paid like the best in the league? Afterall, winning is what it's all about for the Red Wings as an organization. They have the choice of spending that money on any other free agent and they will if Datsyuk doesn't improve.

Yeah, seems like the Z lovers seem to think one series makes a career. He's had ONE good series. Didn't do s*** the others. So if Dats has a good first series, does he suddenly become a playoff performer too?

That's crap, it's Cup or bust for 90% of the posters around here. The Wings aren't the only team to get beat by the underdog, that's why they play the games. You don't think the team has improved this season over last, considering the loss of The Captian and Shanny? Right, for Datsyuk it's about delivering when it counts and showing he "deserves" his money, yet Lids gets a free pass cause he's "proven it before". That's a load of s*** too, that only applys to certain favored players. So, Lang deserves the same money as Dats, cause he scores a couple goals in the post season, (where they still get eliminated) and dozes his way through the regular season. That don't make much sense. I thought high salary demands come with high expectations? Big Bert? Oh, no not him, even though he sucks in the playoffs, he's big and tough so he deserves it. :rolleyes:

Right, so why give the people on a message board that like the guy on the team such a hard time? Your last paragraph seems like a problem you should take up with managment thorugh letters or petitions or something. I realize I have no bearing on what he gets paid or who he plays for, so I just root for him, instead of nit picking and beating the same dead horse that's already a bloody puddle of jello.

I guess, but the top seed only wins it all like 30% of the time. From 96-06 I'd say there right on schedule. No, expecting them to win every year isn't realistic at all. Sure it's a nice hope or wish, but to expect isn't very smart. No worries, I don't really get too upset over internet opinions. Some of them irritate me for sure, but nah, I'm cool. But it is foolish IMO to think that Dats will never produce in the playoffs. And nope, got no evidence to back up my claim, we'll just call it a gut feeling or something. ;)

You're missing the point. It's not that I expect a cup every single year. That is very unrealistic, but 3 early exits from the playoffs when the Wings have had one of the top spots, is what the Wings consider unsuccessful.

Sidenote: I hope you're right and Dats does step up this post season. On top of that (if he does step up), I hope he signs a 4 year / $4.5 - $5 million deal.

Right, for Datsyuk it's about delivering when it counts and showing he "deserves" his money, yet Lids gets a free pass cause he's "proven it before". That's a load of s*** too, that only applys to certain favored players.

I understand your frustration with some people's opinion of Dats, but please god tell me you don't mean this. If you do, its one of the most ridiculous things I've heard around here.

Lids had one truly poor post-season showing in his career opposed to Dats who is still looking for his first strong showing. It's not that people are favoring certain players, its that you're comparing apples to oranges when you talk about Lid's and Dat's post-season careers.