#21 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

Yes, Lang has been in a slump.

[/font]

No, Lang being in a slump does not 'hold back' Dan Cleary. A large number of Cleary's points this season came because he was on Lang's wing, and Lang was playing very well at the time.

No, the solution is not to drop Lang to the 4th line or Grand Rapids.

Cleary and Williams clearly are not scoring with lang, and that has as much to do with their lack of finishing ability as it does with Lang's slump.

The solution, simply, is to put a guy with Lang who has serious finishing ability, and has displayed chemistry with Lang in the past.

[font="Century"]Jiri Hudler.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#22 CdnWingsFanEh

CdnWingsFanEh

GO WINGS GO!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ February 24, 2007 - 11:51PM) View Post

So, what to do with this bum? When he was actually playing well the retard rodeo was still in town bagging on him, but now he's just been just as horrible as Willy lately, if not worse.

His trade value really is nil if you ask me. Playing like ass, old, UFA, etc. A good benching is the only line of recourse I can envision.

And for what it's worth, deep within my heart I still believe he can turn it up in the playoffs. That doesn't forgive this absolutely disgraceful hockey he's been playing, but it's something.

You know, I've never really had a huge problem with Lang. I figure, yeah he doesn't skate quite as hard as some of the other players, but I never had a huge issue with it as long as he produced. And for the most part he's been effective. Even in the playoffs. But lately, just watchikng him float around on the ice, not skating hard, AND not producing is making me want to vomit. He is progressively getting worse. His performance last night was pathetic. I found myself screaming at him at the TV. No hustle. Couldn't be bothered getting back defensively. Just floating in the neutral zone waiting for the long pass. Williams hasn't produced either, and I'm not defending him, but at least in last night's game he was moving. He may have been useless as well, but he seemed to be trying (just not succeeding). It was nice to see Filp spending a little time with Willy and Lang, but here's the thing; Why not split up the dynamic duds of Willy and Lang. Neither of them are effective right now. Put someone else on there. Maybe that will light a fire? (hopeful thinking). Put Willy with Hudler and Langfeld, and Lang with Filppula and Ellis. Maybe the mixup with some youth will help Lang, and being away from Lang will help WIlliams.
I don't want to trade Lang if only because he was one of the few players we had show up in the playoffs last year. We're going to need help with points, and I'm hoping at some point he can pick it back up (even if just in time for round 1).
I love the idea of benching him for his lack of effort. Hell, I'd like to bench (or trade) Williams too. The only issue with this, is who do we replace him with? Sammy's still out, Cleary's out now, Kopecky's out. Maybe Lilja would be better on forward than defense??? blink.gif I guess we'd have to call someone up.
Hope for once Holland has something up his sleeve to deal with this.It's only getting worse, when it should be getting better. ..
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Facts. Who needs facts? You can prove anything with facts... 10% of all people know that...

"That's it. My groin, it cannot handle it," --Hasek (after his last skate at Joe Louis Arena)

#23 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

I'm more worried about how that #13 character is going to pull off his annual Houdini act come late April....

Lang will be fine as long as he is healthy
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#24 Wings_Rule_1010

Wings_Rule_1010

LGRW!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(eva unit zero @ February 25, 2007 - 09:32AM) View Post

Yes, Lang has been in a slump.

[/font]

No, Lang being in a slump does not 'hold back' Dan Cleary. A large number of Cleary's points this season came because he was on Lang's wing, and Lang was playing very well at the time.

No, the solution is not to drop Lang to the 4th line or Grand Rapids.

Cleary and Williams clearly are not scoring with lang, and that has as much to do with their lack of finishing ability as it does with Lang's slump.

The solution, simply, is to put a guy with Lang who has serious finishing ability, and has displayed chemistry with Lang in the past.

[font="Century"]Jiri Hudler.

Yeah, I agree with that to some point. But I feel that if Lang would give at least some effort, that line would definitely have a few more points.
Go Blue!!!

#25 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Wings_Rule_1010 @ February 25, 2007 - 04:47PM) View Post

Yeah, I agree with that to some point. But I feel that if Lang would give at least some effort, that line would definitely have a few more points.

But that's the whole problem innit? He's not even TRYING.

#26 bogeygolfer

bogeygolfer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

well he's playing with the 2 s***tiest players on the team
Williams has done far less than hulder all year
and willy still gets the minutes

#27 Sentonial Debut

Sentonial Debut

WE ARE THE D

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

i've been one of the many who've bashed Lang numerously over the years but i think he needs a good kick in the ass. i think he's gonna have to be big for us in the playoffs if we have any hope so maybe moving him down to the fourth line or benching him for a couple games will get him going. plus we need to put some decent players on a line with him

#28 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(bogeygolfer @ February 25, 2007 - 11:42PM) View Post

well he's playing with the 2 s***tiest players on the team
Williams has done far less than hulder all year
and willy still gets the minutes

Cleary has never been among our s***tiest players. Willy has been miserable but I'd still say that it's mostly Lang and his attitude that is the biggest problem at the moment.
Thank You TeeMan

#29 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

I can see why Lang is upset, playing on a line with Williams and all. laugh.gif

In all seriousness though, Lang really needs to pick it up. He is so lazy out there sometimes, it's sickening. I just don't know what we can do with him right now.

#30 BetweenThePipes

BetweenThePipes

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

I've always been a Lang supporter...I'll admit, he's not doing the best he can right now, but we also have to keep in mind that we don't know what goes on with the players 'behind the scenes' so to speak. We know Lang has done some great stuff for this team and anyone can hit a bumpy road sometimes. Maybe Zetterberg's super duper hot streak is making Lang look worse than he is (Or I could just be looking for a scapegoat wink.gif ).

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't sit here and say Lang (or any player) sucks and whatever without really, truly knowing the whole story.

Let the bitching commence!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks Offsides, You are too kind :)

#31 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Does anyone else remember the rumors a few weeks ago or a month ago (can't remember when exactly) about how Lang and Babcock don't get along. I remember reading something somewhere, and now that Lang is looking uninspired and lazy out there - well it makes me think that it has something to do with him just not wanting to be here anymore...

Although it could also be the fact that he isn't playing with the type of players he played with in Washington when he was red-hot (Jagr was one of them). Anyway, I hope that he can either pick it up, or we can trade him for a 1st round pick and a depth guy, then take that pick and try to pick up Guerin or someone with a scoring touch soon!

We need to move Filppula and Hudler up with Lang, FIlppula had like three scoring chances last night after his ice time was increased. At this point, the second line can't get any worse, it's time for some serious experimenting Babs.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(SwedeLundin77 @ February 25, 2007 - 03:29PM) View Post

Does anyone else remember the rumors a few weeks ago or a month ago (can't remember when exactly) about how Lang and Babcock don't get along. I remember reading something somewhere, and now that Lang is looking uninspired and lazy out there - well it makes me think that it has something to do with him just not wanting to be here anymore...

Although it could also be the fact that he isn't playing with the type of players he played with in Washington when he was red-hot (Jagr was one of them). Anyway, I hope that he can either pick it up, or we can trade him for a 1st round pick and a depth guy, then take that pick and try to pick up Guerin or someone with a scoring touch soon!

We need to move Filppula and Hudler up with Lang, FIlppula had like three scoring chances last night after his ice time was increased. At this point, the second line can't get any worse, it's time for some serious experimenting Babs.

Lang never regularly played on a line with Jagr.

#33 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

think we could trade lang now to a eastern conference team for a 1st rounder??? take that 1st rounder and ues it to get a scorer.. Something has to be done with him or around him. im no eklund but id say its a E4 that he will not be back next year in a wings uniform.

#34 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

Do you realize that when we traded for Lang, the Capitals received Tomas Fleischmann, a first-round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and a fourth-round pick in 2006. At the time Lang was the league's leading scorer.... Now look at this year and Forsberg and Tkachuk. All I can say is this year's trades so far are beyond inflated. It really is BS.

QUOTE(Crymson @ February 25, 2007 - 05:39PM) View Post

Lang never regularly played on a line with Jagr.

My bad, I'm not sure who is wingers were, but they were better than Williams and Cleary, that is for sure. I am pretty sure he centered a line with Bondra now that I remember correctly.

#35 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

I think that Lang needs someone other than Williams on his line to break out of his slump, I think that a guy like Fedotenko or maybe even Bondra (i think hes a center, but we could convert him) may help and I know that Fedotenko has a habit of scoring important goals, and hes bigger than Blake (recent rumors) but close to being as fast as him. Stats-wise I'm not sure. Also Fedotenko and Bondra haven't been mentioned in many trades so maybe the Wings could pick them up at a discount price?? Then to that I would just add Fedoruk and be happy... biggrin.gif
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian

#36 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(TheUkrainian @ February 25, 2007 - 04:58PM) View Post

I think that Lang needs someone other than Williams on his line to break out of his slump, I think that a guy like Fedotenko or maybe even Bondra (i think hes a center, but we could convert him) may help and I know that Fedotenko has a habit of scoring important goals, and hes bigger than Blake (recent rumors) but close to being as fast as him. Stats-wise I'm not sure. Also Fedotenko and Bondra haven't been mentioned in many trades so maybe the Wings could pick them up at a discount price?? Then to that I would just add Fedoruk and be happy... biggrin.gif

To follow your lead, the Wings should also trade for Ponikarovsky, Tkachuk, Zhitnik, Tverdovsky, Babchuk, Vishnevsky, Mikhnov (both of them), and Zherdev. Did I forget anybody? smile.gif
P.S. Unfortunately, Hawerchuk, Andreychuk, and Bucyk are no longer available.

Edited by sibiriak, 25 February 2007 - 06:36 PM.

#37 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(sibiriak @ February 25, 2007 - 06:34PM) View Post

To follow your lead, the Wings should also trade for Ponikarovsky, Tkachuk, Zhitnik, Tverdovsky, Babchuk, Vishnevsky, Mikhnov (both of them), and Zherdev. Did I forget anybody? smile.gif
P.S. Unfortunately, Hawerchuk, Andreychuk, and Bucyk are no longer available.

Denis Shvidki.

I think he's pretty much given up on the NHL though.

#38 mario

mario

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Manny4Prez @ February 25, 2007 - 01:10AM) View Post

I agree. He'll be there in the playoffs.

He may be one of the only ones, too.

Oh for sure he will show up if he is not traded
but he won't be there getting any points or showing interest

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(SwedeLundin77 @ February 25, 2007 - 03:48PM) View Post

Do you realize that when we traded for Lang, the Capitals received Tomas Fleischmann, a first-round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and a fourth-round pick in 2006. At the time Lang was the league's leading scorer.... Now look at this year and Forsberg and Tkachuk. All I can say is this year's trades so far are beyond inflated. It really is BS.

My bad, I'm not sure who is wingers were, but they were better than Williams and Cleary, that is for sure. I am pretty sure he centered a line with Bondra now that I remember correctly.

I totally agree with the first section of your post.

As for the second--indeed, Lang has had better wingers in the past. However, recall that he and Cleary were the BEST duo on the team for the first part of the season. I think Lang is entirely to blame here.

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

Its Babcock , Lang will continue to play , babcock is AFraid to sctrach him , and wont put him on the 4th line , what he needs to do is Try Hudler-Williams-Fillpula , but he wont , because hes babcock

#NOMOREKINDL