• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agalloch

Have you met any current/former Red Wings? If so...

Rate this topic

Went to high school and a few University of Windsor courses with Adam Graves... you won't meet a nicer, more down-to-earth cat than him. Once at a Spitfires practice I saw him shoot the puck the entire length of the ice into the net wrong-handed. He could out arm-wrestle anybody...

Edited by dicksmack

I think I've met most, if not all of the current roster (minus Calder and Bert obviously), most of the Griffns, and I've met Stevie, Manny, Shanny, and a few other former Wings.

The ones that stand out as really nice guys are Homer, Ozzy, Kronner, Lebda, Hank, and Maltby. Brett Lebda and Darryl Bootlland are two of the nicest, most gracious guys you'll ever meet. Stevie was really quiet and humble when I met him, but somone said something about the Leafs and he started cracking jokes about them. Chelly is just as grumpy as you would think, but he's still a really nice guy. And Homer is just as hilarious as you would think.

I've never really had a bad encounter with any Wing...the only one who was even a smidge rude was Cleary. He came off as kind of a jerk, but Willy was right there and kind of gave us a disclaimer that that he comes off that way to everyone (even his teammates) and that it's just his personality. :lol:

Not just because I don't like him as a player, but I would have to say that Lilja was basically the only rude Wing I have ever met. I went to Columbus last year and he was the only Wing not to stop and sign autographs. He was on his cell phone, acting like he was too good for everyone.

That does't at all shock me. But then again, maybe it was something important on the phone? Who knows. But you were there so you'd know better.

I think I've met most, if not all of the current roster (minus Calder and Bert obviously), most of the Griffns, and I've met Stevie, Manny, Shanny, and a few other former Wings.

The ones that stand out as really nice guys are Homer, Ozzy, Kronner, Lebda, Hank, and Maltby. Brett Lebda and Darryl Bootlland are two of the nicest, most gracious guys you'll ever meet. Stevie was really quiet and humble when I met him, but somone said something about the Leafs and he started cracking jokes about them. Chelly is just as grumpy as you would think, but he's still a really nice guy. And Homer is just as hilarious as you would think.

I've never really had a bad encounter with any Wing...the only one who was even a smidge rude was Cleary. He came off as kind of a jerk, but Willy was right there and kind of gave us a disclaimer that that he comes off that way to everyone (even his teammates) and that it's just his personality. :lol:

Really? Cleary was really nice when I met him. How was he acting?

Didn't you meet Oz at TC this year?

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

I met maltby i work at best buy he came in and i talked to him and sold him a camera and a tv. Really nice guy. I hapened to have 3 wings tickets in my car that day and i was fortuanate enough to run out to the car and grab them and he signed them and everything. Really nice guy, down to earth. I felt bad for him though because noone in the store really knew who it was untill i told people and then everyone was all around him lol. I'd hate t obe a celebrity. I also met zetterberg obviously look at the pick to the left haha. He was a good guy to.

That does't at all shock me. But then again, maybe it was something important on the phone? Who knows. But you were there so you'd know better.

Didn't you meet Oz at TC this year?

People were talking to him and he kind of just stared at them like 'whatever'. Willy said that his squad had just gotten their asses kicked, so that was probably why he was in a bad mood.

Yep, Oz still in his PJs. Too cute. He held open the door to the arena for Lids, and then waited a few seconds and held it open for a group of chicks...who then proceeded to do a double take when they realized who it was. :D He's a sweetie.

I met maltby i work at best buy he came in and i talked to him and sold him a camera and a tv. Really nice guy. I hapened to have 3 wings tickets in my car that day and i was fortuanate enough to run out to the car and grab them and he signed them and everything. Really nice guy, down to earth. I felt bad for him though because noone in the store really knew who it was untill i told people and then everyone was all around him lol. I'd hate t obe a celebrity. I also met zetterberg obviously look at the pick to the left haha. He was a good guy to.

That's awesome.. Damn i hate living in BC sometimes, i miss out on seeing them everyday :(

True. It could have been an important phone call. There was just an arrogance about him, on his cell phone, in his really nice suit that completely turned me off from him

I met Cleary last year in Columbus. He seemed very nice, even cracking a few jokes.

I've only met Ted Lindsay and Gordie Howe. Lindsay was at one of my hockey banquets when I was like 10 years old, I was one of two girls in the entire league and I remember him telling me how awesome it was that I played. I met Gordie Howe a couple of times, I played hockey with one of his relatives...might of been his grandson. The other time I met him was at a book signing at a Wings game, it was pretty cool because there were some people telling him that it was time for him to go, but he said he wouldn't leave until there wasn't anyone in line.

I would love to meet Stevie Y, he's always been my favorite player. Meeting Lidstrom, Hank, or Bertuzzi would be pretty cool too. :cool:

Edited by Comrade Zorro

I've only met Ted Lindsay and Gordie Howe. Lindsay was at one of my hockey banquets when I was like 10 years old, I was one of two girls in the entire league and I remember him telling me how awesome it was that I played. I met Gordie Howe a couple of times, I played hockey with one of his relatives...might of been his grandson. The other time I met him was at a book signing at a Wings game, it was pretty cool because there were some people telling him that it was time for him to go, but he said he wouldn't leave until there wasn't anyone in line.

I would love to meet Stevie Y, he's always been my favorite player. Meeting Lidstrom, Hank, or Bertuzzi would be pretty cool too. :cool:

Met Gordie when he had a resturant here in TC. Not there any more though. He's a really nice guy. I convinced him to elbow me (lightly of course) :P

I've never met any of them, but a buddy of mine who lives in Dallas met Gordie Howe after this years All Star Game. I asked him id Stevie was with him and he said "who"? I just didn't say anything, I couldn't believe it.

Met Gordie when he had a resturant here in TC. Not there any more though. He's a really nice guy. I convinced him to elbow me (lightly of course) :P

I met quite a few Wings over the years at various places (I used to go to the Post Bar after games a lot and there were always at least 4-5 Wings there). I met almost everyone from the 1996-97 Cup team, at various places around town and signings except for Mike Vernon. I have a Cup champions t-shirt that's signed by everyone except Vernie and Konstantinov. Last spring I was in Columbus and actually rode up in the elevator with Lidstrom, Lilja, Homer, and Franzen.

I've probably met Stevie the most, cuz he's my favorite (like, duh!) and I always tried to go whenever he was doing a signing. He's always very nice and personable. And he will personalize autographs...some of them won't.

My best friend used to work at a swimwear store at the Somerset Collection and Shanny and his then-girlfriend (now his wife) came in shopping for a swimsuit for her. Shanny was chatting with my friend while Cathy was trying on suits and Cathy didn't like that. My friend said Cathy gave her such an evil eye. But Shanny was really nice.

In early 1997 my friend and I went to a dance club in Pontiac called Industry (it's no longer there). We ran into Draper, McCarty and Osgood there and spent quite a bit of time talking to Drapes. He even bought us beers. My friend was wearing a Paul Coffey sweater and Drapes was ribbing her about that. He convinced her to take it off (she had a t-shirt on underneath) and he put it on. Mac came by and teased Drapes about always wanting to be a defenceman. LOL Mac didn't stay and talk with us though - he was too busy hitting on hot chicks on the dance floor...and he can't dance. :ph34r:

:blush: I met Hank a couple months back at Hockeytown Authentics in Troy. He's SO cute/sweet and he had a smile on his face the whole night. I don't think he was too comfortable though, with all 400 or so people waiting to meet him, (I wouldn't be) but he was so nice to everyone and you could just tell he's a good guy.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Ive seen Lidstrom twice and stoppted to talk to him once. the time i talked to him he sat right behind be in a movie theter and seeing as team america haden't started yet my freinds and i asked him. There was a guy with him who i had no idea who he has prolly just a regular freind. he was really nice and autographged my napkin =D. Other time I saw him he was with his wife pushing a Rolls Royce stroller in one of my freinds neighborhood. Dre Bly also lived in that neighborhood.

I also met Holmstrom around 02 at the gym when my dad was showing me around. 99% sure it was novi sports club and he was lifting weights. At the same place i also think i saw Chris Osgood because it looked just like him only shorter. I didnt talk to him tho seeing as he busy.

I got to meet a few Wings when at random places I've worked. A few years back I worked at Dick's sporting goods in Novi. Lidstrom, Larionov and Krupp used to come in there all of the time. Sold shoes to Lidstrom about once or twice a year, super nice guy. He'd talk about whatever you'd ask him, but i tried not to obsess about hockey too much.

A little bit before that I worked at a watch store at Fairlane Mall, and Draper and McCarty came once. Just looked around for a few minutes, shook my hand and took off. Again, nice guys.

Unrelated to the Wings, I met Carlos Guillen at Bass Pro Shop. He was wearing a pink Mickey Mouse shirt. Strange...

the only red wing ive ever met was back in 97. i saw slava fetisov in an airport, and since im russian as well i called his name and spoke russian to him to get his attention. then had a nice little convo with him. he was getting on a plane to go back to russia. really nice guy.

I met Gordie Howe at an autograph signing session when I was a kid, and I hung out with Red Berenson and his family for 2 weeks at my uncle's ranch in Alberta. I also hung out with Glenn Hall there.

My uncle was a pro with both Chicago and St. Louis and spent time in the minors. He had a ranch near Caroline, Alberta and when I was a kid I'd spend every summer there while I was out of school. Red came to the ranch to stay for 2 weeks with his entire family. One thing I remember is Red's wife falling off a horse and injuring her hip, not seriously though. Another thing I remember is that Red and his family arrived there late at night but none of us saw them pull in. I heard something on the front porch and looked out the window and saw out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a Black Bear. I grabbed the 30-30 Winchester off the wall and went back to the window and there's Red Berenson walking up. The "Black Bear" was Red's humongous Newfoundland dog. If you've ever seen a Newfoundland you'll understand the confusion. Anyways, Red and his family stayed with us for 2 weeks and we had a riot drinking beer into the late night and shooting guns at the moon.

Glenn Hall also lived in Alberta and was probably my uncle's closest friend from hockey and he used to drop in from to time.

Other players I've met and knew quite well (at one point in time) were Bobby Clarke and Don Saleski. Another Uncle of mine was also a pro and was coach of the year in the WHA in 1977 (I think) for the Phoenix Roadrunners.

Back in 2003 My uncle got an invitation to have his kids skate at the Joe and meet some of the wings at an event only extended to a certain few as i understand. Knowing the big Red Wings Fan that I am he extended the invitation to me. It was a great experience. At first the invited were allowed to skate around for around a half hour. The first wing out was Manny Legace and I was the first to recognize him, probably because he wasnt well known at the time. Some of the other Red Wings I met while skating at the Joe were Joe Kocur, Luc Robitialle, Jason Williams, Barry Smith, Dave Lewis and my favorite Steve Yzerman. This took place during the period of time Stevie was out due to that knee injury following the 2002 playoff run. He signed autographs from the Red Wing Bench. I was very surprised at how the players were willing to sign autographs and take pictures with everyone all day. All the players were very friendly and nice. Luc Robitialle even brought his kids along and were skating with all the other people. Following that we were invited to the Olympia room for food while Dave Lewis gave a nice speech and informed us of some goingons. It was probably the best day in my life that I will never forget. :)

Also I met Chris Chelios and Sean Avery at a Motor City Mechanics game. Both were very nice. Cheli took the time to autograph quite a few things of mine as there were little people at the back entrance. Derian Hatcher was very rude. I know that he had his wife pick him up at a different exit to avoid signing autographs for the 5 or so of us that were there. I know this because the security were joking about it. Following that a car sped by and the security laughed and said theres Hatcher. That is one of the reasons that I do not like Hatcher and am glad he is not a Red Wing.

I've met Andreas (who was really nice), Jamie Rivers, Captain Nick, Dan Cleary, Steve Yzerman, Robert Lang, Brett Lebda, Chris Chelios, Jiri Hudler, Tomas Kopecky, Jason Williams, Joe MacDonald, Kris Draper, Manny Legace, Valtteri Filppula, Johan Franzen and Tomas Holmstrom. Also Darryl Bootland, who is an absolute sweetheart.

Tomas is a riot...so funny and sweet. And Manny was like a teddy bear - you just wanted to hug him and not let go.

But my favorite of all is Pasha. I met him at camp last fall, and a more gracious, sweet person I've never met. He is the gentlest soul I've ever known...so soft-spoken and shy, but so sweet.

I had a picture that a friend (ChelisChick) took of him signing a puck in Nashville. So when I met him I showed him the picture and said, "I don't know if you remember this, but you signed a puck for a friend of mine in Nashville." He said, "I do remember, and isn't that a nice picture?"

"Well, that puck is in the desk in my living room, and I'd like to take this picture and the puck and make a shadow box for them and hang it on my wall." To which he said, "What a nice idea." Then he was kind enough to let my hubby get a couple pics of us together, he with an arm around me and I with one around him. Perfect.

But that wasn't the end of it. Saturday morning, something told me to wear one of the Moscow Dynamo jerseys of his that I have. I walked in to the arena, and our friend Brit said, "Pat, get over here NOW!" I turned around and there was Pasha, drinking a cup of hot tea. We said good morning and started talking, and then my hubby said, "I bet you don't get to see too many of those", meaning the Dynamo jersey.

"Would you like me to autograph it?" Pasha asked.

"Yeah, sure"...then he asked where I wanted him to sign it and I said "anywhere" . "I'll sign it on the back", he said, and did just that. Then he said he had to go so we said good bye. At that point in time, I think I was in the clouds. What a sweetheart!

Edited by Kira

I played a year of pewee hockey and played on the same team as Kevin Hatchers son Kevin Hatcher went to ever game and coached us little, and one of the practices Derian came. To tell you the honest truth, I didn't like Derian that much. I mean his hat was so low hat you could barely see his eyes, he barely spoke at all, and just said we were doing good. He did sign some autographs however, my number was 24 (an obvious refrence to Chelios's number), so Kevin signed the 4 part, and Derian signed the 2. That was about the only time I've met any player, let alone a redwings player.