• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sean

What do we think about Bertuzzi replacing Holmstrom on the ZDH line?

Rate this topic

I have a serious question about whether Homer is really a top 6 forward, and his play without Zetterberg leads me to believe he needs Hank to produce anything offensively. You take Homer off the top line and you run the risk of him doing nothing while being a liability in his own end. At the same time, I question whether Bertuzzi and Lang will be a good fit. We'll just have to see if Zetterberg's return can turn things around for Homer, and if Lang can prove me wrong and not hinder Bertuzzi's game.

Guest Crymson

I have a serious question about whether Homer is really a top 6 forward, and his play without Zetterberg leads me to believe he needs Hank to produce anything offensively. You take Homer off the top line and you run the risk of him doing nothing while being a liability in his own end. At the same time, I question whether Bertuzzi and Lang will be a good fit. We'll just have to see if Zetterberg's return can turn things around for Homer, and if Lang can prove me wrong and not hinder Bertuzzi's game.

If you believe that about Homer, wouldn't you believe that you'd destroy his offensive production if you moved him off of a line with Z? Wouldn't that result in a net loss to the team?

Homer scored 30 goals last year. All he needs is a line that can get the puck on the net for him, or get good shots past his screens.

Whatever the combos, Bertuzzi will play with Datsyuk--period! For protection (players will be running at him a lot), for creating time and space for Pavel and for being a skilled player who can hang with him. We've seen Hank and Pavel together in the playoffs, they're too small... (and STFU about Hank scoring, the Wings got bounced into golf season)

Seriously? Holmstrom a liability in his own end?

Whatever the combos, Bertuzzi will play with Datsyuk--period! For protection (players will be running at him a lot), for creating time and space for Pavel and for being a skilled player who can hang with him. We've seen Hank and Pavel together in the playoffs, they're too small... (and STFU about Hank scoring, the Wings got bounced into golf season)

bert has already worked wonders for pavs with space...remember that pass he layed out to pavs in the blues game? That was awesome, pavs was wide open :clap:

If you believe that about Homer, wouldn't you believe that you'd destroy his offensive production if you moved him off of a line with Z? Wouldn't that result in a net loss to the team?

Homer scored 30 goals last year. All he needs is a line that can get the puck on the net for him, or get good shots past his screens.

That was the point I was trying to make my good man. ;)

Seriously? Holmstrom a liability in his own end?
If Homer isnt doing his thing in front of the net and along the boards, he's a liability. He's not good with the puck, and his skating makes him vulnerable defensively. Homer is pretty much a one trick pony, but he obviuosly has great chemistry with Zetterberg. Edited by RedRum #1

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom was arguablably the best line in the NHL in December/January.

Assuming Zetterberg gets back for a few regular season games before the playoffs (and I am fairly optimistic that will happen, but that's just an assumption obviously), I'd try to reunite that line.

If there's time for them to gel again (or if they stink it up together somehow), replace Holmstrom with Bertuzzi. Holmstrom's versatile enough, to play most even-strength roles at wing IMO, so he could play anywhere on a scoring/checking line

Guest Crymson

Just like the Versus casters said tonight, Homer and Datsyuk simply don't know where Bert is, and vice-versa. That sort of chemistry takes time to develop.

Take tonight: . As a line, the three of them did jack because they can't coordinate. Meanwhile, ZDH can virtually sense each others` presence and read each others` thoughts on the ice.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom was arguablably the best line in the NHL in December/January.

Assuming Zetterberg gets back for a few regular season games before the playoffs (and I am fairly optimistic that will happen, but that's just an assumption obviously), I'd try to reunite that line.

If there's time for them to gel again (or if they stink it up together somehow), replace Holmstrom with Bertuzzi. Holmstrom's versatile enough, to play most even-strength roles at wing IMO, so he could play anywhere on a scoring/checking line

There is no "arguably" about it. Between the time that the line was put together in late December and when that Zetterberg got hurt in late February, it was THE best line in the NHL. It comfortably outpaced Crosby-Malone-Recchi, the 2nd-ranked line. There was absolutely no argument in the league as to which line was best throughout that time. Also, they were extremely good on defense.

Edited by Crymson

Just like the Versus casters said tonight, Homer and Datsyuk simply don't know where Bert is, and vice-versa. That sort of chemistry takes time to develop.

Homer and Datsyuk worked together. As a line, the three of them did jack because they can't coordinate. Meanwhile, ZDH can virtually sense each others` presence and read each others` thoughts on the ice.

There is no "arguably" about it. Between the time that the line was put together and the time that Zetterberg got hurt, it was THE best line in the NHL in production, and one of the best on the D-side of things.

I suggest you start watching hockey.

I should start watching hockey? Let's see, the puck has to be the first thing that crosses the blue line or it's offsides. You score goals in hockey, not runs. Icing is where the opposing team shoots the puck behind the red line to relieve pressure and it crosses the goal line behind the net. A normal hockey line-up consists of 12 forwards and 6 defensemen. Yep, I know nothing about the sport. :rolleyes:

I suggest you dislodge the pole jammed in your behind and lighten up a bit.

well, homer was already demoted tonight as most of his first line minutes went to franzen. filppula was also up there late in the third for a bit. maybe babcock has finally realized that it makes little sense to have homer up there with bert. imagine bert dats and z! if bert gets back up to speed(he's already playing well, but has little chemistry yet) and zetterberg gets back and healthy, no pun intended :huh: , damn that could be an exciting line!!!!! :thumbup:

dats and bert are showing incredible chemistry, i think we should let that flourish...plus homer and bert on the same line is dumb, as stated before multiple times

dats and bert are showing incredible chemistry, i think we should let that flourish...plus homer and bert on the same line is dumb, as stated before multiple times

i still think bert needs some more time before he develops chemistry with dats. they're still figuring each other out and can't yet accurately anticipate each other's moves. he'll get there, though.

Leave that line alone. Bert, sorry, but second line it is for you.

the line was producing marvelously, but 2/3 players have been out with injuries and who says itll click like it did before, we all know homer is having a slump after his injury, im just saying bert and dats, while missing some passes etc... have the right idea and the chemistry is growing

Leave that line alone. Bert, sorry, but second line it is for you.

i think that'll depend on how hudler lang and calder finish out the year. they're still creating chances out there even though they haven't been scoring lately. if they enter the playoffs on a bit of a roll babs will be hard-pressed to keep them together and consequently homer might be the odd man out (i really can't see babcock shoving bert down the the third line)

and i think few would argue that a healthy bertuzzi>homer. but whether or not he'll develop and lasting or significant chemistry with dats remains to be seen.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

The holmstrom Zetterberg Datsyuk line was the most productive line in the NHL prior to Zetterberg's injury, and we need some more depth on our second and third lines. We all know that our opponent's top defensive players are going head to head against our first line, which leaves vulnerabilities in the following defensive matchups. If Bertuzzi replaced Homer, and Thomas when to the second line, his production will greatly decrease. But if Bertuzzi is on a line with whoever, he is capable of creating something out of nothing, and its those types of players we need on the second and third lines, especially against the opponent's weaker D. I promise you our greatest chance at winning this year will rest in our second and third lines.

We need someone out there to protect our stars.

Bertuzzi doesn't need to be on the first line, to make an impact [as many have assured the rest of us he indeed will here].

If he's the be all and end all some are guaranteeing, he can do just as much for this team on another line.

In no way, shape or form does he take over Homer's spot on the 1st line. That's ridiculous. :huh:

Hot hand.

Chemistry.

What got us here. Seems pretty simple.

Now if that line isn't scoring then, like any other line, you look at changes.

If we've got a healty lineup you keep Holmstrom on the top line. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the line struggles you've still got the flexibility to put Bertuzzi there.

I think Bertuzzi is a good fit on the 2nd line with Lang and Calder. There are some potential speed issues there, of course, which could mean plugging in Cleary here and there (while bumping Calder back a line.)

I'd love to see the top like be Z, Dats, & Bert

Then again, I want our second line to be Calder, Lang, Huddles

Dats is working well with Bert. I'm not taking away from Holmer, but Bert > Holmstrom. Holmstrom has definitely flourished playing with our top 2 players, but that doesn't mean he should stay at top line. He has 0 points and is -1 throughout March. I think Bertuzzi addition to the line would take it to the next level. Though, if it doesn't work, go back to Holmstrom...no harm done.

When we didn't have Z....Calder, Huds and Lang filled the scoring shoes. Hudler has scored some very timely goals, when it looks like no one else will, Calder has been a beast...just working his butt off, and Lang, though no one ever wants to admit it, has done his part too...and usually performs in the playoffs.

There's my argument for lines 1 & 2 for what it's worth. Of course, huddles will have to be able to play...so it's all up in the air.

edit: Edited because I realized Holmer did get an assist tonight.

Edited by Offsides

Since Bert became a Wing I envisioned him to be on a line with Hank and Pavs. I think they'd be excellent together..then again the chemistry with Homer there is really good. Same goes for the Calder/Lang/Huds line. I want them to stick together but if Bert plays with Hank and Dats, no way Homer gets bumped to the third line with Langer, Huds and Calder ahead of him on the second line. Also not knowing who that last spot goes to really makes it difficult as well to predict..So basically..i'm confused. Whatever works I guess. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Guest Crymson

Only an insane, incompetent coach would break up a line which was so productive as to be best in the NHL. This is what everything comes down to.

Edited by Crymson