• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kozac

stupid fans

Rate this topic

This love you guys have for Shanahan is bulls***. Do you really think he'd leave the Wings to help them? What a f*cking load of crap! He wanted to leave, God knows why I don't know, but he still did. Like Eva said, If we're all going to boo Fedorov, shouldn't Shanahan be booed too?

I plead insanity to know what the difference is between Shanahan and Fedorov. Shanahan, for all we know, could have been blatenly lying to the media with all this crap of thinking he was part of the past. In reality, he probably wanted to leave all along, but to avoid having his head carved like a turkey he lied. Fedorov didn't lie, at least I don't think he did. But I really do think Shanahan lied. If that is the case, which I certianly think it is, doesn't that make him even worse then Fedorov?

Not booing Shanahan but booing Fedorov is totally lame. Sometimes I almost think it comes down to a "Canadian vs. European" kind of thing. If it is, and you all like Shanahan better because he's a Canadian, then I better damn well not see another topic complaing about what a racist bastard Don Cherry is, because you are all just as bad. Sometimes I really think this is what it comes down to, and it's a damn shame if it really is the reason.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I don't quite agree. Shanahan left for good reasons. I understand his desire for a change, and who knows, maybe he didnt like Babcock.

Federov on the other hand spent the majority of a season holding out on a contract, and was consistently causing drama. Remember that whole defense/forward thing when his dad got all pissed at Bowman? That was just weird.

Federov was drafted by the Wings, brought up by the Wings and won 3 cups with them, then turned around and peaced it on us. Thats why the fans boo him.

Shanahan played only a portion of his career here, and was a legit. superstar before he even came. While I am sure he appreciated his time here and much as we loved having him, i just don't think the fans feel personally betrayed by him.

---for the record, i didn't mind Federov's departure, his time was up.

Fedorov held out the majority of a season for a contract, this is true. And factoring in the total maximum value of the deal and averaging that over the length, you do realize Fedorov signed for LESS THAN MARKET VALUE, even after holding out for ~60 games?

Fedorov gets booed because some Wings fans take it as an insult that he didn't stay and win more Cups with the Wings. Other players from Cup winning Wings teams who left as FA (Shanahan, Lapointe, Dandenault, Hull, Robitaille) don't get booed for one simple reason--Fedorov was more valuable to the Wings than all of them put together.

It makes no sense to me that people can justify booing Federov and not Shannahan. Just for the record if you buy a ticket you have a right to boo whoever you desire but I just don't get the inconsistency. Both men "chose" to leave Detroit, period. Sergei Fedorov was the #2 most important player in all 3 cup wins behind Stevie. I also agree there is definitely some anti-european pro canadian (read north american) thing going on here underneath the surface. If you boo Sergei, you owe it to yourself to boo Shanny.

Not booing Shanahan but booing Fedorov is totally lame. Sometimes I almost think it comes down to a "Canadian vs. European" kind of thing. If it is, and you all like Shanahan better because he's a Canadian, then I better damn well not see another topic complaing about what a racist bastard Don Cherry is, because you are all just as bad. Sometimes I really think this is what it comes down to, and it's a damn shame if it really is the reason.

That's a little bit of a strong opinion and I don't see it as any logical reason, but if there's some truth to that, I share your disappointment.

With that being said though, this is something people seriously need to let go trying to figure out why it is justified or wrong. Jagr is going to get booed. Pronger got booed a good bit in Vancouver when he had the puck for long periods of time. Fedorov the same as well in Detroit.

It happens, and it doesn't happen to just Fedorov. It is not going away. Everybody, get over it.

Owen Nolan was our captain for YEARS, and one of the fan favorites to this day. He made a huge return to the Tank in a Leafs jersey (I think it took one or two seasons before we finally played them) and received a standing ovation, as well as all the signs and welcome back type things.

I was sitting by the Leaf player tunnel, and when he left the ice at the end of the 1st, there was some hold up in the tunnel and the players were standing a few feet from our seats. Everyone was yelling "we love you!" and cheering, so as loud as I could I yelled "Nolan, you suck!". He kind of cocked his head funny and looked back. Classic.

A few fans/puck bunnies around me asked "how could you say that?!". Of course I loved the guy, and replied "because we're winning this game and his head is getting way too big!"

very true.

I know this has been posted before, but it never gets old to me. :D

:lol: That's awesome.

Booing opposing players is a natural occurance. Pronger is boo'd in SJ every time he touches the puck, and it's almost become a bit of a joke between him and the fans. He loves it. When he was told by a Bay Area media guy that he'd been voted the most hated opposing player in any professional sport in the Bay Area, his face lit up.

Booing your own team is a bad idea. Whether you think it classless or not is of less importance than the fact that negative reinforcement is never as effective as positive reinforcement. You'll never hear fans at the Saddledome booing the Flames - they just start up the "Go Flames Go" louder and louder if their team is struggling. I wouldn't give that fact exclusive credit as to why the Flames had just an above average team but owned the best home record in hockey this season, but I think there's a correlation.