• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drw13

Holmstrom Hit from Behind

Rate this topic

ok 1st off i would liek to apologize to any wings fan that was offended by any of my post last night. i was not at all focused and was very distracted by alot of things going on. mostly just quick stupid replies to topics and your guy's replies.

all is forgiven. : )

The NHL is in a tough predictament here. do you suspend a top defensemen in the league in the western conference finals and give the wings the upper hand or let it slide and basically stat that unless you hurt the player then you wont be suspended?

frankly i think he should get 1-2 games and 100k fine and a public apology to the red wings organzation and holmstrom.

i think that would be acceptable.

all is forgiven. : )

i think that would be acceptable.

100 K FINE is ridiculous and so would anything over one game. I've seen worse hits go un-punished. While i agree it was a bad hit and ultimately injured Tomas,the result of such a call by the league office would have guys walking on egg shells. Just give him his game off.

What a weird hit. Double whammy.

I thought the punishment for Rob was too much, they got the wrong guy. At most Rob should have gotten was a minor penalty for boarding. If Pronger wasn't involved on the hit, thats all he would have gotten, or possibly not even a penalty. Obviously Pronger was the bad guy here. That elbow was blatant and a possible intent to injure. He definitely lost his composure and went head hunting. Not surprising that head was Holmstrom's either. Had two goals at that point in the game, and Thomas is the guy Pronger is always trying to move out of the way in front of the net. A lot of frustration pent up toward Holmstrom there.

The reason that I think the hit was worse from Robs involvement was because they basically sandwiched Holmstrom and he had no were to go but into the glass. But still I think that Pronger is 90% at fault here. Even if Rob wasn't there Thomas still would have suffered some serious damage.

I also think that the fact Holmstrom was able to come back into the game, lessened the chance that Pronger will get a suspension. Sounds cold, but the league bases a lot their decisions on injuries from the players. With a doubt though, it is better for you guys to have Holmstrom healthy and playing against Pronger, then Holmstrom injured and Pronger suspended.

Suspension for Rob? Not a chance.

Suspension for Pronger? I think he deserves a one game suspension, but I leaning toward him not getting anything. And I think that because, Thomas is fine, Pronger is one of their best players and it's the WCF.

The league has no choice but to suspend Chris Pronger for that hit. I don't care if it's only 1 or 2 games. They have to send a clear message to the players and to the fans. It is not acceptable to deliberately attempt to injure a player. Not when the game is on the line, not when the game is decided. Had this been Dan Cleary and Maltby on Teemu Selanne I'd hold the same opinion. It's simply not acceptable. I don't care how big a piece of the puzzle Pronger is, he must be suspended.

Edit: Daren Dreger at TSN makes a good point about Rob's involvement in this. He had a clear view of Pronger coming in to make the hard hit on Holmstrom. Wienermayer had the opportunity to let off, instead he chose to go ahead and board Holmstrom anyway. Cheap shot by both frustrated Ducks, both should be suspended for that hit.

Edited by N4C3R

Edit: Daren Dreger at TSN makes a good point about Rob's involvement in this. He had a clear view of Pronger coming in to make the hard hit on Holmstrom. Wienermayer had the opportunity to let off, instead he chose to go ahead and board Holmstrom anyway. Cheap shot by both frustrated Ducks, both should be suspended for that hit.

well the fact that pronger was behind tomas holmstrom when rob made the choice to go in for the hit makes me think the he was thinking that pronger was settin holmstrom up for the hit. pronger was basically forcing tomas into the line of fire so to speak for rob to hit him which isnt illegal to do and happens every game. any harsh words or actions towards rob is uncalled for and unjustified

secondly the hit was a lil over the top because pronger hit high and followed through with his elbow and glove. if he hadnt i think it would have been a clean hit. does he deserve to be suspended? yes for one game and a huge fine. i dont think he should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs and some of next season because thats just a ridiculous amount for one hit. Holmstrom is fine. nothing really came of it as of now and i believe that holmstrom coming back in the 3rd sealed prongers fait that he wont be suspended for that long if he is. The NHL is in a tough predictament here. do you suspend a top defensemen in the league in the western conference finals and give the wings the upper hand or let it slide and basically stat that unless you hurt the player then you wont be suspended?

frankly i think he should get 1-2 games and 100k fine and a public apology to the red wings organzation and holmstrom.

That hit was from behind, I've never seen a hit from behind and thought, "Yeah, that was clean." It's a drity hit, regardless of position of hands and elbows. He knows better.

It's sad that you are, for thr most part right in your assesment of Homer coming back. Simply because he isn't seriously injured doesn't change the fact that he could have been killed. And no, that isn't an exageration. The way Homer was, Pronger could have killed him with that hit. It was a blantent attempt to injure, and he should sit for it.

This shouldn't have any effect on the decision by the NHL brass. Pronger knew what he was doing. Would it hurt the Ducks to not have him? Hell yes. But why should that at all have any effect on what he did? Do you think it hurt Homer less because it was Pronger pushing him into the boards? No. It shouldn't matter who it is, the suspension should be multiple games. It's much worse than any hit I've seen in these playoffs, and whatshisface from Nashville got a game. Pronger should get 2 MINIMUM. A fine is irrelevant, 100k to him is a drop in the bucket.

That hit was from behind, I've never seen a hit from behind and thought, "Yeah, that was clean." It's a drity hit, regardless of position of hands and elbows. He knows better.

It's sad that you are, for thr most part right in your assesment of Homer coming back. Simply because he isn't seriously injured doesn't change the fact that he could have been killed. And no, that isn't an exageration. The way Homer was, Pronger could have killed him with that hit. It was a blantent attempt to injure, and he should sit for it.

This shouldn't have any effect on the decision by the NHL brass. Pronger knew what he was doing. Would it hurt the Ducks to not have him? Hell yes. But why should that at all have any effect on what he did? Do you think it hurt Homer less because it was Pronger pushing him into the boards? No. It shouldn't matter who it is, the suspension should be multiple games. It's much worse than any hit I've seen in these playoffs, and whatshisface from Nashville got a game. Pronger should get 2 MINIMUM. A fine is irrelevant, 100k to him is a drop in the bucket.

i am startign to think that maybe hockeys not the sport for you. try a less rough game

i hear the galaxy got david beckam maybe you can go watch some EXCITING mls soccer

i am startign to think that maybe hockeys not the sport for you.

Why is that? Because I expect players to have respect for each other? There is never a legit reason to hit someone from behind. You make yourself sound like a typical Cali Duck fan who knows nothing about hockey with posts like that.

i am startign to think that maybe hockeys not the sport for you. try a less rough game

i hear the galaxy got david beckam maybe you can go watch some EXCITING mls soccer

If you're going to name a less physical sport soccer would not really work. Soccer is extremely physical! I broke a girl's leg once :blush::ph34r: and we play without pads! ;) Sorry, i just have to defend my sport! lol

Try....golf maybe?? ;)

The league has no choice but to suspend Chris Pronger for that hit. I don't care if it's only 1 or 2 games. They have to send a clear message to the players and to the fans.

I'm glad there's a hearing, but I don't think it will amount to anything more than a fine because the message they'll want to send to the fan is that their designated "great" players are important to the game. They'll say something about not wanting to deprive fans of the best hockey they can provide in the playoffs, and will reassure people that Pronger didn't mean to do it and he's real sorry. Heck - it's that kind of passion that he's bringing that makes it so important for him to be on the ice, not in the press box.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen Pronger's golden boy status save his hide way too often. I don't get it. It's a common hockey theme to refer to a juvenile tantrum as passion. That idea is also part of what keeps fighting in the sport (as in, "if you take fighting out of hockey you're going to get rid of the passion," and "look at those two big guys throwing off their gloves and getting passionate with each other"), and that's a debate that the commish won't want to get involved in. Because they are convinced that a certain percentage of their fan base is there to see people get hurt. And they're right.

So the word "passion" is used as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

[i think there's a larger percentage who'd like the sport if it was physical but not violent, but what ever - I'm not in the business of marketing hockey or predicting the tastes of north americans, and that's another discussion all together anyway.]

Edited by uncle ovipositor

I personally believe that fines in any professional sport where the participants make millions is ridiculous and pointless. It is like one of us mortals having to pay a $5 parking ticket. It has no deterrent value what-so-ever. As far as a suspension goes, I believe one is due in this case for Pronger. Will it happen? Who knows. However, I do believe this incident will cost him. It is stunts like this (and arguably stunts like those that will occur on Thursday if there is no suspension) that will ensure that Nicklas Lidstrom (as if this weren't already a foregone conclusion) will be the name on the Norris Trophy for 2007.

As our beloved Mickey Redmond likes to say, "Sometimes, you have to give up the hit." Neidermayer saw Pronger coming and could have given it up. The 5 minute major was justified in his case, as was the game misconduct. I do not believe a suspension in his case is justified, however.

That's just my $.02.

Why is that? Because I expect players to have respect for each other? There is never a legit reason to hit someone from behind. You make yourself sound like a typical Cali Duck fan who knows nothing about hockey with posts like that.

so i dont know hockey because i am defending rob niedermeyer because he nothing to do with the hit and you wings fans (not all) are trying make him look bad when had little part in the play. if you have ever played hockey you know that it is so easy to make a quick mistake and make the wrong choice. i mean i hate to bring this up but you guys have a player on your team that made one of the biggest misjudements in nhl history so of all people to understand this i would think it would be wings fans. i think it is unfair to say that pronger was hitting holmstrom with intention of seriously hurting him and ending his career. NONE of you know what goes on in his head and it is unfair to pronger to say that he was intentionally trying to hurt holmstrom. so talk about respect? try respecting a player and finding out what truely going on in his mind before you make a quick judgement about someone

Last night I was out and skipped the game, but spotting a youtube vid of it is just disgusting. It's over here, if it hasn't been posted in the 10 pages before this: Pronger + usual douchebaggery yay!

I've heard Ducks fans mention his antics while he was in Edmonton and I remember pretty well that run he made on Yzerman, which - full-on with justice - wound up wrecking his own knee for that playoff run. The guy deserves five games... if the league actually grows some balls and decides these guys can handle the consequences of their actions, then hell, I'd even accept one.

A measley one game suspension for an elbow with no regard to another player's well-being. We only need to win that to set up winning the series.

You Ducks fans hafta understand - this isn't the first time Pronger has tried to run our Wings and hurt them. Back in '02 when Yzerman was playing on one knee, Pronger spent two or three games zeroing in on that. It was like he was getting free candy every time he hit Stevie, and twice that if he went low. Blues fans get all worked up because it was Pronger who ended up out of the series with a knee injury, because he decided to come flying recklessly at Stevie for the 539th time in the series in a play that had nothing to do with the puck, Stevie ducked the hit and Pronger's knee went POP. A fitting end to his season. Now Pronger's at it again. In the past I've compared Pronger's style to a train wreck.....only, when he's playing the Wings, it's like he's purposely jumping the tracks to aim at the cars.

so i guess this means the nhl should ban hitting

yay! itll be as exciting as a WNBA game

They are merely trying to point out Rob had a clear view of what was happening and could have held up. Thats the respect thing they're implying and i see where he could have held up. I don't see how it would have changed the end result,cause pronger clearly was gonna finish what he was doing regardless. I watched every playoff game last year and i don't recall pronger running guys at all. He finished his checks.

They aren't saying they should ban hitting. There were a few big hits that were well within the rules of the game. Pronger's was in no way within the rules of the game. He pretty much punched Holmstrom's head into the board. There is no way that they are saying hits should be taken out of them game.

You would be just as pissed if they did the same thing to Teemu or Andy Mac. There is definitely a line and Pronger crossed it.

You Ducks fans hafta understand - this isn't the first time Pronger has tried to run our Wings and hurt them. Back in '02 when Yzerman was playing on one knee, Pronger spent two or three games zeroing in on that. It was like he was getting free candy every time he hit Stevie, and twice that if he went low. Blues fans get all worked up because it was Pronger who ended up out of the series with a knee injury, because he decided to come flying recklessly at Stevie for the 539th time in the series in a play that had nothing to do with the puck, Stevie ducked the hit and Pronger's knee went POP. A fitting end to his season. Now Pronger's at it again. In the past I've compared Pronger's style to a train wreck.....only, when he's playing the Wings, it's like he's purposely jumping the tracks to aim at the cars.

I remember that series well. You have to remember players zero in on guys also when they know they're hurting that is also part of the game. Not condoning what pronger did,but thats also part of the game.

Oh, please. I love nothing more than a good, hard check -- but there's a difference between belting the guy because he had his head down or was admiring his pass compared to having his back turned to you and deciding that you need to use your forearm/elbow to mash his head into the glass.

Scott Stevens rocked Slava Kozlov to Jupiter and back in 1995 and I didn't have one single thing to say about it other than "!@#! Slava! Keep your @!#%@# head up!" -- it was a beautiful, hard check.

Pronger intended nothing other than the hurt Holmstrom. He's lying if he says otherwise. You don't hit people like that unless you're hoping to inflict something.

I remember that series well. You have to remember players zero in on guys also when they know they're hurting that is also part of the game. Not condoning what pronger did,but thats also part of the game.

There's a difference between paying attention to guys' injuries and then all-out trying to end their season. It's legit to keep on a guy if he's hurt, but the other thing crosses a very stark line.

They aren't saying they should ban hitting. There were a few big hits that were well within the rules of the game. Pronger's was in no way within the rules of the game. He pretty much punched Holmstrom's head into the board. There is no way that they are saying hits should be taken out of them game.

You would be just as pissed if they did the same thing to Teemu or Andy Mac. There is definitely a line and Pronger crossed it.

Quoted for significance.