• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

Holland talks about playoffs

Rate this topic

MLIVE.com, Ansar Khan.

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland expressed mixed emotions Thursday, two days after his team's playoff run ended with a loss to Anaheim in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals.

He lamented a lost opportunity but was proud of the team for overcoming many obstacles to advance to the NHL's final four. And he's optimistic about the future.

"We got a lot to be excited about going forward,'' Holland said. "A lot of the team is under contract and half the team is under 30.''

Holland will soon begin shaping next season's roster, which, to a large extent, is already in place. The Wings have 17 players signed for 2007-08 -- 16 from their current roster, plus prospect Igor Grigorenko -- for slightly more than $33 million. The salary cap is expected to increase from $44 million to between $48-and-$50 million.

Holland estimated he'll have between $10 million and $13 million to spend on a goaltender, three defensemen and two forwards, some of whom will be the club's own unrestricted free agents. He'll leave some room (about $2 million) to make a move or two at next season's trade deadline.

"We got some space to do a move or two of significance,'' he said.

But first, the Wings must decide what to do with their own free agents. Holland doesn't anticipate any moves until after the organization's three-day staff meeting June 11-13.

NHL free agency begins on July 1, but clubs can re-sign their own players before then. Holland has already stated his desire to bring back goaltender Dominik Hasek, who said he'll take a few weeks to decide whether to return or retire, and Chris Chelios, who might be signed before that staff meeting.

At forward, the Wings will re-sign Jiri Hudler, a restricted free agent, and must make a decision on Todd Bertuzzi. They are not likely to bring back Robert Lang and Kyle Calder. They'll have six defensemen signed, including Chelios and Kyle Quincey. They'd like to re-sign unrestricted free agents Mathieu Schneider and Danny Markov but might be able to afford only one.

"Some (players) we'll make offers to, some we won't -- that'll be decided by the middle of June,'' Holland said. "To make good decisions, you have to take the emotion out. That takes a couple of weeks.''

Holland said Calder hurt his finger in the first round of the playoffs against Calgary, but it wasn't broken and that wasn't why his performance declined.

"He played real well early and as we got into the playoffs his role was reduced and he probably started to press and it went from bad to worse,'' Holland said. "He didn't have quite the impact we hoped.''

Bertuzzi hurt his tailbone in Game 5 vs. Anaheim -- Holland said he doesn't know if it's broken -- and he'll have an MRI. Defenseman Brett Lebda, who sprained his ankle in Game 6 vs. Calgary, hurt his shoulder during his first shift in his first game back, Game 4 vs. San Jose, but played through it. The inflamed disc in Henrik Zetterberg's back never completely healed but Holland said he won't need surgery, just time off.

Holland will look back on this season with satisfaction and frustration.

"On one hand, I'm very disappointed. When you get to the final four and you're up 2-1 in the series, you'd like to find a way to finish the deal,'' Holland said. "On the other hand, I'm tremendously proud of our players. To get to the final four, we had a lot of people step up big-time. I'm proud of the heart, determination and the will.''

The contracts of assistant coaches Todd McClellan and Paul MacLean have expired. Holland said he'd like to re-sign both.

Great article, thanks!

Holland said Calder hurt his finger in the first round of the playoffs against Calgary, but it wasn't broken and that wasn't why his performance declined.

"He played real well early and as we got into the playoffs his role was reduced and he probably started to press and it went from bad to worse,'' Holland said. "He didn't have quite the impact we hoped.''

Interesting about Calder, sounds like he won't be back.

And dang, I knew we were banged up, but now it's official.

well, i'll go in order:

1. Good to hear that Grigorenko will be up next year!

2. If they have to choose between Schneider and Markov, I hope they choose Schneider.

3. So, Calders finger WAS hurt!

4. Good news that Zetterberg *probably* won't have to have surgury this summer!

KYLE NOOO.. :crybaby:

Omg. I am never, ever, ever getting attached to another Red Wings player again. Ever.

Wow..our boys were really hurt. Yikes.

...come on, we both know thats not true...

:lol:

Edited by Elshupacabra

I just don't understand why Calder would drop off like that.... something about it just doesn't make sense to me.

That's exactly what im thinking. It makes absolutely no sense. No way he goes from playing fantastic to all of a sudden barely getting ice time and not doing a thing. Something's off.

during the time in the regular season, Calder seemed like a perfect fit. He went into the corners and got the puck to the front of the net. In the playoffs, he was virtually invisible. That just doesn't happen without something going on. Be it health reasons or he just couldn't handle the pressure of playoff hockey, something happened.

I know I will get some heat for this, but Lang absolutely has to go. He scored a few key goals in the playoffs, but that is it. He provided no spark, no physical presence. He has a big body which he could have used to knock people off the puck or fend of defenders, but he didn't utilize his gifts.

We need to get someone who will sit in the slot on the PP and is able to send some one timers into the net. That was screaming at me the entire season. For the last decade, we have had some one who fills that role in Shanny, and Hull. They are both gone and boy was it evident.

As for the goalie situation, if dom wants to stay, I would have no reservations in putting my full faith in him. if he decides to go, we need to find a guy who will fill that role. Ozzy is a quality netminder, but I do not think he is THE guy for this team.

As for Schneider and Markov, it would be great to have them both back. If we need to choose, Matty would need to stay. He is too valuable on the point with his shot, and markov really is not an offensive threat. we need one offensive d-man who can play with nick or lilly. Lilly has proven that he is dependable and will be able to compensate for an offensive minded defenseman as his partner.

That's exactly what im thinking. It makes absolutely no sense. No way he goes from playing fantastic to all of a sudden barely getting ice time and not doing a thing. Something's off.

Disagreement with the coaching staff? You be the judge.

That sucks about Calder. If the Wings don't bring him back, then they better sign a player that plays just like him. I don't want to see some no name European out of the 3rd tier Swedish league come in instead. I'm not anti-Euro, but God damn it, this team needs more grit, and that comes mainly from North Americans. We have enough flashy players who can score, now we need more Dan Cleary type players.

It seems like babs didn't like Calder to much... I mean didn't Babs ultimately control Kyle's destiny here. Huddles does MORE with his lower mins and Calder does LESS with his lowered mins. Yet Babs continuely played Calder in those lower minute roles... It looks to me like babs was setting him up to fail. At the very least, he really wasn't doing anything to help calder look better. Pretty harsh word by holland about Calder.....

The one thing I :) about : "At forward, the Wings will re-sign Jiri Hudler" HUDDLES!

KYLE NOOO.. :crybaby:

Omg. I am never, ever, ever getting attached to another Red Wings player again. Ever.

Wow..our boys were really hurt. Yikes.

Awww poor Reem. That happens to every player you love (except Lilja). STAY AWAY FROM Z! :lol:

Great article, thanks!

Interesting about Calder, sounds like he won't be back.

And dang, I knew we were banged up, but now it's official.

I'm surprised about Calder too. I really liked this guy. It's amazing how quickly he slipped off the radar. I was convinced he had a broken hand or something major. How do you go from playing like a playoff hero to zero so quickly.

If the Wings let him, Lang, Bertuzzi and possibly either Schneider or Markov go I'd love them to go after Ryan Smyth.

Guest ZDH

It seems like babs didn't like Calder to much... I mean didn't Babs ultimately control Kyle's destiny here. Huddles does MORE with his lower mins and Calder does LESS with his lowered mins. Yet Babs continuely played Calder in those lower minute roles... It looks to me like babs was setting him up to fail. At the very least, he really wasn't doing anything to help calder look better. Pretty harsh word by holland about Calder.....

The one thing I :) about : "At forward, the Wings will re-sign Jiri Hudler" HUDDLES!

You know I'm not sure what Babcock's deal with Hudler is. It seems he doesn't like him for some reason. I mean he used to have a reputation as being lazy. But clearly he is not that anymore. And he scores goals and creates offence with limited ice time. I enjoyed watching him play on a line with Filppula this season. Those 2 had some good chemistry.

So Babs loves Flip and hates Huds. I don't understand it. I know Jiri is small. But it aint the size of the army its the fury of the attack, right? LOL

Anyway I was surprised by Calder. When he first came he looked like a house of fire out there. Mixing it up and being nasty to play against and opening up space for the skill guys like Z and D.

But the right before the playoffs he seemed to lose his effectiveness. I thought he was hurt as well but from what Holland has said, he really wasn't. So I'd be shocked if he were back. We need to give 2nd line minutes to Flip next season. He is going to be a force!

If Flip can emerge as a legit 2nd line centre and Kronwall can FINALLY step it up then this team is going to be unstoppable!

Just get Hartnell and O'Neill and we are set.

I want nothing to do with O'Neill. I really like him, but it's obvious he hasn't come close to getting over his brothers death. He should retire and enjoy his time off.

Guest ZDH

I want nothing to do with O'Neill. I really like him, but it's obvious he hasn't come close to getting over his brothers death. He should retire and enjoy his time off.

Believe me folks, we don't want O'Neill on the team. I see alot of Leafs games and he was a healthy scratch down the stretch for a reason. He is very lazy. He would drive Babcock nuts as much as Lang did!

Get Hartnell. He's our man. Plus #17 is available on the Wings now. LOL

Believe me folks, we don't want O'Neill on the team. I see alot of Leafs games and he was a healthy scratch down the stretch for a reason. He is very lazy. He would drive Babcock nuts as much as Lang did!

Get Hartnell. He's our man. Plus #17 is available on the Wings now. LOL

All good points. I had totally forgotten about Hartnell. I'd rather have him than Smyth.

MLIVE.com, Ansar Khan.

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland expressed mixed emotions Thursday, two days after his team's playoff run ended with a loss to Anaheim in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals.

He lamented a lost opportunity but was proud of the team for overcoming many obstacles to advance to the NHL's final four. And he's optimistic about the future.

"We got a lot to be excited about going forward,'' Holland said. "A lot of the team is under contract and half the team is under 30.''

Holland will soon begin shaping next season's roster, which, to a large extent, is already in place. The Wings have 17 players signed for 2007-08 -- 16 from their current roster, plus prospect Igor Grigorenko -- for slightly more than $33 million. The salary cap is expected to increase from $44 million to between $48-and-$50 million.

Holland estimated he'll have between $10 million and $13 million to spend on a goaltender, three defensemen and two forwards, some of whom will be the club's own unrestricted free agents. He'll leave some room (about $2 million) to make a move or two at next season's trade deadline.

"We got some space to do a move or two of significance,'' he said.

I like hearing that. Obviously, it all hinges on how much Detroit is willing to spend, but I think they might be able to clear up some space with a trade. Im not so sure that Hudler isnt going to be traded. Babcocks not a fan of Hudler, and Im sure Hudler isnt a fan of being benched after performing so well when he got some decent minutes. Not to mention, Lang wont be returning and Hudler lives in his house. He might wanna move to a team with more Czechs. On top of that, I wouldnt be surprised to see Lilja traded if Detroit wants to make a serious commitment to retaining Schneider AND Markov or a similar physical defenseman like Cory Sarich. There a few teams out there that are looking for cheap defensive depth and Lilja earned himself some value at years end with his ability to play big minutes effectively and only costing 1M. Personally, I cant see Detroit re-signing Markov AND Schneider AND keeping the other 6 Dmen we have. Quincey is ready, and with 8 potential regulars, somebody isnt going to be happy. And Meech/Kindl/Ericsson are reliable call-ups if needed.

Im not so sure that Hudler isnt going to be traded. Babcocks not a fan of Hudler, and Im sure Hudler isnt a fan of being benched after performing so well when he got some decent minutes. Not to mention, Lang wont be returning and Hudler lives in his house. He might wanna move to a team with more Czechs.

Huds lives in Langer's house? I never knew that Rex was close to being Bobbert's real son! :P

I can't begin to wade into what Babs might think of Hudler... but I know it'd be a stupid decision to get rid of him. The kid seriously has potential, whatever his size. I don't anticipate any moves with him though, actually.

Plus... except for a team that's paid attention to him, there wouldn't be any offers for "little" Jiri.

Bertuzzi hurt his tailbone in Game 5 vs. Anaheim -- Holland said he doesn't know if it's broken -- and he'll have an MRI. Defenseman Brett Lebda, who sprained his ankle in Game 6 vs. Calgary, hurt his shoulder during his first shift in his first game back, Game 4 vs. San Jose, but played through it. The inflamed disc in Henrik Zetterberg's back never completely healed but Holland said he won't need surgery, just time off.

Bert looked positively useless out there in game 6, as far as his skating went. I have no idea if that damaged tailbone actually factors into that or not.

With Calder that's straight-up surprising. And it blows--maybe we all made a larger case for him than he actually had in the early round though. I can't say, as I haven't watched him much through the playoffs.

Guest jaytan

I know I will get some heat for this, but Lang absolutely has to go.

:blink:

Why would anyone give you any heat for that? Anyone with a functioning brain could tell you that Lang is one of the worst players on the team. I can't stand the lazy bum.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

While I hate to imagine the wings doing such a dumb move I really think that Hudler may be a ranger by next years trade deadline in a salary dumping move to aquire a big name. Heavy CZech pressance and maybe we could get a draft pick.

Markov or Schneider? Easy - #23. Although I will admit Danny did make an impression on me, after coming here with alot of baggage from previous teams. But if it's one or the other, you gotta go with Schneider.

As for Bertuzzi, yeh injured again. My God if Holland doesn't get it now ... he is NOT the player he was, never will be, and is not worth taking such a gamble. Plus he didn't like his role here, which will only add to his frustration once he realizes he is not gonna ever get that "power-forward" game back.

Holland's comment on signing a couple of higher-tier guys is nice, we have heard that before .. but anyways, i'll wait until I see who exactly he's looking at before any judgement there. I must tow the LGW/Red Wing fan line as well :lol: and say he better be looking at some guys stronger on the forecheck ala Danny Cleary. As much as i'm intrigued with Grigs coming over etc, I don't want Holland putting all his faith in another rookie or two. We need a couple more crash and bang types/vets brought in.

As for Bertuzzi, yeh injured again. My God if Holland doesn't get it now ... he is NOT the player he was, never will be, and is not worth taking such a gamble. Plus he didn't like his role here, which will only add to his frustration once he realizes he is not gonna ever get that "power-forward" game back.

Bertuzzi sure seemed like he liked his role, it's just different here and may change again if he gets re-signed. We've not seen Bertuzzi healthy yet, I'd like to see him re-signed for 2 years if we can get him for around 3m each year.

The whole thing is, if we don't re-sign Bertuzzi, we won't get another power forward and the same people who cried for him not to get re-signed will crucify Holland for not signing one. It won't be his fault, 6'2 240 lb players with offensive abilities don't come around often.

I must tow the LGW/Red Wing fan line as well :lol: and say he better be looking at some guys stronger on the forecheck ala Danny Cleary. As much as i'm intrigued with Grigs coming over etc, I don't want Holland putting all his faith in another rookie or two. We need a couple more crash and bang types/vets brought in.

Kopecky?

Franzen?

Holmstrom?

Draper?

Maltby?

Cleary?

This team does not need line-up full of crash and bangers. The ******* grit issue has been fixed.

This team needs a 30+ GOAL SCORING WINGER. That's it. That's all.

Not to be rude or anything, but that is a horrible assumption of how the situation went. Babcock was in love with Calder when he first came here, and he couldn't deny the fact that Calder was playing great. Something happened to poor Calder though, but I guess we'll never know what it is. I don't think it was Babcock though, since Calder fits into the type of player that Babcock likes.

Hudler will probably be traded, and it's better he is. The Wings can address a more conerning need, like more toughness up front, and Hudler will never make it here as long as Babcock is coach. Sorry Hudler fans, but don't count on him staying.