• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

high_stick69

Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

How long is Maltby signed for? Just wondering. He was -9 the last few seasons with 11 pts in each after playing 82 games. Could someone else fill his role more effectively and bring some scoring with them? We are going to have to move a few players to make room for some of our prospects ie Gregorienko etc. Why not get rid of Lang and Maltby and make room for some of these younger guys who can easily be -9 with 5 goals and 6 assists over 82 games? Thoughts?

Malts isn't supposed to score goals. His job is to agitate and play the PK. Try looking beyond the stat sheet for a bit.

Are you saying you think Malts is in his prime? Three years ago he was a +24 and had only finished with a negative +/- once year since coming over from Edmonton. The last 2 years he's been -9 and the Wings haven't exactly been bad. Is that a result of being on the PK most of the time? Maybe, but probably not because he's been a penalty killer his whole career. Is Babcock's PK system to blame? Maybe. Is Malts getting up there in age and is his play tailing off regardless of what the stats say? Yes.

I was a little down on Malts this year, but I thought he played pretty well during the playoffs. If he can duplicate that over the next few years I won't be discouraged from the signing.

I agree. I was a little surprised at the signing, even though they got him cheap.

But this playoffs he showed he's still useful. Hopefully that will continue.

Are you saying you think Malts is in his prime? Three years ago he was a +24 and had only finished with a negative +/- once year since coming over from Edmonton. The last 2 years he's been -9 and the Wings haven't exactly been bad. Is that a result of being on the PK most of the time? Maybe, but probably not because he's been a penalty killer his whole career. Is Babcock's PK system to blame? Maybe. Is Malts getting up there in age and is his play tailing off regardless of what the stats say? Yes.

his being on the PK doesn't count against him in +/-. the only thing that counts for plus-minus on the PK is if someone scores a shorthanded goal, then he gets a +1.

Guest ZDH

The guy's got alot of experience & is still good @ getting under the skin of the opposition.....Couldn't Holland re-sign him for around $750,000? I mean the guy still only has several minutes of ice time each game; @ his age & what he brings I def feel he'll be overpaid for these next 3 years. In reality Kopecky could've been placed in Maltby's role...Oh well.

No Kopecky can't replace what Maltby brings. Maltby is an elite Pker. Why do so many Wings fans think he is replaceable? Thank God Holland is in charge!

I wouldn't (and didn't) say he's in his prime. I think you'll find that he's spent more time on the 4th line the past couple seasons, which is a change from the good ol' days when DraperMaltby was pretty much one word. We got him for a great deal. I think 3 years was probably too much, but I expect that was management's carrot to sell the low salary. Maltby's agitation works far better in the playoffs (kinda like it did this year, eh?) and I do believe he's still one of the better PK guys going. For only slightly more than we pay Hudler to ride the pine, that seems like a fair deal to me.

franzen actually makes more than maltby

06/07 Salary

Franzen - $775,000

Maltby - $1.368 million

07/08 Salary

Franzen - $900,000

Maltby - ???

Don't forget that Maltby could be on a continually reduced contract for the next 3 seasons. I.E. 07/08 - $1,000,000 ---08/09 - $800,000 --- 09/10 - $700,000

Sidenote: Not that I'm defending F.Michaels viewpoint of Maltby, because I'll be thrilled if to have Malts back for what is seemingly $833,000 of a cap hit per year for the next 3 seasons.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest ZDH

Because we have young guys like Kopecky, Franzen, & Cleary whom possess as much - if not more skill/size/energy & above all they're cheaper!

Why is it that some fans always want to replace the current players even if there is no need to? I mean come on man. Kopecky replace Maltby? Maltby can skate faster backwards than Kopecky can forwards at top speed. I mean I like Kopecky's size and he has a bit of snarl. I like that. He has a role on this team as either a 4th line winger or the 13th depth forward.

But to think he can replace Maltby on the PK? No way.

I'll give ya Cleary. He can skate faster than Malts and now has the work ethic now. He has better hands than Maltby thus I see him on a scoring line.

I don't understand Wings fans hate on Maltby. He is still an elite Pker and took a big pay cut to stay here. Obviously Holland thinks alot of him otherwise he would not have signed him for 3 more years.

Why can't we keep Maltby, Cleary, Franzen and Kopecky? All are useful players to the Wings. I don't like fans undervaluing a solid player like Maltby. You can't measure what he brings to a team with just numbers. Maltby is a winner and a leader and the Wings know that. He is a team player and WANTS to be here and even though he is not as good as he once was, is still one of the best PKers in the game. He and Draper skate miles for this team and he is one of the guys Babcock relies on late in games.

Replace him with Kopecky? Come on now! If I signed with the Wings for league minimum could I replace Maltby too? I mean I'm cheaper right!

Edited by ZDH

Why is it that some fans always want to replace the current players even if there is no need to? I mean come on man. Kopecky replace Maltby? Maltby can skate faster backwards than Kopecky can forwards at top speed. I mean I like Kopecky's size and he has a bit of snarl. I like that. He has a role on this team as either a 4th line winger or the 13th depth forward.

But to think he can replace Maltby on the PK? No way.

I'll give ya Cleary. He can skate faster than Malts and now has the work ethic now. He has better hands than Maltby thus I see him on a scoring line.

I don't understand Wings fans hate on Maltby. He is still an elite Pker and took a big pay cut to stay here. Obviously Holland thinks alot of him otherwise he would not have signed him for 3 more years.

Why can't we keep Maltby, Cleary, Franzen and Kopecky? All are useful players to the Wings. I don't like fans undervaluing a solid player like Maltby. You can't measure what he brings to a team with just numbers. Maltby is a winner and a leader and the Wings know that. He is a team player and WANTS to be here and even though he is not as good as he once was, is still one of the best PKers in the game. He and Draper skate miles for this team and he is one of the guys Babcock relies on late in games.

Replace him with Kopecky? Come on now! If I signed with the Wings for league minimum could I replace Maltby too? I mean I'm cheaper right!

The initial post on this thread was not about who is cheaper than Maltby. It was about the log jam of young prospects that are waiting for a roster spot, and who is the guy who will be replaced. Yes Malts is a great penalty killer, but I don't think anyone can argue with the fact his play has declined. Do we hold onto him for sentimental value and waste the small window of opportunity we have with a guy like Gregoreko? Or do we give some younger guys a chance to gain some much needed experience and make the team better in the long term? It's not about hating Maltby. If you took a poll of who likes or dislikes Malts, I think you'd find great support for him. Unfortunately liking guys like Maltby or Lang doesn't win us Stanley Cups.

No Kopecky can't replace what Maltby brings. Maltby is an elite Pker. Why do so many Wings fans think he is replaceable? Thank God Holland is in charge!

:clap:

Malts has always been one of my fave guys, he does a great job at what he is out there to do and gets under the oppositions skin, I am glad he is here for the next 3 years

Ask yourself one question:

"Do you want to play against Maltby?"

If the answer is no, then he belongs on our team.

Hit positive +/- in the past rarely came from him scoring the goals himself, but by the other players that were out there with him scoring (plus a few well placed shorties). Its not like his game has fallen off (much) but the players that are on the same line with him that have changed and had lower points in their own game.

This doesn't even count the fact that they are often sent out to shut down the top line on another team. I would say that being only -9 isn't all that bad when you are out there against one of the top 2 lines of a team almost every night.

Ask yourself one question:

"Do you want to play against Maltby?"

If the answer is no, then he belongs on our team.

Hit positive +/- in the past rarely came from him scoring the goals himself, but by the other players that were out there with him scoring (plus a few well placed shorties). Its not like his game has fallen off (much) but the players that are on the same line with him that have changed and had lower points in their own game.

This doesn't even count the fact that they are often sent out to shut down the top line on another team. I would say that being only -9 isn't all that bad when you are out there against one of the top 2 lines of a team almost every night.

:clap:

exactly. This topic has come to a close with that statement alone. Maltby is hockeytown, and one of the best Pk'ers in the league, Hes here fro the next 3 years atleast. So for those of us who are estatic that we got him for another 3 years at a cheap price HOORAY, for those of you who dont want him....get used to it, because hes not going anywhere. Dont worry though, when our PK is restored to its greatness of a few years ago, we will still allow you to cheer for Maltby...

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer

Guest ZDH

Maltby isn't taking ANYONE's ice time away. Maltby plays on the Red Wings' Shutdown 3rd line with Draper and Franzen (or Cleary). Grigorenko...we don't even know if he will be good enough to make the team yet. None of us have seen him play in a Wings uniform. He could be good, average or stink.

Filppula didn't even make the team in October last season but he earned his way onto the team with his solid play. You don't just get handed a spot on the Red Wings. You earn it just like Maltby has. Like Draper did. And you have to keep earning your spot to stay there.

Maltby is not holding anyone back. If Grigorenko, Hudler or Kopecky play well then they will have more ice time. Their solid play will make other players, like say Samuelsson, expendable. Although that might be tough because Babs loves Sammy.

Anyway the Wings are doing an excellent job of bringing along their young players and developing them. I don't see a log jam of forwards at all in our system. I see a log jam of dmen in guys like Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl and Meech.

But at forward, who do we have in Grand Rapids who can step in and be a solid NHLer? No one yet.

Edited by ZDH

Maltby isn't taking ANYONE's ice time away. Maltby plays on the Red Wings' Shutdown 3rd line with Draper and Franzen (or Cleary). Grigorenko...we don't even know if he will be good enough to make the team yet. None of us have seen him play in a Wings uniform. He could be good, average or stink.

Maltby is not holding anyone back. If Grigorenko, Hudler or Kopecky play well then they will have more ice time. Their solid play will make other players, like say Samuelsson, expendable. Although that might be tough because Babs loves Sammy.

Anyway the Wings are doing an excellent job of bringing along their young players and developing them. I don't see a log jam of forwards at all in our system. I see a log jam of dmen in guys like Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl and Meech.

But at forward, who do we have in Grand Rapids who can step in and be a solid NHLer? No one yet.

gotta agree, when these guys are ready to step up theyll be moved up, filp is an excellent example, i dont think its a very big jam at d either though, all the guys you mentioned could use at least another year

I've always been a Maltby supporter, but I have to admit I was expecting the team to cut him loose. Then, late in the season, I was surprised to read that they were interested in bringing him back at somewhere less than $1 million. Once the playoffs started, it came out that he had signed the extension with a cap number of $883,000 for 3 years. Obviously, the Wings traded salary for term. Somewhere around that same time, I also read that there was significant interest in Malts at the trade deadline (I think it was Atlanta and/or Tampa Bay). While the Wings weren't interested this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved somewhere down the road. Best case scenario, Maltby remains a productive member of the Red Wings for 3 more years and helps teach younger guys like Franzen and Kopecky how to drive the oppositon apesh@t. Even in a worst case (buy-out) scenario, they won't lose a huge amount on him. Overall, I give the deal :thumbup:

The questioning of Maltby being signed is puzzeling to me. The guy is EASILY a first unit PK'er on any team in this league. Put him and Drapes together, and you have to BEST forward PK unit in the league. Yeah, the guy doesn't score as much as he did. Yeah, his +/- isn't what is could be. But the guy contributes in placed where it really matters. Having Maltby on the roster is nothing but a positive. It isn't as if he is a washed up vet who just can't hack it anymore. This is a guy who knows his role, and does it very well. I remember watching a VS broadcast of a Wings game midway through the season. They showed an intersting stat. It was something like over the past 5 seasons, no one has drawn more penalities than Maltby.

He is huge for this team. He has all he intagibles that are necessary to be a great player in this league. He isn't a problem in any way, shape or form. The guy is a inergal piece of the Wings success. The guy is one of the VERY FEW guys left on the roster who is willing to drop down and block a shot. I'd be willing to bet if we had a few more guys that played like he does, we would have went further in the playoffs this year. Wether that is taking the CF to a game 7, or even winning the Cup, I truely believe it would have happened.

I couldn't agree more. His cap number is .883 for 3 years. Cheap. 3 years MIGHT be too long, but will give the younger guys mentioned someone to mentor them (i.e. Cheli mentoring Lebda/Lilja/Quincey and earlier Fischer) and learn from.