• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Report: Manny Fernandez traded to Boston

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

This is a big suprise to me. How is it that the Wild couldnt find anything better for Fernandez??? Hell it seams like we could have gave them more than that. I mean it is a great deal for the Bruins. In fact, now that they have a reliable netminder, they may see the post-season afterall. But as for Minnesota, they got the raw end of the deal. Thats for sure.

Apparently Fernandez was not coming back... I think Minnesota took what they could get. Besides, teams like Phoenix and LA probably have their sights set on better goalies. Either that or they are sticking with what they've got because they don't have the money.

Edited by Earthhuman

Guest Crymson

This is a big suprise to me. How is it that the Wild couldnt find anything better for Fernandez??? Hell it seams like we could have gave them more than that. I mean it is a great deal for the Bruins. In fact, now that they have a reliable netminder, they may see the post-season afterall. But as for Minnesota, they got the raw end of the deal. Thats for sure.

The Bruins were the only team dumb/desperate enough to give somebody away for a mediocre $4.5m/yr goaltender.

The Wild just freed themselves of $9m of cap obligations and a considerable amount of locker-room tension over the next two years, plus gave Josh Harding a viable spot to develop as a backup.

The Wild got the best of the deal. They needed to get rid of Fernandez, and Boston bit.

Edited by Crymson

Not really. Fernandez had a huge contract that wasn't going to be easy to unload on anyone else. They just had to move him somewhere, and believe me, I'm sure they called every other GM in the league. Furthermore, Fernandez benefited from Minnesota's exceptional defensive game much more so than they benefited from his goaltending. I'm sure he'll be exposed in Boston.

Guest Crymson

Apparently Fernandez was not coming back... I think Minnesota took what they could get. Besides, teams like Phoenix and LA probably have their sights set on better goalies. Either that or they are sticking with what they've got because they don't have the money.

Fernandez is signed through '08-'09, for ~$4.5m per year.

Boston sure has a lot of goalies now.

Manny Fernandez

Tim Thomas

Hannu Toivonan

Tukka Rask

Joey MacDonald

Brian Finley

Philippe Suave

What a mess. The last three are as of yet unsigned RFAs.

Guest DetroitIan

Not really. Fernandez had a huge contract that wasn't going to be easy to unload on anyone else. They just had to move him somewhere, and believe me, I'm sure they called every other GM in the league. Furthermore, Fernandez benefited from Minnesota's exceptional defensive game much more so than they benefited from his goaltending. I'm sure he'll be exposed in Boston.

Damn good point. I totally didnt check his salary. Wow does he have a fat contract or what? No way he's ever getting that much when his contract runs up. So yeah actually all and all both teams improved from this trade.

Edited by DetroitIan

Manny Fernandez

Tim Thomas

Hannu Toivonan

Tukka Rask

Joey MacDonald

Brian Finley

Philippe Suave

I haven't heard yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't tender qualifiers to guys like Finley or Sauve, though I suppose we would've heard by now if they didn't.

Guest Crymson

Damn good point. I totally didnt check his salary. Wow does he have a fat contract or what? No way he's ever getting that much when his contract runs up. So yeah actually all and all both teams improved from this trade.

When you add that to the fact that he is, at best, an average goalie, you get why this was a good deal for Minny.

Guest DetroitIan

Manny Fernandez

Tim Thomas

Hannu Toivonan

Tukka Rask

Joey MacDonald

Brian Finley

Philippe Suave

Good lord. That is insane. If Im Boston, I would narrow that down to:

Manny Fernandez

Tim Thomas

Hannu Toivonan

Good lord. That is insane. If Im Boston, I would narrow that down to:

Manny Fernandez

Tim Thomas

Hannu Toivonan

Me thinks Tuukka Rask might be a guy worth hanging on to.....(though he needs AHL seasoning, one would think)

Edited by MacK_Attack

Guest Agalloch

The Bruins once again prove what a joke of a franchise they are. They have Toivonen and Rask both nearly ready to play in the NHL. So what do they do? They trade for Manny Fernandez.

Should've stuck with Thomas. The Bruins are gonna suck for a couple more years anyway.

Guest Crymson

I wouldnt be surprised if Thomas doesn't end up being the #1. Fernandez isnt that hot, and Thomas is a pretty good keeper.

O boy! Goalie Controversy in Boston!!! /sarcasm

I agree. Fernandez really isn't all that. He fought with Roloson for years for the starting job, then promptly lost it to a rookie backup in his first season as undisputed starter.

The Bruins once again prove what a joke of a franchise they are. They have Toivonen and Rask both nearly ready to play in the NHL. So what do they do? They trade for Manny Fernandez.

Should've stuck with Thomas. The Bruins are gonna suck for a couple more years anyway.

They gave Toivonen ample opportunity last season to take the ball and run with it and he never did it.

As for Rask, he needs some AHL seasoning before being ready for the NHL. I think he's like what, 21?

However, Boston had to do something. Unlike other "hockey markets", the tickets aren't automatically sold in Beantown and they need to do things to prove to the fans that they're at least trying.

Edited by MacK_Attack