• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

Kenny on 1270

Rate this topic

Summarizing here off the top of my head

Regarding Bert: He said a 1 yr offer was made with a base salary in the mid 3s and with bonuses could've pushed it to 4. He didn't want to commit to the 2nd yr because he had to worry about the impending FAs in the next few yrs.

Hasek: They wanted him all the way and didn't even consider other options out there

Howard: He needs to establish himself as a premier goalie in the AHL this year. He's the future

Moving to the east: "if there is re-alignment we want to move to the east"

Zetterberg: We want to sit down after the playoffs are over, and lock up hank to a long term deal.

Edited by Mighty Wings

I really hate listening to interviews with Holland. He never says anything beyond "GM speak" and half the time I feel like he's either talking down to the audience or just flat out lying.

I understand the need for the GM to not give everything away, but when you listen to him and then listen to Joe Dumars, it's amazing how candid--and how much better of an interview--the latter is.

I'm guessing he used the word "term" 600 times during the interview.

-Tim

Holland OWNS you...

ouch, how, where and when couuld he possibly own somebody, besides a women...LOL...I will catch s*** for this coment. Be it true or just an opinion...Come on girls laugh with me...

ouch, how, where and when couuld he possibly own somebody, besides a women...LOL...I will catch s*** for this coment. Be it true or just an opinion...Come on girls laugh with me...

haha good luck bro but I won't be surprised if we never hear from you again on these boards when the girls are thru with you :lol:

uh... I don't even see how that's funny ^

Regarding Bert: He said a 1 yr offer was made with a base salary in the mid 3s and with bonuses could've pushed it to 4. He didn't want to commit to the 2nd yr because he had to worry about the impending FAs in the next few yrs.

It definitely makes sense for the market next year, I get why Kenny only wanted to try one year for safety reasons and that combined.

I just wish he'd have tried a second year club option or the whole two. I don't know anyone on next year's FA list that really could fill the role of a reasonably healthy Bertuzzi, but we'll find out about that crop soon no doubt.

the interview is up on 1270sports.com

Full Recap:

On the Dallas Drake signing: Gritty player, a leader who will provide depth......yada yada yada. He should get roughly 8-10 mins of icetime.

On why we didn't re-sign Bert: we were right there money-wise (mid 3s - 4) Not comfortable offering him the 2nd yr. With Nick, Draper, Cleary and some other RFAs (filpulla, quincey, howard, etc) next year, didn't want to take that risk on the unknown of how far he can bring his game back.

On whether dom was their #1 choice or did they consider someone else: $2.05 base + upto 2 mil more in playoff bonuses. Looking at the open market there weren't any other legit alternatives.

On How far off is Howard: Its really hard to know if he's the real deal right now, but he needs to play well down in GR, and the plan is bring him up next year.

On dom's performance in the playoffs/whether he can still win games singlehandedly: There are guys like Brodeur, Kipper, Luongo, and you have to look at the list after that. Dom's a guy you can win with. We're bringin him back because he gives us the best chance for a long playoff run.

On the schedule (should there be more balance?): Commish knows we want to be in the east. If we remain in the west, we would like 6 games in the division and basically revert back to the pre-lockout schedule with 18 games vs. east (10 games under the current format). Its gonna be brought up at some point in the winter during the BOG meetings and we're gonna lobby hard for the scheduling change.

Are you being punished for being a marquee team (esp. teams in the west with low attendance, but sell out vs. detroit): Kind of. Gotta convince the others to agree with the changes, but we have some good rivalries in the west, avs didn't make the playoffs, but could be a power house team again after the moves they made. We were in the process of developing a good rivalry with nashville, unfortunately they've let a number of players go. But we'd prefer to be out east and have rivalries with tor, mon, bos.

On the whole Nashville situation: There a number of people stepped up from different places, not really sure whats gonna happen to them. Hopefully they stay there and we continue to build on that rivalry.

On what other canadian cities could the NHL work in: In canada hockey is a real passion, Winnipeg's building was electric when we saw them in the playoffs in 1996. If you can get a building of good size and a big enough population, there will be support for that team. Its important for a market to have stability and develop some rivalries over time. Its also important for the other cities, like us when we have a good rivalry with Nas, so hopefully all 30 markets are stable.

On when the talks regardling Hank will begin: We can't sign him until 7/1/08, but we can begin negotiations before then. At some point in time at the end of this season, we want to sit down and have him extended just like pavel.

Edited by Mighty Wings

uh... I don't even see how that's funny ^

Really its not but there isn't really a face that's like a "chuckle" face. like a "heh heh" face, so I went with an "lol" one instead. Plus the whole haha is just to be nice. I try not to be an ass on these boards lol

Yeah i don't blame Bert at all for leaving or turning down the 1 year... basically putting all bulls*** aside... .what Holland was telling him was this is your price tag this year and next year no matter how well you do, you will have to take a pay cut because we have others that need to get a 6+ mil raise.

i agree with holland's comments, fairly standard.

holland knows that howard needs another year of development.

i expect great things from this kid if he has increased starts in GR and steps it up a few notches.

i was more unsure about liv than i've ever been about howard.

Thanks Mighty Wings, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Sounds like they’re rather unconvinced about Howard…

Or that they're trying to pressure-cook him a bit for this upcoming season in GR. To see how he responds to the challenge.

If you listen to Nill's previous comments about Howard, it sounds like they are relatively happy with his development to this point.

Howard is way too inconsistent to be a starter any time in the future. And when he does start, barring some miracle, he will likely only be another Osgood (but I like Osgood, but he IS inconsistent). I'd much rather keep up with the "trade for premier goaltender every year". We're in the age where goalies are hot one year, off the next. There's no such thing as a sure thing with goalies anymore. We really shouldn't be banking on Howard so much.

When does Luongo become available? It's time he plays for a team that deserves him.

Howard is way too inconsistent to be a starter any time in the future. And when he does start, barring some miracle, he will likely only be another Osgood (but I like Osgood, but he IS inconsistent). I'd much rather keep up with the "trade for premier goaltender every year". We're in the age where goalies are hot one year, off the next. There's no such thing as a sure thing with goalies anymore. We really shouldn't be banking on Howard so much.

When does Luongo become available? It's time he plays for a team that deserves him.

That was the knock against Howard before this years AHL playoffs. But it sure sounded like he stood on his head for the Griffins during the postseason.

I think he'll be ready as a backup next season and hopefully a starter in 2 years.