• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero"

Rate this topic

Well it's great to know Yashin won't be coming here, so all the Yashin lovers can give it a rest :P

What intrigues me though is that we are done with signings for now right? I forget how much cap space we have left but we have heard time and time again about how we need a top 6 forward. Well what if we are just waiting out to get forsberg sometime during the season. I'd take a completly healthy forsberg over Yashin or the Big G anyday, We all know what forsberg can do, he brings alot to the table. I think he could help us win. I know everyone gonna be like "oh he played for the Av's screw him" well that rivalry has long ended IMO all the players from that era have moved on, if this teams serious about winning I think it's realistc to say we would have a really good chance at getting him (if 100% healthy).

I think Holland see the central as easy picking for this team, can you blame him. Now I could be wrong and the wings could finish third in the central but I don't see that.

So he figures he can see what the young guys can do and then at the deadline or sooner if he sees a need he will have some young prospects with NHL experience to trade and 5-6 mil to play with. Remember with the cap he has to plan for Z to come back, they have made all the efforts to make him the next Stevie Y.

I wonder how much the two still talk, that was the purpose of putting their lockers side by side. And knowing how devoted to the wings Stevie is I bet he is Z's mentor.

But all just guess work!

The guy has been on teams with virtually no shot to win his entire career. You never know what putting him on a great team in a veteran-heavy locker room would do to a guy. If he doesn't try and still puts up .75-1 ppg, then imagine what he might be able to do with good linemates and with the proper motivation.

It'd be a risk for sure. But is it more of one then going into the season WITHOUT that top six forward that everyone pretty much agrees that we need, hoping that we can get one midseason or at the deadline? After all, we wouldn't have to give up anything more than money for Yashin. If it gets to the deadline, we're going to get bent over to get that top 6 forward, unless you can think of another Bertuzzi, who we could get cheap.

Unless they're thinking of trying to land Forsberg midseason, if/when he's ready to play again, they're going to have to give up a lot to get a top six forward out of another team. Look at what those guys were going for at the deadline....

Even signing Yashin, we'd still have more than enough room to pick up a player at the deadline, if we so desired. What's the point of carrying 6-8 million bucks into the season? You're not going to blow all that at the deadline, and if someone gets hurt, you get cap relief as it is. They might as well have just overpaid for someone like Comrie then, who was willing to take a one year deal. This ain't like the NFL where we can make that money work for us in the future.....

-Tim

You're not serious are you? He wasn't motivated to play his best because he wasn't on a good team?! We want guys that will give 110% NO MATTER WHAT. Nothing else is acceptable. Character is a very part of the game. To suggest that we sign a guy like Yashin who will only give 100% when he wants to is nuts.

My guess is that we will trade for this top 6 forward.

Well it's great to know Yashin won't be coming here, so all the Yashin lovers can give it a rest :P

What intrigues me though is that we are done with signings for now right? I forget how much cap space we have left but we have heard time and time again about how we need a top 6 forward. Well what if we are just waiting out to get forsberg sometime during the season. I'd take a completly healthy forsberg over Yashin or the Big G anyday, We all know what forsberg can do, he brings alot to the table. I think he could help us win. I know everyone gonna be like "oh he played for the Av's screw him" well that rivalry has long ended IMO all the players from that era have moved on, if this teams serious about winning I think it's realistc to say we would have a really good chance at getting him (if 100% healthy).

I would take a completely healthy Foresburg too but there are none of those available. We all know what Foresburg USED TO BE ABLE TO DO. Unfortunately, right now he can't even skate. So why do people keep dreaming about signing the Foresburg of 2003? It's just like the fantasy of signing the Bertuzzi of 2002. Those guys don't exist anymore.

From Ansar Kahn's article this evening: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

Devellano said there's no validity to a report in Russia's Sport Express newspaper claiming the Wings are interested in free-agent center Alexei Yashin. He's a talented player, but his effort and desire have been questioned throughout his career.

"We have no interest in him -- I mean zero,'' Devellano said. "We would like a top-six winger, but there's nobody out there. We're going to hold the money. Who knows what might happen during the season. We're not going to sign guys we don't like. We'd like to have (defenseman) Danny Markov, but can't afford him. We're not going to panic.''

i guess that about says it all now doesn't it. :D

it's good to see the wings brass stick to their guns.

Andy Sutton is asking for 2.5m? You're confused, he's asking for what Markov is wanting right now as in 4m/yr. Not sure if you worded it wrong or whatever, but I'll assume you did. If Markov is being greedy and Sutton is basically the same player, how is Sutton asking for 4m a better deal?

That's what I've heard his asking price is, from both TSN and Spectors. Unless you know something they don't, or they were both wrong, that's what I think it is.

If Sutton was asking for 4 million also, then I just assume sign neither. Their both ok defenseman, but not worth 4 million a season. That's a bit excessive.

I still want Holland to try and find another defenseman out there though. I am not big on the fact that Lilja will be a roster regular again.

You're not serious are you? He wasn't motivated to play his best because he wasn't on a good team?! We want guys that will give 110% NO MATTER WHAT. Nothing else is acceptable. Character is a very part of the game. To suggest that we sign a guy like Yashin who will only give 100% when he wants to is nuts.

Pair him with Datsyuk, and hope that being a part of a winning organization that gives him the chance to win the Cup for the first time in his life along with having a great group of veterans around him could shape him up. It definitely wouldn't be the first time it's happened....

And failing that, I'd still take a guy that could slack his way to 50 points in 58 games, who kept his +/- positive, and who despite playing only 58 games had more SOG than all but 3 guys on our team, over only having 5 forwards in my top 6.

If the plan is Forsberg, then fine. But otherwise, you can't take this cap room with you. How much money do you really need at the deadline?

Overpaying slightly is fine if it's not a long-term contract and you've got the cap room anyway.

-Tim

It's not just the fact that Yashin is a big prick, but the fact that he has to wear a turtleneck to top off his prick attitude. Why not just throw the friggen sweater over your shoulders to finish off the image?

What's wrong with turtlenecks?

Good turtleneck useage:

IPB Image

Bad turtleneck useage:

IPB Image

It just makes him look like a dillhole.

You're not coming to a conclusion based solely on the merits of the turtleneck, though. If anything, you're arguing that someone (male) that is a prick has their "prickness" amplified by the turtleneck. If Yzerman played in a turtleneck he'd still be awesome.

Furthermore, a hot girl is a hot girl. A hot girl in a burlap sack is still hot.

You're not coming to a conclusion based solely on the merits of the turtleneck, though. If anything, you're arguing that someone (male) that is a prick has their "prickness" amplified by the turtleneck. If Yzerman played in a turtleneck he'd still be awesome.

Furthermore, a hot girl is a hot girl. A hot girl in a burlap sack is still hot.

I disagree. A hot chick in a burlap sack, given that I had no prior knowledge of her, would not appear hot because I wouldn't be able to see other aspects of her that may change my opinion. She could be a porker with a hot face in the burlap sack. So, the impression of her would remain if I never saw her in any other light. And if she did turn out to be a porker, it would most likely have an affect on any other woman I saw in a burlap sack.

In Yashin's case, he is the only player who wears a turtleneck, and is indeed a prick. So, the impression is that the turtleneck under the jersey is associated with being a prick. If Yzerman had arrived after Yashin, and joined the turtleneck brigade, it might be assumed that he's a prick too.

Edited by al48

There is no player that Holland could have signed this offseason that would have been a top six forward on this team, and wouldn't have cost far more than they should. The only forwards who have signed this offseason who would have even had a chance at making the top six, AND cost less than 4m were Dainus Zubrus and Ladislav Nagy. I would rather see what Hudler and Filppula can do given that ice time than sign one of those guys with a chance but no guarantee that it would be better.

The only players lost this offseason who were a factor in the playoffs were Schneider and Markov. Holland replaced both of those guys in one signing with the better player in Rafalski. Bertuzzi and Lang were nonfactors in the playoffs, so cutting them loose doesn't hurt us from that standpoint.

Bring me Mike Peca!! :D

I disagree. A hot chick in a burlap sack, given that I had no prior knowledge of her, would not appear hot because I wouldn't be able to see other aspects of her that may change my opinion. She could be a porker with a hot face in the burlap sack. So, the impression of her would remain if I never saw her in any other light. And if she did turn out to be a porker, it would most likely have an affect on any other woman I saw in a burlap sack.

In Yashin's case, he is the only player who wears a turtleneck, and is indeed a prick. So, the impression is that the turtleneck under the jersey is associated with being a prick. If Yzerman had arrived after Yashin, and joined the turtleneck brigade, it might be assumed that he's a prick too.

I guess I should have said a girl, previously known to be hot, and then placed in a burlap sack, remains hot. My point being that the sack is of little consequence (the argument I'm paralleling to the turtleneck issue).

I guess I should have said a girl, previously known to be hot, and then placed in a burlap sack, remains hot. My point being that the sack is of little consequence (the argument I'm paralleling to the turtleneck issue).

:lol:

I know we argue alot here on LGW, but this has to be one of the most out there debates of all time. When we start debating about girls in burlap sacks, its definitely cause for a WTF.

Nonetheless, it was hilarious to hear you two debate about the underlying meaning of wearing turtlenecks and its association with being a prick, and somehow a burlap sack came into play.

Gretzky used to wear turtlenecks. :P

OK, I see your point, and agree. The burlap sack isn't in the equation if the chick is known to be hot. I guess my point is that the turtleneck, being a somewhat pompous article of clothing when worn by men (especially a black one), magnifies his prickness. So, in essence you're correct. But, the turtleneck bears a certain negative stigma as being worn by a$$holes, and Yashin is just fulfilling that stigma. Good talk....good talk. This has been, by far, the best debate I've been involved in for a long time....lol.

Gretzky used to wear turtlenecks. :P

And we're all starting to see what a whiny prick he is now.

IPB Image

The guy has been on teams with virtually no shot to win his entire career. You never know what putting him on a great team in a veteran-heavy locker room would do to a guy. If he doesn't try and still puts up .75-1 ppg, then imagine what he might be able to do with good linemates and with the proper motivation.

It'd be a risk for sure. But is it more of one then going into the season WITHOUT that top six forward that everyone pretty much agrees that we need, hoping that we can get one midseason or at the deadline? After all, we wouldn't have to give up anything more than money for Yashin. If it gets to the deadline, we're going to get bent over to get that top 6 forward, unless you can think of another Bertuzzi, who we could get cheap.

Unless they're thinking of trying to land Forsberg midseason, if/when he's ready to play again, they're going to have to give up a lot to get a top six forward out of another team. Look at what those guys were going for at the deadline....

Even signing Yashin, we'd still have more than enough room to pick up a player at the deadline, if we so desired. What's the point of carrying 6-8 million bucks into the season? You're not going to blow all that at the deadline, and if someone gets hurt, you get cap relief as it is. They might as well have just overpaid for someone like Comrie then, who was willing to take a one year deal. This ain't like the NFL where we can make that money work for us in the future.....

-Tim

****************************************************************************************************************************************

WE wants a top 6 forward..well wait !!! the point of carrying 6-8 million would be NOT to spend it on crap that infects the team...Forsberg may be available at Xmas but I don't see him with the wings but if Stanley is what you want then

part way thru the year will be SERGI FEDOROV the reason wings won 3 cups, as i see it we haven't won since he left...last year of contract coming here would motivate him big time..just like everyone else..

I know bunch of people will say he deserted us for money but that's what professionel sports is all about!!! $$$$$$

If it wasn't the NHLwouldn't have shut down for a year....and if the players had more balls they would have won

had they not deserted Goodenow... Just keep saying it SERGI SERGI SERGI Stanley CUP Stanley cup

Sutton is bigger, stronger, a bit more offensive upside, pretty willing fighter, takes more dumb penalties, slower, dumber

Markov is a smarter player, wins more battles for loose pucks, not as strong, not as big, not as much offensive abilities, not very willing fighter, quicker player

Grass is always greener on the other side. Sutton is better offensively, a decent fighter, and as physical as they come, but if anyone thinks Sutton is an overall better player than Markov, they havent watched Sutton play enough. Markov is a much better player in his own end than Sutton is and a much more intelligent hockey player than Sutton. Sutton is a good Dman, dont get me wrong, but he wouldnt thrive in the Wings puck possession system. Sutton is not a good guy to have holding on to the puck.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

WE wants a top 6 forward..well wait !!! the point of carrying 6-8 million would be NOT to spend it on crap that infects the team...Forsberg may be available at Xmas but I don't see him with the wings but if Stanley is what you want then

part way thru the year will be SERGI FEDOROV the reason wings won 3 cups , as i see it we haven't won since he left...last year of contract coming here would motivate him big time..just like everyone else..

I know bunch of people will say he deserted us for money but that's what professionel sports is all about!!! $$$$$$

If it wasn't the NHLwouldn't have shut down for a year....and if the players had more balls they would have won

had they not deserted Goodenow... Just keep saying it SERGI SERGI SERGI Stanley CUP Stanley cup

Yeah and the worst playoff exit weve had in recent years featured....Sergei Fedorov. If Sergei Fedorov is the "reason" we won those 3 cups, why didnt he ever nab the Conne Smythe then? Fedorov is only PART of the story. Hes no more the "reason" the Wings won than Shanny, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc are.

:lol:

I know we argue alot here on LGW, but this has to be one of the most out there debates of all time. When we start debating about girls in burlap sacks, its definitely cause for a WTF.

Nonetheless, it was hilarious to hear you two debate about the underlying meaning of wearing turtlenecks and its association with being a prick, and somehow a burlap sack came into play.

OK, I see your point, and agree. The burlap sack isn't in the equation if the chick is known to be hot. I guess my point is that the turtleneck, being a somewhat pompous article of clothing when worn by men (especially a black one), magnifies his prickness. So, in essence you're correct. But, the turtleneck bears a certain negative stigma as being worn by a$$holes, and Yashin is just fulfilling that stigma. Good talk....good talk. This has been, by far, the best debate I've been involved in for a long time....lol.

:D It's the offseason, we have to keep ourselves entertained, right?

Yeah and the worst playoff exit weve had in recent years featured....Sergei Fedorov. If Sergei Fedorov is the "reason" we won those 3 cups, why didnt he ever nab the Conne Smythe then? Fedorov is only PART of the story. Hes no more the "reason" the Wings won than Shanny, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc are.

Try telling that to the blowhards who believe Fedorov is the only reason Detroit was ever a good team. You know who you are.

And we're all starting to see what a whiny prick he is now.

IPB Image

Well, if Gretzky is your definition of a prick, then 90% of the NHL players and athletes in general would qualify.

Yashin wouldn't stand out in that crowd.