• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest LivingtheDream

Sergei Fedorov career revival - play D

Rate this topic

Didn't ex-Wing Mark Howe start his career on a forward line for the WHA Houston Aeros which included his dad, & brother?

Sometime after that he became a full-time Dman if my memory serves me right.

Mark Howe started his career as a LW in the WHA, and had three seasons of better than a point per game in the WHA that way. He continued on starting in the 76-77 season as a defenseman, and was a Norris finalist a few times.

OK, I loved Fedorov when he was here. BUT...

DOESN'T ANYBODY REMEMBER THAT WHEN HE LEFT HE BASICALLY TOLD THE WINGS HE'D RATHER PLAY IN PAKISTAN SURROUNDED BY RABID SKUNKS THAN PLAY IN DETROIT!!!??? Too late he found out hockey players in Los Angeles were not granted the near-divine status they get around here. By then, skills starting to slip, options starting to fade.

Again, I loved him playing here, but he isn't coming back and I can't imagine him being overly welcomed by the folks at the top.

I can think of a current player on the Wings who messed up the Wings a couple of times and was still welcomed back here...and he didn't have 13 seasons under his belt to carry him. I think things were a bit different than everyone knows...and although the fans might take (what 1 game or so) to adjust..the management are pros.

Now, I know, I know. Sergei has always been critisized...and unfairly so....and I think he'd definitely come here to play offense, and would definitely add to the team at that position. But if needed he could fill in on D, and that's a big thing, because not many could do that well. Also, he could play the power play point and do it WELL. We'd have a fab PP with him on the team, no doubt.

Whether you are for him being on the team or you've been against him...you have to agree on one thing...nothing sparks more debate or interest than a Fedorov topic. People can't wait to get in their jabs or their defense of him. He definitely needs to come back. Never has a scorned lover left everyone wanting more so much... If people didn't care about him there wouldn't be such heated debates. I really hope he comes back. And yes, I think he'd be good for the team. He's a great player still.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

We should have some kind of counter here saying "It has been X amount of days since someone said "We should have some kind of counter here saying "It has been X amount of days since we've last had a Sergei Fedorov thread".

HAHA! You're hysterical. Of course all your counter would do is further prove that there are far too many Fedorov threads b/c people only say that when there's another f-ing Fedorov thread.

This might have meant something back when he won the damn thing. Oh, and it might mean even more if we knew what velocity Schneider was shooting at. Of course an entirely better comparison could be made if we knew what each was shooting at today.

Somebody once said Bobby Hull's shot was clocked at 120mph. I guess that means he still shoots harder than Schnides too, huh?

No, nothing else is sadder than somebody who will stoop to utter condescension in order to waste time on those he feels are bashing the thread. Leaning down to insult the insulters, eh? It appears you really need to be busier at work/school/home.

Pretty d@mned comically ironic post. Thanks for the laugh.

:clap::clap::clap:

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Once again you contribute..... nothing! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was getting laid last night and now I have to run to a busy day at work. Enjoy your day wasting keystrokes and most certainly wasting other kinds of strokes too.

why not call out OsGod? Clearly, you're a Feds slappy so don't get your panties in a bunch when people bash on the thread and please give us a little credit. We're not so dumb as to think you're not a Feds slappy and this is really just another poorly cloaked "BRING BACK FEDS" post.

I can't speak for everybody who bashes on Feds. But me, i've stated numerous times I would take him back under certain circumstances. I hold no ill will towards the man whatsoever. That being said do I think there are better options? Yup. Do I think he's nothing like he was in 02? Yup. Do I think he's way overpaid? Hell Yes! Would I bring him back to play D? WTF for? He's a forward and wants to play forward.

Some people may have a true disdain for Feds that clouds their ability to see that he is still a pretty darn good player. I don't think he's spectacular anymore but obviously, the tools are still there but to a lesser degree. He could help any team in the league including Detroit. But i'm still hoping we look elsewhere.

And Crymson is right. Fedorov supporters are so delusional in their love affair with the guy that they could never admit it if he was terrible. Even if he had the worst season of his life they'd make excuses for him and play the old broken record of "bring him back so his career will be rejuvinated".

Types of people when it comes to Feds:

1. The Haters. They can't see through their hatred to be rational

2. The Pragmatists. They understand his value but aren't sold on him being the best fit for the team

3. The Love Bunnies. They don't really want to contribute anything more than "YEAH, BRING BACK FEDS" to a thread b/c they like the idea and don't want to put any more thought into it.

4. The Finger Pointers. They accuse anybody who doesn't stroke Feds as a Hater.

5. The Die-Hards. Exact opposite of the Haters. Too in love to be rational.

you'll notice there is no 6th type. If there was a 6th it would be for the Rational non-slappy Feds fan. I haven't found one of them yet. All of the bring back Sergei crowd have proven themselves to be slappies thus far.

man, I just know this is gonna rub somebody raw

I can think of a current player on the Wings who messed up the Wings a couple of times and was still welcomed back here...and he didn't have 13 seasons under his belt to carry him. I think things were a bit different than everyone knows...and although the fans might take (what 1 game or so) to adjust..the management are pros.

Now, I know, I know. Sergei has always been critisized...and unfairly so....and I think he'd definitely come here to play offense, and would definitely add to the team at that position. But if needed he could fill in on D, and that's a big thing, because not many could do that well. Also, he could play the power play point and do it WELL. We'd have a fab PP with him on the team, no doubt.

Whether you are for him being on the team or you've been against him...you have to agree on one thing...nothing sparks more debate or interest than a Fedorov topic. People can't wait to get in their jabs or their defense of him. He definitely needs to come back. Never has a scorned lover left everyone wanting more so much... If people didn't care about him there wouldn't be such heated debates. I really hope he comes back. And yes, I think he'd be good for the team. He's a great player still.

I wouldn't say his criticism was always unfair. The Hockey News put him on the cover back in the mid-90's and the headline read" THE ENIGMA OF SERGEI FEDOROV". You know what that was about? It was about the fact that he was probably the best player in the world but he didn't have the work ethic and didn't show up all the time, from shift to shift. IMO, in the early years his heart was questioned and rightfully so. Unless people believe THN to be some kind of anti-commi mag or something aimed at destroying Sergei.

PS: I promise not to call anyone else a slappy today. I just like the sound of that word.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

And Crymson is right. Fedorov supporters are so delusional in their love affair with the guy that they could never admit it if he was terrible. Even if he had the worst season of his life they'd make excuses for him and play the old broken record of "bring him back so his career will be rejuvinated".

Crymson isn't right. Fedorov supporters aren't delusional...and just because people like Fedorov doens't make them a 'slappy' as you say. I will put myself, on my own, into the category that just loves Feds. I would want him back no matter what, but I'm not stupid, and I understand hockey. The thing is that Fedorov is a really good player still and would add to the team.

But even if you say he'd add to the team you get 100 posts in the other direction of hatred and how he's totally useless..which is just rubbish.

And yeah, I've heard everything about his supposed work ethic. I'm not saying there's nothing to it at all, but that was all blown out of proportion, too. Just like everyone quesioned his heart because he wouldn't play through injuries like Yzerman...yet there he was in the playoffs playing through broken ribs. People have a way of getting something stuck in their head here in Detroit and never being able to let it go. Just like Ozzie's known for letting in blueline goals..you know....that ONE series...that we won...and went on to win the Cup... Whatever. It's dumb. Fedorov was a hard worker on the team, and he was not out of position a lot so that he could be in a good position to score and wouldn't have to kill himself to get to the puck. Which was smart...not lazy. often times he'd be double shifted anyway, so I doubt that would have happened if he was lazy.

this might have meant something back when he won the damn thing. Oh, and it might mean even more if we knew what velocity Schneider was shooting at. Of course an entirely better comparison could be made if we knew what each was shooting at today.

Somebody once said Bobby Hull's shot was clocked at 120mph. I guess that means he still shoots harder than Schnides too, huh?

I guess we will never know 'cause schnides was never an all-star, eh?

Schnides had a great shot also... too bad because we no longer have him so his velocity from the point is moot for the wings.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest GordieSid&Ted

HAHA! Nice! Too bad being an all-star has nothing to do with the hardest shot competition. They hold the even there but there is absolutely no correlation to who an all-star is and his shot power. Hell, they pick and choose who is going to participate anyway even if harder shooters are present. And every team in the league holds its own hardest shot comp don't they?

I guess if a guy shot 105 but wasn't an all-star then Feds would still shoot harder, huh? Nice try though.

why not call out OsGod?

What are you seemingly thinking I have or will be called out on? My liking of a hockey player... oh s***... bad me.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Crymson isn't right. Fedorov supporters aren't delusional...and just because people like Fedorov doens't make them a 'slappy' as you say. I will put myself, on my own, into the category that just loves Feds. I would want him back no matter what, but I'm not stupid, and I understand hockey. The thing is that Fedorov is a really good player still and would add to the team.

But even if you say he'd add to the team you get 100 posts in the other direction of hatred and how he's totally useless..which is just rubbish.

And yeah, I've heard everything about his supposed work ethic. I'm not saying there's nothing to it at all, but that was all blown out of proportion, too. Just like everyone quesioned his heart because he wouldn't play through injuries like Yzerman...yet there he was in the playoffs playing through broken ribs. People have a way of getting something stuck in their head here in Detroit and never being able to let it go. Just like Ozzie's known for letting in blueline goals..you know....that ONE series...that we won...and went on to win the Cup... Whatever. It's dumb. Fedorov was a hard worker on the team, and he was not out of position a lot so that he could be in a good position to score and wouldn't have to kill himself to get to the puck. Which was smart...not lazy. often times he'd be double shifted anyway, so I doubt that would have happened if he was lazy.

Yeah, but Offsides you're making an excuse for him again. It was blown out of proportion? THN had him on the cover calling him out? How can you still make excuses for that. IMO, he corrected all of those things in my mind. He worked hard and he played through pain so I don't hold that against him. But early on he did have those issues and they weren't blown out of proportion. To be honest, its probably good that he got called out for it because he did end up changing.

And yeah, you're right there are alot of pure haters out there that add nothing to the Fedorov discussion. They're worse than slappies IMO. Not by much but still worse.

I don't mean that all slappies are dumb about hockey, just dumb about Feds :P . Seriously though, I think i'd have an accident in my pants if somebody admitted that they can't stand Sergei Fedorov but wouldn't mind seeing him back b/c of his abilities. To me, that's a non-slappy, rational right there. It's like the Holy Grail. I've been searching but have never found one. Seems everybody who really wants Feds back is a die-hard lover of him. It makes me question their impartiality I guess is what i'm saying.

HAHA! Nice! Too bad being an all-star has nothing to do with the hardest shot competition. They hold the even there but there is absolutely no correlation to who an all-star is and his shot power. Hell, they pick and choose who is going to participate anyway even if harder shooters are present. And every team in the league holds its own hardest shot comp don't they?

I guess if a guy shot 105 but wasn't an all-star then Feds would still shoot harder, huh? Nice try though.

Every team had a fest type thing... can't remember schindes ever taking that hardest shot... Perhaps accurate is more schnides boat. But we will never know unless it is actually guaged.. Feds was clocked at over 100MPH ... Scnides while might appear to be fast has yet to be actually clocked... so only assumptions can be made about his shot. perhpas it appears to be faster than it really is? I don't know until someone puts a gun in front of his shot there is no point speculating if his shot is harder than feds.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest GordieSid&Ted

What are you seemingly thinking I have or will be called out on? My liking of a hockey player... oh s***... bad me.

nah, you made one post that didn't contribute to the thread, just bashed on Crymson so when he bashed back he got called out. Its no biggie, just proved that the OP wasn't really trying to start a new concept but in actuality was just hashing up another BBF thread.

bringbackfeds

Schnides had a great shot also... too bad because we no longer have him so his velocity from the point is moot for the wings.

no more moot than how hard Sergei shoots. he plays in Ohio, no?

Every team had a fest type thing... can't remember schindes ever taking that hardest shot... Perhaps accurate is more schnides boat. But we will never know unless it is actually guaged.. Feds was clocked at over 100MPH ... Scnides while might appear to be fast has yet to be actually clocked... so only assumptions can be made about his shot. perhpas it appears to be faster than it really is? I don't know until someone puts a gun in front of his shot there is no point speculating if his shot is harder than feds.

yes, all assumptions at this point. we'd need them to both be clocked today to say for sure. for the record, I think Sergei is more accurate with his shot.

as for schnides ever winning? again, that'd be relative. if he shot 103 and another teammate shot 104 then technically he wouldn't have won, so.....

nah, you made one post that didn't contribute to the thread, just bashed on Crymson so when he bashed back he got called out. Its no biggie, just proved that the OP wasn't really trying to start a new concept but in actuality was just hashing up another BBF thread.

When did I post something thatjust bashed on Crymson and didn't contribute at all to this thread... let alone bashed on him FIRST? ah ohwell...

I still believe that Whether feds be called on as defense or just another forward on the point... he will be most beneficial to our team...

I called Scheides moot because I highly doubt he will be comeing back here before he hang 'em up.... As for Feds, he may play in ohio, but come the end of the season all signs point to him coming back.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

When did I post something thatjust bashed on Crymson and didn't contribute at all to this thread... let alone bashed on him FIRST? ah ohwell...

I still believe that Whether feds be called on as defense or just another forward on the point... he will be most beneficial to our team...

I called Scheides moot because I highly doubt he will be comeing back here before he hang 'em up.... As for Feds, he may play in ohio, but come the end of the season all signs point to him coming back.

we see it how we want to see it. as of today, its all moot, neither plays for us and we can't clock them today so who knows who the hardest shooter is

Not true. Sergei's is easily harder.

Fedorov's dad complaining is not the same as Fedorov complaining. Sergei never once bitched about his role to the media. As far as a 'career revival'? Fedorov is still a damn fine forward!! The Wings only have two forwards I would even consider better than Sergei, and most teams are weaker up front than Detroit.

why didn't he tell his dad to STFU? just wondering.

and how can you be so certain that Sergei's shot is still harder or ever was harder than Matty's? Have they ever gone head to head? Does anybody have a clock on the both of them from last season as that's what really matters, not what they shot 6 years ago or whenever.

my bad, i rechecked the thread, you are most noblest of pirates and no bashing did ye do. GST was mistaken

and how can you be so certain that Sergei's shot is still harder or ever was harder than Matty's? Have they ever gone head to head? Does anybody have a clock on the both of them from last season as that's what really matters, not what they shot 6 years ago or whenever.

Fedorov has been clocked over 100 mph numerous times. Schneider's shot is pretty even with Nick Lidstrom's, who only once has been clocked over 95. The chances that Lidstrom's shot has improved by 3-5mph in the past couple of years while Fedorov's has declined by an equal amount are pretty slim. That would suggest Schneider's shot is still not as hard as Sergei's.

Read the new sig Osgod, people on this board have become so self righteous. Don't get me wrong there are some really solid posters out there that can discuss and debate. But for the most part this place has become one big pissing contest and if you are not careful it will consume you. It did me a couple of times.

Read the new sig Osgod, people on this board have become so self righteous. Don't get me wrong there are some really solid posters out there that can discuss and debate. But for the most part this place has become one big pissing contest and if you are not careful it will consume you. It did me a couple of times.

In borat speak...

NIIICE!

I should change mine to say "bloody bugger off, would ye?" :lol:

This is why I don't understand why people had an issue with Pirate talk.

Half of the people on here on skim the thread and the rip off on someone, with out understanding the topic. So if it is in pirate, do they really understand any less.

But then again are the poor souls who come on here and actually want to discuss what is going on so I guess we have to account for the minority.

I don't mean that all slappies are dumb about hockey, just dumb about Feds :P . Seriously though, I think i'd have an accident in my pants if somebody admitted that they can't stand Sergei Fedorov but wouldn't mind seeing him back b/c of his abilities. To me, that's a non-slappy, rational right there. It's like the Holy Grail. I've been searching but have never found one. Seems everybody who really wants Feds back is a die-hard lover of him. It makes me question their impartiality I guess is what i'm saying.

I've never really been a big fan of Fedorov. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say that I can't stand him, but I really don't like him all that much, never did. I always thought that he had a ton of talent, but didn't have the drive to get the most out of that talent. I also really took offense to the whole "playing in Stevie's shadow" complaints (whether fairly attributed to him or not). Fedorov wasn't in Stevie's shadow when he left here and hadn't been for quite some time. He got more ice time and better ice time. He couldn't be Captain here with Yzerman still around, but if he had swallowed his pride and stayed, there is a good chance that he would be wearing the C today...That being said, I wouldn't be against bringing him back (I would prefer Forsberg over him, as stated in the other thread though).

This is why I don't understand why people had an issue with Pirate talk.

Half of the people on here on skim the thread and the rip off on someone, with out understanding the topic. So if it is in pirate, do they really understand any less.

But then again are the poor souls who come on here and actually want to discuss what is going on so I guess we have to account for the minority.

The message I got, was that people were complaining they couldn't read my posts easily and couldn't comment.... Well WTF? I have since had the same amount of replies to my posts since not using the pirate talk (SEPT 19 is only a short time away) as I did when I was natterin' opposite the "cool" people.

It is laughable at best... It more about being able to flex the arms of control rather than stopping something that was offensive to everyone and causing so much harm in threads that were filled constantly with Hatred fill, foul mouth posts.....

I did notice one thing though... it is much easier to get into fights speaking bloody proper english... so for that alone I can actually contribute to making this board the Fighting grounds everyone wants it to be.

and to stay on topic.... GO FEDS! 1-800-Hansons... GIT ER DUN!

Edited by OsGOD

Vladinator,

This is why I like a guy like Crosby, he has a ton of skill and seems to exhibit the same kind of work ethic that Stevie had. I love Yzerman, but without his work ethic he was a career 2nd or 3rd liner. The fact that he went out there and busted his ass, or knees as it was, made him better than he was.

If Feds had that kind of drive like you mentioned he would have been one of the best in the world. Don't get me wrong he was still pretty damn great as a wing.

Vladinator,

This is why I like a guy like Crosby, he has a ton of skill and seems to exhibit the same kind of work ethic that Stevie had. I love Yzerman, but without his work ethic he was a career 2nd or 3rd liner. The fact that he went out there and busted his ass, or knees as it was, made him better than he was.

If Feds had that kind of drive like you mentioned he would have been one of the best in the world. Don't get me wrong he was still pretty damn great as a wing.

If Feds had Yzerman's drive, he wouldn't have been one of the best in the world, he would have been THE best in the world, bar none...

The talent of Gretzky with the work ethic of Robert Lang... :P

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Fedorov has been clocked over 100 mph numerous times. Schneider's shot is pretty even with Nick Lidstrom's, who only once has been clocked over 95. The chances that Lidstrom's shot has improved by 3-5mph in the past couple of years while Fedorov's has declined by an equal amount are pretty slim. That would suggest Schneider's shot is still not as hard as Sergei's.

I think you're entire argument is flawed because its based on the assumption that his shot is anything like Lidstrom's. Without a clock on Matty's shot there's no way to tell. Can you tell the difference between a 95 mph shot and a 96 or 96 from 97, etc...

Unless you can tell me what Matty's been clocked at I refuse to accept any assumptions.

The message I got, was that people were complaining they couldn't read my posts easily and couldn't comment.... Well WTF? I have since had the same amount of replies to my posts since not using the pirate talk (SEPT 19 is only a short time away) as I did when I was natterin' opposite the "cool" people.

It is laughable at best... It more about being able to flex the arms of control rather than stopping something that was offensive to everyone and causing so much harm in threads that were filled constantly with Hatred fill, foul mouth posts.....

I did notice one thing though... it is much easier to get into fights speaking bloody proper english... so for that alone I can actually contribute to making this board the Fighting grounds everyone wants it to be.

and to stay on topic.... GO FEDS! 1-800-Hansons... GIT ER DUN!

Honestly, I don't understand the Pirate speak. I mean, I understand what you're trying to say, but how'd you come to want to post like that?

Reminds me of the guy in the Dodgeball movie who thinks he's a pirate. Was that inspiration?

What should be discussed is his Game shot. Listen, guys can grip it and rip it in a competition and just worry about hitting the net. In a game situation there are a lot of factors that impact it. Also they say that Schneids shot is really a heavy shot. Not sure what that means in terms of how the puck acts or travels.

But in baseball they say a guy like Riviera from the Yankees has a heavier fastball than most and his fastball absolutely shatters bats.

Guest Crymson

Once again you contribute..... nothing! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was getting laid last night and now I have to run to a busy day at work. Enjoy your day wasting keystrokes and most certainly wasting other kinds of strokes too.

You're apparently not very bright, as you don't realize just how much you're perfectly fitting the original description you tried to apply to myself and whomever else you felt was insulting your idea.

I suppose I'd fit #2 on GS&T's list. I don't hate the guy at all. I just think that better options exist.

We do get total Feds suckers on these forums, such as the guy who suggested that we should trade for him and pick up his $6m salary for this year.

Edited by Crymson