• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Rumor: Ducks won't match offer for Penner

Rate this topic

i didnt say he was useless, i said he was lazy....he has his moments dont get me wrong but he aint worth 4.3 million..jonathan cheechoo doesnt even make that much, former rocket richard winner...im not hurt at all about that..i was there and as long as the 15,000 came out and enjoyed it then thats all the matters to me...i didnt know it was a popularity contest....

Cheechoo, like Zetterberg are exceptions to the rule. If Hank and Cheech's contracts were used as a standard, the best player in the league would be lucky to get over 5M.

If you want to use a comparable contract, what about Bertuzzi. 4M per for What? 3 goals in 15 games?? What about Blake who got 4M over 5 years after one big season of 40 goals. Prior to that, he had never even scored as many goals in a season over his entire career as Penner did in his only full season. Lang? 4M per, for being possibly the worst forward on the Red Wings squad and not even topping 20 goals. Tkachuk? 4M. Hartnell? 4.2M

Can people not see how long-term deals work in the new NHL? You pay up in the first few years in anticipation that your deal will be a bargain in the end. If Penner scores 40 goals at any point in his contract, thats a least 1 year of being underpaid at 4.3M. Its definitely not a stretch to say that Penner could hit that a few times in the next 5 years.

I am willing to bet that by the time Bertuzzis contract is up, Penner will be worth 4.3M

Edited by YoungGuns1340

i didnt say he was useless, i said he was lazy....he has his moments dont get me wrong but he aint worth 4.3 million..jonathan cheechoo doesnt even make that much, former rocket richard winner...im not hurt at all about that..i was there and as long as the 15,000 came out and enjoyed it then thats all the matters to me...i didnt know it was a popularity contest....

You are right - Dustin Penner is NOT worth four million dollars at this point. Nobody is disputing that.

My argument was more along the lines, that say for instance the Ducks got Penner back for a more reasonable contract - would you still label him lazy? I doubt it.

By the way, you defending 15,000 people at a victory parade is pathetic. That's the biggest joke I have ever heard. It's not a popularity contest, it just proves how relevant hockey is in Anaheim. The Red Wings get 15,000 people at pre-season games.

haha u know i found this funny...on the guys blog on mlive he was doing a q and a from some emails, and i liked his answer to us going after penner

Q. Shouldn't the Wings sign Dustin Penner to an offer sheet? Maybe the Ducks, who are against the cap, won't be able to match it.

-- Steve

It would probably be a waste of time. The most the Wings could offer is around $4-$5 million a season and the Ducks are sure to match any offer this talented, young power forward gets. Anaheim will have to dump some salary in the unlikely event that Scott Niedermayer decides to come back, but whatever GM Brian Burke has to do to keep Penner, you can bet he'll do it.

lol

You are right - Dustin Penner is NOT worth four million dollars at this point. Nobody is disputing that.

My argument was more along the lines, that say for instance the Ducks got Penner back for a more reasonable contract - would you still label him lazy? I doubt it.

By the way, you defending 15,000 people at a victory parade is pathetic. That's the biggest joke I have ever heard. It's not a popularity contest, it just proves how relevant hockey is in Anaheim. The Red Wings get 15,000 people at pre-season games.

At least Tampa Bay had 20,000....Still, not much compared to Detroits 1,000,000.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

to tell u the truth, ive never like penner as a person..as a player yes but as a person know..ive met him, ive been around him plenty of times....hes cocky and arrogant....im happy burke didnt match, hes not worth that much...maybe in the future but not now....im not bitter, still enjoying winning the stanley cup.....

Everybody knows I despise the RFA offer sheet. However, it makes sense no matter how much I hate it.

The Oilers have money to spend so they can afford to overpay, which is what they did. No two ways about it they're paying a 2.5 million guy 4.2 million. Oh well, they can afford it.

The picks they lost don't matter because they stocked up on a boatload of picks the last few seasons.

As for the Ducks, they need to pray Bert regains form. If he does regain his form, then they've effectively replaced Penner. And, perhaps Bobby Ryan will be ready to assume the power forward role as well.

Out with Penner

In with Ryan and Bertuzzi

I don't feel bad for either team. I still hate the RFA offer sheet.

The Western Conference still goes through Anaheim.

Great post, until this line..

As I was reading earlier on cbs.sportsline.. the Wings were the only team to give the Ducks a challenge, and likely would have eliminated them if not for a flukey OT turnover. I know, I know... things happen for a reason or whatever, but... to me..

THE WESTERN CONFERENCE GOES THROUGH DETROIT

As I was reading earlier on cbs.sportsline.. the Wings were the only team to give the Ducks a challenge, and likely would have eliminated them if not for a flukey OT turnover. I know, I know... things happen for a reason or whatever, but... to me..

I wish it did go through Detroit, but the Ducks have what the Red Wings want. All excuses aside, the team to beat in the Western Conference is Anaheim, until someone proves that otherwise. Hopefully, the Red Wings can finish them off next season.

Edited by GoWings1905

It wasnt an OT turnover, it was 2 key injuries that wouldve cost any other team at least 2-3 rounds in the playoffs. The fact that the Wings battled through that is impressive enough. No doubt they wouldve finished Anaheim off if theyd have had Schnieder and Kronwall firing rockets from the point on those extended 5 on 3s instead of...Chelios, and...Lebda.

It wasnt an OT turnover, it was 2 key injuries that wouldve cost any other team at least 2-3 rounds in the playoffs. The fact that the Wings battled through that is impressive enough. No doubt they wouldve finished Anaheim off if theyd have had Schnieder and Kronwall firing rockets from the point on those extended 5 on 3s instead of...Chelios, and...Lebda.

Seriously, was Kronwall that big of a loss?

He never impressed me at all last season, with the exception of his hit on Lupul. He was always mishandling the puck, or losing it, or turning it over to the other team.

...and before you say "It wuz teh cage!!!!!!11" consider the fact that Todd Fedoruk wore the very same thing in November/December and scored 2 goals while he had it, which is huge for a player like him that doesn't score a lot of goals. He never looked out of place while wearing one, so I don't count it as an excuse.

I just don't consider Kronwall a loss. I mean, did you all think Quincey played that badly by saying Kronwall playing instead of him would make the difference?

Edited by Kp-Wings

Seriously, was Kronwall that big of a loss?

He never impressed me at all last season, with the exception of his hit on Lupul. He was always mishandling the puck, or losing it, or turning it over to the other team.

...and before you say "It wuz teh cage!!!!!!11" consider the fact that Todd Fedoruk wore the very same thing in November/December and scored 2 goals while he had it, which is huge for a player like him that doesn't score a lot of goals. He never looked out of place while wearing one, so I don't count it as an excuse.

I just don't consider Kronwall a loss. I mean, did you all think Quincey played that badly by saying Kronwall playing instead of him would make the difference?

Gotta agree. I forget Kronwall is even on the team sometimes whenever I play 07 because I never have him on the team. Hes injured so often , I mean , everytime you change the channel he gets a new injury. He handles the puck terribly and is as prone to mistakes as McCabe or Breisbois, though he doesnt make as many as them.

Schnieder was the signifcant lose we had. Stupid freak injuries , if we had had Matty we couldve beaten the ducks.

I wish we could go back , healthy team vs healthy team. I say we beat them in 6 games.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news...7d-3804b1c127b0

from Friday's Edmonton Journal...

But Burke says he knew as soon as the offer sheet was faxed to his office that he probably wouldn't match. He let the week's grace period run to the end, in large part, because he had a few trade offers to try and alleviate his salary-cap problem.

....With the added salaries, plus not knowing if Niedermayer and Selanne were going to return, Burke admitted it left the Ducks open to an offer sheet.

Schneider and Bertuzzi were targets for trade requests.

"Could I have traded one of those two players and created cap room? Yes. Would that have been an unfair tactic after they agreed to come to our team? Yes. So we didn't do it," Burke said.

"We're going to take the three draft picks (first, second and third-rounders) next June and with Kevin's recent record, II expect them to be excellent picks," fired Burke, obviously referring to the Oilers missing the playoffs last spring.

So the question arises, who was the subject of trade talks, Bertuzzi or Schneider? And which teams were interested? Perhaps a deal down the road?

Edited by North Guy

IMO, Jiri Fischer is a bigger loss than Kronwall. I don't know what it is about Kronner, but he is NOT the same player for the Wings, as he is for Sweden, in international competition.

Gotta agree. I forget Kronwall is even on the team sometimes whenever I play 07 because I never have him on the team. Hes injured so often , I mean , everytime you change the channel he gets a new injury. He handles the puck terribly and is as prone to mistakes as McCabe or Breisbois, though he doesnt make as many as them.

Schnieder was the signifcant lose we had. Stupid freak injuries , if we had had Matty we couldve beaten the ducks.

I wish we could go back , healthy team vs healthy team. I say we beat them in 6 games.

If Kronwall hadn't been out, Schneider's injury would have been far less significant and the Wings probably win that series. The problem was that BOTH were out, which put Samuelsson on the point. Sammy is a mediocre passer and makes bad shot decisions...Kronwall is a much better passer and makes good enough decisions about shooting that the Ducks wouldn't have been able to key on Nick like they did with Sammy at the point.