• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingMachine91

article on reds wings and original six

Rate this topic

Everybody said the same thing about the Capitals when they traded for Jagr.

That team has been ridiculously unseccessful throughout it's entire existance. Yes, they made the Cup finals in 1998, but they haven't won a playoff series since then, haven't even made the playoffs since 2003, and are notorious for being on the receiving end of 1st round upsets whenever they do make it.

I think maybe with their new core group of players, and if their extremely high 1st round draft picks they've had pan out, they could be a force once again. Maybe.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Everybody said the same thing about the Capitals when they traded for Jagr.

That team has been ridiculously unseccessful throughout it's entire existance. Yes, they made the Cup finals in 1998, but they haven't won a playoff series since then, haven't even made the playoffs since 2003, and are notorious for being on the receiving end of 1st round upsets whenever they do make it.

I think maybe with their new core group of players, and if their extremely high 1st round draft picks they've had pan out, they could be a force once again. Maybe.

that would require them being a force at any other point in there history. Like you said, this team isn't known for there success as a franchise.

Now about this year, Yeah everybody said that about them when they got Jagr, but we both know Jagr is a highly temperamental athlete and despite being a bit cocky, i don't see AO as being like that. He's played for much crappier teams than Jagr ever will. Add that to the fact that nylander is an pure playmaker and it wouldn't surprise me to see AO win the art ross and rocket richard this year. Plus this doesn't look terrible on paper, D is a little weak but other than that they look like they could make some noise. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/was/depthchart

Edited by theman19

that would require them being a force at any other point in there history. Like you said, this team isn't known for there success as a franchise.

Now about this year, Yeah everybody said that about them when they got Jagr, but we both know Jagr is a highly temperamental athlete and despite being a bit cocky, i don't see AO as being like that. He's played for much crappier teams than Jagr ever will. Add that to the fact that nylander is an pure playmaker and it wouldn't surprise me to see AO win the art ross and rocket richard this year. Plus this doesn't look terrible on paper, D is a little weak but other than that they look like they could make some noise. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/was/depthchart

The Caps only have six defensemen and twelve forwards signed. They also happen to have around 13.5m in cap space. They need a top four defensive defenseman, and they need a top line right winger. Is it just me, or would Selanne and Markov be perfect fits?

EDIT: One other thing I have noticed about the Caps...they have the weakest future of any NHL team as far as goaltending is concerned. The only other team that has no current netminders under 30 and no goaltending prospects projected to be starters is New Jersey, who has the reigning Vezina winner in Martin Brodeur, and has former journeyman starter (and former Canucks goalie of the future) Kevin Weekes as the backup.

Edited by eva unit zero

EDIT: One other thing I have noticed about the Caps...they have the weakest future of any NHL team as far as goaltending is concerned. The only other team that has no current netminders under 30 and no goaltending prospects projected to be starters is New Jersey, who has the reigning Vezina winner in Martin Brodeur, and has former journeyman starter (and former Canucks goalie of the future) Kevin Weekes as the backup.[/font]

New Jersey still owns the contract rights to Ari Ahonen, who was their 1st round draft pick in 1999, and was projected to be the starter after Brodeur.

He's currently playing in Finland, but I'm sure he'll be brought back once Brodeur retires.

New Jersey still owns the contract rights to Ari Ahonen, who was their 1st round draft pick in 1999, and was projected to be the starter after Brodeur.

He's currently playing in Finland, but I'm sure he'll be brought back once Brodeur retires.

Ahonen is no longer listed among the prospects on NHL.com or hockeysfuture. NHL.com does list Frank Doyle, who is a year older, as a Devils prospect, and HF has said that Jeff Frazee is now looked as the goalie of the future due to the failure of Ahonen to pan out. That seems to suggest Ahonen is no longer in the Devils system.

Ahonen is no longer listed among the prospects on NHL.com or hockeysfuture. NHL.com does list Frank Doyle, who is a year older, as a Devils prospect, and HF has said that Jeff Frazee is now looked as the goalie of the future due to the failure of Ahonen to pan out. That seems to suggest Ahonen is no longer in the Devils system.

He's still an RFA who isn't under a team contract. Unless they choose to relinquish his rights, he's still technically in their system.

Frazee has been talked about more lately, so you might be right. I think he might be the one who takes the reins after Brodeur.

He's still an RFA who isn't under a team contract. Unless they choose to relinquish his rights, he's still technically in their system.

Frazee has been talked about more lately, so you might be right. I think he might be the one who takes the reins after Brodeur.

Ahonen was a group IV UFA last summer from what I can dig up. No longer Devils property.

I'd put my money on Richard Trophy.

I can't see it being anyone other than him or Heatley, but considering last 2 winners were shockers, I don't know.

He's actually playing in Sweden, isn't that good, and will be 31 years old by the time Brodeur's contract is up.