• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Ducks schedule PC for 1:30p THU

Rate this topic

Thank God. And with this being the year that Pronger starts going downhill (at a very rapid rate, I might add), the Wings will have little problem shoving them aside to win the cup. Bertuzzi and Schneider won't be invited to the after parties. Getzlaf, however, will be invited.

Guest DetroitIan

I have a weird feeling that he's coming back for one more season. I sure the hell hope Im wrong. Peace out Scotty Boy.

I still can't believe that at his age he's considering retirement, when he still has a chance to be one of the best players in the league for a number of years.

I dunno, what does he have left to prove? He's won everything and anything that an NHL player could possibly win at his position and he now has a chance to get out while he still has his health.

He's made more than enough money to keep his family living a good life from here on in, honestly, I can completely understand why he'd walk away now.

I dunno, what does he have left to prove? He's won everything and anything that an NHL player could possibly win at his position and he now has a chance to get out while he still has his health.

He's made more than enough money to keep his family living a good life from here on in, honestly, I can completely understand why he'd walk away now.

Agreed.

I have a weird feeling that he's coming back for one more season. I sure the hell hope Im wrong. Peace out Scotty Boy.

If were lucky, you and Neidamyer will be idoits. :P

Seroisly, why would you retire then? Even with a cup, wouldn't you want more? I know I would.

Or maybe I am not ok with just one cup. 3, now thats a number I can live with.

Edited by RedWingedKitten

If were lucky, you and Neidamyer will be idoits. :P

Seroisly, why would you retire then? Even with a cup, wouldn't you want more? I know I would.

Want more what? What does he have left to win or accomplish? Nothing. He's done it all and he has a chance to go out as a champion at the age of 34.

Why not? Get out while he still has his body.

Or maybe I am not ok with just one cup. 3, now thats a number I can live with.

Well, Scotty boy has four of them now.

In that case, Wayne Gretzky should have retired back in 1988, instead of going to Los Angeles. It's the hunger that keeps a player going, especially when he's still at his peak. I'm just surprised that he already seems to have lost that hunger, because plenty of players never lose it no matter what they've already accomplished.

In that case, Wayne Gretzky should have retired back in 1988, instead of going to Los Angeles. It's the hunger that keeps a player going, especially when he's still at his peak. I'm just surprised that he already seems to have lost that hunger, because plenty of players never lose it no matter what they've already accomplished.

Yeah, but Wayne was in his 20s and was chasing down Gordie Howe's records at that point.

Niedermayer is 34, he's won a Norris Trophy, Conn Smythe, four Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, World Cup....you name it. He's got more than enough money to live the rest of his life in upscale comfort and he's got his health. Perfect time to go out if you ask me. Niedermayer has nothing left to prove, nothing left to accomplish.

dude I think you answered your own question.

it is the hunger that keeps a guy like Cheli playing until 45-50 whatever he plays until, or hunger that makes Yzerman destroy his knee even further.

However in this case it would be the lack of hunger that is driving his retirement decision.

Guest Yzer19

I hope it is that he is calling it quits.

What about Selannie, any word on his future? Did he already hang them up and i missed it?

I would think he's calling it quits. Normally teams don't hold press conferences to announce that a player is re-signing with the team. If he does retire I certainly hope that Anaheim doesn't follow Colorado's bad example with Bourque and retire Niedemayer's number.

I would think he's calling it quits. Normally teams don't hold press conferences to announce that a player is re-signing with the team. If he does retire I certainly hope that Anaheim doesn't follow Colorado's bad example with Bourque and retire Niedemayer's number.

Niedermayer isnt re-signing. He would just keep playing on his current contract. The Ducks would officially be the laughing stock of the NHL if they held a press conference to announce that basically nothing is changing about Niedermayers status with the Ducks.

Hes done, which should be great news to everyone not associated with the Ducks. Losing Niedermayer takes that team down to mortal status whereas with him, they could steamroll everyone on the way to the cup. If Selanne is next to retire, the Wings will be the strongest act in the West.

He and Selanne have done the Ducks no favors having dragged this out so long. And that's fine with me. Whether he stays or goes, I still want the Ducks in the third round again.

From what I've read, Teemu has pretty much come to terms with being retired without actually officially announcing it.

From a PR standpoint, one should hope that the press conference is announcing Nieds' retirement. If they're getting everyone together to say, "Der, nothing's changing, der," that's just embarassing.

Maybe they're going to say that he's "injured" and won't be available for a while...i.e. "pulling a Forsberg".

From what I've read, Teemu has pretty much come to terms with being retired without actually officially announcing it.

From a PR standpoint, one should hope that the press conference is announcing Nieds' retirement. If they're getting everyone together to say, "Der, nothing's changing, der," that's just embarassing.

Maybe they're going to say that he's "injured" and won't be available for a while...i.e. "pulling a Forsberg".

Sounds like the presser will be to announce that he's not retired yet, but that he also won't be at training camp.

Roger Clemens has set quite the precedent.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Take the following with a grain of salt:

Scott Niedermayer still would like some time off to be with his family and away from the game. He has a talk with Brian Burke and informs him that he's going to take around 7 or 8 additional months off.

In my opinion, its quite clear that the Ducks are a playoff team even without the 2nd best defenseman in the world (Mr. Niedermayer).

So Niedermayer ends up coming back in March, and only counts towards the salary cap as a FRACTION compared to what he would have had he played a full season.

This of course, would immediately put Anaheim back as a cup contender (if they weren't one already, that is) and everyone in Anaheim would be happy!

<<Read up on sites like nhlscap.com to better understand why he'd count for less. If I interpreted it wrong, then please disregard this entire message, but I'm pretty sure I understand it properly.>>

Didn't we have a press conference for when Yzerman signed that final one-year contract?

Take the following with a grain of salt:

Scott Niedermayer still would like some time off to be with his family and away from the game. He has a talk with Brian Burke and informs him that he's going to take around 7 or 8 additional months off.

If true, then he is pulling a Forsberg. Take off the whole season, then miraculously come back in time for the playoffs. If he's not injured, that shouldn't be allowed. Either spend time with your family in retirement or be a member of the Ducks. You can't have it both ways.

I'd love to see the Ducks totally tank during the regular season (not likely, of course) and then Niedermayer doesn't have a playoff-bound team to come back to.

Wow. What a non-event for a press-conference.

The Anaheim Ducks' captain met with the media on Thursday, saying he has not yet decided on retirement, and will definitely be late to training camp should he decide to return. The Ducks begin training camp next Tuesday.

Niedermayer told reporters that he solicited for advice from Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine, as well as former New Jersey Devils teammates Scott Stevens and Ken Daneyko. The future Hall of Fame defenceman added that he was not out of shape, but was not in hockey shape and is at least a month away from returning to form.

Embarassing.