• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lebda4Pres

Grigorenko recalled from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

Some people are just amazing to me. Your ready to base a guy's entire future with the Wings over a blog or two and some hearsey from someone who went to one Grifs game.

and, I dunno, maybe the coach and general manager saying they would prefer to keep him in Grand Rapids if they could because he's a very mediocre player.

and, I dunno, maybe the coach and general manager saying they would prefer to keep him in Grand Rapids if they could because he's a very mediocre player.

Where'd you read that? From what I've read he's anything but a mediocre player, that's why they have'nt told him to go back to Russia. I could be wrong but didn't the general manager get himself in this whole mess by signing him to a contract with such a short out clause? And as far as babcock goes here's what he had to say in an october 1st article from Mlive:

But that was early in September. When the regular season begins Wednesday, Grigorenko will either begin the season with the Wings, or possibly start the season in Grand Rapids.

"He's done a good job, he's gotten better," Wings coach Mike Babcock said. Babcock even has called the improvement "drastic."

So what did he have a drastic "unimprovement". Eh, say what you will alot of people are jumping the gun, they'll be the same ones going overboard if he puts up some points one game. I don't see what's so hard about giving the guy his shot and forming your own opinions. But I guess that's just me.

Guest LivingtheDream

bringback91 is making sense here. Just wait and see what happens for crying out loud. I'd like to see him come through - heck it would be quite a story given he almost died in that car crash. Of course all of us LGW whiners could easily handle something like a near death car crash and come back to play AHL let alone NHL level hockey.

So what is the big deal if he goes back to russia? I mean honestly i have heard nothing but HIGH expectation for this kid for what like 20 years now??? and he hasn't done s*** to back any of that inflated talk up.

The only thing i see is that he will open a roster spot up that we are not wasting on him and we can stop hearing his name all the time. Not a bad trade off at all.

Do you think anyother GMs have fallen for the inflated praise for this kid? maybe we can get Ovechikin for him? Maybe even Malkin perhaps?

Edited by OsGOD

Where'd you read that? From what I've read he's anything but a mediocre player, that's why they have'nt told him to go back to Russia. I could be wrong but didn't the general manager get himself in this whole mess by signing him to a contract with such a short out clause? And as far as babcock goes here's what he had to say in an october 1st article from Mlive:

But that was early in September. When the regular season begins Wednesday, Grigorenko will either begin the season with the Wings, or possibly start the season in Grand Rapids.

"He's done a good job, he's gotten better," Wings coach Mike Babcock said. Babcock even has called the improvement "drastic."

So what did he have a drastic "unimprovement". Eh, say what you will alot of people are jumping the gun, they'll be the same ones going overboard if he puts up some points one game. I don't see what's so hard about giving the guy his shot and forming your own opinions. But I guess that's just me.

I think these are some of the comments from Holland that some people are not too excited about:

"Based on what we've seen so far, he probably needs a lot more time in Grand Rapids, but he's not prepared for that commitment, for, among other things, major financial reasons,'' Holland said. "We'll bring him here and take it a day at a time. I can't tell you where we're going to be with Igor one month from now. ... There's no guarantees. I'm not promising anybody a roster spot or minutes. It's all to be earned.''

The Red Wings are in a difficult spot with Grigorenko because he has the option to return to Russia -- where he can earn about $1 million tax-free, as opposed to around $70,000 in Grand Rapids -- if he's not on the NHL roster by the end of the month. He's been slow to adapt to the North American game, but his skills are too enticing to let get away.

"I thought he was average in the (pre-training camp) rookie tournament. He got better as training camp wore on,'' Holland said. "He showed signs in the exhibition season. You could see his hands, but the pace of the game was too much.

"How much has changed with him? Probably not a whole lot,'' Holland added. "He hasn't set that team or that league on fire (he had no points for the Griffins). It's going to be a process. ... Igor will be evaluated every day in practice.''

I think these are some of the comments from Holland that some people are not too excited about:

Yeah those have been posted a few times. Not really seeing where it says he's a mediocre player. Really what's so horrible about that article? I'm seeing things like, take it a day at a time, no guarantees, it's all to be earned, skills are too enticing to let get away, process, evaluated everyday in practice. What's he making like 850,000? He's a rookie prospect, with talent. I see alot of articles written like that about a lot of rookies, this one just happened to have a G.M. that was apperntly desprate enough to agree to a contract that would force him to put him on the roster. Seems like a smart move by Grigs to me, he made no secret he came to play in the NHL. If he's not good enough, he'll go home, really no harm no foul. I'm betting in two weeks he'll be able to beat out one of Downey or Ellis, for a spot. If I'm wrong who cares, right?

Yeah, I mean really, why should he be forced to earn a spot, when all he had to do was hold out, and force them to put him on the team, before he proved anything.

Yeah those have been posted a few times. Not really seeing where it says he's a mediocre player. Really what's so horrible about that article? I'm seeing things like, take it a day at a time, no guarantees, it's all to be earned, skills are too enticing to let get away, process, evaluated everyday in practice. What's he making like 850,000? He's a rookie prospect, with talent. I see alot of articles written like that about a lot of rookies, this one just happened to have a G.M. that was apperntly desprate enough to agree to a contract that would force him to put him on the roster. Seems like a smart move by Grigs to me, he made no secret he came to play in the NHL. If he's not good enough, he'll go home, really no harm no foul. I'm betting in two weeks he'll be able to beat out one of Downey or Ellis, for a spot. If I'm wrong who cares, right?

I agree for the most part, but you have to understand what a lot of people are feeling. I think hype is to blame more than anything. A lot of people around here have been hearing about this guy and how good is and will be for the Wings for a long time now. A lot of people expected (due to the hype) for him to come in this year and be somewhat of an impact player (if you recall some of the discussions earlier in the summer, some were hoping he would be a 20-30 goal scorer, this year). That type of thinking probably isn't fair, but that's the way it goes. Neither Zetterberg or Datsyuk came in with any type of serious hype from what I can remember, therefore, it was no big deal if they didn't make an immediate impact (also, they were able to crack the lineup right away...on deeper rosters).

Consider Crosby for example. Think back a couple years. Now, obviously Crosby was coming with much more hype, but let's ignore that for a minute. There were many people suggesting Crosby wasn't going to live up to the hype, etc., etc. What do you think would have happened if Crosby didn't make the team a couple years ago? He would have been teared to shreds by the critics. Again, it probably wouldn't have been fair, considered he was 18 and never played in the league before, but it's because of the hype.

Back with Dats and Z, the coaching staff and scouts made the determinations that they should make the roster immediately. With Grigs, he's forced their hand. I'm sure if Babs wanted Grigs on the roster, Grigs wouldn't have had to invoke the whole "I don't wanna play in GR" clause. Babs would have pulled him up on his own.

If Igor can improve his skating, he will be a force. Improve his skating and EVERYTHING else will fall into place.

Question is, can he improve in time or give up, pack up, and go home?

I hope he stays and improves!

Here's a problem though. Biggest difference between being a star in the AHL and cracking an NHL lineup? - Skating.

Yeah but in all fairness Hudler can't skate and he's been gifted a 2nd line spot.

Also a big reason why Hudler was a star in the AHL, but hasn't really been able to flourish in the NHL.

Skating is not always the most important thing, but as a general rule, you need to be a good skater to make the leap to the NHL.

Certain players in certain situations can get away with poor skating (Andreychuk for example).

Certain players in certain situations can get away with poor skating (Andreychuk for example).

Larinov, Robataille, Homer, there is a list but I agree it is a small list of poor skating guys who make the big show and the ones who do usually have another attribute that is so glaring it gets them to the show.

Larinov a great passer, truly gifted. Probably unfair to judge his skating ability considering his age when he crossed the pond.

Robataille pure gaol scoring talent, give this guy Bure's wheels and Oh man what a player he would have been.

Homer, well does anyone really want to stand where he stands.

Grigs will have to show some form of an exceptional skill to get some serious ice time. Otherwise it will probably just be so that the wings can say they gave him the opportunity.

I had high hopes for him, but I am not devastated that he isn't reaching them. Not everyone can be a Dats or Zata.

Guest jaytan

If he goes back to russia this year..

is he still ours? or is he a fa?

Why would we still want him?

I believe it was a one year contract and if he goes back they are done with him, I would imagine, unless he goes back and destroys the Russian Elite League, but even then you would have to ask yourself why would he tear that league up and not succeed in the NHL.

Guest nutz2u
:D How bout we get him some a those skates with heated blades, then he'll be the second coming of Fedorov.

He already is Sergei Fedorov, except that none of his so-called talent ever shows up on the ice.

Yes, he is Fedorov. We get it. All Russians are greedy, spoiled, and only use their talent when it suits them. Hardy har har. Except, Fedorov:

- has 3 Cups

- has the Hart

- has the Selke

- has a Pearson

- finished 2nd in voting for the Conn Smythe

- is the highest scoring Russian EVER

- will eventually pass Mogilny for most goals scored by a Russian

and

- played on the Red Wings

He already is Sergei Fedorov, except that none of his so-called talent ever shows up on the ice.

Amen. WHoever said "Dats was the same way" doesn't know what they're talking about. Dats was never flat lazy and useless. This guy WAS a good player, but he's shown no talent since he's gotten here. He didn't have what it took to make the team, and anyone who has no desire to improve his trade will be a cancer in the locker room. Frankly, a guy who comes in here thinking he's a star isn't needed. I'm a fan of the humble, work your ass off to get where you are and earn your place type players.

Brett Lebda never once in his entire career in Grand Rapids looked like he should ever be an NHL player. Now he's in the NHL, and many of you think he's a better defenseman than a guy who has been recognized as one of the best defensemen in the world in international tournaments.

Give Grigs a chance.

People around here have been so jaded by 'greedy Russians' that the fact that he has a clause in his contract about returning to play in Russia if he's not in the NHL means he wants to leave.

Here's some info for everybody:

Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg both had clauses in their rookie deals that said they either made the team RIGHT AWAY, or they could play in their homeland. Grigorenko is in the AHL right now...if he had the same sort of clause as Dats or Z, HE'D BE IN RUSSIA RIGHT NOW. Does that mean Dats and Z were all about the benjamins? No, it means they didn't want to come over to be minor leaguers. Same can be said for Grigs. And guess what? All this venom being spewed at Grigs about his contract clause? Try aiming it at Dats and Z, and see if you feel the same way. I think people are more pissed off that Grigs isn't an instant star than they are about the chance he could go back to Russia.

Difference is they earned a spot in training cmap. Just sad when you see other prospects coming up t he right way, through the AHL unless their talent surpasses it. By all indications at this point Igor hasn't proven that. I wonder if Yzerman would've put him in his place.