• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian Geek

Meech - Send down? Offer up?

Rate this topic

Meech has been solid, Over the past games you've seen his confidence grow, when he handles the puck, Hopefully that continues.

Sure he wont be a cornerstone for us, But he will be a serviceable player in the nhl.

I 100& agree with you here. Meech has been playing well while he has been in, especially considering he has barey played this year, and is still in game shape. Too often on these boards if a defenseman isn't a big hitter or an offensive force he is chalked up to being bad. The same happens to Lebda, and even to a forward in Draper. These players are not big hitters, and they are not offensive, but they are all really solid on defence, and in terms of Meech as long as he is playing solid defense, he is doing his job as a DEFENCEman....

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I've seen NOTHING this season to make me believe in the allure of Derek Meech. I don't see him bringing anything valuable to the team everytime I watch him. WTF happened to Kyle Quincey? I'd rather have him up on the D-line and either drop Meech back down to GR or offer him as part of a trade proposal.

First time posting.I live in Vancouver but I am a huge Red Wing fan(10 years plus).I have been exposed to watching painful hockey from the Canucks for years.As far as Meech goes I think he has potential down the road,seems as though he could be a good puck moving defensemen.I think he has more potential than Quincey.

Trade bait for a top six forward or top four defensemen would be Quincey, Samuallsen (sorry about the spelling), Drake, Ellis, Lebda, Lilja, Maltby.

Any thoughts?

Careful...people will take you serious. Everyone should know you're kidding. We could get Hossa and Kovy for Meech.

That's exactly why I said it. It's funny to see how the people here can go from a seemingly normal person into a blood thirsty goblin just because someone makes a trade proposal that's meant to be a joke anyways.

Meech has the potential to garner a 5th rd pick if you're lucky, and thats about it. I'd take the pick, because he's not good enough to ever have a permanent place here anyway.

Meech has the potential to garner a 5th rd pick if you're lucky, and thats about it. I'd take the pick, because he's not good enough to ever have a permanent place here anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. Look at how many s***ty, useless players are currently clogging up the Wings roster as it is. Nothing will stop Meech from having a spot on this team... NOTHING! :D

I wouldn't go that far. Look at how many s***ty, useless players are currently clogging up the Wings roster as it is. Nothing will stop Meech from having a spot on this team... NOTHING! :D

Well they have (had) useless guys at forward, but on defense they usually at least offer something. Meech will NEVER crack the top 6 imo, and he doesnt offer anything unique such as being big or really physical to warrant him being kept around as a 7th. Just get rid of him, i see no point in keeping him around. Or just try sending him down, its a coin flip whether he'd even be claimed anyway.

Well they have (had) useless guys at forward, but on defense they usually at least offer something. Meech will NEVER crack the top 6 imo, and he doesnt offer anything unique such as being big or really physical to warrant him being kept around as a 7th. Just get rid of him, i see no point in keeping him around. Or just try sending him down, its a coin flip whether he'd even be claimed anyway.

I think that Meech has done nothing to warrant criticism in his time here. In very few games played he has stayed in game shape, and been ready to play with these injuries, not only that, he hasn't made any HUGE mistakes that Ive seen. Its his first year and he is young, and is barely playing. Give him a chance before you condemn his career to the AHL

Meech should be expendable. Everyone and their brother knows Quincey is the defensemen of the future out of our current crop of minors. Everyone else is just killing time til he's ready to come up full-time. Which should be next season.

Meech should be expendable. Everyone and their brother knows Quincey is the defensemen of the future out of our current crop of minors. Everyone else is just killing time til he's ready to come up full-time. Which should be next season.

I vote for Ericsson and Kindl over Quincey.

Ericsson, Quincy and Kindl next year, as well as Smith in 2 years time will ALL be improvements over Meech, there is no reason to waste a roster spot on him... he needs to get shipped out when we can still get ANYTHING of value for him, whether it's in a package, or just for a pick

i haven't seen meech play much this season (since i don't get to watch many games) but i remember being impressed by quincey in the playoffs last year. (not impressed in the sense that he did anything amazing but impressed in the sense that he was filling big shoes and didn't f*** up, which a lot of our regulars were doing with consistency.) if we can't send him back down, and we have guys that will be able to fill out the d for a few seasons, i'd be fine with trading him. sounds like he might have at least some trade value to other teams, but wouldn't kill us to let go of. i mean, if we want someone good, we're going to have to trade SOMEthing. *shrug*

Do not speak of what you do not know.

Quincey, Meech, Lebda are all expandable and I think will be on another team if not at the end of this year than definitely at the end of next.

Kindl and Ericsson seem to be the D-men that are destined to stay for a while.

As it is (with a healthy Kronwall) there is only room for one of these 5 D-men at a time. Meech has shown he is servicable and would probably be the difference between a trade happening and not happening.

Not the cornerstone but lets say Det offers Sammy, Huds, Lebda, picks for Stuart and Cammer, LA may comes back and say we need something more. That is were a Meech or Quincey (possibly both) could make or break the deal.

Odds are though the grouping I offered up would make LA pee their pants laughing. I was just trying to make an example.

Better example:

Sammy, Flip, Lilja for Hossa, Atl wants something a little more throw in Quincey.

Guest Crymson
Quincey, Meech, Lebda are all expandable and I think will be on another team if not at the end of this year than definitely at the end of next.

Kindl and Ericsson seem to be the D-men that are destined to stay for a while.

As it is (with a healthy Kronwall) there is only room for one of these 5 D-men at a time. Meech has shown he is servicable and would probably be the difference between a trade happening and not happening.

Not the cornerstone but lets say Det offers Sammy, Huds, Lebda, picks for Stuart and Cammer, LA may comes back and say we need something more. That is were a Meech or Quincey (possibly both) could make or break the deal.

Odds are though the grouping I offered up would make LA pee their pants laughing. I was just trying to make an example.

Better example:

Sammy, Flip, Lilja for Hossa, Atl wants something a little more throw in Quincey.

So, in exchange for one of the top players on earth, they'd get:

1) An extremely spotty player who sometimes scores, sometimes doesn't. A habitual 3rd-liner.

2) Filppula, who is good but doesn't really have the glaring potential to make him valuable yet.

3) A turnover-prone defenseman on the last year of his current contract.

And, if those three not-so-gems aren't enough for them to offer up said extremely-good player, we'll add in:

4) A presently-average defenseman.

This is a laughable deal. So sorry, but deadline deals will actually require us to trade away players and prospects who will most likely be valuable players in the future. People saw this this season when Matthias took the ice for the first time, and it's something that many on this board don't stop to think about when they talk about deadline deals. Whomever we trade away, odds are that we WILL miss them down the line. Count on it.

Edited by Crymson

I think that Meech has done nothing to warrant criticism in his time here. In very few games played he has stayed in game shape, and been ready to play with these injuries, not only that, he hasn't made any HUGE mistakes that Ive seen. Its his first year and he is young, and is barely playing. Give him a chance before you condemn his career to the AHL

Sorry, but I already did so. Looks like that's where he'll end up. ;)

I honestly can't see how Meech will ever forage an NHL career, unless the Wings continue to shove useless players on their roster to "fill holes". The guy is small, has very little offensive capabilities, not great defensivily, and is far from physical. The only reason his juniors numbers were any good was that his defensive partner was Dion Phaneuf. A bag of beans could get noticed if playing with a player like Phaneuf. Why do you think he was drafted in the top 10, and makes almost 7 million a season now?

Meech is garbage. You know, I've never been a big fan of players who only make the team because they would otherwise have to be placed on waivers (Kopecky), and it's no different with Meech. If he could still be sent down to GR, that's where he would be, because he is not an NHL defenseman.

Sorry, but I already did so. Looks like that's where he'll end up. ;)

I honestly can't see how Meech will ever forage an NHL career, unless the Wings continue to shove useless players on their roster to "fill holes". The guy is small, has very little offensive capabilities, not great defensivily, and is far from physical. The only reason his juniors numbers were any good was that his defensive partner was Dion Phaneuf. A bag of beans could get noticed if playing with a player like Phaneuf. Why do you think he was drafted in the top 10, and makes almost 7 million a season now?

Meech is garbage. You know, I've never been a big fan of players who only make the team because they would otherwise have to be placed on waivers (Kopecky), and it's no different with Meech. If he could still be sent down to GR, that's where he would be, because he is not an NHL defenseman.

He hasn't been given a chance to be yet. The guy needs to actually prove he can't play in the NHL before that is what people make his career potential. I have been impressed with his play while Kronner has been out. And in terms of career potential.

Tsn.ca

Career potential No. 5 or 6 defenseman.

That is all I feel he is too, but a team that spends 17 million on its top 3 defenseman needs number 5 or 6 defenseman that play for not much money. Meech could become a solid 3rd pair defenseman, and I don't think that 18 games is a fair judge of whether or not a 23 year old is destined to spend his career in the AHL. Its not prelockout anymore a team cant carry 6 topnotch defenseman. To pay Lids Rafi Dats and Zetterberg the Wings will ALWAYS have filler players on the roster, the other option is to let some of those guys go. What's your choice?

Edited for Clarity

Edited by russianswede919293