• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

How long will Jimmy Howard stay up?

Rate this topic

Whatever buddy, no one is saying Howard is El Salvador and should be our starter. We're simply saying at this point, Howard is equal to if not going to be more reliable then Ozzie.

As result, since Ozzie to the general NHL is worth more, trade him for some more skill and him backing up Hasek will suffice in the playoffs.

Of all the goalies you mentioned above aside from Joseph, Hasek, and Vernon I wouldn't consider any to be Elite. And of these three, we had none of them starting in their prime for us. This is why we haven't had a Vezina winning goalie in Detroit since Terry Sawchuck. We've never had an Top Notch Goalie in his prime with the Wings in a long, long time. As result, we've often fond ourselves bombing in the playoffs and early after having a stellar season.

And I don't want us being the Pats of the NHL.

oh good, it's you again ... are you basing howard's superior reliability on one full game and 2 partial games??? come on dude, i didn't hear you call ozzie "average" when we were winning, if that was all about the team in front of him and ozzie was just getting lucky why weren't you suggesting we trade him then?? ... we're not trading ozzie, we're not trading dom, howard is going back to GR when dom is healthy, we'll have a strong goaltending tandem going into the playoffs, and howard will get his shot when dom retires ...

Edited by lets go pavel

Listen guys, I am a huge supporter of J-ho and want to see him win a cup for the wings, but not this year. But here are some of my thoughts and as I said I am 100% behind this kid:

A) He doesn't have the experience to lead a team in the post season.

B) He has started one game and played 2 partial games, lets give him 25 -30 games before we anoint him the savor.

C) He looked confident and comfortable, which will be a great asset next year when he backs up Ozzie.

D) He needs to earn the roster spot, let him take the spot away from Ozzie next year, do not hand the job to him. If he has to work for it, once he gets it hopefully the work ethic that got the job for him will stay there.

E) He is only 24 and goalies tend to develop later than skaters, there is no need to rush him.

F) Every team and every player will go through struggles and young teams and players go through growing pains, which include having a stellar night followed by a crappy night. A game where they look like things have finally clicked followed a suckfest.

Anyone notice the tone Babs used when Pierre asked him about Jimmy's play and Babs made the comment about he was supposed to be the starter 3 years ago. What was that? Is he trying to plant a seed for next year in Jimmy's brain.

The team has made multiple public statements this year about Jimmy needing to prove he is ready, that he should be a starter already, etc. What are they trying to accomplish by this, or are they just frustrated that the 64th overall pick isn't ready yet?

Also that one goal he did give up (and this is nitpicking) he should have made the glove save on the original shot, I know it went right by Lilja's leg but he saw it and watched into his wrist protector instead of the web of the glove!

Edited by Opie

Whatever buddy, no one is saying Howard is El Salvador and should be our starter. We're simply saying at this point, Howard is equal to if not going to be more reliable then Ozzie.

As result, since Ozzie to the general NHL is worth more, trade him for some more skill and him backing up Hasek will suffice in the playoffs.

Of all the goalies you mentioned above aside from Joseph, Hasek, and Vernon I wouldn't consider any to be Elite. And of these three, we had none of them starting in their prime for us. This is why we haven't had a Vezina winning goalie in Detroit since Terry Sawchuck. We've never had an Top Notch Goalie in his prime with the Wings in a long, long time. As result, we've often fond ourselves bombing in the playoffs and early after having a stellar season.

.....We're simply saying at this point ???.....

Who's we ?

....since Ozzie to the general NHL is worth more.....

If you are so convinced that Chris Osgood is an average goalie and whatnot, why is he worth more to the general NHL ?

And what is the general NHL ?

And stop saying Top Notch Goalie... I really don't know who or what that is.

oh good, it's you again ... are you basing howard's superior reliability on one full game and 2 partial games??? come on dude, i didn't hear you call ozzie "average" when we were winning, if that was all about the team in front of him and ozzie was just getting lucky why weren't you suggesting we trade him then?? ... we're not trading ozzie, we're not trading dom, howard is going back to GR when dom is healthy, we'll have a strong goaltending tandem going into the playoffs, and howard will get his shot when dom retires ...

Ozzie's always been average, always, I'm not saying he's not, but when your winning all the time you don't need really play around with your team much.

But when your losing, you need to question if I had an elite goalie, could we have turned a few of those Losses into Wins, and the answer is yes, or at least boosted the teams confidence.

When your outshooting your opponent by more then any other team in the league and you can't have Ozzie come up with a few big time saves, then he's average.

Howard looked great yesterday and made a couple of those saves were the other team should have scored, like with couple breakaways we had, Turco made the stops.

Trade Ozzie and get something in return, we're better of with Hasek and Howard backing him up. Heck, you could probably even re-sign Hasek next year with Howard playing 60% of the time. We need a change, we can't live in the past and should never have brought Average Ozzie back. Howard should have been up earlier backing up Hasek to begin with. Period.

Next, we need Sundin, and by sounds of a Report today Detroit is the one place Sundin would really want to go if he didn't have a choice. I really hope we get him, he's the size and skill we need. Since osgood is amazing, maybe trade him for Toskala while were at it. He's obviously better and cheaper. Why wouldn't the leafs do it then??? :rolleyes:

Ozzie's always been average, always, I'm not saying he's not, but when your winning all the time you don't need really play around with your team much.

But when your losing, you need to question if I had an elite goalie, could we have turned a few of those Losses into Wins, and the answer is yes, or at least boosted the teams confidence.

When your outshooting your opponent by more then any other team in the league and you can't have Ozzie come up with a few big time saves, then he's average.

Howard looked great yesterday and made a couple of those saves were the other team should have scored, like with couple breakaways we had, Turco made the stops.

Trade Ozzie and get something in return, we're better of with Hasek and Howard backing him up. Heck, you could probably even re-sign Hasek next year with Howard playing 60% of the time. We need a change, we can't live in the past and should never have brought Average Ozzie back. Howard should have been up earlier backing up Hasek to begin with. Period.

Next, we need Sundin, and by sounds of a Report today Detroit is the one place Sundin would really want to go if he didn't have a choice. I really hope we get him, he's the size and skill we need. Since osgood is amazing, maybe trade him for Toskala while were at it. He's obviously better and cheaper. Why wouldn't the leafs do it then??? :rolleyes:

so basically as long as we win you're fine with ozzie, but if we lose it's his fault because he's not elite ... is howard elite? or should we try to trade him next time he has a bad game too? did you want us to trade dom at the beginning of the year when he was struggling? and toskala ... nevermind.

so basically as long as we win you're fine with ozzie, but if we lose it's his fault because he's not elite ... is howard elite? or should we try to trade him next time he has a bad game too? did you want us to trade dom at the beginning of the year when he was struggling? and toskala ... nevermind.

:thumbup: Bravo! :clap:

Is this part of your stand up routine or are you for real ?

So what does everyone else think of Howards future this year and next?

This year, his NHL stint ends with Haseks return

Nex year, his NHL stint depends on a Hasek return

so basically Hasek controls Howards Future :D

You aren't old enough to remember when Ozzie was in Yimmy's situation... as the looked up savior for the team... are you? such a shame... it really is, you missed some good times

Edited by OsGOD

This year, his NHL stint ends with Haseks return

Nex year, his NHL stint depends on a Hasek return

so basically Hasek controls Howards Future :D

You aren't old enough to remember when Ozzie was in Yimmy's situation... as the looked up savior for the team... are you? such a shame... it really is, you missed some good times

If its Ozzie and Howard, they will split the time like Hasek and Ozzie have done this year. They are wanting Howard to be able to take over the # 1 spot in a year or two. If that does happen remains to be seen, because from comments made from Babcock and the front office, Howard was running out of chances going into this season. Ryan Miller (Buffalo) will be a free agent in that time frame, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to get the local boy to come home to Michigan if Howard doesn't pan out.

I love how people toss around the phrases Top Notch and Elite.

Do you know what makes a guy an elite player, that means there are only a handful of other guys that can do what they do. For instance lets say that the past 2 years the elite netminders for both seasons are:

Luongo and then, and then and then, NO AND THEN!!!

*You would have to say that (stats wise) Osgood and Hasek are two of the best in the league. No other goalie has stood on his head quite like Luongo (Tim Thomas, Leclair, Osgood, Hasek, Miller, etc. at times but not consistently).

So lets examine what Top Notch means, top Notch to me means the same as elite, but lets say for arguments sake it means top 5, well technically the wings have at least one top notch goaltender.

Either way saying the wings need an Elite goaltender to win the cup is a false statement, proven by the fact that Luongo has been an Elite goaltender for a few years now and has exactly how many cups?

It is the same as saying the wings need an enforcer to win the cup, not really because said enforcer will not see the ice in the playoffs.

What a team needs is balance, they have to have a balanced amount of: grit, talent, speed, size, dedication and most importantly of all they must have the heart. These are needs. Saying they need an Elite goaltender is a false statement, because no matter how hot he was last season Giguere is not an Elite goaltender. Obviously he is good enough to back stop a team to a cup, but by no means is he ELITE!

*Edit= At this point I am talking about this year! clarity is a bit@@

Edited by Opie

Either way saying the wings need an Elite goaltender to win the cup is a false statement, proven by the fact that Luongo has been an Elite goaltender for a few years now and has exactly how many cups?

You have to cut Robby some slack... he is only 0 for 1 in the playoff department. Without a decent team in front of him his "eliteness" didn't allow this top notch goalie to even make the playoffs the other years :lol: Rock on Robbie!

Edited by OsGOD

You have to cut Robby some slack... he is only 0 for 1 in the playoff department. Without a decent team in front of him his "eliteness" didn't allow this top notch goalie to even make the playoffs the other years :lol: Rock on Robbie!

He's the best goalie in the NHL, and without him the Nucks would be farther out than they are of the playoff hunt. Nucks aren't very good at all. Florida was a bad situation, Keenan (when he was there) with his usual BS, lots of players who were under 25 years old, wasn't much Luongo could do except lead the league in saves.

Welcome to Detroit !

Jimmy Howard is El Salvador right now... but believe you me: If he has two or three mediocre games or let's in a stoppable goal he'll be stoned to death by everyone.

That how nice we are with to goaltenders.

Whether his name is Cheveldae, Essensa, Ing, Jospeh, Hasek, Osgood, Stefan, Vernon, Howard or Legace.

Nothing less than a Vezina-worthy and Stanley Cup winning season is good enough.

Oh common, Cheveldae was a saint! He should have won at least 3 Vezina's in his career. :ph34r:

Edited by Yzerfan1999