195 replies to this topic

#61 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Viperar @ February 27, 2008 - 01:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you sound like an emo spoiled brat who is never happy with what he has.

Are you a poet, that was perfectly said!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#62 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Viperar @ February 26, 2008 - 07:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you sound like an emo spoiled brat who is never happy with what he has.

I'll agree with you somewhat, but I just don't want to see another President's trophy coupled with a 1st round playoff exit. I've seen too many of those already with this team.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#63 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ February 26, 2008 - 08:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll agree with you somewhat, but I just don't want to see another President's trophy coupled with a 1st round playoff exit. I've seen too many of those already with this team.

notice i said you sound like one, not that you are one. I respect you as a poster, but cmon man wink.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ February 26, 2008 - 07:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you a poet, that was perfectly said!

Thanks Opie, but your "Sammy is good" posts are way more poetic. Even Shakespeare couldn't think of anything good to write about Sammy.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

damn I know, I was able to make all these trades for nothing on NHL 2008 so dammit Holland should too....

Seriously get a damned grip people.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#66 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Excuse me... maybe I am sleep deprived but this is all apples and oranges.
Aquiring new players does not equal injuries being miraculously healed.
Would it have been nice to get some new blood? Sure. But would that have been the answer to our injuries? Nope.

Injuries heal.
Just chill ya'll.
We'll be fine.

I need a drink... or a tylenol .... or a nap.
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#67 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ February 26, 2008 - 06:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you. I think a lot of us have post traumatic stress disorder from so many first round disappointments.

But I just don't like threads like this. It's easy to root for the worst. And what's the joy in it? So people can gloat if they do get knocked out?

The odds of winning a Cup in any given year are very low for any team. I'd rather be hoping for the best (even if in the back of my mind I'm thinking "please not again") and have those hopes, no matter how ridiculous they are, confirmed.

I'm not that happy with this lineup, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the team all postseason.

#68 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

I agree that there's a good chance we'll see another playoff exit, just for a different reason. I don't think secondary scoring should be as much of a concern, the forwards will wake up eventually. Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, and all the other guys contributed in the playoffs last year, so why should this season be any different? Toughness and grit..it's definitely going to be an issue but we didn't look too bad in that regard last year against the Ducks. Nothing can be done about it anyway..that's just how this team is built.

I think the reason we will lose is because we're going to get outcoached. I've probably complained about Babcock a million times here and noone seems to care. He never does anything to take advantage of the other team's playing style. A good coach will adapt and take advantage of the opponent's flaws. Take tonight's game against Edmonton, for example... They know we have 4 inexperienced defensemen playing so they're sending 3 guys out to forecheck and pressuring us like crazy. When has Babcock done anything like that? If we're not playing well, his only answer is to blindly change the lines and split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I've never heard Babcock say, "That's how they play so this is what we're going to do to take advantage of that." All he ever says is "This is what we always do so let's do it again tonight. Oh..and work harder."
Most teams have already figured out that our offense heavily depends on the blue line. They know we're going to shoot the puck from a distance and look for rebounds, so they go down and block our shots. What does Babcock do? He tells Samuelsson to shoot more.

#69 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Salviaman @ February 26, 2008 - 02:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have the best team in the NHL when we don't have injuries, but we do have INJURIES and we needed to fix them with new players which Holland did not do as promised. That being said I agree with you guys that we needed to add a scorer like a Satan or a Hossa. I have lost faith in Holland and I hope that the door hits him in the ass when he steps down/or gets fired as GM for another 1st round playoff exit. The farthest I see this current team making it this year is the 2nd round thats it. Holland needs to step down as GM. dry.gif

THIS TEAM has had it's best shot to win the cup in years, and it would of helped to get a top 6 forward onto this team but Holland lied to the fans again. As much as it hates me to say this, we will not be a REAL playoff team come April. We are soft, we get pushed around. The time to add a elite forward was now and we didn't do it so now we will pay the price for it. If Holland thinks McCarty is some sort of Hockey God and Stuart is the 2nd coming of Scott Stevens then kudos to him, but the real REALITY of the situation is very gloomy and grim. It is a sad day to be a Wings fan today. Thanks Kenny Holland, thanks a lot buddy. ranting.gif

I actually feel sorry for the fans in the Detroit area who have to pay out the butt to see the Wings lose another 1st round playoff series. mad.gif

I am growing fairly pissed off at all of these people who want to trash this team. Your suposed to support your team when its good and bad. Use a different forum. Good bye!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#70 StevieY19

StevieY19

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

The red wings are far and away the best team in the league, we are better than last year and we have added grit (Downey, Drake, Stuart, Mac!) No early exit this year, hate to burst your pessimistic bubble

#71 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Salviaman @ February 26, 2008 - 02:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have the best team in the NHL when we don't have injuries, but we do have INJURIES and we needed to fix them with new players which Holland did not do as promised. That being said I agree with you guys that we needed to add a scorer like a Satan or a Hossa. I have lost faith in Holland and I hope that the door hits him in the ass when he steps down/or gets fired as GM for another 1st round playoff exit. The farthest I see this current team making it this year is the 2nd round thats it. Holland needs to step down as GM. dry.gif

THIS TEAM has had it's best shot to win the cup in years, and it would of helped to get a top 6 forward onto this team but Holland lied to the fans again. As much as it hates me to say this, we will not be a REAL playoff team come April. We are soft, we get pushed around. The time to add a elite forward was now and we didn't do it so now we will pay the price for it. If Holland thinks McCarty is some sort of Hockey God and Stuart is the 2nd coming of Scott Stevens then kudos to him, but the real REALITY of the situation is very gloomy and grim. It is a sad day to be a Wings fan today. Thanks Kenny Holland, thanks a lot buddy. ranting.gif

I actually feel sorry for the fans in the Detroit area who have to pay out the butt to see the Wings lose another 1st round playoff series. mad.gif

Your a load that should have been swallowed!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#72 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

Totally agree Salviaman. This team has no chance of getting past the first round this year. I was hoping we could but going by the past ten games - NO WAY!!

I guess the only way we might stand a chance is if Lidstrom, Rafalski, Hasek, Kronwall, Cleary, Stuart and Chelios have some sort of impact when they return. Who knows, we might get lucky and they'll help the team out a bit.

Fingers crossed our five best defensemen, number 1 goalie and third best forward can make a difference. Hope and pray people, hope and pray.
Rough as guts.

#73 Must Kill

Must Kill

Co Founder of the Mr Wiseman and Tweek Show

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

i can see why peeps are mad we didnt get sudin, hossa, or feds. Then all of a sudden were not good enough to make it out of the first round. We are currently the best team in the league i say why fix something thats not broken.

i still believe this is the season the cup goes back to detroit

#74 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Must Kill @ February 26, 2008 - 09:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can see why peeps are mad we didnt get sudin, hossa, or feds. Then all of a sudden were not good enough to make it out of the first round. We are currently the best team in the league i say why fix something thats not broken.

i still believe this is the season the cup goes back to detroit

yah honestly, once we are healthy again, I see no reason why the path of destruction shall not be repaved. We still can take it for sure.

#75 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (HockeyCrazy3033 @ February 26, 2008 - 06:36PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fact of the matter is, this Wings team is a BETTER team than last years. Yeah that's right. Read it again, let it process through your brain, and then maybe some of you will get it.

I get it. But you do realize that there will be 15 other teams that this year's Wings will need to be better than?

Doesn't matter what you have, but what you do with it.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#76 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (ShanahanMan @ February 26, 2008 - 07:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, and to add to that, we have ONE line tha is scoring. We desperately needed another scoring forward, and the fact that we had $5 million of cap space and that Holland SPECIFICALLY said in the off-season he saved room for a scorer at the deadline. He didn't pull the trigger...

enough said, right there... we had money in the off season to spend to give a guy like Markov the meesly $2m he wanted, or bring someone else in, but we held onto it. We need depth and secondary scoring, both which have been sorely lacking as of late. I'm not going to "panic" or speak doom, but if this team doesn't get healthy sometime soon, and I mean REAL healthy, they are never gonna have a prayer at the cup. I try to stay positive, and I definately didn't want to give up much and make a huge deal for a rental, and I'm certainly not going to be one that says "f*** Kenny, he sucks, fire him", but if you weren't disappointed that the Wings didn't pick up someone to provide secondary scoring, you're a fool.

#77 RainingBlood

RainingBlood

Well thats my momma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (redwing_sparty @ February 26, 2008 - 07:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh give me af****** break. i'm sure u were singing holland's praises when he signed rafalski and made some of the other amazing deals he has done in the past. if we can only win when dzh score then how the hell did we win all those games earlier this season? there are other guys on this team with 20+ goals.
and btw we totally would have beat anaheim last year if homer had changed the angle on his stick slightly when he slid a puck behind jsg that just happend to slip all the way through the crease in game 5. i can attest to this as i was at the game and it happened right in front of me. we outplayed them the whole series except for game 6. they caught breaks and thats the way hockey is. look at the goal calgary scored, and the first goal vancouver got. those were crap goals but thats what happens.

Like I said in the past if Lilja didnt turn the puck over in game 5 with under a minute to go, when he fed Selanne with a beautiful pass to beat Dom. Like I said to bad it was to the wrongf****** team. You win game 5 game 6 is all but your's. But facing elimanation down 3-2 going back to the pond, it was all but over. With the case of Lilja in game 5, He got the go ahead goal, and then gave up the game trying goal. I have never seen a person go from hero to goat in a 3 minute span.

Edited by RainingBlood, 27 February 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#78 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (b.shanafan14 @ February 27, 2008 - 12:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
enough said, right there... we had money in the off season to spend to give a guy like Markov the meesly $2m he wanted, or bring someone else in, but we held onto it. We need depth and secondary scoring, both which have been sorely lacking as of late. I'm not going to "panic" or speak doom, but if this team doesn't get healthy sometime soon, and I mean REAL healthy, they are never gonna have a prayer at the cup. I try to stay positive, and I definately didn't want to give up much and make a huge deal for a rental, and I'm certainly not going to be one that says "f*** Kenny, he sucks, fire him", but if you weren't disappointed that the Wings didn't pick up someone to provide secondary scoring, you're a fool.

Markov wanted $4m. Had he been willing to sign for $2m, he'd have been in Detroit as Holland offered him close to $3m.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#79 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (miller76 @ February 26, 2008 - 10:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your a load that should have been swallowed!

First you say "Use a different forum. Good bye!" Then you have to add this comment? NICE!! Does it make you feel better to insult others? Does it make you feel like a real man? If so then keep them coming buddy cause I enjoy reading your senseless posts. Oh and enjoy living in that that s**thole called Southern California. I hope a Hispanic steals your job at In-N-Out Burger you prick. laugh.gif

Wasn't it fun watching the Wings blow yet another game tonight? What is our record the past 10 games? 1-7-2? Hurray! Now maybe this team can just lay down so Dallas can take the #1 spot.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#80 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ February 26, 2008 - 04:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too early to write them off. But I will tell you this; Z, Dats and Homer are going to be carrying a heavy, heavy load in the playoffs. If they don't score then a first round exit could be possible.

The same could be said about the top three on any team, thus rendering your concern mundane.