• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Wings vs Avs, Game 6, 1997 WCF

Rate this topic

If you think we miss those days, think how the Avs fans must feel! Speaking of feeling, this game brings back the pure hatred for Colorado. f*** you Roy. Sure, I respected them, even feared them, but what assholes. Nothing beats them seeing crying over losing it to Detroit.

Seeing that makes me very happy we didn't somehow end up with Adam Foote at the trade deadline. It seems trivial now, but there was speculation...

If you think we miss those days, think how the Avs fans must feel! Speaking of feeling, this game brings back the pure hatred for Colorado. f*** you Roy. Sure, I respected them, even feared them, but what assholes. Nothing beats them seeing crying over losing it to Detroit.

Seeing that makes me very happy we didn't somehow end up with Adam Foote at the trade deadline. It seems trivial now, but there was speculation...

i agree. i hated how some people wanted foote and forsberg at the deadline, saying who cares, the rivalry is over. but u know what, it may be dying, but that history will always be there, and boy would it of tarnished all of those days knowing that foote or fors ended up playing for the red wings and helping them win a cup. i dont think me, or any avs fans, or the players could deal with that. so good riddance. and on a side note. from an avs fan perspective, i bet it was cool seeing them getting the band back together for one last playoff run. i wish the wings did that even though it would make the team worse

A couple things stick out in that memory.

1) as mentioned earlier, NHL on ESPN music was the greatest thing ever

2) I remember watching this game in high school, I was at my buddy's house and when Yzerman caught the post we freaked out so bad that his mom busted in and thought we were throwing down :lol:

3)Also as mentioned earlier, if the rules of today were enforced that game would have been unplayable rofl

Good times, good times.

Ahhhhh....the Lapointe goal that ripped off Patty's velcro extension to his catching glove. I have never forgotten that goal. For some reason I've always remembered exactly how it happened (only thing is, I sometimes mix it up and think it happened in the Crawford-meltdown game.)

I really miss Gary Thorne's play by play. One of the very best. He's got a crystal-clear, Harwell-esque voice; he doesn't tell irrelevant stories or carry on inane banter during the action; and he's 100% in tune with the game. Tells it like it is, and really gets the viewer involved in the game. Always does his homework, never mispronounced a name, always knows who's who on the ice. Most underrated announcer of our time.

Guest Hank=FutureCaptain
I also miss NHL on Espn and NHL 2 nite.. :(

Oh man I couldn't agree more. Bucci made up for having to deal with Melrose. But either way, it was awesome to flip on ESPN and actually get a solid half hour of NHL discussion.

Guest Mr. Byng
Ahhhhh....the Lapointe goal that ripped off Patty's velcro extension to his catching glove. I have never forgotten that goal. For some reason I've always remembered exactly how it happened (only thing is, I sometimes mix it up and think it happened in the Crawford-meltdown game.)

What game was that? It sounds interesting.

Wow, can anyone tell me why games aren't that fast, open, and exciting anymore? I thought that the new rules made the game faster by getting rid of clutching and grabbing and all that. I realize that was a playoff game and the intensity is different, but i still think that was way above anything now, except for maybe the last period of game 6 of the ducks series last year.

What game was that? It sounds interesting.

Game 4 of the same series, I believe. The Wings won 6-0 and at some point when the game was out of hand, things got very chippy, over 200 PIMs were assessed, and Crawford went bats*** insane. Leaned over the partition between the benches and screamed bloody murder at Scotty. Repeatedly called Scotty all the nastiest names you can think of for the orifices on either side of a woman's legs, and used the word f*** about 17,325 times. Just made a complete spectacle of himself at the Joe. I vividly remember this too. The poor photographer in his tiny little box where Larry Murphy now stands was leaning back as if he was in a phone booth and the phone started chomping at him, the look on his face saying OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING.

The transcript of the tantrum is in the book Blood Feud. It's the highlight of the book, IMO.

I don't remember did Mac shake Turtles hand in the line?

No. Blood Feud actually has the answer to that question too. I quote:

The series was over and the Avalanche said all the properly gracious things afterward, but there was still the matter of Lemieux, McCarty, and Draper. Would they shake hands in the traditional procession when it was over?

The answer was no. McCarty and Draper brushed past Lemieux, nobody making any eye contact.

Great book.

Guest Mr. Byng

I'd love to see that game and I'd love to see the transcript of Crawford's poetry. Perhaps there is a connection with Crawford having Lemieux in his team back then and the recent news of certain things that happened when Crawford had Bertuzzi in his team. I'm not saying these two intellectuals weren't responsible of their actions, but maybe things would've happened differently with another coach.

Bowman knew the much younger Crawford’s dad. “Marc,” Bowman reportedly said as the enraged Crawford was being restrained, “your father wouldn’t be so proud of you right now.”

crawford.jpg

Guest Crymson
I'd love to see that game and I'd love to see the transcript of Crawford's poetry. Perhaps there is a connection with Crawford having Lemieux in his team back then and the recent news of certain things that happened when Crawford had Bertuzzi in his team. I'm not saying these two intellectuals weren't responsible of their actions, but maybe things would've happened differently with another coach.

Bowman knew the much younger Crawford’s dad. “Marc,” Bowman reportedly said as the enraged Crawford was being restrained, “your father wouldn’t be so proud of you right now.”

crawford.jpg

Bowman and Crawford go at it (youtube).

Note the crowd berating Crawford.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Mr. Byng

Thanks. That's a good video.

Bowman always looked like he knew what he was doing. If he was getting a little nervous he ate ice and kept his cool. In that video Crawford just looks like he wants to get thrown out of the game. It must have not felt very good playing in a team where coach was the most fierce person.

Do you remember if Crawford got a suspension or a fine for his behaviour that time?

Bowman's exact words were, "I knew your father before you did." Said, most likely, in such a way as to spin Crawford up as high as possible.

And yes, I fully agree that there is a good reason that high-profile goonery follows Crawford around. It's not just coincidence. Most classless coach in the NHL. I don't think Crawford got any league sanctions from his tantrum, though.

Guest LivingtheDream
I don't remember did Mac shake Turtles hand in the line?

Man, you guys have to read Blood Feud!!! Not the best writing, but an essential must read for any Wings fan history of the greatest sports rivalry of our time. The answers to your questions are there and a transcript of the Crawford rant too!

Guest Hank=FutureCaptain
Man, you guys have to read Blood Feud!!! Not the best writing, but an essential must read for any Wings fan history of the greatest sports rivalry of our time. The answers to your questions are there and a transcript of the Crawford rant too!

lol...or you could have just said yes or no.... :unsure: