#1 96warrior

96warrior

3rd Line Checker

• HoF Booster
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/
Red Wings Monday practice
The Wings have just taken the ice after two days off. The only thing of note is that Valtteri Filppula is not on the ice. Not sure why at this point. I'll update after practice.
Instead of just subbing in someone on the second line, however, coach Mike Babcock has juggled his lines as though Filppula wasn't going to play. Here's the line combinations being used right now ...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Cleary-Franzen-Samuelsson
Drake-Draper-Maltby
Hudler-Hartigan-McCarty
Downey

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Lebda-Chelios
Meech-Lilja

Osgood
Hasek
Howard

Babcock moved Cleary up from the second line to the third line and inserted Maltby onto the third line. If Filppula is healthy, obviously he'll bein the lineup for Thursday's Game 1.

#2 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

Wonder why Flip wasn't one the ice, can't wait to here more. Also Downey is still not going to play?

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#3 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

That's interesting that Filppula wasn't on the ice today. We haven't heard of any injury issues with him, but there obviously has been talk about him not stepping up his game in the playoffs. That being said, he does have 5 points (2G, 3A) in 10 games this postseason). Either way, if he is healthy you gotta think he'd be on the ice. Perhaps just a little bug or a little bruised up.

BTW, I think you meant to say Cleary was moved up from the third line to the second line.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 05 May 2008 - 10:36 AM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#4 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Real1 @ May 5, 2008 - 10:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wonder why Flip wasn't one the ice, can't wait to here more. Also Downey is still not going to play?

Why should he?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#5 JeeSpot82

JeeSpot82

The Production Line

• Gold Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Helm out of the lineup, too...

#6 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

No Helm?
Hockeytown - No Limits

#7 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

Why should he?

Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

EDIT Spelling

Edited by Real1, 05 May 2008 - 10:43 AM.

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#8 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Never Forget Mac #25 @ May 5, 2008 - 06:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should he?

Indeed. Maltby will be in before Downey.

QUOTE (JeeSpot82 @ May 5, 2008 - 06:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Helm out of the lineup, too...

On a related note: Maltby replacing him..? Personally I'm not too keen on that idea, Helm has been solid.
Thank You TeeMan

#9 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Real1 @ May 5, 2008 - 10:42AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

Not if the player that's taking his spot can bring more to the table than Downey. Regardless of him "busting his ass", if he's not as talented and doesn't bring as much to the team as another guy, than he shouldn't be in.

#10 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Never Forget Mac #25 @ May 5, 2008 - 09:37AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should he?

To fight Turco?

As others have mentioned, what's up with Helm?

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#11 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Real1 @ May 5, 2008 - 11:42AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EDIT Spelling

i understand the sentiment, i like downey, but the whole point of deadline acquisitions is to upgrade your team, and sometimes people who have been there all season lose playing team ... obviously the coaches think mac brings something to the table that downey doesn't, and i don't see any reason to fix what ain't broke ...
"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#12 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hartigan for Helm....me's thinking something is fishy. There is absolutely no reason to put Hartigan in over Helm unless he's injured. With Filp not on the ice and Hartigan in Helm's spot, I wonder if Babs isn't checking other lines to see if he can get some other consistency if the current ones happen to struggle.

#13 Kcjacoby

Kcjacoby

Let's Go Wings!!!

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

does it count if I saw Lebda and Downey at Club 22 this weekend? :-P

#14 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

I'm guessing Bruce typed Haritgan but meant Helm.
Moral victories are for losers.

#15 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Never Forget Mac #25 @ May 5, 2008 - 11:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not if the player that's taking his spot can bring more to the table than Downey. Regardless of him "busting his ass", if he's not as talented and doesn't bring as much to the team as another guy, than he shouldn't be in.

Plus, if it ain't broke...

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Jimmy Howard

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#16 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Wings_Dynasty @ May 5, 2008 - 11:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus, if it ain't broke...

Which is what I've been saying all along.....even in regards to Maltby.

#17 WingsZR2

WingsZR2

Play for this and nothing else

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Hopefully Flip is just getting another day since he had the tender groin in the 1st round, could have flared up. Hartigan for Helm, no thank you. I would prefer Helm playing with one arm tied behind his back over Hartigan.
Youth and enthusiasm will only take you so far. I'd rather be old and smart than young and dumb any day.

Except for Darren Helm, he's a badass.

#18 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Heaton @ May 5, 2008 - 11:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm guessing Bruce typed Haritgan but meant Helm.

That would make sense. You gotta wonder if that isn't corrected/updated in the next couple hours though. Usually when a writer makes an error like that and a comment/email-to-the-auther occurs its corrected pretty quickly. That being said, there are "0 Comments" at this point.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 05 May 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#19 Ontario Wingsfan

Ontario Wingsfan

The Beard is Back

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

Please let "Hartigan" be a typo?. unsure.gif
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
1936 - 1937 - 1943 - 1950 - 1952 - 1954 - 1955 - 1997 - 1998 - 2002 - 2008

#20 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Never Forget Mac #25 @ May 5, 2008 - 12:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would make sense. You gotta wonder if that isn't corrected/updated though in the next couple hours though. Usually when writer makes an error like that and a comment/email-to-the-auther occurs its corrected pretty quickly. That being said, there are "0 Comments" at this point.

I posted a comment but I'm sure he's watching practice at the moment.
Moral victories are for losers.