• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SweWings

Detroit has signed goalie-prospect Daniel Larsson

Rate this topic

From Aftonbladet.se. Rough translation by me.

MOVING TO THE US

Daniel Larsson has signed a contract with the NHL-team Detroit Red Wings. The 22 year old has signed a two-year deal.

Here's the chocking message that Djurgården (note: Larssons SEL-team) doesn't want.

The highly touted goalie Daniel Larsson, 22, is leaving the club and moving to Detroit THIS SUMMER.

'I have decided to take the chance', says Larsson.

Daniel Larsson was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in 2006 and if the NHL-team doesn't sign a contract with Larsson this summer, they lose his rights. Djurgården had always thought that the Swedish national goalie would sign with Detroit, but subsequently lent out to play another season in the SEL.

That is not the way it's going to be. Daniel Larsson has agreed with Detroit on a two year contract and moves to the US this summer.

'Yes, that's right. I've been looking at this from different angles, but I feel that it's the best thing for me to move and play in the US next season', says Larsson.

Osgood is No. 1

The Red Wings aren't counting on the veteran Dominik Hasek, 43, next season. Insead the team with the many Swedes is going with the 35 year old Chris Osgood as No. 1.

Behind Osgood - who signed a 3 year contract this winter - it's thought that Larsson will compete with Jimmy Howard for the back-up spot.

'When I heard that they planned to have me battle for the back-up spot behind Osgood there really wasn't that much to think about', says Larsson.

Larsson isn't worried that the step between the SEL and the NHL is going to be to big.

'I've followed (Erik) Ersbergs development in Los Angeles, and I feel that I have at least as big an opportunity to succeed over there', says Larsson.

For Djurgården Larsson's decision is like a killing blow. The team had counted on having Larsson next season, but is they're now suddenly without a No. 1 goalie.

Staying in the US

Larsson has no plans for returning to the SEL even should he find himself in the AHL. He is completely set on completing the season in

the US.

'Now that I've decided to move across the pont I'll remain in the Detroit organization the whole season', says Daniel Larsson.

How about that, eh guys? (And I don't mean the translation)

Daniel Larsson won goalie of the year in the SEL.

Some stats for 07/08 regular season:

Name Team GP GAA SVS% SO

Larsson, Daniel DIF 55 2,29 92,10 6

For the 07/08 play-offs:

Larsson, Daniel DIF 5 2,64 92,02 0

As big of a fan of J-ho and as much as I want to see him lead the wings to the cup, Goaltenders are like pitchers in baseball, just when you think you too many, you realize you don't have enough.

If this kid is legit as much as man love as I have for J-ho, I want to see the wings continue their dominance for another 15 years more than I want to see J-ho be a star!

As a wings fan and from sweden, I can add some info about Larsson. He got both the award as rookie of the year and best goaltender in SEL this season. He is, by far, the best young swedish goaltender right now and at only 22 years of age he got the tools to become a really good goaltender. Could he become the next H Lundqvist? Possible, it's up to him to develop because all the tools are there.

Excellent, so in 15 years, my now unborn child can watch Daniel Larsson first NHL game for the wings :)

This is great news to hear!

Excellent, so in 15 years, my now unborn child can watch Daniel Larsson first NHL game for the wings :)

This is great news to hear!

No s*** I am so tired of the wings missing the post season because they have no goaltending!!

I am pissed about that too!!

OH wait!!

Why do so many of you continually question what this org does. Can you tell me of another club in the last 15 years that has handled personnel this well?

Because if you can I would like to know who!!!

I am not saying every move is a diamond, but what happens if J-ho comes out in two years and is the next best thing since goaltender X!

What if they hold back Larsson 15 years and at the age of 37 he leads the wings to a cup, was it still a bad move!

I understand you were being sarcastic, but the meaning behind your statement was still there!

I understand you were being sarcastic, but the meaning behind your statement was still there!

So you caught on to the fact that we sign but don't use our goalies for a good 10 years or so?

How about that Howard... glad to be hearing his name for some 5 years now... he will be dead before he gets to play in this town.

Edited by OsGOD

So you caught on to the fact that we sign but don't use are goalies for a good 10 years or so?

Yeah I got that, but it is not like the team has no goal tending at all.

It would be like complaining about not using the drafted D-men because they drafted Signed Rafalski. (Edit: Just being a dumbass!!)

Do I want to see the wings use the youngsters they draft, yes I do, however if their is a better option I think Holland, Babs etc. have a responsibility to the team/org to do everything they can to get the better player.

Sure Ericsson looks like he will be legit, however I would still rather have Ralf and Stuart.

A known commodity is USUALLY better than the unknown.

IMO!!

Edited by Opie

So you caught on to the fact that we sign but don't use our goalies for a good 10 years or so?

How about that Howard... glad to be hearing his name for some 5 years now... he will be dead before he gets to play in this town.

Howard hasn't been ready for the NHL in the past. He's been good, but he still looks inexperienced. But don't worry. It looks like next year we'll have three goalie's competing, with Ozzie carrying the load. Very cool.

Osgod,

J-ho would be awesome to see in the winged wheel, I was born and raised in Maine, huge u-maine fan, I would love to see J-ho in net right now leading the way to the cup.

However Ozzie, and even Hasek, are better options right now.

If J-ho is ready he will prove it by beating out Ozzie in the next couple of years, if not, Larsson will, If not the wings will get a goaltender.

okay the main jest of my post was the simple fact we get all excited about the signings about 10 years to early... you know how long i had to hear about Grigs before he busted... That doesn't mean i am speaking against the org... that is more a credit to the org to having such skill and depth we don't see these players for a long time

All i am saying is getting excited over a signing that won't mean any thing for almost a better part of a decade is silly.

All i am saying is getting excited over a signing that won't mean any thing for almost a better part of a decade is silly.

Wrong.

Larsson or Howard may be no.1 goalie in two years. Depends on how they play.

I don't know about you, but I am not over excited about Larsson. But it was good news for me anyways.

With Red Wings and Swedish players history, there is always a chance we will get quality player, like we usually do.

The more young promising goaltenders in the system the better.

Wrong.

Larsson or Howard may be no.1 goalie in two years. Depends on how they play.

I don't know about you, but I am not over excited about Larsson. But it was good news for me anyways.

With Red Wings and Swedish players history, there is always a chance we will get quality player, like we usually do.

The more young promising goaltenders in the system the better.

What indication of the wings prior 20 year history demostrates that they would go with a backstop of 2 non-proven youngsters?

Don't kid yourself... the revolving "vet" goalie is not out of their system. We are only a season or two off of a Miller or Biron goalie.

Edited by OsGOD

There's already a thread on this but thanks for the report nonetheless. :thumbup:

Didn't see that actually. My bad.

And I don't really see why people are making this out to be such a big deal. I'm just happy Detroit has another quality goalie prospect. They aren't exactly easy to come by. And even then, sure, they rarely pan out. But he's NOT a new Liv, the guy is a lot more stable than that and also he seems a lot more comfortable about coming over to play in NA. I'm just happy he seems committed to making the best of the opportunity.

Best case scenario, J-Ho displaces Ozzie from the No. 1 spot but how likely is that, really? Hopefully, if it still boils down to that, the Red Wings won't have to go after top goalies with the desperation that's becoming apparent. Options are always good to have.

What indication of the wings prior 20 year history demostrates that they would go with a backstop of 2 non-proven youngsters?

And who says that?

One of them will be no.2 next year..most likely. If either of them plays well, they will get a chance to play.

Don't kid yourself... the revolving "vet" goalie is not out of their system. We are only a season or two off of a Miller or Biron goalie.

Would be good too.

I am not kidding myself when I think Larsson might be great goalie in the NHL.

And who says that?

One of them will be no.2 next year..most likely. If either of them plays well, they will get a chance to play.

Would be good too.

I am not kidding myself when I think Larsson might be great goalie in the NHL.

Well the History of Wings Goalies says that... We don't go with Youngsters anymore in the nets without having them sit in the minors for a decade, haven't for at least 15 years. We go out and buy the next best thing... thats why our revolving goalie door is relevant.

I am not confirming or denying how Larsson will do in the NHL... he could be a scrub or a future ellite... problem is even though he has been signed todayish... we won't see him for another handful of years on this team.

I am all for sticking with a goalie (even is he GASP doesn't win a stanley cup every season) I just wish the Wings org would also feel the same way!

Edited by OsGOD

Well the History of Wings Goalies says that... We don't go with Youngsters anymore in the nets without having them sit in the minors for a decade, haven't for at least 15 years. We go out and buy the next best thing... thats why our revolving goalie door is relevant.

I am not confirming or denying how Larsson will do in the NHL... he could be a scrub or a future ellite... problem is even though he has been signed todayish... we won't see him for another handful of years on this team.

I am all for sticking with a goalie (even is he GASP doesn't win a stanley cup every season) I just wish the Wings org would also feel the same way!

I hear ya! But the Wings are slowly approaching a point where they either have to go with someone who is "unproven" or have to trade for a big name guy... But like you said before, that's not Red Wings logic. Red Wings logic then dictates you go find a vet who is 35+ and go with that guy. It's worked for Detroit before, but who is the goalie now? It's not Hasek. It's the guy who's been in the organization for a long time (Osgood never left damnit!!).

as a Djurgården fan i´m very sad we lose a very good keeper, he was the reason we made it to the playoffs this year.

*Edit* seen him many games this year so i know what im talking about.

However if there is eny other team i would like to see him in its detroit, ( hey im from sweden)

still i think it would be better form him (and me) :rolleyes: to stay atleast one more year i the most succsesful club in swedish hockey.

Edited by veeb

Well I was wondering when the Wings were gonna do something with the goaltender situation. It is obvious that Dom won't be back, so we all know that Jimmy Howard cannot handle the load, I know Ozzie can, but for how much longer. and who knows this kid may go into GR and play like Carey Price did with Hamilton. I like our luck with the Swedes, and I think he would fit in quite well here with the other Swedes!! Good Move as far as I'm concerned!!

Well I was wondering when the Wings were gonna do something with the goaltender situation. It is obvious that Dom won't be back, so we all know that Jimmy Howard cannot handle the load, I know Ozzie can, but for how much longer. and who knows this kid may go into GR and play like Carey Price did with Hamilton. I like our luck with the Swedes, and I think he would fit in quite well here with the other Swedes!! Good Move as far as I'm concerned!!

When you say J-Ho can't carry the load are saying next year or you don't think he will be an NHL goaltender?