• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pidge

Don cherry on HNIC

Rate this topic

Yeah I never get why people don't mention the prices of Pistons and Tigers tickets when they argue they sell out, so it should be no problem for the Red Wings.

[/b]By their logic, a Ferrari (being the Red Wings = the same price as a Ford Focus( Being the Pistons and Tigers)[/b]

Pretty much sums it up for me. Good analogy, worth repeating.

The Ford Focus has tons of great fans. There are millions of them on the road. Heck, people even rent them while on vacation.

What's wrong with those Ferrari fans? Why don't they support their favorite product and just BUY one like the Focus people always do?

As for his ignorant comments on Coaches Corner, what he said was, "look at Holmstrom, "he takes punches in the nose", [twice! he shrieked!] and doesn't do anything about it. Nothing. What is he thinking?", he asks.

And it impresses you that a player doesn't stand up for himself?

He also went on to say Babcock has our guys ignoraing ANY and ALL types of contact after whistles etc. Even if they get cheapshotted, the Wings DO NOT respond. He went on to also say - which was PRETTY DAMN IGNORANT - that nobody goes to Joe Louis and how it's really a shame. Why not? Cherry feels the issue is we do not have any Bob Probert types on this team. Ass kickers. If we did, THEN the fans would be back. This team is soft, was the implication.

He has a valid point. What's yours?

Buy a f***in' clue Cherry. Who the hell is paying $200 for hockey tickets when the MI economy is one of the WORST in the U.S.?

I thought the Wings games were always sold out but the corporate seats weren't getting filled?

That, to me, indicates a sad state of hockey in Detroit and if true, blows your "they can't afford tickets" theory right out of the water. I guess it would be almost as bad as it would be if the games were not sold out.

Please DO NOT mistake his bulls*** line that he began with, "Hey, I love Detroit. Best city in the USA, outside of Boston" crap. He's an angry, old man, well past his prime, who only seems to entertain those as ignorant and shallow as him.

Sorry, but you're the one who seems angry.

Entertaining? Hardly, considering he throws out borderline racial remarks on the regular

I saw that same accusation (racist) mentioned earlier in this thread. How is Don Cherry a racist?

then flips switches and ends his shows all boo-hoo'ey with images of fallen Canadian soldiers. Give me a break. It looks so insincere and insulting to those of us who have military family members. And, IT IS!

Cherry is a proud supporter of the Canadian Military, cops, firefighters, sick kids, etc., etc. His feelings about Canadian soldiers or cops who have died are sincere. You, on the other hand, stand behind your "military family members" in order to insult someone who uses his program (he doesn't have to) to honour fallen soldiers. Who is more pathetic?

Besides, I'd say by your name that you're an American from the Detroit area. Don't concern yourself about what Don Cherry says about our soldiers. His words count, not yours.

I love the Wings, but there's definitely something wrong in Detroit when it comes to fan support. If it's corporate support not putting asses in the seats then a remedy needs to be found, especially considering that there's a conference final going on. Detroit is rapidly becoming known as having the most boring building to play in in the NHL. If the games aren't being sold out you can't tell me that it's a financial issue with fans. Bulls***. You choose where your expendable income goes, and if you're a TRUE fan, it would go to tickets. Surely, there must be a few thousand people out of the 5 million in the Detroit area who can afford tickets. I hope some of you guys find it as sad as I do that the fans of Nashville out-cheered the Wings. I mean WTF? Nashville?

I don't particularly like or dislike Don Cherry, but some people seem to get real pissy when the truth hits home.

Edited by One of the Few

Hockeytown revival? Fans buzzing; TV ratings up

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../805100328/1053

Thursday night, Joe Louis was nearly full by the end of the first period. A free T-shirt promotion had created long lines at the entrances and the crowd arrived unusually late. Yes, there were empty seats, but nothing like the recent past.

Well I hope that continues. In my opinion the NHL can't ever be considered 100 percent healthy without Detroit doing well with their fans.

Things are looking up in Chicago, New York, Pitts, Philly, it would be sad and ironic as hell if Detroit continued to go in the toilet while other teams are seeing a fan revival.

Heaton, didn't you used to have that avatar of the guy with the jerky face? That thing always creeped me out.

Edited by One of the Few

Guest GordieSid&Ted
IMO, Cherry is a jerk for making the empty seats an issue. His half arsed reasoning is the game we play isn't entertaining. I've been to a predators and avs playoff game and the atmosphere was rocking. A lot of our fans are a tamer croud than say, Montreal. You can't watch one game, go on TV in front of millions and say what he said.

I know how he's thinking. He's avid about Canadians and he'll rationalize anything after that. TSN had a clip against europeans. Maybe the Illitches told Toronto off for trying to beckon our front office. I don't blame them if they did that, they built the Wings from scratch.

You can't put idiots on air in front of millions of people. I watched super troopers alone a long time ago and thought it sucked. But then I watched it with a bunch of people and that s*** was funny as hell. Don Cherry doesn't understand this effect. Melrose feels the same way as Cherry. My ears hurt after game 2 of the Avs series. I watched the regular season Ottawa game on the CBC too and all they did was whine and run down the Wings in there pre-game program.

People really listen to what Don says and it's quite aggravating. Sugar coating it is more of an insult because it grabs Wings fan's attention. Just watched the ESPN rant. He's a baby.

People shouldn't have enough to say about how amazing the Wing's play is. They beat Colorado 8-2.

Well get over yourself already.

Empty seats are an issue, whether you want it to be brought up or not. You can stick your head in the sand all day if you want but people have every right to bring the issue up. Whether his reasoning suits you or not you can't disprove his theories. Last time I checked the jury is out on whether any specific thing can be pointed to as the cause for the empty seats.

I live in Ohio so I don't get to go to the games but I notice the empty seats on TV. As long as we win I don't care if nobody goes to the game. But that's me personally. I just don't care about that kind of stuff. But that doesn't mean somebody else can't make an issue of it.

I love the Wings, but there's definitely something wrong in Detroit when it comes to fan support.

I agree. But its not the fan support, it's the government. The Government lets good paying automotive jobs leave the state & country and the government doesn't replace them. The govenment also waste tax money on personal travel and luxury items for themselves.

If it's corporate support not putting asses in the seats then a remedy needs to be found

People in the world need to buy only big 3 cars so the automotive corporation's can stop losing billions of dollars. The only industry that is built around the Michigan/Detroit economy is the automotive industry. Most U.S. cities have multiple industries built around their economy which is why you are not seeing other U.S.states in a recession

If the games aren't being sold out you can't tell me that it's a financial issue with fans. Bulls***. You choose where your expendable income goes, and if you're a TRUE fan, it would go to tickets.

You simple can't set aside for high price tickets. It would mean that you would have to give up rent or your house payment. That is way people are moving out Michigan so they can get away from the bad economy and finacial issues.

Surely, there must be a few thousand people out of the 5 million in the Detroit area who can afford tickets.

If tickets cost $9 or $12 like the Tigers and Pistons then I am sure people could afford tickets and use your set aside money plan. We are also the leading metro area for losing population.

I hope some of you guys find it as sad as I do that the fans of Nashville out-cheered the Wings. I mean WTF? Nashville?

Thats because a lot of fans in Nashville don't know what is going on. On the Predators message board they complain about this.

I love the Wings, but there's definitely something wrong in Detroit

It sounds like your not even from the area and that means you have no clue on how hard it is to live here and that is why millions and millions are leaving the area.

Edited by Jwo

There are empty seats because everyone's trying to use the bathrooms at the JOE!

I heard the JLA had to get porta-potties. Is that true?

If the games aren't being sold out you can't tell me that it's a financial issue with fans. Bulls***. You choose where your expendable income goes, and if you're a TRUE fan, it would go to tickets.

Well that statement chaps my ass, but I'll be brief. What if there isn't any expendable income though?

Whats there for the fans to be excited about?

No Hits.

No Fights EVER.

No Personality.

Boring hockey..

lol you're a good fan. watch hockey not just the extras.

red wings are flying past teams scoring amazing goals, thats enough excitement for me. no fights? i havent seen many at all this playoffs,oh and for the EVER did u not see mccartys fight. no hits? are you blind, have u not seen kronnic out there laying people out? pull your head out of your ass. if thats all your looking for go watch some ******* WWE or something

red wings are flying past teams scoring amazing goals, thats enough excitement for me. no fights? i havent seen many at all this playoffs,oh and for the EVER did u not see mccartys fight. no hits? are you blind, have u not seen kronnic out there laying people out? pull your head out of your ass. if thats all your looking for go watch some ******* WWE or something

EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS!!!!!

True.

Also Fights and Hits don't score goals. Sticking up for yourself when you get punch in the scrum (like Don Cherry says) also does not score goals. It leads your behind into the penalty box and gives the other team the opportunity to score a goal on your team.

Edited by Jwo

Well that statement chaps my ass, but I'll be brief. What if there isn't any expendable income though?

A city of 5-6 million (plus surrounding areas) can't find a few thousand people to pay enough for Red Wings tickets? How many seasons tickets are sold and what's available for every game? 2,000 seats maybe? Less? The problem is not that there's a lack of expendable income, (unless Saddam Hussein has been resurrected and used the key to Detroit he was given to turn Detroit into "Bagdhad West") the problem is that there isn't enough interest coming from the people who do have expendable income. This goes back to what Don Cherry said; not enough people in the Detroit area are interested in the Wings.

A city of 5-6 million (plus surrounding areas) can't find a few thousand people to pay enough for Red Wings tickets? How many seasons tickets are sold and what's available for every game? 2,000 seats maybe? Less? The problem is not that there's a lack of expendable income, (unless Saddam Hussein has been resurrected and used the key to Detroit he was given to turn Detroit into "Bagdhad West") the problem is that there isn't enough interest coming from the people who do have expendable income. This goes back to what Don Cherry said; not enough people in the Detroit area are interested in the Wings.

You keep saying the Metro Detroit area has 5-6 million but the news is stating that the metro Detroit area is leading the nation in losing population. Other hockey city buildings are filled with large numbers of ex-Michiganders (who have expendable income and the only way to get it, is to move out of the bad economy of Michigan) with Red Wings Jerseys. Looks like the interest is there.

Which puts a major flaw in your argument. Don Cherry and you are very much wrong. Better luck next time and thank you for playing.

Unless the Metro Detroit area can get Job growth, Population growth and Economical growth with these high price Red Wings tickets. You will see empty seats.[/font] The true argument you should be making is how to get Job growth, Population growth and Economical growth in Michigan and the Metro Detroit area.[/color]

And have fun with that one since we have not seen that in over 5 years while the rest of the nation has.

Since your rich with your expendable income, then you can buy the 20,000 tickets and distribute them amongst all of Red Wings Nation. Put up or SHUT UP!

Edited by Jwo

After reading that last post, I think a possible reason that attendance is down is because quite a few Wings fans are so dumb that they keep paying for a beer with a 100 dollar bill and forget to ask for change.

I'm not sure whether the ascending font size was intentional on your part or a sign of increasing dementia though.

Edited by One of the Few

This discussion is all fine until people who aren't even here to experience the Michigan economy start proselytizing about how metro-Detroiters should spend their income.

This discussion is about Cherry's comments and has been expanded on by others about why there are empty seats at the Joe. I'm engaging in that conversation. If you're saying it's okay for people who live here to speculate about why attendance is suffering, but someone from out of town (Cherry's from out of town too, isn't he?) cannot, then this forum is selective about who can comment about what based on geography. If you think that's right, then this forum isn't as good as i thought it was.

My point has been that surely you can find a couple of thousand people out of 6 million who can afford Wings tickets. To suggest that these people don't exist in Detroit is ludicrous. Why don't you argue that instead.

Edited by One of the Few

If you're saying it's okay for people who live here to speculate about why attendance is suffering, but someone from out of town (Cherry's from out of town too, isn't he?) cannot, then this forum is selective about who can comment about what based on geography. If you think that's right, then this forum isn't as good as i thought it was.

That's an impressive reach, but not what I'm saying at all. You can speculate all you want about anything you want. But your comments suggest that you don't really get the impact an uncertain job market has on a community. Even those who haven't lost their jobs or left the state are going to be more cautious about spending money on things like sporting events. You don't know when you might lose your job and people save for a rainy day. A Wings game is just not that important in the context of real world concerns like that.

My point has been that surely you can find a couple of thousand people out of 6 million who can afford Wings tickets. To suggest that these people don't exist in Detroit is ludicrous. Why don't you argue that instead.

See above.

In other words he wants Detroit to become more like Nashville. Lovely.

I've seen a few Wings fans that could pass for Nashville fans, and that is EXACTLY the type of fans we DO NOT need more of.

That's an impressive reach, but not what I'm saying at all. You can speculate all you want about anything you want. But your comments suggest that you don't really get the impact an uncertain job market has on a community. Even those who haven't lost their jobs or left the state are going to be more cautious about spending money on things like sporting events. You don't know when you might lose your job and people save for a rainy day. A Wings game is just not that important in the context of real world concerns like that.

I live in an island community where forestry is big business and a few years ago illegal American duties of 27 percent drove Canadian softwood lumber companies out of business and tore the heart of some surrounding communities. Is that "getting the impact"?

Even those who haven't lost their jobs or left the state are going to be more cautious about spending money on things like sporting events. You don't know when you might lose your job and people save for a rainy day. A Wings game is just not that important in the context of real world concerns like that.

Guess I'm just not getting the math or I'm not entirely convinced that Detroit isn't a major American city. It has poor sections, middle class areas, upper middle class, upper class, etc., etc... in layman's term, one helluva lotta people of varying incomes. You guys are making Detroit sound like it's in the middle of a nuclear winter and everyone still alive can barely afford to put food on their table. In a business that draws less than 20,000 people out of a population in the millions, there are other problems going on, like a lack of interest.

This is a little difficult for me. I think you guys here are some of the greatest hockey fans alive, and I'm preaching my opinion to people who probably aren't part of the problem.

OOTF,

I think it's worse than you think. The highest unemployment in the country, the worst housing market in the country. People are fleeing by the thousands and the population is dropping quickly.

I understand what your saying; sure, there are a few thousand people who have the financial security to buy hockey tickets. But the fan base of this team is, and has pretty much always been, a blue collar one. These are the folks hit the hardest and the ones who are either out of work, fearing for their jobs, or simply have left the state to find work elsewhere.

But the fan base of this team is, and has pretty much always been, a blue collar one. These are the folks hit the hardest and the ones who are either out of work, fearing for their jobs, or simply have left the state to find work elsewhere.

Best point made yet.

Still, I think yours (and others) arguments are founded a little bit in not wanting to admit that some people have lost interest in the Red Wings. I don't know why that is, but it's something I've noticed for a couple of years now. I think the "New" NHL has something to do with it, and I also agree with some of what Don Cherry said. I will concede that your theory plays a part in it. How could it not? But I don't believe it's the only reason when you have a city as big as Detroit.

You can take other NHL cities with a smaller population and fanbase than Detroit, (Minnesota?) and they're not suffering the same problems. I realize that they mot have been hit as hard economically as Detroit, but it goes to show that Detroit has a cushion (in the millions) that other cities don't have and should have more than enough fans to fill the seats. I think the problem is two-fold; the blue collar workers make less money, but would rather spend the money on other things that they deem more important. Their priorities have shifted and what they've see in the Joe has influenced that. I also think that may be changing. The Wings have been notorious for checking out of the playoffs early, but that's changed this year. With success, comes fan support.

By the way, I think the Wings are going to walk through the Stars. The Stars faced 2 underperforming teams and think they're the s*** right now. They're nowhere as good as they think. The Flames and Sharks phones it in but the Wings will not. Prediction: Wings in 5.

Edited by One of the Few

There are other factors, and I think some of the fans have lost some interest. The loss of the stars who fans associated with the Cup teams is a big one.

But hey, at the end of the day, the playoff games are back to sellouts. I think things are on the uptick, personally.