• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sixer

Suspension Update

Rate this topic

I was reading hockey news on Yahoo (I was slightly bored) and found an article about the wings/Dallas that talks about the "Altercation". Found one thing that caught my eye...

“That’s probably the most you’re going to see of it (Saturday) night, hopefully,” Modano said. “They’re not a very physical team by any means, but they do play the game. … And for us to try to get into some street fight ain’t going to work. You have to play the game of hockey and right now, they’re doing it better than us.”

Aparently Modano hasen't been looking in Kronners and Stuarts directions'... :blink: But then we don't need to dish out hits if they hit each other (Lehtinen/Morrow)...

:thumbup:

The more I looked at and thought about this the more I began to think they would treat them as equal offences. In other words either suspend both or neither. Since it was our starting goaltender and their top points getter they figured it was better to let both play. Looked at from their point of view what Osgood did could have cost Ribeiro an eye though it didn't look as blatant. I don't think they thought they could credibly get away with treating one as worse than the other. Given the choice I'd much rather see this than both suspended. Send em to the golf course in front of their fans with no excuses. Wouldn't you rather beat them without having to hear about how they didn't have Ribeiro? And does anybody prefer to see Dom in net at this point?

Edited by Tiribulus

What bothers me most about this is the fact that had Ribeiro not retaliated with a 2-handed tomahawk slash, Ozzie wouldn't have been fined and in all honesty what sense does that make? Had Flip or Homer tomahawked Turco and been fined it'd have retroactively made what he did worse and that is just pure retardation.

I would agree with this if it made even the slightest amount of sense. What possible reason could you have to believe this to be fact?

What bothers me most about this is the fact that had Ribeiro not retaliated with a 2-handed tomahawk slash, Ozzie wouldn't have been fined and in all honesty what sense does that make?

QFT. The whole thing is total BS. A free pass to a 2-handed slash on someone you don't like at the end of the game.

Lets beat these clowns ASAP, and then I look forward to the handshakes at the end. McCarty is going to have words with you then Ribeiro, be sure of it. Something along the line of "see you at the Joe next season".

I would agree with this if it made even the slightest amount of sense. What possible reason could you have to believe this to be fact?

Aside from pure common sense in the notion that goalies do worse things all the time, Hasek did the exact same thing last year and no stink was raised about it based on the fact that whom he did it to didn't throw a hissy fit. The fine was nothing more than a means to appease both ends of the argument.

BTW, I totally agree that we SHOULD IN NO WAY retaliate for this. That would be foolish and if it cost us a win somehow we will have played right into their hands.

Aside from pure common sense in the notion that goalies do worse things all the time, Hasek did the exact same thing last year and no stink was raised about it based on the fact that whom he did it to didn't throw a hissy fit. The fine was nothing more than a means to appease both ends of the argument.

If Ribeiro had've gone about it the correct way and skated to the other side of the net and pushed Ozzie around, maybe thrown a few and later explained why he was so pissed, Ozzie could just as easily have been fined.

The precedent the NHL set today is completely ridiculous. Turco slashed, hacked, punched and even tripped our players all game because he was "frustrated'... Ozzie get his stick out trying to prevent Lidstrom from being run at and that justifies a two-hand stick-chop? The NHL is basically saying that Homer and Filppula should've chopped Turco across the chest after he messed with them.

Intentionally whacking a player with your stick across the chest should NEVER be okay... I don't care about the reason.

I don't see how retaliating would "cost us the series" or even a game... Whether or not McCarty beats the s*** out of Ribiero really won't affect the outcome in my opinion. DMac hasn't even played in this series. AND it would be totally awesome.

What is this, soccer?

Get up Ozzie.

Coward.

And Ribeiro is stupid.

Read the NHL rules, butt-end of stick is a serious offense. Ask Chris Simon how long Ribeiro should sit.

I am disgusted with both players.

Absolutely disgraceful.

well, talk about the NHL being consistently inconsistent...this league is a joke, this was intent to injure and the league downplays it like it was nothing.... not surprised, but the fine on ozzie is just un-f@^king-believable....way to go league....

BTW, I totally agree that we SHOULD IN NO WAY retaliate for this. That would be foolish and if it cost us a win somehow we will have played right into their hands.

On the other hand, if we let it go unpunished it may result in loss of respect by the Stars AND AN INJURY TO OUR KEY PLAYERS!!! :ranting:

In my opinion, it was a mere coincidence that Osgood was not injured - had the slash been a few inches higher - in the neck or head area, we might be dealing with a concussion or worse!!! :ranting: And dont try to tell me that Ribeiro had aimed carefully not to injure Osgood - he was so out of it, he could not care less where he was hitting ...

I would not be surprised if somebody runs lidstrom or zetts in game three (that is what Ribeiro was intending to do actually - in the final second of the game!). Or two handed slash anyone? :ranting:

I think it's McCarty time!!!

edit: one more line

Edited by Argo

what a crock of you know what.

Yes maybe the butt end was uncalled for, wich i don't think it was, but by no means should it allow a player to two hand anyone the way fagbero did.

I have a feeling that game three is going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see DMac on the ice tomorrow night. This should be a good one.

Wow, i'm so ticked off right now that Fagbero is not having to sit any games. What crap. I didn't think that i could hate the NHL brass anymore then i already do.

The precedent the NHL set today is completely ridiculous. Turco slashed, hacked, punched and even tripped our players all game because he was "frustrated'... Ozzie get his stick out trying to prevent Lidstrom from being run at and that justifies a two-hand stick-chop? The NHL is basically saying that Homer and Filppula should've chopped Turco across the chest after he messed with them.

Intentionally whacking a player with your stick across the chest should NEVER be okay... I don't care about the reason.

I don't see how retaliating would "cost us the series" or even a game... Whether or not McCarty beats the s*** out of Ribiero really won't affect the outcome in my opinion. DMac hasn't even played in this series. AND it would be totally awesome.

Nah, the NHL made the right call. No suspensions necessary. The slash was nothing.

And what does Turco have to do with any of this? Seriously, why are so many people bringing up his hacks and trips during the game? They're minor penalties that weren't called. Did you expect the NHL to suspend him to make it up to a few pissed off Red Wings fans.

Wow, you guys all REALLY need to get over it. Osgood did it on purpose, put your fan-boy bias aside!

Ribiero is a complete f'n moron for retaliating! All he did was make our guys even more fired up.

So, anyone who think Osgood shouldn't have been fined... you are truly blind.

So now what... its over! GET OVER IT!

p.s. I won't be back to see if I get any responses to don't bother... take this as it is.

On the other hand, if we let it go unpunished it may result in loss of respect by the Stars AND AN INJURY TO OUR KEY PLAYERS!!! :ranting:

In my opinion, it was a mere coincidence that Osgood was not injured - had the slash been a few inches higher - in the neck or head area, we might be dealing with a concussion or worse!!! :ranting: And dont try to tell me that Ribeiro had aimed carefully not to injure Osgood - he was so out of it, he could not care less where he was hitting ...

I would not be surprised if somebody runs lidstrom or zetts in game three. Or two handed slash anyone? :ranting:

The inconsistent inconsistency is aggravating isn't it?

Ozzie should know better. Besides, he stops 100 mile an hour pucks with the same chest protector. The whole thing is disgraceful display of sportsmanship on both teams.

If either team thinks about this incident, and uses it to in anyway attack the other team, and not on the scoresheet, there will be all kinds of suspensions thrown down. That's the way Campbell and Buttman seem to take care of things. Waaaaaaaaaaay after the fact.

And they wonder why they are the red-headed stepchild of the major sports.

Edited by gordie_howe

If Ribeiro had've gone about it the correct way and skated to the other side of the net and pushed Ozzie around, maybe thrown a few and later explained why he was so pissed, Ozzie could just as easily have been fined.

Could have? Sure, but very unlikely. As previously stated Hasek's done the same thing for us and it didn't yield a penalty let alone a fine, and have we forgotten what Iginla did to Schneids last year? That had obvious intent and nothing was done about it in terms of a fine. While subjective in nature and unable to be factually proven as I'm no seer, I feel the fining of Ozzie was ludicrous, Turco alone did worse actions that game.

It's disappointing to see so many whining ******* in our fanbase.

Both were fined. Perfect end result. Ribby and Ozzie were both cowardly with their moves, and this would have all been nothing if Ozzie didn't flop like noone has ever flopped before.

Moving on. Quit bitching about the injustices against our Wings. You do realize we're the most agitating team in the league? We've perfected the art of instigating people into retaliation, making it seem like our poor Wings are under "attack." It goes both ways. Grow the hell up and just watch some hockey.

What is this, soccer?

Get up Ozzie.

Coward.

And Ribeiro is stupid.

Read the NHL rules, butt-end of stick is a serious offense. Ask Chris Simon how long Ribeiro should sit.

I am disgusted with both players.

Absolutely disgraceful.

you're a troll, to the back of the bus with you.... calling ozzie a coward, why don't you take a stick across the chest and then act hard.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Wow, you guys all REALLY need to get over it. Osgood did it on purpose, put your fan-boy bias aside!

Ribiero is a complete f'n moron for retaliating! All he did was make our guys even more fired up.

So, anyone who think Osgood shouldn't have been fined... you are truly blind.

So now what... its over! GET OVER IT!

p.s. I won't be back to see if I get any responses to don't bother... take this as it is.

Whew. Is anybody else glad when these clowns say they won't be back. It's like I just won a scratch off or something. Like sweet music to my ears.

Could have? Sure, but very unlikely. As previously stated Hasek's done the same thing for us and it didn't yield a penalty let alone a fine, and have we forgotten what Iginla did to Schneids last year? That had obvious intent and nothing was done about it in terms of a fine. While subjective in nature and unable to be factually proven as I'm no seer, I feel the fining of Ozzie was ludicrous, Turco alone did worse actions that game.

Well I think you need to look at this in a less biased view. Osgood butt-ended a player. He could have broken his jaw, or permanantly damaged his vision. It's a very dangerous thing to do. Ozzie didn't want to hurt Ribeiro or damage his vision etc. but he could have. We're lucky he didn't because Osgood would be gone for the playoffs, you can be sure of that.