• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sixer

Suspension Update

Rate this topic

Update - WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

TSN

The National Hockey League will not suspend any Dallas Star or Detroit Red Wing players for late game antics that occurred late in Game 2 of the Western Conference final.

Stars centre Mike Ribeiro turned up the dial on the nastiness meter at the conclusion of Game 2 after slashing Red Wings' goaltender Chris Osgood in the chest as the buzzer sounded on a 2-1 Detroit victory. The Stars' centre was handed a match penalty for attempt to injure, which carried with it an automatic review by NHL officials. Seconds before the incident, Osgood stuck the butt-end of his stick out as Ribeiro skated by the Detroit net, prompting Ribeiro's retaliation.

Both players have been fined undisclosed amounts by the NHL.

"Even if I did butt-end him, I mean it was an accident, I don't think that justifies a two-hander over top of the net," said Osgood after the game. "He could have gone about it a different way or said something to me."

The incident occurred as the Red Wings were putting the finishing touches on another dominant effort against the Stars. The frustrations of the Stars spilled over with five seconds remaining in regulation as Stars' agitator Steve Ott received a minor for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct for punching Detroit's Kris Draper. Ott was also fined for the incident.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

Hey guys, nothing from Campbell's office yet, but found this from Dallas Paper, don't think it's been posted yet.

All I have to say is unbelievable. From Ribeiro's comments alone, I hope he's suspended, what a jerk to think that Ozzie deserves more. Is everyone in Texas this dumb?

Dallas News - Suspension Update

"Both Dave Tippett and Mike Ribeiro said they expect there to be none.

The NHL has said nothing about it. The tricky thing about the NHL is they have until game-time tomorrow to announce a suspension, but if they decide to do nothing, then they very well could decide to say nothing, and play goes on. My guess is the teams will be tipped off to the ``no suspension'' decision (if that is indeed the league's decision), so we'll try to forward that to you if we find that out.

As for the quotes, here's Ribeiro:

(When asked if he thought he would be disciplined): ``No. Well, if they do suspend me for one game, hopefully they suspend him for two games.''

(When asked what happened with Osgood): ``I think if you did a replay, he (Osgood) actually tries to do it (hit me with his stick). It's not like he accidentally hit me. He kind of was bent down, raised up and clipped me in the face. So if he doesn't do that, I don't think I react. I have no reason to do what I did. So a little bit of frustration and emotion in the game. But like I mentioned, I think it was more dangerous what he tried to do than what I did.

(On whether or not he thought Osgood was really hurt): ``No. He gets shots harder than my slash. I think on the moment it looked worse than it really is. If you look at the replay, I don't think even a player (non-goalie) can get hurt with that.''

Dave Tippett said he has not heard anything fromn the league, that he doesn'yt expect a suspension, and believes he will have a final decision at some point today:

``We'll hear something today,'' Tippett said. ``I don't suspect anything. I suspect he'll be a player. Looking at the situation, I can't see how it would be a suspension, myself, but that's for them to figure out. And from our side, I'm going to prepare like Ribeiro's a player and move forward.''

If anyone has any further updates, please post. I think they'll say something and hopefully this delay indicates one is coming. Not as bad as Pronger, but worth one game at least. League can't have this happen after the game has ended.

Edited by sixer

He's wearing a full face mask. What's he bitching about? :D

haha whoops you're right. blame that on jet lag and not getting to watch the game =[

Edited by David

I just got a text from TSN.ca that reads:

"Mike Ribiero, Steve Ott, Chris Osgood and Kris Draper fined for Game 2 actions"

I thought, Draper? This makes no sense. They sent a correction text like 5 seconds ago that said Draper was not fined. Nothing on the website yet, but it looks like no suspensions and an undeserved fine for Ozzy. Way to go league.

EDIT: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237498&amp...s=topStory_main

Edited by adtthosa

(When asked if he thought he would be disciplined): ``No. Well, if they do suspend me for one game, hopefully they suspend him for two games.''

(When asked what happened with Osgood): ``I think if you did a replay, he (Osgood) actually tries to do it (hit me with his stick). It's not like he accidentally hit me. He kind of was bent down, raised up and clipped me in the face. So if he doesn't do that, I don't think I react. I have no reason to do what I did. So a little bit of frustration and emotion in the game. But like I mentioned, I think it was more dangerous what he tried to do than what I did.

(On whether or not he thought Osgood was really hurt): ``No. He gets shots harder than my slash. I think on the moment it looked worse than it really is. If you look at the replay, I don't think even a player (non-goalie) can get hurt with that.''

:nopity:

Dallas needs to shut up and worry about getting back into the series. Two games in a row they've complained to the media.

WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

TSN

The National Hockey League will not suspend any Dallas Star or Detroit Red Wing players for late game antics that occurred late in Game 2 of the Western Conference final.

Stars centre Mike Ribeiro turned up the dial on the nastiness meter at the conclusion of Game 2 after slashing Red Wings' goaltender Chris Osgood in the chest as the buzzer sounded on a 2-1 Detroit victory. The Stars' centre was handed a match penalty for attempt to injure, which carried with it an automatic review by NHL officials. Seconds before the incident, Osgood stuck the butt-end of his stick out as Ribeiro skated by the Detroit net, prompting Ribeiro's retaliation.

Both players have been fined undisclosed amounts by the NHL.

"Even if I did butt-end him, I mean it was an accident, I don't think that justifies a two-hander over top of the net," said Osgood after the game. "He could have gone about it a different way or said something to me."

The incident occurred as the Red Wings were putting the finishing touches on another dominant effort against the Stars. The frustrations of the Stars spilled over with five seconds remaining in regulation as Stars' agitator Steve Ott received a minor for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct for punching Detroit's Kris Draper. Ott was also fined for the incident.

Edited by sixer

I'm not terribly surprised, but this is a horrible decision by the league.

They're saying that if you feel you were wronged in some way by another player, you can 2-hand them across the chest and only worry about a fine.

I don't mind Ozzie being fined, but guys can't swing their stick at other players. Ribeiro should sit a game.

I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same League who only gave Pronger 8 games for stepping on a guy with his skate on, and who continually give Simon 7th, 8th, 9th, chances.

Robidas and Ribeiro are two different players.

But both are FUGLY enough in their own right to be awarded the Phantom mask!

haha i didn't know they were different people... I mean i knew they were but i thought the masked man was Riberio last night!

Pathetic. I can understand not suspending that sack of s***, but fining Osgood for a 2 minute penalty is a complete joke. Never one to wish injury on another player but few things could happen to Ribeiro that would make me sad.

They're saying that if you feel you were wronged in some way by another player, you can 2-hand them across the chest and only worry about a fine.

Totally agree!

I hope Philly sees this and takes out Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar and Fleury. Should only be a fine, go ahead and 2-hand anyone across the chest.

In fact, encourage your kids to do it when they play as well.

What a joke.

ps. Don't really hope, want to play a full Pens team in Final.

Screw it.

Just beat them in four games. That will satisfy me.

I agree, just send 'em home after 4 games. Don't even address it or go after him.

Edit: make them think something is going to happen, and they'll be distracted, watching their backs.

Edited by Barrie

Well it's good to know you're allowed to two hand a stick dangerously across another player. I guess the next time Turco trips or slashes our guys - we can two hand a stick across the POS.

Edited by aflac9262