• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

The Ice in Dallas...

Rate this topic

I haven't seen many comments on the ice last night... did anyone else think it was awful?

I always thought that if a team really wanted to mess with the Wings' game, they would purposefully create bad ice to disrupt the Wings passes, creating a lot of opportunities for odd man rushes. That has happened a lot in Dallas this series.

Not saying they did it on purpose, obviously weather is the culprit... but it really seemed to affect the game, IMO.

I think it directly affected the game. You could tell with them having the puck and then the puck would just stop and they'd have to go back a few feet to get it making it hard to get some real momentum going. Sad. Stupid ice.

We definately noticed. The ice condition led to Dallas' powerplay goal. Rafalski fell trying to puck handle and had to take the penalty to prevent the breakaway.

Edited by Ozzie30

The ice is always awful in Dallas this time of year. Probably year round too. Been that way since the North Stars moved there.

I'll never understand why the league lets that arena get away with crappy conditions. I heard, apparently before game 3 the NHL sent an ice inspector to Dallas to check things out. WTF did he look at? The ice was for s*** in game 3 and 4 as well. To be fair what can he do anyway... make them play in another arena because the morons in Dallas can't figure out how to make and keep ice? They seem to have fewer problems in Phoenix, you'd think Dallas might take a page from them, but no.

Playing against Dallas means you have to fight not only the team but the ice, and now, apparently the officials too.

(on edit: fixed typo)

Edited by Chris L

Well let us all remember not everyone takes as much pride in their ice as Al does.

This is true... I recall reading a players' poll where Edmonton and Detroit were considered to have the best ice.

Whatever. We will not play in Dallas this season anymore so..

The ice in Pittsburgh is worse than the ice in Dallas...

Its a good thing the Wings will have home ice advantage.

This is true... I recall reading a players' poll where Edmonton and Detroit were considered to have the best ice.

I just remember an interview with Al with him talking about how much pride he takes in his ice, and how he is always asking the players how the ice feels. He said the worst thing for him, is for a player to leave Detroit talking about how bad the ice was and not how bad the Wings beat them.

The ice is always awful in Dallas this time of year. Probably year round too. Been that way since the North Stars moved there.

I'll never understand why the league lets that arena get away with crappy conditions. I heard, apparently before game 3 the NHL sent an ice inspector to Dallas to check things out. WTF did he look at? The ice was for s*** in game 3 and 4 as well. To be fair what can he do anyway... make them play in another arena because the morons in Dallas can't figure out how to make and keep ice? They seem to have fewer problems in Phoenix, you'd think Dallas might take a page from them, but no.

Playing against Dallas means you have to fight not only the team but the ice, and now, apparently the officials too.

(on edit: fixed typo)

It's a little thing called humidity. They dont have it in Phoenix. It wasn't the heat that makes the ice poor. Hell it was Maybe in the low 80's yesterday. But, there was a threat of storms all day long and that created tons of humidity. The relative humidity yesterday was 90% percent.

And that last statement of yours was one of the most hypocritical statements I've seen here. "Dallas whines. They wont give us credit when we win."

You sir, are whining. I understand that goal should have counted, but it didn't. If you remember back to game 5 of our series against San Jose there were TWO missed calls on goals and BOTH went to Toronto for review and they still f***ed it up. But, it doesnt matter. If one or two blown calls costs you the game, you have bigger fish to fry.

I don't know what its like in Dallas right now, but I'm about 3 hours south of the Big D, and its been really humid here lately. My local ice rink has the same problem when its really humid out.

It's a little thing called humidity. They dont have it in Phoenix. It wasn't the heat that makes the ice poor. Hell it was Maybe in the low 80's yesterday. But, there was a threat of storms all day long and that created tons of humidity. The relative humidity yesterday was 90% percent.

And that last statement of yours was one of the most hypocritical statements I've seen here. "Dallas whines. They wont give us credit when we win."

You sir, are whining. I understand that goal should have counted, but it didn't. If you remember back to game 5 of our series against San Jose there were TWO missed calls on goals and BOTH went to Toronto for review and they still f***ed it up. But, it doesnt matter. If one or two blown calls costs you the game, you have bigger fish to fry.

Dallas are just as big of whiners as probably Colorado. Fact of the matter is every major sports analyst minus the ones in Dallas obviously have said if Dats goal counts then the series is over. Truth of the matter is Detroit gets the lead and holds it. Dallas calling Detroit whiners is where the buck stops. As I said in another thread the 2 games in Dallas made them look like the little boy that cries to mommy and gets what he wants. Every call they cried about they got. Welcome back to Detroit. Enjoy not getting BS calls against Holmstrom.

Keenan pulled that crap in St. Louis back in the mid-90s. He kept the ice soft when Detroit was in town. As for Dallas, there's nothing they can do about it as far as I know. And both teams still had to play on the same surface, so it's not like it was a literal advantage. But theoretically, there is an advantage since Detroit lives and dies by puck possession.

Sidenote: That Zubov to Modano goal you have in your sig was beyond awesome. When I was watching that game, it instantly become one of my favorites of the postseason.

If one or two blown calls costs you the game, you have bigger fish to fry.

I think you meant "series"? One or two goals in one game in the playoffs is often all it takes.

I do feel like the refs have been trying to "make up" for the one goal with Holmstrom screening in game one that could have been called either way, as well as the handful of soft penalties Dallas received in that game (and Tippet screamed bloody hell about) -- but enough is enough, quit the "make up" calls (and that includes the couple thrown the Red Wings way at the very end of game 4... ironically, shortly before Ott attempted maul/rape (I couldn't tell) Homstrom on the ice. Just call the game.

haha if we can't win with a missed call then we have bigger fish to fry?

are you serious? it wasn't like it was a missed penalty.

THEY CALLED OFF A GOAL!!!!!

who KNOWS where the momentum would have gone had that counted. It could have been a whole different game.

haha yeah. It was his first game back in forever after having a broken foot and a sports hernia

And even though he wasn't fully up to speed, he looked very good that game. He was a little off, but that's to be expected since he hadn't been playing for months.

Dallas are just as big of whiners as probably Colorado AND DETROIT. Fact of the matter is every major sports analyst minus the ones in Dallas obviously have said if Dats goal counts then the series is over.

Edited on your behalf. This is a thread whining about the ice and you're whining about a goal that got disallowed.

Truth of the matter is Detroit gets the lead and holds it.

There's no truth to that, just speculation on your part and on the part of a bunch of talking heads who most often apparently don't know what they're talking about unless they are kissing the Wings' asses.

There's no truth to that, just speculation on your part and on the part of a bunch of talking heads who most often apparently don't know what they're talking about unless they are kissing the Wings' asses.

Sounds like you're finally starting to get it, CalWingsFan.

haha if we can't win with a missed call then we have bigger fish to fry?

are you serious? it wasn't like it was a missed penalty.

THEY CALLED OFF A GOAL!!!!!

who KNOWS where the momentum would have gone had that counted. It could have been a whole different game.

It could have, but it wasn't. Whats the point in talking about it now? Why not discuss things about how your team could play better instead of making excuses why they didnt.

And even though he wasn't fully up to speed, he looked very good that game. He was a little off, but that's to be expected since he hadn't been playing for months.

Yeah. Theres a calming feeling when he's on the ice for us.