• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

Dispelling some myths: the Pittsburgh Penguins

Rate this topic

Yeah, but the Wings are all, like, 40 years old, so that balances it out.

:lol: That's why I've loved this playoff run compared to past years, not a lot of talk about the Wings being old OR soft. Just good.

Cheers!

esteef

It doesn't matter who played who. Compare the 2 teams head to head:

Offensive forwards - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen against Crosby, Malkin, Hossa That's a tough one. Slight advantage Pens

Defensive forwards - Big advantage Wings with our 2 Selke finalists

Offensive D Men - Big advantage Wings. Looking at the numbers, 18% of the Pens points come from the D verses 24% for the Wings

Defensive D Men - Big advante Wings with Norris Nick, Nick Jr, Rafalski, Stuart

Goaltending - slight advantage Wings. The numbers are about the same but Ozzie's experience give us the upper hand

Home Ice - Wings

Face Off Wins - big advantage Wings and this is crucial for a puck possesion team

Coaching - advantage Wings with our Jack Adams finalist and Babcock's Finals experience

Grit/Physical Play - slight advantage Wings Watch out for Kronwall and Stuart

Hunger/drive - advantage Wings who got robbed last year and are playing like a team possesed

Ok, granted some of this is opinion but its not far off. 10 factors and 9 of them Detroit has the advantage.

Now I understand the Canadian bias for the Pens, but people, this isn't going to be close. Wings in 4 or 5

I find it funny how you tell me "it doesn't matter who played who" and then you go on to say that some of your response is *opinion*. While, I don't argue that the Wings are the better team, and that its their series to lose, what difference does it make to compare playoff opponents to each teams strength's and weaknesses when they haven't played each other all season. They are all contributing factors in to analyzing how the teams will matchup.

Your reasoning is no better (or worse) than analyzing things on paper. It's just that....an analysis until the puck drops.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

:lol: That's why I've loved this playoff run compared to past years, not a lot of talk about the Wings being old OR soft. Just good.

Cheers!

esteef

Before game 1 is over, the Pens and most of the fans will realize that they can't beat the Wings, they are just that good

I find it funny how you tell me "it doesn't matter who played who" and then you go on to say that some of your response is *opinion*. While, I don't argue that the Wings are the better team, and that its their series to lose, what difference does it make to compare playoff opponents to each teams strength's and weaknesses when they haven't played each other all season. They are all contributing factors in to analyzing how the teams will matchup.

Your reasoning is no better (or worse) than analyzing things on paper. It's just that....an analization until the puck drops.

HaHa! Is this what you meant?

analization - The action, thought and delivery of the extreme and thorough phallicular gustation of one's anus. (urbandictionary.com)

...or 'analysis'.

Cheers!

esteef

I talking with my friends (all Blackhawks fans/no love for the Wngs) they state the only wildcard in this series are the officials.

To quote one "The wings are going to get f***ed hard by the officials" and to quote another "the pens will get every call, the wings will have alot of "missed calls" but they will be made up later in garbage time to even up the score sheet. If you dont think so you are a dumbass."

So the officiating bias is even being pointed out by our most bitter rivals.

I talking with my friends (all Blackhawks fans/no love for the Wngs) they state the only wildcard in this series are the officials.

To quote one "The wings are going to get f***ed hard by the officials" and to quote another "the pens will get every call, the wings will have alot of "missed calls" but they will be made up later in garbage time to even up the score sheet. If you dont think so you are a dumbass."

Using BlackHawks fans as a source of info is never good.

HaHa! Is this what you meant?

analization - The action, thought and delivery of the extreme and thorough phallicular gustation of one's anus. (urbandictionary.com)

...or 'analysis'.

Cheers!

esteef

:lol:

Gotta lighten the mood somehow with the never-ending wait we've had to endure. :P

Congrats on the President's Cup, beat up on Columbus, Nashville, Chicago & St Louis. Not exactly the Devils, Flyers, Rangers & Islanders.

Drop 2 games to the vaunted N-ville predators, swept a Colorado team the limped into the playoffs with the most losses of any playoff team, and then dropped another 2 games to a beat-up & tired Dallas team.

This Detroit team will be in for a surprise, so Pens fans, make sure your seatbacks & tray tables are in their full upright & locked position, & all carry-on items are stowed, as we prepare for take-off!!!"

Before game 1 is over, the Pens and most of the fans will realize that they can't beat the Wings, they are just that good

I'll withhold any judgement until the games play out. I don't want to use the refs as an excuse (especially since the series hasn't even started yet), but I will keep an eye out just to be sure.

The way I look at it, it was the Pens who made the Rangers look in your words "Impotent". Both the Rangers and Stars had 97 points on the year so its funny how you call the Stars a good team but the Rangers are no good. Glad to see you have an impartial mind and you aren't like, boo whoo, the Wings play all the hard teams...

Simple fact, each team played 2 bad teams and 1 ok team.

The best defensemen Pittsburgh has faced are Chris Phillips, (an injured) Derian Hatcher, Marc Staal, and Michal Rosival.

End of story.

Congrats on the President's Cup, beat up on Columbus, Nashville, Chicago & St Louis. Not exactly the Devils, Flyers, Rangers & Islanders.

Drop 2 games to the vaunted N-ville predators, swept a Colorado team the limped into the playoffs with the most losses of any playoff team, and then dropped another 2 games to a beat-up & tired Dallas team.

This Detroit team will be in for a surprise, so Pens fans, make sure your seatbacks & tray tables are in their full upright & locked position, & all carry-on items are stowed, as we prepare for take-off!!!"

Congratulations! You sir, have no idea what you're talking about!

Check the Wings' record against the Central versus the remainder of the Western Conference.

Dallas- GA 207 for the season

NY- GA 199 for the season

What makes them better?

Dallas was missing Zubov and Boucher for the majority of the season.

The Wings' record against the Central was pretty weak this year. So no, the Wings weren't beating up on the Central. They were only beating up on the rest of the league.

The Predators have a much better defense than any team Pittsburgh has faced so far.

If you really want to argue that Pittsburgh's competition in the playoffs has been so much tougher than the Wings, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Ottawa was without Fisher and Alfredsson was playing with a third degree MCL tear. That team was on free-fall for most of the season anyway. The Rangers are decent but had problems scoring all season and most of their defensemen are 4/5/6 guys in the West. If the Stars were tired and beat up, what do you have to say about Philadelphia? The Flyers were missing Coburn and Timonen. Hatcher (already one of the slowest guys in the league) was playing on one leg and Jason Smith had two separated shoulders.

Seriously, the #1 defensemen (Phillips, Tyutin/Rosival, Hatcher) on the teams the Penguins beat wouldn't crack the Wings' top four.

Chew on that for a while.

The Wings' record against the Central was pretty weak this year. So no, the Wings weren't beating up on the Central. They were only beating up on the rest of the league.

The Predators have a much better defense than any team Pittsburgh has faced so far.

If you really want to argue that Pittsburgh's competition in the playoffs has been so much tougher than the Wings, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Ottawa was without Fisher and Alfredsson was playing with a third degree MCL tear. That team was on free-fall for most of the season anyway. The Rangers are decent but had problems scoring all season and most of their defensemen are 4/5/6 guys in the West. If the Stars were tired and beat up, what do you have to say about Philadelphia? The Flyers were missing Coburn and Timonen. Hatcher (already one of the slowest guys in the league) was playing on one leg and Jason Smith had two separated shoulders.

Seriously, the #1 defensemen (Phillips, Tyutin/Rosival, Hatcher) on the teams the Penguins beat wouldn't crack the Wings' top four.

I feel another Sid comment coming from our flightless friends.

I don't, the wait for the game is just absolutely gutting me.

I'll even save you the trip TheWellHungarian.

Detroit versus the Central: 17-12-3

Detroit versus the East: 7-2-1

Detroit versus the Pacific: 15-5

Detroit versus the Northwest: 15-2-3

MEAN OLD RED WINGS, ONLY BEATING UP ON CENTRAL OPPONENTS!

your point being that you struggle against weak teams?

I'll even save you the trip TheWellHungarian.

Detroit versus the Central: 17-12-3

Detroit versus the East: 7-2-1

Detroit versus the Pacific: 15-5

Detroit versus the Northwest: 15-2-3

MEAN OLD RED WINGS, ONLY BEATING UP ON CENTRAL OPPONENTS!

I don't, the wait for the game is just absolutely gutting me.

If the wait is gutting you just imagine how you'll feel if the vastly-inferior Red Wings miraculously win tomorrow.

your point being that you struggle against weak teams?

The Central teams are tailored to beat the Wings. Regardless, it's funny how you say the Wings got all their points from beating up on the Central and now that you've been proven wrong it's simply that the wings "struggle against weak teams."

It shouldn't matter at this point anyway, unless you believe the Penguins are a weak team.

True, all of the regular season & playoff opponents are all moot points now that both teams are here. Fortunatley or unfortunatley, I get to leave my cubicle & this lively message board for day and get to pick the kids up from school.

So I will call my shot for game one: Pens 5 Wings 3, with an empty-netter.

If I am wrong, I will be back here Sunday morning to eat crow.

Good luck & God bless.

The Central teams are tailored to beat the Wings. Regardless, it's funny how you say the Wings got all their points from beating up on the Central and now that you've been proven wrong it's simply that the wings "struggle against weak teams."

It shouldn't matter at this point anyway, unless you believe the Penguins are a weak team.