• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SidneyCrosby

How can the Pens beat the Wings?

Rate this topic

Guest SidneyCrosby

Pens fan here.

I've seen the Redwings play some awesome hockey; I have this vision of the Redwings completely swarming the Pens, pushing them around, and overwhelming them in game 1.

I know as a team the Redwings are better, but what are their weaknesses, in your opinion? Is their anything about their game that worries you? I read that they don't have much offensive depth, is that true? I thought they did.

For the Pens, the defensemen worry me.

- Gill - Very smart and pretty good, but slower than hell

- Whitney - Was horrible 95% of the season, and is just OK in the playoffs.

- Oprik - Big hitter, but just OK defensively.

Also, the Pens tend to fall asleep once in a while for a whole period or two.

On the other hand, every offensive player comes back and plays great defense, so that's good.

I'd recommend having your D take the puck away from our forwards as much as possible, for starters... ;)

Our worst enemy usually appears to be ourselves... At times (like in Game 5 vs. Stars) the Wings looked like they had concrete in their boots and had a real lack of energy). Dallas also seemed to give the Wings some fits by getting their sticks out there and disrupting the Wings' puck control game.

Edited by Gizmo

IF:

Crosby and Malkin lines outplay our first and second line, respectively. (I mean whole 5, not just 3 forwards).

Your defense will limit our chances.

Fleury stays as good as he has been so far.

Your role players are better than ours.

The latest weakness in my mind is taking penalties. That was a problem in game 6 and if they do that against this Pens PP that could be problems. Game 5 it was a little bit of a problem just from when they took them, they were momentum killers. And if Fleury is better than he has been. He's going to have to be. After round 2 some people thought that the reason the Wings outshot the Preds and Avs was because they just weren't as good but the Wings did pretty much the same thing against the Stars. So the Pens will need to be in for a barage of shots so he's going to need to stand on his head at times I would think. If the Wings play even close to the way they did during the 9 game winning streak I don't think the Pens have a chance to go longer than 6 games but I think Fleury being red hot and bad penalties would be two biggest factors for a Pens victory. I'll be interested to see how the first 2 games play out.

Game 5 it was a little bit of a problem just from when they took them, they were momentum killers.

Agreed... In Game 5 the Wings started committing some frustration penalties that killed any chance of getting their mojo back. The crosscheck by Homer immediately after his near-miss really stood out as an example of this.

Edited by Gizmo

Win Faceoffs. This is an absolutely huge aspect of this series, which Detroit dominates and Pittsburgh struggles with. If the Pens want to score goals, they need to win faceoffs to prevent a puck-possession team as talented as Detroit from always having the biscuit.

Be cautiously pressing on the PP. The Wings continue to score on the oppositions PP, and given that Pittsburgh has the best PP in the postseason, we might see the Pens pressing a little too much if the game is tied or if they are behind. If that happens guys, the Red Wings forwards (especially Zetterberg - 2 shorties alone in the Dallas series) are great at reading the play snagging an intended cross-ice pass for an at best mismatch going the other way.

Play as a team. If the Penguins young guns lose game 1, and come out and try and do too much individually (which can happen with a youthful bunch), the Wings will pick them apart. This Wings team feeds off the opposition's mistakes and incorrect positioning. If the Pens stop playing the team game due to being behind, the Wings will capitalize.

Guest nutz2u

Everybody knows that Crosby is the darling of the NHL so you can bet your ass that the Wings will be in the penalty box more. I firmly believe it will be an uphill battle for the Wings from the get-go because the ice will be tilted in favor of, "Hockeys Saviour."

Everybody knows that Crosby is the darling of the NHL so you can bet your ass that the Wings will be in the penalty box more. I firmly believe it will be an uphill battle for the Wings from the get-go because the ice will be tilted in favor of, "Hockeys Saviour."

All that conspiracy theory aside, I think the Wings will take the majority of the penalties in this series regardless of the "hockey saviour" claims. As a whole, the Pens offense is quicker (foot speed-wise) than the Wings which will cause the occasional Interference or Holding penalties. If the Wings can limit those, they'll be in great shape.

It can't happen.

OK seriously:

Matchups, matchups, matchups. Lidstrom can't play against both Crosby's and Malkin's lines at once.

Win the penalty battle. Don't take dumb penalties, because it takes your best players off the ice - Crosby and Malkin don't do PK.

Clog up the front of your own net, BIG TIME. Dallas forgot to do this in Game 6 and it cost them the series. The Wings are programmed to shoot, shoot, shoot, and they'll do it from wherever they have the puck. The further from the net they have the puck, the less chance it'll go in. All 4 Wings goals in Game 6 came from within 2 feet of the goaltender. Most of the Wings losses are low-scoring, because the defense rarely cracks, but the offense can be limited by keeping them on the perimeter. The Pens' game plan needs to stress patience. Hard work in front of your own net, and count on your ability to get a lightning-strike goal when you do have the puck.

Win Faceoffs. This is an absolutely huge aspect of this series, which Detroit dominates and Pittsburgh struggles with. If the Pens want to score goals, they need to win faceoffs to prevent a puck-possession team as talented as Detroit from always having the biscuit.

Be cautiously pressing on the PP. The Wings continue to score on the oppositions PP, and given that Pittsburgh has the best PP in the postseason, we might see the Pens pressing a little too much if the game is tied or if they are behind. If that happens guys, the Red Wings forwards (especially Zetterberg - 2 shorties alone in the Dallas series) are great at reading the play snagging an intended cross-ice pass for an at best mismatch going the other way.

Play as a team. If the Penguins young guns lose game 1, and come out and try and do too much individually (which can happen with a youthful bunch), the Wings will pick them apart. This Wings team feeds off the opposition's mistakes and incorrect positioning. If the Pens stop playing the team game due to being behind, the Wings will capitalize.

perfect..couldn't have said it better.

The Stars BLEW at protecting their own end during the power play. Zetterberg's goals weren't the only shorthanded chances. I've never seen so many shorthanded chances in a series. Datsyuk came close to a goal, Draper had a chance or two, Lidstrom had a chance or two. Every time the Wings challenged on the power play instead of laying back simply trying to clog up passing lanes (in other words, just about every Dallas power play) the Stars looked surprised.

If we play as sucky as we did in Games 4 and 5 of the Dallas series you will win otherwise......Give up the idea.

Aside from the initial burst out of the gate in Game 5, Detroit played just fine. They just didn't finish their chances, and Turco played out of his mind.

I know as a team the Redwings are better, but what are their weaknesses, in your opinion? Is their anything about their game that worries you? I read that they don't have much offensive depth, is that true? I thought they did.

Our secondary scoring is actually OK - we were 2nd in goals scored during the regular season after all. The problem is that our 2nd line players (Filpulla, Cleary, Franzen)

are streaky rather than consistent, regular scorers. Add to that that Franzen is still out, Cleary hasn't recovered from the 15lbs of muscle he lost after his broken jaw and Filpulla is playing on a bad leg.

That 2nd line matchup is far and away the Pens biggest advantage, which they must capitalise on.

Other weaknesses - Samuelsson sucks. McCarty has taken too many penalties. Samuelsson sucks.

Another thing, the Wings don't give up many scoring chances, but when they do they tend to be gilt-edged ones. Dallas missed too many of those opportunities - I expect Pittsburgh won't. They mustn't if they are to stand a chance.

I agree that Dallas was horrific on converting some golden chances. We're talking a wide open four on one where Ozzie wasn't in great position sorts of deals and the Stars totally whiffed on it.

and may I add : if you turnover the puck, make sure its to Sammy

:blink:

Yeah that way he can pass to Flip or Kron and they can pass to a shooter to score, or in some cases he just passed it to a shooter and they scored!

Know what you are talking about before you start running your gums, Sammy's fore check has let directly to three goals!!!!

Granted I believe all 3 were put home by Franzen who is out, he still has made the play, and hopefully Franzen will be back.

But good try anyways, unfortunately:

FAIL!!!

Pens fan here.

I've seen the Redwings play some awesome hockey; I have this vision of the Redwings completely swarming the Pens, pushing them around, and overwhelming them in game 1.

For the Pens, the defensemen worry me.

- Gill - Very smart and pretty good, but slower than hell

- Whitney - Was horrible 95% of the season, and is just OK in the playoffs.

- Oprik - Big hitter, but just OK defensively.

Also, the Pens tend to fall asleep once in a while for a whole period or two.

On the other hand, every offensive player comes back and plays great defense, so that's good.

Key for the Pens in the series:

1) get the lead. Detroit usually plays very well with the lead, less so without it.

2) avoid turnovers at all costs

3) clog Detroit's passing lanes, Detroit's style depends on always having an open man and finding him with the pass.

4) pressure the puck carrier so that he has less time to make a good pass

5) force Detroit to take low percentage shots from bad angles

6) limit rebound opportunities

7) Stay out of the box

If Pens can do all of these they have a good chance of beating the Wings, if not Fleury will spend a lot of time picking the puck out the back of his net.